Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » How to work with other compilers (e. g.: Borland Turbo or Builder, DigitalMars, DJGPP, OpenWatcom)
icon9.gif  How to work with other compilers (e. g.: Borland Turbo or Builder, DigitalMars, DJGPP, OpenWatcom) [message #10612] Thu, 19 July 2007 01:57 Go to next message
ajmf77 is currently offline  ajmf77
Promising Member
Hello!

U++ has a really good point against others GUI and IDE.

But, i wish to know how to work with other compilers, despite the MSVC8 and GNUMinGW implementations.

If exist any suggest or idea, all of them are welcome!

thanks!

Alejandro Muņoz Fonttz
Civil Eng. (PE)
Santiago de Chile, Chile.
Re: How to work with other compilers (e. g.: Borland Turbo or Builder, DigitalMars, DJGPP, OpenWatco [message #10627 is a reply to message #10612] Thu, 19 July 2007 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waxblood is currently offline  waxblood
Here's the little I know about working with other compilers...

The only thing I've found in the documentation so far is this
http://www.ultimatepp.org/app$ide$ConfiguringPackagesAssembl ies$en-us.html

Custom Build Steps and Building packages from an ESC macro section ans

In this thread they talk about Digital Mars [in]compatibility with Upp

http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=692 3

Ciao,
David

[Updated on: Fri, 20 July 2007 10:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to work with other compilers (e. g.: Borland Turbo or Builder, DigitalMars, DJGPP, OpenWatco [message #10680 is a reply to message #10612] Sat, 21 July 2007 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
ajmf77 wrote on Wed, 18 July 2007 19:57

Hello!

U++ has a really good point against others GUI and IDE.

But, i wish to know how to work with other compilers, despite the MSVC8 and GNUMinGW implementations.

If exist any suggest or idea, all of them are welcome!

thanks!

Alejandro Muņoz Fonttz
Civil Eng. (PE)
Santiago de Chile, Chile.

You would need to add "builder" code for particular compilers, or create build script.

Anyway, the real problem is that there is only a little reason to do so. Supported compilers are free and good (C++ compliant).

There are no other C++ compilers on linux or Mac OS X. On windows, you could consider using Borland, Watcom or Digital Mars. Unfortunately, a couple of years ago they were not good enough to compile U++.

AFAIK, there are recent efforts to revive Digital Mars support. We will see how that goes...

Mirek
Re: How to work with other compilers (e. g.: Borland Turbo or Builder, DigitalMars, DJGPP, OpenWatco [message #10686 is a reply to message #10680] Sun, 22 July 2007 09:19 Go to previous message
waxblood is currently offline  waxblood
luzr wrote:

Quote:

There are no other C++ compilers on linux or Mac OS X.

????? Shocked

Waht about LLVM http://llvm.org/? Seems very promising to me. It has a number of nice features:

-written in C++, heavy use of STL (it's always better than no templates at all Rolling Eyes )
-As the name suggests, it can work as a Virtual Machine on produced RISC-like virtual code (it's the equivalent of GCC RTL)
-offers support to run-time and off-line optimizations based on code profiling
-there's a lot of documentation
-currently builds large projects such as mozilla and Qt
-Is sponsored by Apple
-its licence is bsd-like

drawbacks:
-currently uses GCC as Front End to parse C and C++ files. translating results into LLVM assembly.
-as a consequence of previous point, LLVM front end licence is the the same as gcc (GPL)

good news:
a fast new C front-end is under-way.. It is quite complete, C++ and ObjC support will follow (but time is needed, of course)
look at
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2007-July/009817. html

Ciao,
David

Previous Topic: generate Makefile utility
Next Topic: Static linking to my custom lib on Linux -- is there a better solution?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:34:35 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02180 seconds