Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Widgets - General questions or Mixed problems » Missing Functions for Layouter
Missing Functions for Layouter [message #10722] Wed, 25 July 2007 10:34 Go to next message
Zardos is currently offline  Zardos
Hello,

because I'm more productive if I use layout manager and automatic gui layouting functions instead of moving widgets on the screen I started to programm some simple layouting stuff.

But soon I ran into problems. What I would need is a "GetOptSize()" functions for controls. This function should return the "optimum size" of a control. For example for a button it should take into account:

the used font
the label
the image
default margin

... Because there is nothing like a GetOptSize() for Ctrls I started to make my own outside of the class like this:

Size GetOptSize(Ctrl &c) {
	Button *b = dynamic_cast<Button *>(&c);
	if(b) {
		Size s;

s = GetTLTextSize(WString(b->GetDesc()), StdFont());
		s.cx += GUI_MARGIN * 2;

return s;
	} else
		return c.GetStdSize();
}

... well not nice, but it should work.

What I'm really missing are a function to get the used font for ctrls and for buttons a GetImage:

If I would start adding the following functions to button (and other controls):

GetFont();
GetImage();

...and create a patch would you accept it?

Or even better would you like to have a "virtual GetOptSize()" for Ctrls?

Or do you have any other suggestions?

- Ralf
Re: Missing Functions for Layouter [message #10723 is a reply to message #10722] Wed, 25 July 2007 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Actually, there is GetStdSize.

Unfortunately, for many widgets, it is not implemented correctly...

In fact, there are three of kind:

GetMinSize (minimal size)
GetStdSize (optimal size)
GetMaxSize (maximal size)

Default implementation of GetStdSize calls GetMinsSize (at least, this does make sense...)

Mirek
Re: Missing Functions for Layouter [message #10724 is a reply to message #10723] Wed, 25 July 2007 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, thanks.

I have found this functions. But as you wrote some of them are not correct.

Especially for buttons: It allways returns the same size regardless of the label and use image, font, etc...

So,

if I would start "fixing" the GetStdSize functions. Starting with the buttons, you would accept it?

I thought GetStdSize is made this way by itension (always return a "default" size - independent of the content). ...But of course if GetSdtSize means something like "optimum size" then we could start fixing the functions.

Edit:
Anyway, I could get around an "incorrect" GetStdSize with my own function. It would just be very helpful to have access to the used Iamge and the used font for a button. If I miss more for other controls I will mention it again in the forum. Wink

- Ralf

[Updated on: Wed, 25 July 2007 11:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Missing Functions for Layouter [message #10725 is a reply to message #10724] Wed, 25 July 2007 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Zardos wrote on Wed, 25 July 2007 04:47

if I would start "fixing" the GetStdSize functions. Starting with the buttons, you would accept it?
- Ralf

Yes. Just will need a bit of thinking how min and std values should look like.

OTOH, you seem to be the main user, so I guess you will get it right Smile

Mirek
Re: Missing Functions for Layouter [message #10726 is a reply to message #10725] Wed, 25 July 2007 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=luzr wrote on Wed, 25 July 2007 10:57][quote Yes. Just will need a bit of thinking how min and std values should look like.

OTOH, you seem to be the main user, so I guess you will get it right Smile

Ok thanks. Smile

I will start with the button and submit the patch here. if I encounter more I will submit the additional patches again.

- Ralf
Re: Missing Functions for Layouter [message #10727 is a reply to message #10725] Wed, 25 July 2007 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK,

here comes the patch for the button

- Ralf
Re: Missing Functions for Layouter [message #10747 is a reply to message #10727] Fri, 27 July 2007 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Should not these constants rather be chameleon variables?

Why Pusher::GetStdSize?

Re: Missing Functions for Layouter [message #10752 is a reply to message #10747] Fri, 27 July 2007 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luzr wrote on Fri, 27 July 2007 13:19

Should not these constants rather be chameleon variables?

Why Pusher::GetStdSize?

Ok, I will move necessary constants to chameleon. I will also reduce the new constants to a minimum and remove all constants related to Layout engines.

Pusher: GetStdSize:
I thought if someone derives from it, there would be a - hopefully - usable GetStdSize.
But no problem I will remove it.

Additional changes I discovered useful while programming my layouter:

I will more concentrate on GetMinSize(), because here it is relative clear what is meant: The minimum size which will not truncate an information (labels, text, ...).

For some controls - like buttons - I will supply GetStdSize().
For example I will add a small margin to the left and right of the button and make sure the button has a minimum default size.

Since my layouter is nearly complete I will soon start with checking and implementing GetMinSize(), GetStdSize() for some other controls and post the new patch for review.

I leave out GetMaxSize completely, because currently I have no clue what could be useful values for it.

Thanks,
Ralf
Re: Missing Functions for Layouter [message #10764 is a reply to message #10752] Fri, 27 July 2007 22:39 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
Pusher: Well, derived classes have to implement Paint, so it is doubtful GetMinSize is releveant for it...

GetMinSize vs GetStdSize -> that is exactly how we meant it Wink

GetMaxSize use is meant for top-level windows.

Previous Topic: Refresh(), Paint(Draw& w), or something else nearby?
Next Topic: there is no fontpusher class (just checking)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:55:56 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03084 seconds