Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Widgets - General questions or Mixed problems » Controls & classes design questions
Controls & classes design questions [message #11036] Thu, 16 August 2007 01:19 Go to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

First of all, thanks for such a promising framework.

My question comes from very common task.

My goal is to write an editor for some kind of graphics files. As for modern standard, editor is to be multi-tabbed, working with multiple files simultaneously.
It`s OK, I just added TabCtrl to main window.
Next move is to resolve design approach. My decision was to create a class representing single file in editor. This class contains main window Tab control`s tab, representing this file, and a GLCtrl object.
Something like this:
class MyFile
{
    MyFile (TabCtrl &tabs) { tab = tabs.Add("..."); }

GLCtrl         gl;
    TabCtrl::Item &tab;
};
//...
class MainWindow
{
    TabCtrl        tabs;
    Vector<MyFile> files;
};
//...
void MainWindow::OnNew()
{

files.Add(MyFile(tabs));
}

So my questions are:

1) Is this an optimal solution for decomposition controls on such a task?

2) I`ve read articles about moveable for a number of times, and just can`t understand, why application doesn`t crash since new MyFile object existed only within MainWindow::OnNew() scope?

3) Class MyFile contains GL control which has virtual methods for sure. Is it still moveable? How could that be?

4) What kind of copy constructor should I implement? What to do with gl and tab fields?

Thanx in advance.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 August 2007 01:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Controls & classes design questions [message #11044 is a reply to message #11036] Thu, 16 August 2007 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
Hello and welcome,

I think your design is mixing up access to controls and data at different levels and will probably lead to complications later. For instance: why does MyFile need access to the TabCtrl? Shouldn't that be managed by the MainWindow?

Personally I would do it something like this:
class MyFile : public GLCtrl {
    MyFile();

virtual void GLPaint();
    //...
};
//...
class MainWindow : public TopWindow
{
    TabCtrl        tabs;
    Array<MyFile> files;
};
//...
{

MyFile &file = files.Create<MyFile>();
    file.SizePos();
    tabs.Add(file, "filename");
}

You need to inherit from GLCtrl and overload GLPaint to be able to draw anything.

I'll try and answer your other questions about Moveable, but I'm not 100% so if I get something wrong hopefully someone will correct me:
2) I'm confused about this, because MSC8 won't even compile the code you posted, let alone run it.
3) No Ctrl or derived class is Moveable because they contain internal pointers to other Ctrls. However, what is not clear from the docs is that virtual methods are Moveable, but abstract methods are not (ie. virtual void Abstract() = 0; is not allowed). Array can store non-moveable types, but Vector et al. cannot.
4) As far as I can see you shouldn't need a copy-constructor.

Hope that helps,
James
Re: Controls & classes design questions [message #11047 is a reply to message #11044] Thu, 16 August 2007 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

You need to inherit from GLCtrl and overload GLPaint to be able to draw anything.

That's not true. GLCtrl call WhenGLPaint to which you can assign your painting routine:
GLCtrl gl;
gl.WhenGLPaint = THISBACK(MyGLPaint);
Re: Controls & classes design questions [message #11048 is a reply to message #11047] Thu, 16 August 2007 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
I stand corrected Smile
Re: Controls & classes design questions [message #11050 is a reply to message #11044] Thu, 16 August 2007 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

mrjt wrote on Thu, 16 August 2007 13:46

I think your design is mixing up access to controls and data at different levels and will probably lead to complications later. For instance: why does MyFile need access to the TabCtrl? Shouldn't that be managed by the MainWindow?

I rearranged structure and now MyFile has local tab object only. Main TabCtrl object access is needed only for creating and destroying specific file in editor (adding & removing tabs from control). And this adding & removal should be done inside MyFile class, I suppose.
For now, I have MyFile::ctor and MyFile::Close using TabCtrl (but not storing it`s reference anymore).

mrjt wrote

Personally I would do it something like this:
class MyFile : public GLCtrl {
    MyFile();

virtual void GLPaint();
    //...
};

I agree, in this case inheritance is better than inclusion. Thanks.

mrjt wrote

class MainWindow : public TopWindow
{
    TabCtrl        tabs;
    Array<MyFile> files;
};
//...
{

MyFile &file = files.Create<MyFile>();
    file.SizePos();
    tabs.Add(file, "filename");
}

2) I'm confused about this, because MSC8 won't even compile the code you posted, let alone run it.

It compiled, actually. There even was no rintime error(!).
I`m shocked too.
mrjt wrote

3) No Ctrl or derived class is Moveable because they contain internal pointers to other Ctrls. However, what is not clear from the docs is that virtual methods are Moveable, but abstract methods are not (ie. virtual void Abstract() = 0; is not allowed). Array can store non-moveable types, but Vector et al. cannot.

Wow... it`s just unclear moment. Suppose author should focus on it in manual. Proposing new conatiner classes and more important, new approach of handling with containers and elements - this must be explained much more than 2 articles. Examples must also be included. U++ is great, but it is unusual and complicated in moments, so good documentation is greatly needed.
mrjt wrote

4) As far as I can see you shouldn't need a copy-constructor.
Hope that helps,
James
If my class isn`t moveable, then of course not.
Thanks, James!
Re: Controls & classes design questions [message #11070 is a reply to message #11044] Sat, 18 August 2007 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mrjt wrote on Thu, 16 August 2007 05:46

Actually, classes with virtual methods are explicitly NOT MOVEABLE.

http://www.ultimatepp.org/srcdoc$Core$Moveable$en-us.html

Note that while with both MSC and GCC on x86, technically there is a little problem, we thought it is better to stay on the safer side, while "moving" objects with virtual methods makes only a little benefit.

Mirek
Re: Controls & classes design questions [message #11087 is a reply to message #11070] Sun, 19 August 2007 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Contributor
Then I must be misunderstanding something. I would be grateful if you could tell me why the following code works if virtual methods are non-moveable:
struct BaseClass
{
	BaseClass() { int1 = 1; }	

int int1;
	virtual int 	GetInt() 		{ return int1; }
	virtual String 	GetString() 	{ return "A String"; }
};

struct DerivedClass : public BaseClass, public Moveable<DerivedClass>
{
	DerivedClass() { int2 = 99; }	

int int2;
	virtual int 	GetInt() 		{ return int2; }
	virtual String 	GetString() 	{ return "This is a derived class"; }
};

GUI_APP_MAIN
{
	Vector<DerivedClass> v;

v.Add(DerivedClass());
	v.Add(DerivedClass());

for (int i = 0; i < v.GetCount(); i++)
		PromptOK(Format("Int: %d String: %s", v[i].GetInt(), v[i].GetString()));
}

James
Re: Controls & classes design questions [message #11089 is a reply to message #11087] Sun, 19 August 2007 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mrjt wrote on Sun, 19 August 2007 05:22

Then I must be misunderstanding something. I would be grateful if you could tell me why the following code works if virtual methods are non-moveable:
struct BaseClass
{
	BaseClass() { int1 = 1; }	

int int1;
	virtual int 	GetInt() 		{ return int1; }
	virtual String 	GetString() 	{ return "A String"; }
};

struct DerivedClass : public BaseClass, public Moveable<DerivedClass>
{
	DerivedClass() { int2 = 99; }	

int int2;
	virtual int 	GetInt() 		{ return int2; }
	virtual String 	GetString() 	{ return "This is a derived class"; }
};

GUI_APP_MAIN
{
	Vector<DerivedClass> v;

v.Add(DerivedClass());
	v.Add(DerivedClass());

for (int i = 0; i < v.GetCount(); i++)
		PromptOK(Format("Int: %d String: %s", v[i].GetInt(), v[i].GetString()));
}

James

Sure it does work - at least with GCC and MSC.

The problem is that C++ standard allows memcpy only for POD types. U++ extends this to moveable types, but that is technically violating C++ standard - such thing is undefined by standard.

Therefore we try to keep such extension as thin as possible. There is really not much practical advantage to having types with vtable moveable and in the same time, it is not that much unlikely that some compiler would implement virtual methods in a way that would not work with U++.
Re: Controls & classes design questions [message #14735 is a reply to message #11089] Wed, 12 March 2008 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HenryXin is currently offline  HenryXin
Promising Member
I also read these code.
This means the struct Moveable actually provide a moveable interface with NTL, doesn't provide the valid check method? Is right?
Thanks. Embarassed
Re: Controls & classes design questions [message #14742 is a reply to message #14735] Wed, 12 March 2008 14:34 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
HenryXin wrote on Wed, 12 March 2008 03:48

I also read these code.
This means the struct Moveable actually provide a moveable interface with NTL, doesn't provide the valid check method? Is right?
Thanks. Embarassed

Not quite sure I understand....

There is no way how to check moveabitity by either compiler or in runtime. Therefore type has to be marked as moveable by programmer, by inheriting from Moveable.

Actually, the alternative would be to avoid Moveable completely, but that still feels a little bit risky. Besides, all non-moveable types can still be stored in Array (including objects with virtual methods etc....)

Mirek
Previous Topic: Multithreading ans updating widgets
Next Topic: DropList bug when removing last item
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 14:05:45 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03625 seconds