Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS]
Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11414] Wed, 12 September 2007 00:50 Go to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
I'm testing U++ and TheIDE since less than one week, so I will put some (newbie) first impressions and what I'd like to see in next releases

-The concept of packages, nests and assemblies is very good. It forces some order in code, besides of other advantages. I'd prefere a three view on left pane, indeed. I like also how output files are organized.

-The editor is nice, and quite fast, but compared to scintilla found in some other IDEs (codeblocks, for example) it miss many confortable commands, like rectangular blocks, comment blocks of code, and so on. Why not scintilla inside TheIDE ?

-Too many toolbars are missing; I know thet in some IDEs they're too much, but I really think that a SAVE button is a must!. Ok, CTRL-S does the job, but when you have a hand on mouse, it's more confortable to hit the toolbar.

-I like the layout editor besides 2 points : the first is the way to add a widget... I'd prefere a bin 'a-la-borland', for example. The second is the location of 'anchors' (springs, ecc...); I think they're part of widget, so they should be put in widget property panel. But I really like the layout editor, I tested some wxwidgets edtors, and they were all quite unconfortable.

-Help system should be customizable, so users can add his/her own help files and topics. I think this would help also to have more tutorials from users.

Now, some 'small' things that are missing :

- Draggable and dockable toolbars and panels. If you write a customizable app with many many commands (a cad, for example) they are a must. Those or command line... menus are too slow, and fixed toolbars are difficult to customize by end user. In such apps user normally select a (small) subset of command and put in toolbars, and the less used commands are done with menu or keyboard.

- MDI interface and DOC/VIEW support. I know MDI is old, but many people likes it.

- The parser. I've read in another thread that his problem are macros. So, why not to feed the source in CPP preprocessor before parsing ? I know it's time consuming, but result could be cached on diskfile and updated only on changes... maybe in background.

a last word.... I find U++ code style one of the best I've ever seen. That's a good usage of C++, not a bunch of #defines !
Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11416 is a reply to message #11414] Wed, 12 September 2007 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

-The editor is nice, and quite fast, but compared to scintilla found in some other IDEs (codeblocks, for example) it miss many confortable commands, like rectangular blocks, comment blocks of code, and so on. Why not scintilla inside TheIDE ?

Because of a degree of control Smile I know scintilla is a very advanced editor control, but it's easier to extend something that was built by us, something that perfectly fit in upp architecture. IMO editor needs:
1. rectangular blocks
2. ability to define syntax highlighing rules by user
3. default highlighting for xml, html (see point 2)
Commenting of blocks of code is available now. Just select block of code and press / or shift-8 or ctrl-/. Key / works if editor enclose selection is set.
Quote:

-Too many toolbars are missing; I know thet in some IDEs they're too much, but I really think that a SAVE button is a must!. Ok, CTRL-S does the job, but when you have a hand on mouse, it's more confortable to hit the toolbar
Frankly you don't need save button as theide saves the file each time you switch to another one or when you compile or close theide.
Quote:

-I like the layout editor besides 2 points : the first is the way to add a widget... I'd prefere a bin 'a-la-borland', for example. The second is the location of 'anchors' (springs, ecc...);

You mean each widget should have icon on toolbar? I vote for it, but only for the most common ones. Anchor system is ok as it is now IMO.
Quote:

- Draggable and dockable toolbars and panels. If you write a customizable app with many many commands (a cad, for example) they are a must.

Absolutly, it was discussed before and it will show up soon or later.
Quote:

and fixed toolbars are difficult to customize by end user.rd.

It's on todo
Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11418 is a reply to message #11414] Wed, 12 September 2007 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Tue, 11 September 2007 18:50

-The concept of packages, nests and assemblies is very good. It forces some order in code, besides of other advantages. I'd prefere a three view on left pane, indeed.

That would work for small projects. The current solutions allows you to reach any file in 700 files project (TheIDE) using two mouse clicks.

Quote:

like rectangular blocks, comment blocks of code, and so on. Why not scintilla inside TheIDE ?

Comment blocks are there, you just need to activate it in preferences.

Rectangular blocks are in todo list.

Quote:

-Help system should be customizable, so users can add his/her own help files and topics. I think this would help also to have more tutorials from users.

Actually, help show documentation of packages, which is part of packages. Just click those .tpp things in e.g. CtrlLib.

Quote:

- The parser. I've read in another thread that his problem are macros. So, why not to feed the source in CPP preprocessor before parsing ? I know it's time consuming, but result could be cached on diskfile and updated only on changes... maybe in background.

Well, but pressing '.' is a change, is not it? Smile The thing is, is this is about to be useful, you really need to reparse the file up to the point you want the information.

Mirek
Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11425 is a reply to message #11416] Wed, 12 September 2007 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
unodgs wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 09:07

Because of a degree of control Smile I know scintilla is a very advanced editor control, but it's easier to extend something that was built by us....
....Commenting of blocks of code is available now. Just select block of code and press / or shift-8 or ctrl-/. Key / works if editor enclose selection is set.

Thanx for the comment hint ! Razz
About scintilla, it is quite customizable.... I don't know if it fits well in theide, but I've seen scintilla inside so many ide/editors/tools that it should not be a problem. If I remember well they've separated the low level interface from the rest, so to put inside theide should not be too difficult. I really like theide editor, but imho makes few sense to duplicate all scintilla functions, it's a lot of work !

Quote:

Frankly you don't need save button as theide saves the file each time you switch to another one or when you compile or close theide.

hmmmmm.... besides of users comfort of having a 'save' button (I really feel bad if I don't save my work every 20 seconds, if you work with autocad on windows you understand what I mean !), the autosave feature is good up to an ide crash... working on svn version is not as rare as it may seem!
Quote:

You mean each widget should have icon on toolbar? I vote for it, but only for the most common ones.

I was thinking at a tabbed control, like borland ones, for example. You could have the most common controls in first tab and access to other ones with no effort, without clobbering the interface (I guess is this one your problem)
Quote:

Anchor system is ok as it is now IMO.

that is of course a matter of taste. I used working on borland tools and I felt confortable to have all widget properties on the same place, but this can be different for you.

Quote:

Absolutly, it was discussed before and it will show up soon or later.

perfect, I can't wait for it ! Smile btw, here I have a suggestion that comes from autocad... it would be nice to have the ability o customization on the fly of toolbars, for example, right clicking a toolbar should allow user to add/remove buttons that can send, maybe, a string or a code to the application. That would allow customization whithout the hassle of dealing with callbacks on the fly.

Quote:

Actually, help show documentation of packages, which is part of packages. Just click those .tpp things in e.g. CtrlLib.

I missed this feature, I'll try it. But what I meant is the ability to insert external html help files on help menu. Maybe with indexing and word search. You could for example add boost or opengl help on the ide. I know that you can open the help out of the ide, but an integration is far more confortable. Codeblocks did it with their help plugin and it's really a nice thing.

Quote:

Well, but pressing '.' is a change, is not it? Smile The thing is, is this is about to be useful, you really need to reparse the file up to the point you want the information.

Yes, the '.' does already a great job Razz And I like the fact that the parameter name and type are copied on the editor, unlike many other ides that give you a popup hint that mostly disappears when you start typing ! What I meant, and I don't knoow if it's possible, is to feed the code to cpp and then to your parser, to solve macro problems. this could be done in background... the only problem that can arise is if cpp can deal with partial files. I'll make an example of what I mean :
1-you start typing your code, and your parser does his job as usual.
2-when you type a #define or a #include, all the stuff is fed to cpp and then to the parser, in background.
3-from then, if you type things again, your new code is append to cpp output (without a need of another cpp slow run...) and then fed to your parser.
4-when you do some other preprocessor stuffs, the process is repeated.
All that could be done in a background thread and you could switch to preprocessed stuff when is ready.

That should make a good compromise between speed and effectiveness.

Again, thanx for your great job !

Ciao

Max
Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11428 is a reply to message #11414] Wed, 12 September 2007 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Tue, 11 September 2007 18:50

-I like the layout editor besides 2 points : the first is the way to add a widget... I'd prefere a bin 'a-la-borland', for example. The second is the location of 'anchors' (springs, ecc...); I think they're part of widget, so they should be put in widget property panel.

You can click on those anchor lines too... I guess this is exactly what you want Wink

Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11429 is a reply to message #11425] Wed, 12 September 2007 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 06:26

I missed this feature, I'll try it. But what I meant is the ability to insert external html help files on help menu. Maybe with indexing and word search. You could for example add boost or opengl help on the ide. I know that you can open the help out of the ide, but an integration is far more confortable. Codeblocks did it with their help plugin and it's really a nice thing.

You can, as long as you will make boost a package...

You cannot use HTML directly (yet?), but it should be trivial to copy&paste the help as RTF to Topic++.

Quote:

What I meant, and I don't knoow if it's possible, is to feed the code to cpp and then to your parser, to solve macro problems. this could be done in background... the only problem that can arise is if cpp can deal with partial files. I'll make an example of what I mean :
1-you start typing your code, and your parser does his job as usual.
2-when you type a #define or a #include, all the stuff is fed to cpp and then to the parser, in background.
3-from then, if you type things again, your new code is append to cpp output (without a need of another cpp slow run...) and then fed to your parser.
4-when you do some other preprocessor stuffs, the process is repeated.

The problem is that macros are in your file too.... You really would need to run .cpp each time you invoke the parser.

Solution is coming, but it really really is far from trivial...
(And it will include partial preprocessor; unfortunately normal preprocessor is not partial...).

Quote:

That should make a good compromise between speed and effectiveness.

We do not need compromise. We need to dedicate one month to solve it right Wink

Mirek
Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11434 is a reply to message #11429] Wed, 12 September 2007 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 14:46

You can, as long as you will make boost a package...

You cannot use HTML directly (yet?), but it should be trivial to copy&paste the help as RTF to Topic++.

Of course, no problem to make an rtf from html, but then I'd to keep in sync with the html, and that is an hassle.
I guess that in U++ is missing an HTML viewer, isn't it ? I had no time yet to look in gui classes. Maybe grabbing some html widget eslewhere... Very Happy

Quote:

The problem is that macros are in your file too.... You really would need to run .cpp each time you invoke the parser.

Not really, if you store a preprocessed version of the file
you should reprocess it ONLY if you change some macros inside.
For example, you start with

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{

here your default parser does the job. Then you add a macro definition on top :

#define blahbla(x) dosomething(x)

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{

Here you feed all this on cpp (thread in background) and when it's finished you feed to your parser. All in background, when a task isn't finished, you stay with the previous data.
When you write normal code, macro stuff are a minimal part of the job, so the preprocessor passes should be minimal!

Quote:

Solution is coming, but it really really is far from trivial...
(And it will include partial preprocessor; unfortunately normal preprocessor is not partial...).

uhmmmm ... I'm curious, so I just tried to feed a small sample, unfinished and with open #if/#else/#endif stuff, the preprocessor complained about the missing #endif but did the job quite well.
All macros and includes where preprocessed and sent to output.
Maybe windoze m$ compiler behaves different ?

Quote:

We do not need compromise. We need to dedicate one month to solve it right Wink

Well, if you want to write a full preprocessor plus complete c++ parser, I think you'll need a month just for planning it, and 1 year to code Very Happy
I was following some threads on codeblocks forum some time ago, they're putting much effort on it too, but it's far from finished.
But well, for my needs, your code completion is more than enough like it is !!!

Just a last question.... I've seen that svn development version is far from being as stable as latest release. It's a matter of missing commits or are you making big changes on the app ? Or maybe it's only the linux/unix side that must be polished ? In that case, I'll be glad to submit bug reports, if you need them.

Best Regards

Max
Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11436 is a reply to message #11434] Wed, 12 September 2007 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, actually, we already have C++ parser Smile

All we need is that partial preprocessor.

The problem of your solution is that you really need to invoke the preprocessor each time you want the info. macros present or not, you need the complete sources up to the point of cursor.

There is another problem too: After preprocessing, you would have to parse it too...Wink

Mirek
Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11438 is a reply to message #11436] Wed, 12 September 2007 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 17:48

The problem of your solution is that you really need to invoke the preprocessor each time you want the info. macros present or not, you need the complete sources up to the point of cursor.

No, you must invoke the preprocessor only when you make some changes in source code that need it, i.e. change a #define or an #ifdef or so. If you don't fiddle with preprocessor stuff, the previous preproc run is enough !
And if you think that in a normal source code file the preprocessor stuff is about 1-5% max of the file, you must agree that preprocessor is not called too often ! Another task would be if you edit some wxwidget file...ehehehehe

Quote:

There is another problem too: After preprocessing, you would have to parse it too...Wink

Of course, but again, the complete reparse should be needed ONLY when you change some preprocessor stuff in code.

I'm not telling you that's an easy task, but I think it's much easier than to write a complete c++ preprocessor.

Ciao

Max
Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11441 is a reply to message #11438] Wed, 12 September 2007 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 12:12

luzr wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 17:48

No, you must invoke the preprocessor only when you make some changes in source code that need it, i.e. change a #define or an #ifdef or so. If you don't fiddle with preprocessor stuff, the previous preproc run is enough !

What file do you want to parse? Buffered file from preprocessor? Actual file you are working on?

Quote:

I'm not telling you that's an easy task, but I think it's much easier than to write a complete c++ preprocessor.

The preprocessor is the simple part... The hard part is caching logic.

Mirek
Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11445 is a reply to message #11441] Wed, 12 September 2007 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 18:40

What file do you want to parse? Buffered file from preprocessor? Actual file you are working on?

buffered file from preprocessor kept in sync with the file I'm workin on.... This is the hardest (and fastest) way. But there's a simpler way :
I've not looked at your parser code, but I guess it does a first scan on file when ide opens, and then it keeps scanning only the changes you make to file, am I wrong ?
So, at ide opening you add the preprocessor pass before the full scan pass. Then, when you work on file, there are 2 possibilities :
1- you make changes not related to # preprocessing directives, so your code work as usual.
2- you make changes that involves preprocessing directives. So you start a cpp preprocess in background, then a full scan in background too. While this (long) process is not finished, you keep working as usual on previous buffered file; when preprocess-scan thread finishes, you switch to the new buffer.

Quote:

Of course, but that is already done. It should only a matter of keeping a second buffer (aka symbol table in memory) and switch to it when the long job is done. It should be not too difficult to insert in current code. I'd say that the hard part is the scanner, but this one seems to me very well done yet.

Ciao

Max

Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11446 is a reply to message #11445] Wed, 12 September 2007 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
[quote title=mdelfede wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 14:59]
luzr wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 18:40

file from preprocessor kept in sync with the file I'm workin on....

How do you want to keep it in sync?

Note that rescanning after #define is typed is not enough.

Any change in file changes potential preprocessor output. This is not even related to macros, even if there are no macros, any change in file changes preprocessor output.

Quote:

I've not looked at your parser code, but I guess it does a first scan on file when ide opens, and then it keeps scanning only the changes you make to file, am I wrong ?

Yes, you are wrong Smile

All project files are scanned at ide startup(*). Then modified files are scanned before they are leaved or if the information is needed.

(*) in fact, all information is cached, so in reality only changed files are scanned at startup, unchanged file information is just loaded.

Quote:

So, at ide opening you add the preprocessor pass before the full scan pass. Then, when you work on file, there are 2 possibilities :
1- you make changes not related to # preprocessing directives, so your code work as usual.

Any change in file is related to preprocessor.

That is the problem you seem to miss (or maybe I do not understand your method).

Quote:

Quote:

Of course, but that is already done. It should only a matter of keeping a second buffer (aka symbol table in memory) and switch to it when the long job is done. It should be not too difficult to insert in current code.

Smile If only things would be so simple Smile

Note:

What you suggest might partially work, if preprocessor would be capable of exporting all defined macros together with preprocessor output. In that case, you could split the processing to processing of headers, which would yield two files (preprossed files and set of macros) and the main file, then you could e.g. include only macros for processing of main file, which would be much faster. But hey, this is what I call "partial preprocessing".

Not that there is another problem: You are not only interested in information contained in the .cpp file, but also in things defined in headers...

Mirek
Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11448 is a reply to message #11446] Thu, 13 September 2007 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Wed, 12 September 2007 21:52

How do you want to keep it in sync?

Note that rescanning after #define is typed is not enough.

Any change in file changes potential preprocessor output. This is not even related to macros, even if there are no macros, any change in file changes preprocessor output.

I don't understand your point, I think. You're saying that you scan the file on startup (or get from last saved cache), then only on demand. Let's start with an example :

#include <stdio.h>

int funca(int z)
{
return 2*z;
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
int x = 5;
int y;

y = funca(x);

}

the file here is saved.
When you reload, you add:

#include <stdio.h>

int funca(int z)
{
return 2*z;
}

int funcb(int k)
{
return k*k;
}

{
int x = 5;
int y;

y = funca(x);
x = funcb( <-- here you have parameter suggestion

}

In this case, I don't know if you're parsing all the file again or only the added code... But let imagine that your program is very smart and chooses the hard and faster way. So you find the code difference from the previous parse, and add funcb() definition. Doing so makes things hard when you delete a function or rename it, but can be made, I think...
Let's change things, and add a #define and a #include ;

#include <stdio.h>

int funca(int z)
{
return 2*z;
}

#define macroc(x, y) (x) + (y)

#include "mystuff.h"

int funcb(int k)
{
return k*k;
}

{
int x = 5;
int y;

y = funca(x);
x = funcb( <-- here you have parameter suggestion

}

Here you have 2 ways :
get a partial preprocessor and feed it with the #define and #include, but.... it's not enough, you miss the #include at the beginning. So, you MUST feed preprocessor with this also.
But it's not eno"ugh yet, if for example your "mystuff.h" test for 'funca' definition it fails, because you didn't feed the preprocessor with 'funca' definition.

To make it simple, you MUST feed the preprocessor with ALL code from the beginning of file, to be sure to catch all cases. No choice. So, it makes no sense to have a partial preprocessor; you need only a preprocessor that accept a truncated file as input. CPP does the job. Whathever you do, you must process the file from the beginning when you add # stuffs.

Quote:

All project files are scanned at ide startup(*). Then modified files are scanned before they are leaved or if the information is needed.

(*) in fact, all information is cached, so in reality only changed files are scanned at startup, unchanged file information is just loaded.

so, let's say, before scanning and caching the file, you add the preprocess pass.
On the former example (before macro stuff), you have the funca defined and main code. You add the funcb, then start type in main() the x = funcb(...) and here you must call the scanner, I think, or you'll miss funcb() parameter suggestion.
Simple way : ignore it, up to the next file reload.
Slow way, rescan all file from the beginning on the fly.
Smart way, scan only the diff.

Wathever you're doing, let's add the preprocess stuff now :

Simple way : ignore ecc ecc
Slow way, repreprocess and rescan from the beginning
Smart way : too complicated Rolling Eyes
Smartest way : Take simple way and do the slow way in a background thread. When the latter is done, swap the parsed threes!
The point is : the user don't notice a delay, he can continue typing AND have the completion with THE OLD stuff; when the new scan is done, the system switch to new stuff. As normally a programmer types (and think) much more slowly than a computer, he will feel like you made a Slow scan but with the speed of simple way.

Quote:

Any change in file is related to preprocessor.

That is the problem you seem to miss (or maybe I do not understand your method).

Maybe we're speaking about the same thing Smile

Quote:

Note:

What you suggest might partially work, if preprocessor would be capable of exporting all defined macros together with preprocessor output. In that case, you could split the processing to processing of headers, which would yield two files (preprossed files and set of macros) and the main file, then you could e.g. include only macros for processing of main file, which would be much faster. But hey, this is what I call "partial preprocessing".

Not that there is another problem: You are not only interested in information contained in the .cpp file, but also in things defined in headers...

No, here you're right. If you want a full code completion, you MUST preprocess all stuffs, and that from begnning. It's of no use feed the preprocessor only with macros; some includes depends on previous macros, and viceversa.
The only way I see, wherever you use cpp or your preprocessor, is to smart preprocess/scan all stuff in background and keep a shadow copy of previous job while the new one is done.

I really don't see it too hard, the most is done in current parser... but maybe I'm wrong somewhere...

Ciao

Max
Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11454 is a reply to message #11448] Thu, 13 September 2007 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
You have too simple view of the issue. In most cases, you cannot just parse the current line or something like that; that would lead to much worse situation than we have now.

Consider e.g:

foo.h:

struct A { Class1 x; void MyFun(); };

struct B { Class2 y; void MyFun(); }

foo.cpp:

#include "foo.h"

void A::MyFun()
{
    x. 

Changeing void A::MyFun to B::MyFun completely changes the context.

Detecting such changes is more expensive than parsing the file each time '.' is pressed.

Mirek
Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11456 is a reply to message #11454] Thu, 13 September 2007 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Thu, 13 September 2007 14:31

You have too simple view of the issue. In most cases, you cannot just parse the current line or something like that; that would lead to much worse situation than we have now.

Consider e.g:

foo.h:

struct A { Class1 x; void MyFun(); };

struct B { Class2 y; void MyFun(); }

foo.cpp:

#include "foo.h"

void A::MyFun()
{
    x. 

Changeing void A::MyFun to B::MyFun completely changes the context.

Detecting such changes is more expensive than parsing the file each time '.' is pressed.

Mirek

No, I did explain myself bad.... I mean that you have to parse the file up to the cusor. This with or without preprocessor stuff. Well, you could detect some trivial changes that don't need it, but mostly you have to reparse.

Looking at the problem a bit more, I've some thoughts :

1- Reparsing on EACH change is too time expensive. Even if you reparse only on '.' or '->' code.
2- Preprocessor would add much more overhead, too.

so, the solution : a timed full preprocess/parse in background... let's say, each 2-3 minutes, for example, and then switch the completion context to the new parsed one once done.
Or, if you don't care slowing down the machine a bit, a continuous parse thread with 2 contexts kept in memory, the last one and the currently parsing one. Like a sort of double buffer.
You can miss some completion in the parse time, but I think this will be quite a rare possibility, depending only on time between parses. It should even be faster than now, if you're reparsing real-time on each '.' keypress.
What do you think about ? That should also be easy to implement, I guess.

Ciao

Max

Edit

On second thought, here more than a full preprocessor, you should only process the #includes and gather #define stuff for code completion, so you can present macro, but with untyped parameters. CPP does the full job with macros, replacing them with the defined code, so it's of no use for help in macro completion. But the rest is still valid. And a preprocessor that gathers #includes only is a trivial task, too.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 September 2007 16:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11457 is a reply to message #11456] Thu, 13 September 2007 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Thu, 13 September 2007 10:13

so, the solution : a timed full preprocess/parse in background... let's say, each 2-3 minutes, for example, and then switch the completion context to the new parsed one once done.

Once again, preprocessing in background, using "cpp", does not work. There is no result that can be used for anything useful (because the file has changed meanwhile).

Quote:

On second thought, here more than a full preprocessor, you should only process the #includes and gather #define stuff for code

Aha! You are starting to have a clue about the problem Wink

So you will soon see that really the simplest solution is to do it right:) (Which +/- means caching the results of preprocessing at the end of each header).

Mirek
Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11458 is a reply to message #11457] Thu, 13 September 2007 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Thu, 13 September 2007 19:37

Once again, preprocessing in background, using "cpp", does not work. There is no result that can be used for anything useful (because the file has changed meanwhile).

Here I don't agree. The cpp is not useful because it makes macro substitution, so you can't use macro names in code completion, that's right.
But saying that a user is so fast typing code that he notices that the backgriund preprocess/parse has still old data, IMHO is wrong.

Quote:

Aha! You are starting to have a clue about the problem Wink

So you will soon see that really the simplest solution is to do it right:) (Which +/- means caching the results of preprocessing at the end of each header).

No, I don't think so... why make things complicated ? Why try to make it real time stuff, very difficult task, when you can make it a background stuff sparing time and resources ?
More, if you cache the file at the end of an header you can fall n the problem we spoke about some posts ago :

test.h
#define amacro(x) x*x

test.cpp

#include "test.h"
int main()
{
int z = amacro(.... <here you should get completion right.

but then :

test2.h
#undef amacro
#define amacro(x, y) x * y

test.cpp

#include "test.h"
#include "test2.h" <--- ADDED LINE
int main()
{
int z = amacro(.... <what do you get here ?

In my example, if you want right completion, you should repreprocess/reparse file while typing, or at least detect the inclusion of test2.h and reparse the file. Long task. If you set the reparse to manual ("rescan file" button) you have the wrong completion if you don't hit the button.
And whorse, if you use the "hit the button" method, user must wait 1-4 seconds that the process is finished.
As you said before, you can't cache the results on a 'per header' basis, as results for an header may depend on previous ones.
Last but not least, you must cache a lot of data anyway. So I don't see the point of keeping it all in foreground.

again : whouldn't be better to have in memory a double buffered parse three, and swap on a timed basis with the one from the background job ?
Using background tasks have another advantage : you must have in memory ONLY the current file (and includes); when you switch to another source code, simply discard all data and start another background process. The user will maybe notice that he has no code completion for 3-4 seconds, at most.

Ciao

Max

hemm... I've another question, about layouts, but I'll start a new topic Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 13 September 2007 20:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11464 is a reply to message #11458] Fri, 14 September 2007 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
You still do not get it, but never mind Smile

The issue is that you HAVE TO PREPROCESS THE FILE YOU ARE WORKING ON AT THE VERY MOMENT YOU NEED THE INFO end of story, otherwise the results from all this are only worse than what we have now - actually, how are you going to detect that you are in main? What if "main" is a macro?

Mirek
Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11465 is a reply to message #11458] Fri, 14 September 2007 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Thu, 13 September 2007 14:49

As you said before, you can't cache the results on a 'per header' basis, as results for an header may depend on previous ones.

Actually, I never said that and in fact, that is exactly what I am going to do.

The fact that results for an header depends on previous one is just an complication.... (this is the hard part I was speaking about).

Mirek
Re: Very first impressions and.... [FEATURE REQUESTS] [message #11467 is a reply to message #11464] Fri, 14 September 2007 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Fri, 14 September 2007 09:40

You still do not get it, but never mind Smile

The issue is that you HAVE TO PREPROCESS THE FILE YOU ARE WORKING ON AT THE VERY MOMENT YOU NEED THE INFO end of story, otherwise the results from all this are only worse than what we have now - actually, how are you going to detect that you are in main? What if "main" is a macro?

I agree that you've to process ALL of the file up to cursor. In theory, to get the 'perfect' result, you should do it for each keypress of ( or . or -> or :: (hope I'm not missing others....)
The problem is speed, and I see it very hard job.
What I'm saying (last time, I promise ! Very Happy ) is that doing it in background and not in real time improves MUCH the 'speed' (on the user feeling side) with really very few disadvantages. And simplifies a lot your code, too.

Quote:

Actually, I never said that and in fact, that is exactly what I am going to do.

The fact that results for an header depends on previous one is just an complication.... (this is the hard part I was speaking about).

uhhmmm... so I did misunderstand it. But I still think that it will be too complicated to account for previous headers changes when you cache the current one. You have to detect those changes and rescan current header too.

Well.... you know the matter better than I ! It's a pity that I've got no spare time at the moment, I'd like to test my way of doing the job Smile

Ciao

Max
Previous Topic: Escaped backslash in string confuse editor [bug]
Next Topic: Strange behaviour of the query option of TheIDE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:29:21 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02168 seconds