Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Layout Editor : second impression and.. [FEATURE REQUEST]
icon14.gif  Layout Editor : second impression and.. [FEATURE REQUEST] [message #11459] Thu, 13 September 2007 21:15 Go to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
I must admit, I was a fan of Borland tools. In particular of their VCL and related layout editor.
So far, TheIde got the second place Razz That's not bad, as I tried some more tools. The other one I don't dislike is the one from FLUID, but I don't like code style and usability off all the rest.

Back to layout editor.

I see that the Widgets are supporting child widgets, so widgets inside widgets. But in layout editor all is flattened down, it's impossible to insert (graphically) a widget inside another... Or am I missing something ?
Of course it makes few sense to put a button inside another button (can be done by code Smile ), but that'll be interesting for example adding a labelbox widget and then some controls grouped inside it.

I'm asking this because one of the most comfortable things on Borland editor was the ability to group widgets together in a "groupbox"; this one could then be moved, sized ecc in one step.
Of course, child widgets anchors and springs should then be related to parent widget, not to main window.

This could also be very useful with splitters.

Ciao

Max

p.s. clickable anchors guides near widgets are great ! Razz

EDIT :

Looking inside code, I think the simplest way to add the feature would mean add a 'parent' field :

ITEM(LineEdit, aName, ....)

would become

ITEM(aParent, LineEdit, aName, ....)

with a possible __TOP__ if no parent.
Of course this would complicate a bit the editor, since you should delete child controls on deletion of parent control, or at least move them on outer control.
All other needed stuffs seems to me already in widget classes.
To add the widget inside an already placed one, right click with cursor on parent widget. (or tabbed widget bin Very Happy )

Ciao

Max

[Updated on: Thu, 13 September 2007 22:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Layout Editor : second impression and.. [FEATURE REQUEST] [message #11463 is a reply to message #11459] Fri, 14 September 2007 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

p.s. clickable anchors guides near widgets are great

BIG WOW! I didn't know that..
Re: Layout Editor : second impression and.. [FEATURE REQUEST] [message #11468 is a reply to message #11463] Fri, 14 September 2007 12:47 Go to previous message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
unodgs wrote on Fri, 14 September 2007 08:31

Quote:

p.s. clickable anchors guides near widgets are great

BIG WOW! I didn't know that..

me too Laughing I got it after a post from Luzr here !
This thing remembers me CUPS : very good piece of software with scary documentation !

[Updated on: Fri, 14 September 2007 12:47]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: First Impressions (about theIDE) and [FEATURE REQUEST]
Next Topic: Escaped backslash in string confuse editor [bug]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:36:29 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01373 seconds