Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » Problems compiling packages/examples under Ubuntu
Problems compiling packages/examples under Ubuntu [message #12578] Fri, 09 November 2007 13:28 Go to next message
irrdev is currently offline  irrdev
OK, I downloaded the latest deb installer for Linux, and ran the installer. Everything appeared fine, and I was able to successfully run the IDE. When I selected one of the examples to compile, however, I received many linker errors. I have tried every example so far, and nothing works. I am not new to using Ultimate++, but have been only running it on Windows XP. I copied the errors and pasted them below. It looks like I may have the wrong gtk libraries installed, but the deb installer should have fixed that. Here is the output:
----- CtrlLib ( GUI GCC LINUX ) (1 / 9)
----- CtrlCore ( GUI GCC LINUX ) (2 / 9)
----- RichText ( GUI GCC LINUX ) (3 / 9)
----- PdfDraw ( GUI GCC LINUX ) (4 / 9)
----- Draw ( GUI GCC LINUX ) (5 / 9)
----- Core ( GUI GCC LINUX ) (6 / 9)
----- plugin/bmp ( GUI GCC LINUX ) (7 / 9)
----- plugin\png ( GUI GCC LINUX ) (8 / 9)
----- Button ( GUI MAIN GCC LINUX ) (9 / 9)
Button.cpp
Button: 1 file(s) built in (0:27.56), 27565 msecs / file, duration = 27779 msecs
Linking...
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libX11.a(CrGlCur.o): In function `open_library':
/build/buildd/libx11-1.1.1/obj-i486-linux-gnu/src/../../src/CrGlCur.c:72: warning: Using 'dlopen' in statical
	ly linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libglib-2.0.a(gutils.o): In function `g_get_any_init_do':
(.text+0x1472): warning: Using 'getpwuid' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared li
	braries from the glibc version used for linking
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libglib-2.0.a(gutils.o): In function `g_get_any_init_do':
(.text+0x1465): warning: Using 'setpwent' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared li
(.text+0x147a): warning: Using 'endpwent' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared li
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libX11.a(GetDflt.o): In function `GetHomeDir':
/build/buildd/libx11-1.1.1/obj-i486-linux-gnu/src/../../src/GetDflt.c:133: warning: Using 'getpwnam_r' in sta
	tically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for link
	ing
/build/buildd/libx11-1.1.1/obj-i486-linux-gnu/src/../../src/GetDflt.c:135: warning: Using 'getpwuid_r' in sta
	tically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for link
	ing
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libX11.a(x11_trans.o): In function `_X11TransSocketOpen':
/usr/include/X11/Xtrans/Xtranssock.c:472: warning: Using 'getaddrinfo' in statically linked applications requ
	ires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libX11.a(x11_trans.o): In function `UnixHostReallyLocal':
/usr/include/X11/Xtrans/Xtranssock.c:1893: warning: Using 'gethostbyname' in statically linked applications r
	equires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libX11.a(x11_trans.o): In function `_X11TransSocketINETConn
	ect':
/usr/include/X11/Xtrans/Xtranssock.c:1678: warning: Using 'getservbyname' in statically linked applications r
	equires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.a(gdkdisplay-x11.o): In function `gdk_displa
	y_open':
(.text+0xfbd): undefined reference to `XCompositeQueryExtension'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.a(gdkdisplay-x11.o): In function `gdk_displa
	y_open':
(.text+0xfe4): undefined reference to `XDamageQueryExtension'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.a(gdkevents-x11.o): In function `gdk_event_t
	ranslate':
(.text+0x1947): undefined reference to `XDamageSubtract'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.a(gdkwindow-x11.o): In function `_gdk_window
	ing_window_set_composited':
(.text+0xbb): undefined reference to `XCompositeRedirectWindow'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.a(gdkwindow-x11.o): In function `_gdk_window
(.text+0xcf): undefined reference to `XDamageCreate'
(.text+0xf3): undefined reference to `XCompositeUnredirectWindow'
(.text+0x102): undefined reference to `XDamageDestroy'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-jpeg.o): In function `real_save_jpeg
	':
(.text+0x3a6): undefined reference to `jpeg_std_error'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-jpeg.o): In function `real_save_jpeg
	':
(.text+0x3e8): undefined reference to `jpeg_CreateCompress'
	':
(.text+0x47b): undefined reference to `jpeg_set_defaults'
	':
(.text+0x495): undefined reference to `jpeg_set_quality'
	':
(.text+0x4a5): undefined reference to `jpeg_start_compress'
	':
(.text+0x531): undefined reference to `jpeg_write_scanlines'
	':
(.text+0x559): undefined reference to `jpeg_finish_compress'
	':
(.text+0x561): undefined reference to `jpeg_destroy_compress'
	':
(.text+0x5fa): undefined reference to `jpeg_destroy_compress'
	':
(.text+0x694): undefined reference to `jpeg_stdio_dest'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-jpeg.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__jp
	eg_image_load_lines':
(.text+0xe8d): undefined reference to `jpeg_read_scanlines'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-jpeg.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__jp
	eg_image_load_increment':
(.text+0x10ec): undefined reference to `jpeg_start_output'
(.text+0x112e): undefined reference to `jpeg_finish_output'
(.text+0x1147): undefined reference to `jpeg_input_complete'
(.text+0x1156): undefined reference to `jpeg_input_complete'
(.text+0x120f): undefined reference to `jpeg_save_markers'
(.text+0x121f): undefined reference to `jpeg_read_header'
(.text+0x129a): undefined reference to `jpeg_calc_output_dimensions'
(.text+0x12d0): undefined reference to `jpeg_calc_output_dimensions'
(.text+0x1361): undefined reference to `jpeg_start_decompress'
	eg_image_stop_load':
(.text+0x1507): undefined reference to `jpeg_destroy_decompress'
	eg_image_stop_load':
(.text+0x153c): undefined reference to `jpeg_finish_decompress'
	eg_image_load':
(.text+0x15ad): undefined reference to `jpeg_std_error'
	eg_image_load':
(.text+0x160c): undefined reference to `jpeg_CreateDecompress'
	eg_image_load':
(.text+0x1666): undefined reference to `jpeg_resync_to_restart'
	eg_image_load':
(.text+0x169e): undefined reference to `jpeg_save_markers'
	eg_image_load':
(.text+0x16ae): undefined reference to `jpeg_read_header'
	eg_image_load':
(.text+0x16bf): undefined reference to `jpeg_start_decompress'
	eg_image_load':
(.text+0x1783): undefined reference to `jpeg_read_scanlines'
	eg_image_load':
(.text+0x17d2): undefined reference to `jpeg_destroy_decompress'
	eg_image_load':
(.text+0x1820): undefined reference to `jpeg_finish_decompress'
	eg_image_load':
(.text+0x1828): undefined reference to `jpeg_destroy_decompress'
	eg_image_load':
(.text+0x1904): undefined reference to `jpeg_destroy_decompress'
	eg_image_begin_load':
(.text+0x19d6): undefined reference to `jpeg_CreateDecompress'
	eg_image_begin_load':
(.text+0x1a13): undefined reference to `jpeg_std_error'
	eg_image_begin_load':
(.text+0x1a53): undefined reference to `jpeg_resync_to_restart'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `tiff_pop_handl
	ers':
(.text+0x1e4): undefined reference to `TIFFSetErrorHandler'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `tiff_pop_handl
	ers':
(.text+0x1f1): undefined reference to `TIFFSetWarningHandler'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `tiff_push_hand
	lers':
(.text+0x234): undefined reference to `TIFFSetErrorHandler'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `tiff_push_hand
	lers':
(.text+0x245): undefined reference to `TIFFSetWarningHandler'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__ti
	ff_image_save_to_callback':
(.text+0x3ed): undefined reference to `TIFFClientOpen'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__ti
(.text+0x487): undefined reference to `TIFFSetField'
(.text+0x49e): undefined reference to `TIFFSetField'
(.text+0x4b6): undefined reference to `TIFFSetField'
(.text+0x4d6): undefined reference to `TIFFSetField'
(.text+0x4ed): undefined reference to `TIFFSetField'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o):(.text+0x50c): more undefine
	d references to `TIFFSetField' follow
(.text+0x592): undefined reference to `TIFFWriteScanline'
(.text+0x5d6): undefined reference to `TIFFClose'
(.text+0x600): undefined reference to `TIFFSetField'
(.text+0x617): undefined reference to `TIFFSetField'
(.text+0x624): undefined reference to `TIFFClose'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `tiff_image_par
	se':
(.text+0x96b): undefined reference to `TIFFGetField'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `tiff_image_par
	se':
(.text+0x9d0): undefined reference to `TIFFGetField'
	se':
(.text+0xac5): undefined reference to `TIFFGetField'
	se':
(.text+0xb39): undefined reference to `TIFFReadRGBAImageOriented'
	ff_image_stop_load':
(.text+0xe35): undefined reference to `TIFFClientOpen'
	ff_image_stop_load':
(.text+0xe7d): undefined reference to `TIFFClose'
	ff_image_load':
(.text+0x1046): undefined reference to `TIFFFdOpen'
	ff_image_load':
(.text+0x10a2): undefined reference to `TIFFClose'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libpangocairo-1.0.a(libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo-fcfontm
	ap.o): In function `pango_cairo_fc_font_map_get_type':
(.text+0x7a): undefined reference to `pango_fc_font_map_get_type'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libpangocairo-1.0.a(libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo-fcfontm
	ap.o): In function `pango_cairo_fc_font_map_set_resolution':
(.text+0x16e): undefined reference to `pango_fc_font_map_cache_clear'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libpangocairo-1.0.a(libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo-fcfont.
	o): In function `pango_cairo_fc_font_get_type':
(.text+0x6a): undefined reference to `pango_fc_font_get_type'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libpangocairo-1.0.a(libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo-fcfont.
	o): In function `pango_cairo_fc_font_create_metrics_for_context':
(.text+0x335): undefined reference to `pango_fc_font_create_metrics_for_context'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libpango-1.0.a(libpango_thai_lang_la-thai-lang.o): In funct
	ion `thai_engine_break':
(.text+0x124): undefined reference to `th_uni2tis'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libpango-1.0.a(libpango_thai_lang_la-thai-lang.o): In funct
	ion `thai_engine_break':
(.text+0x173): undefined reference to `th_brk'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libX11.a(ConnDis.o): In function `GetAuthorization':
/build/buildd/libx11-1.1.1/obj-i486-linux-gnu/src/../../src/ConnDis.c:1253: undefined reference to `XauDispos
	eAuth'
/build/buildd/libx11-1.1.1/obj-i486-linux-gnu/src/../../src/ConnDis.c:1058: undefined reference to `XauGetBes
	tAuthByAddr'
/build/buildd/libx11-1.1.1/obj-i486-linux-gnu/src/../../src/ConnDis.c:1197: undefined reference to `XdmcpWrap
	'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

There were errors. (2:05.02)

Any help would be appreciated. Razz
Re: Problems compiling packages/examples under Ubuntu [message #12586 is a reply to message #12578] Fri, 09 November 2007 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guido is currently offline  guido
Experienced Member
Hi,

an all static build with gtk involved is tricky business and theming won't work, which is the reason to link to gtk in the first place, so it's pointless. You are getting link errors, because shared libs pull in dependend libs implicitly, while for static libs all dependend code needs to be listed on the link line explicitly.

Try a shared build. If you want static, build without gtk.

Guido
Re: Problems compiling packages/examples under Ubuntu [message #12599 is a reply to message #12578] Sat, 10 November 2007 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lance is currently offline  Lance
Contributor
I had the same problem. When I was trying to find a solution, I found your post. After reading guido's reply, I successfully built an example using GCC Debug.

I failed when using GCC Size.

HTH
Re: Problems compiling packages/examples under Ubuntu [message #12600 is a reply to message #12578] Sat, 10 November 2007 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lance is currently offline  Lance
Contributor
GCC Optimal also failed.

Yes, I used Shared instead of static. Something needs to be fixed.
Re: Problems compiling packages/examples under Ubuntu [message #12602 is a reply to message #12578] Sat, 10 November 2007 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
irrdev is currently offline  irrdev
Thanks for the replies! Yes, Debug mode worked for me, too. Debug uses Shared Builds by default, whereas the other options do not. Therefore, by selecting Optimal and also changing the "Link Build" option to "Shared Libs," everything works fine. This should be looked into though, since it would be nice to have Static linking support. There also should be official notes for new users, since it might be rather confusing. Anyway, thanks for the help! Smile
Re: Problems compiling packages/examples under Ubuntu [message #12609 is a reply to message #12602] Sat, 10 November 2007 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waxblood is currently offline  waxblood
irrdev wrote on Sat, 10 November 2007 14:42

Thanks for the replies! Yes, Debug mode worked for me, too. Debug uses Shared Builds by default, whereas the other options do not. Therefore, by selecting Optimal and also changing the "Link Build" option to "Shared Libs," everything works fine. This should be looked into though, since it would be nice to have Static linking support. There also should be official notes for new users, since it might be rather confusing. Anyway, thanks for the help! Smile

The problem is that at present the Linux package manteiner is quite busy so there's not great support - anyway I'm glad new Linux dev version of theide started to work again ^^

David
Re: Problems compiling packages/examples under Ubuntu [message #12838 is a reply to message #12609] Tue, 20 November 2007 19:47 Go to previous message
nixnixnix is currently offline  nixnixnix
There is a recent dev version as a .deb package? Where can I find this please?

Nick
Previous Topic: Question about Memory Leak Detection
Next Topic: msdev 8.0 strange compiler error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:54:37 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01342 seconds