FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Documentation and Topic++
Documentation and Topic++ [message #12713] Tue, 13 November 2007 19:41 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Tue, 13 November 2007 08:33

OK. I started making new articles.

For now, two things impedes the most:
1) Unnatural division of package docs by "src" and "srcdoc". After some learning it seems like one stands for index while other stands for manual.
I would refuse such a division because index must be one for all packages (smth. like MSDN where I type first letters and got functions starting with them). So all we need in the package docs tree is articles (I would refuse treeview of structure too - as described in forum messages).

Well, first of all, the idea behind Topic++ is that it should serve as tool for documenting both the program structure (sources), but also the application being developed (help, application manual).

That is the original idea behind documentation groups.

Now "predefined" groups are

src - this should contain a straight *reference* to the code *interface*. Note that theide is able to bind documents to the code. We have big plans on improving on this. (think "reference" part of MSDN API documents).

srcdoc - this should be for other programming documents - guides, explanations etc...

srcimp - this is intended to contain the comments about code implementation.

app - application documents - help, manuals etc...

Quote:

2) Inexistence of first common page. I think there must be root page, and this page must be default (but when we click some package` article, it shows in help window).

For now this root article is finished and I started writing inner articles, which were linked from root.

"index" page is considered "first common". Obviously, there is a little problem as this really works well only for single group in single package...

Mirek
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #12720 is a reply to message #12713] Wed, 14 November 2007 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

I think this is of course great to have one help engine for development docs and user (not programmer) documentation on application developed. So I vote for the original idea.

Next, from the design point of view, treeview-control guiding system as well as "predefined groups" seems to me not very optimal.

I`ll try to make suggestions how to increase usability. Of course, everything below is my point of view and a subject for discussion:

1) Leving behind any "magical words" line "srcdocs","srcimp". We simply don`t need that kind of magic. We need simple things to concentrate attention to the help text itself - without user`s brain guiding through magical labyrinths.

2) Information on package must be concentrated in one articles-tree. Each article has index-tags. So user has 3 ways to look at docs: manual view mode, index and full-text-search modes. Last two modes I`d like to be as MSDN ones.

This approach seems to me little more general. General enough to handle with programmers` manual as easy as user help.

3) src* groups are presented as:
src - number of articles, generated by TheIDE (and linked from some other articles if necessary). I`d prefer some package article to have these links listed by logical or functional groups (alphabetic access is available through Index mode).

srcimp and srcdoc articles are represented as links from (or part of) articles about respective subjects.
The general approach is the same: different kinds of information about subject must be in easy reach from parent article about subject. It seems very obvious way of making things user-oriented.

4) Fimally, general view of help system with approach suggested will be something like this:
index.php?t=getfile&id=832&private=0

5) Thoughts about root article I`ll try to write later, as all ideas about it come in order.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 November 2007 04:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #12724 is a reply to message #12720] Wed, 14 November 2007 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Tue, 13 November 2007 22:32

I think this is of course great to have one help engine for development docs and user (not programmer) documentation on application developed. So I vote for the original idea.

Next, from the design point of view, treeview-control guiding system as well as "predefined groups" seems to me not very optimal.

Yep, I agree. The help page definitely needsd an improvement.

Quote:

I`ll try to make suggestions how to increase usability. Of course, everything below is my point of view and a subject for discussion:

1) Leving behind any "magical words" line "srcdocs","srcimp". We simply don`t need that kind of magic. We need simple things to concentrate attention to the help text itself - without user`s brain guiding through magical labyrinths.

Mostly agree, but I think medium advanced user will need to know those magic words too, so that he can use Topic++ to write docs...

Considering other points, the only thing I would like to add is the vision that the future ide will provide much better code/documentation integration.

One of ideas is that browsing the .h file, you will have small icons in left bar (when breakpoints usually are) for each code element (e.g. method declaration); moving the mouse over that icon will popup documentation for the item.

If documentation is not available for item, icon will look differently and clicking it will move you to topic++, generating the text template to document the method.

Similar capabilities should be available in new class browser too.

In .cpp, the idea is that instead of "src", these will lead to "srcimp".

Mirek
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #12727 is a reply to message #12724] Wed, 14 November 2007 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Quote:

Mostly agree, but I think medium advanced user will need to know those magic words too, so that he can use Topic++ to write docs...

One of ideas is that browsing the .h file, you will have small icons in left bar (when breakpoints usually are) for each code element (e.g. method declaration); moving the mouse over that icon will popup documentation for the item.

If documentation is not available for item, icon will look differently and clicking it will move you to topic++, generating the text template to document the method.

Could you please describe why exactly is it needed to use these words? I think it is way too hard for understanding "by default". Yes, user may learn manual on that subject, but what for?
It`s nothing prevents us from adding these comments simply by clicking left icon and typing docs in the same window, without any additional identifiers. For me it is so natural, that I have to think of arguments to make this thought clear.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 November 2007 13:33]

Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #12728 is a reply to message #12727] Wed, 14 November 2007 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Wed, 14 November 2007 07:24

Quote:

Could you please describe why exactly is it needed to use these words? I think it is way too hard for understanding "by default". Yes, user may learn manual on that subject, but what for?
It`s nothing prevents us from adding these comments simply by clicking left icon and typing docs in the same window, without any additional identifiers. For me it is so natural, that I have to think of arguments to make this thought clear.

Well, if nothing else, groups are important if you are importing Topic++ into your code - you do so by package-group quantities.

So perhaps for documenting the code, you could do without it, but for using Topic++ as application document resources, understanding of groups is unavoidable.

Mirek
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #12777 is a reply to message #12728] Fri, 16 November 2007 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

luzr, I temporarily lost all the words and arguments to tell that simple things are better than complex ones. Smile Just need time to collect arguments for the thing I feel subconciously. )
This strong subconcious feeling tells (actually, sreams when I think of usability) me this (see below). And I`m just looking for formal and constructive words to express all that feeling...
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #12778 is a reply to message #12777] Fri, 16 November 2007 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

index.php?t=getfile&id=843&private=0
  • Attachment: tht1.gif
    (Size: 31.15KB, Downloaded 1220 times)
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #12779 is a reply to message #12778] Fri, 16 November 2007 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

index.php?t=getfile&id=844&private=0
Just think: the most important thing as finding an answer is packed into 1/5 of window filled with ugly small uniform text.

Why? Or, is it OK for programmers to find anything in a hard way? Very Happy
  • Attachment: tht2.gif
    (Size: 24.09KB, Downloaded 1157 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 16 November 2007 01:45]

Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #12780 is a reply to message #12779] Fri, 16 November 2007 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

index.php?t=getfile&id=845&private=0
  • Attachment: tht3.gif
    (Size: 41.68KB, Downloaded 1185 times)
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #12781 is a reply to message #12780] Fri, 16 November 2007 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

index.php?t=getfile&id=846&private=0
  • Attachment: tht4.gif
    (Size: 20.47KB, Downloaded 1187 times)
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #12789 is a reply to message #12781] Fri, 16 November 2007 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, frankly, if I am about to find info about Win32 API, I always use google Smile

IMO, the most useful thing to evolve in help is therefore such full-text search navigation.

I know that the tree sucks, anyway, it is there as the "low-level" navigational tool. I guess it should be tabbed with fulltext search or something like that.

Plus, perhaps index documents should really behave as introduction/guide/sumarry pages.
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #13000 is a reply to message #12713] Tue, 04 December 2007 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Excuse my little vacation.
Mirek, I think that at least a part of documentation is to be done as some guide to writing specific applications. M$ tried to slve this problem by adding "How do I" topics, but their relization made them totally unusable.

So I propose some kind of well-structured manual, as you could see in google page above.

For example
:
GUI
-One-window applications
--Applications with main dialog window

OR
:
CORE
-Working with collections of objects
--NTL containers
---How and where to use Vector class

How you think? Is it good solution?
Of course it is tabbed with fulltext search.

P.S. Message #13000 Cool

[Updated on: Tue, 04 December 2007 16:25]

Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #13001 is a reply to message #13000] Tue, 04 December 2007 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Tue, 04 December 2007 10:21

Excuse my little vacation.
Mirek, I think that at least a part of documentation is to be done as some guide to writing specific applications. M$ tried to slve this problem by adding "How do I" topics, but their relization made them totally unusable.

So I propose some kind of well-structured manual, as you could see in google page above.

For example
:
GUI
-One-window applications
--Applications with main dialog window

OR
:
CORE
-Working with collections of objects
--NTL containers
---How and where to use Vector class

How you think? Is it good solution?
Of course it is tabbed with fulltext search.

P.S. Message #13000 Cool

Well, that should be the role of these "tutorials" in getting started.

Anyway, my plan was and is: Better some documentation than none. Priority is to get reference documentation and "fast paced" tutorials. When there is a good mass of documentation available, consider better structuring.

Sort of bottom-up - experiment - refactor approach we like to use when programming U++/with U++...

Mirek
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #13002 is a reply to message #12713] Tue, 04 December 2007 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

What do you mean by "fast paced tutorials"?
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #13003 is a reply to message #13002] Tue, 04 December 2007 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Tue, 04 December 2007 13:25

What do you mean by "fast paced tutorials"?

Well, it is more about my general view of how I like to learnin things.

Usually, if am about to learn some programming issue or API, I like to see the code and minimum explanation. That is why I have introduced those reference examples and that is why tutorials contain a lot of code and relatively low amount of explanation.

Mirek
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #13025 is a reply to message #12713] Wed, 05 December 2007 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Ok.
I suggest having 2 types of docs: autogenerated from sources and manual. Manual articles may hypelink to source-autogenerated articles. All these docs are accessible by 3 tabs:

1. Index
indexed source-autogenerated articles;

2. Manual
manual docs, something like site with hyperlinks;

3. Search
full-text search within source and manual docs;
user may check areas for search: source, manual, or both.

Only tabs, no magic words. Plain and simple.

Is it OK, any corrections?

[Updated on: Wed, 05 December 2007 18:19]

Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #13027 is a reply to message #13025] Wed, 05 December 2007 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Wed, 05 December 2007 12:19

Ok.
I suggest having 2 types of docs: autogenerated from sources and manual. Manual articles may hypelink to source-autogenerated articles. All these docs are accessible by 3 tabs:

1. Index
indexed source-autogenerated articles;

2. Manual
manual docs, something like site with hyperlinks;

3. Search
full-text search within source and manual docs;
user may check areas for search: source, manual, or both.

Only tabs, no magic words. Plain and simple.

Sure, but I am not sure whether something like such plan is very important right now.

I mean, yes, we plan to produce more docs. We plan to implement better ways how to access it.

IMO, both 1. and 3. are already "initiated".

Mirek
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #13038 is a reply to message #13025] Thu, 06 December 2007 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor

Documentation in source code would be very handy.

One line per method (at least).

Regards,
Novo

[Updated on: Thu, 06 December 2007 20:05]

Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #13041 is a reply to message #13038] Thu, 06 December 2007 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
Novo wrote on Thu, 06 December 2007 20:05

Current (separated) type of reference docs is very useful, I think. Some time ago I prefered doxygen docs of sources, but now, I don't care about it. The only problem is this tabbed help. Previous (windowed) version was better for me (using Alt+TAB is more easy, than clicking mouse). So I'm using online HTML docs currently.

Maybe it would be useful, to create a separate help viewer window or application with an "Edit" button, to allow editing topics, like in a wiki.
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #13042 is a reply to message #13038] Thu, 06 December 2007 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Thu, 06 December 2007 14:05

Planned de facto equivalent of what you want.

Mirek
Previous Topic: Task: How to read GTK/Gnome settings
Next Topic: U++ infrastructure server...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:02:28 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02972 seconds