Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » Applications created with U++ » Open Source Project
Open Source Project [message #13138] Sun, 16 December 2007 00:25 Go to next message
nixnixnix is currently offline  nixnixnix
Hi there,

A few years ago I wrote what is the industry standard software for designing wind-farms (please try not to laugh too hard those of you who are familiar with the level of my coding skills). Recently, I have been making something similar but better for a well-respected US consultancy and they have agreed that the best way forward is for this software to be launched as an open source software to encourage collaboration and participation from academics and other interested parties.

I am still in the development stage and am not ready to launch this on the open source community as yet (target date is summer 2008) but here is a screen shot which may give some idea of the theme of the GUI.

At the moment I am starting to ask outside other friendly consultancies to start testing the software. I do think though that this will mean a significant influx of UPP users and a lot of indirect publicity for UPP. I hope you have sufficient server capacity Wink

Please feel free to post impressions, questions or suggestions.

Nick

Re: Open Source Project [message #13145 is a reply to message #13138] Sun, 16 December 2007 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guido is currently offline  guido
Experienced Member
Hi!

Sorry to say that, but I wouldn't expect too much from open-sourcing here. Upp is still not very popular and mostly appeals to mISV types. Your application is vertical market, not of common interest, and probably requires highly specific domain knowledge from potential contributors. You'll probably want to directly contact researchers and students of the field. Contributers won't just come from bringing it online.

Guido
Re: Open Source Project [message #13149 is a reply to message #13145] Sun, 16 December 2007 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the feedback and you have it exactly right. We expect people to hear about it through the industry as we will be making a lot of effort to publicize it over the coming year at various wind energy industry events. Also, there are lots of academic and government sponsored researchers who we feel would welcome the opportunity to contribute to best practices in the way that wind energy is assessed. This is in addition to other consultancies who we already know would welcome the chance to be able to add their own code.

I don't expect or want it to appeal to everyone and I wasn't recruiting here. I was merely saying that this app is built entirely with UPP and will hopefully change the industry it is intended for. I realise that UPP does not have a large base but that Mirek and others do want to promote UPP and thats why I decided to add this context. A UPP project like this is very easy to contribute to as the IDE is free and very user-friendly. Also, if I do my job right, contributors can code fairly generic C++ code to slot their expertise into our framework. People who want to contribute will probably want to get into UPP.

I hadn't noticed anyone making open source apps with UPP so I thought I would trumpet mine Smile

Nick

Re: Open Source Project [message #13161 is a reply to message #13138] Mon, 17 December 2007 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Looks very interesting! Nice work so far, keep it up. Smile
Don't forget to post the site here once it goes OSS. Especially if there will be still some "TODO" work even for people without wind energy knowledge, so even some ordinary programmers may contribute couple of lines. I think I will never find some spare time to do it, but the screenshot looks fancy enough to make me feel already pity for not contributing too. Very Happy
Re: Open Source Project [message #13184 is a reply to message #13161] Wed, 19 December 2007 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks. Am sure there will be ample scope for input from non-wind people, if only to help cleanup/rewrite my terrible code Smile

Will post back here with more news when I have it.
Re: Open Source Project [message #15987 is a reply to message #13184] Wed, 21 May 2008 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

I study the U++ for move my projects too! I write in automate evidence of enterprises (accounting, production, salary)!
Re: Open Source Project [message #23455 is a reply to message #15987] Tue, 20 October 2009 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I just realised I never updated this thread. OpenWind has been released for some time now and is available here

http://awsopenwind.org

It is rapidly gaining industry acceptance and I am getting requests for a commercial (paid) version. I really could not have undertaken this project on any other platform than U++.

I have a link to UPP on my website but I'm about to add one to the AboutBox too Smile

Cheers everyone,

Nick
Re: Open Source Project [message #23460 is a reply to message #23455] Wed, 21 October 2009 08:27 Go to previous message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello nixnixnix

I promise to give you feedback about the software and the web page.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
IƱaki
Previous Topic: Scrum Tool
Next Topic: Google Translator
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:19:46 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01723 seconds