Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Nokia has bought Trolltech with it's QT framework
Nokia has bought Trolltech with it's QT framework [message #13800] Mon, 28 January 2008 14:52 Go to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

http://trolltech.com/company/newsroom/announcements/press.20 08-01-28.4605718236

" Espoo, Finland and Oslo, Norway , 28 January - 2008 - Nokia and Trolltech ASA today announced that they have entered into an agreement that Nokia will make a public voluntary tender offer to acquire Trolltech (www.trolltech.com), a company headquartered in Oslo, Norway and publicly listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange. Trolltech is a recognized software provider with world-class software development platforms and frameworks. In addition to the key software assets, its talented team will play an important role in accelerating the implementation of Nokia’s software strategy."

It`s hard to say whether it`s good or bad news. Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 28 January 2008 14:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Nokia has bought Trolltech with it's QT framework [message #13805 is a reply to message #13800] Mon, 28 January 2008 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Mon, 28 January 2008 08:52

http://trolltech.com/company/newsroom/announcements/press.20 08-01-28.4605718236

" Espoo, Finland and Oslo, Norway , 28 January - 2008 - Nokia and Trolltech ASA today announced that they have entered into an agreement that Nokia will make a public voluntary tender offer to acquire Trolltech (www.trolltech.com), a company headquartered in Oslo, Norway and publicly listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange. Trolltech is a recognized software provider with world-class software development platforms and frameworks. In addition to the key software assets, its talented team will play an important role in accelerating the implementation of Nokia�s software strategy."

It`s hard to say whether it`s good or bad news. Smile

Depends on for whom Wink

IMO, good news for Qt. Maybe bad news for KDE...

Mirek
Re: Nokia has bought Trolltech with it's QT framework [message #13811 is a reply to message #13805] Mon, 28 January 2008 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bytefield is currently offline  bytefield
Experienced Member
Seems good new for Gnome. Sorry for KDE guys. (Maybe Nokia want to make QT 100% open source Laughing )

cdabbd745f1234c2751ee1f932d1dd75
Re: Nokia has bought Trolltech with it's QT framework [message #13813 is a reply to message #13811] Tue, 29 January 2008 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Even if they change the license, KDE will probably still be able to use the current version for Qt. And AFAIK, Qt wanted to adopt some sources from kdelibs for Qt version 4.4, so it seems that they communicate and I don't think they will have problems. But who knows?

If you look a kde4 presentation video speech, except the shameless propaganda, you can see a lot of great ideas which could have great impact on open-source and cross-platform apps. Also, I'm running in a quite beta state a number of kde4 apps on Windows, and I hear it even works on Mac without an X server, so I hope there will be no way for Nokia to imped KDE's development.

Anyway, maybe they'll get rid of the silly MOC objects and replace them with a proper template based C++ signal/slot implementation Smile.
Re: Nokia has bought Trolltech with it's QT framework [message #13815 is a reply to message #13813] Tue, 29 January 2008 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Mon, 28 January 2008 18:42

Even if they change the license, KDE will probably still be able to use the current version for Qt. And AFAIK, Qt wanted to adopt some sources from kdelibs for Qt version 4.4, so it seems that they communicate and I don't think they will have problems. But who knows?

I am afraid that this will not matter. A lot of thing is not decided on technical/licensing matters. IMO, a lot of people, before choosing desktop environment, will take these news as drawback.

Besides, my feeling is that Gnome was a winner recently anyway. Nokia might be just last nail in the coffin...

Mirek
Re: Nokia has bought Trolltech with it's QT framework [message #13817 is a reply to message #13815] Tue, 29 January 2008 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Tue, 29 January 2008 07:52

Besides, my feeling is that Gnome was a winner recently anyway. Nokia might be just last nail in the coffin...

Same opinion about gnome and kde. At first Kde seemed to me better stuff, but now it became about as heavy as windows and less stable than gnome. They've really many good stuffs inside, indeed, but that'not enoug, I guess.

Ciao

Max
Re: Nokia has bought Trolltech with it's QT framework [message #13819 is a reply to message #13817] Tue, 29 January 2008 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Quote:

Same opinion about gnome and kde. At first Kde seemed to me better stuff, but now it became about as heavy as windows and less stable than gnome. They've really many good stuffs inside, indeed, but that'not enoug, I guess.

I thought that KDE 3.5 was quite stable.
Re: Nokia has bought Trolltech with it's QT framework [message #13851 is a reply to message #13819] Tue, 29 January 2008 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
cbpporter wrote on Tue, 29 January 2008 10:09

I thought that KDE 3.5 was quite stable.

Well, I tried in the past Red Hat + KDE, Suse linux (based on KDE), and recently Kubuntu, also on KDE.
IMO, latest Gnome is more stable and seems (but it can be only a feeling) much more responsive to user commands.
Of course, KDE has more technology inside, more apps and some more integration over Gnome, but..... That's the 4th time I try to go from windows to linux, and the first I stay with linux, thanx to ubuntu and gnome.
I'm using it at work too, with vmware (sigh) just to run my cad application that requires windows and I'm very happy with it.
After one year not a single crash, not in system nor in applications.
KDE apps used to crash often on my previous experiments.
I did even a KDE install on my ubuntu, but I removed it after a while....

I had the feeling that kde was spreading resources to get too many apps inside, loosing on stability... but I can be wrong.

Ciao

Max
Re: Nokia has bought Trolltech with it's QT framework [message #13867 is a reply to message #13800] Wed, 30 January 2008 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tvanriper is currently offline  tvanriper
Ubuntu, as a distribution, works extremely well. I do not know if Gnome should claim the credit for this as much as the careful efforts of the Ubuntu team, but it's certainly a very compelling alternative now to Windows.

Still, I have always had some concern about KDE's licensing. Perhaps, now, we will see if the Gnome folks were correct to make that enough of an issue to maintain the fork between window managers for posix systems.
Re: Nokia has bought Trolltech with it's QT framework [message #13868 is a reply to message #13867] Wed, 30 January 2008 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Well, my main WM is KDE whenever I work under Linux (haven't worked in about 4-5 months). I use it because it very configurable, has a lot of useful applications (I don't like 1000 apps doing the job of one). I did get some very rare crashes of apps, but the KDE was completely uncrushable. If KDE is not available, my second choice is fluxbox or enlightenment.

But I'm biased anyway, because I absolutely hate the layout of the windows manager from Gnome (and I'm not too fund of Ubuntu).

Anyway, if Nokia goes through with it, maybe it will have a positive impact? Only time will tell.
Re: Nokia has bought Trolltech with it's QT framework [message #13881 is a reply to message #13868] Wed, 30 January 2008 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bytefield is currently offline  bytefield
Experienced Member
Have a look at that. Rolling Eyes
Quote:

"Chief Trolls and Nokia VP are now asking for ideas and comments on improving their relationship with the open source community."

Let's take a look at the first item on the agenda:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Nokia+software+patents

Bad news

cdabbd745f1234c2751ee1f932d1dd75
Re: Nokia has bought Trolltech with it's QT framework [message #14121 is a reply to message #13800] Wed, 13 February 2008 10:56 Go to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Hmm, ahead of this Sun bought MySQL AB, now Sun is buying the VirtualBox creators.

That's 3 big pieces of OSS which are in my every-day vicinity (VirtualBox not really, I was only looking forward to start to use it in near future, but KDE and MySQL is something I use daily) bought by larger company.

I'm not going to speculate how it will change the life (of those applications, and maybe my own too), because I have really no idea, I will just wait and see. But curious times we are living in. Smile
Previous Topic: Arjun Bijanki: Making Sense of VC Intellisense
Next Topic: Webtoolkit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:35:10 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01402 seconds