Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » C++ language problems and code snippets » Template problem
Template problem [message #14248] Wed, 20 February 2008 22:54 Go to next message
bytefield is currently offline  bytefield
Experienced Member
Hi. I have one example about how to create a "safe" vector inheriting it from STL vector. The code is showed below. I have errors compiling it under Ubuntu.
#include <vector>
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

struct Entry
{
	string name;
	int number;
};

template< class T > class Vec: public vector< T >
{
public:
	Vec(): vector< T >(){}
	Vec(int s): vector< T >(s){}

T& operator[](int i) { return vector<T>::at(i); }	
	const T& operator[](int i) const { return vector<T>::at(i); } // oups, forgotten to put last const keyword
};

Vec< Entry > tel(1000);

void print_entry(int i)
{
	cout << tel[i].name << ' ' << tel[i].number << '\n';
}

int main()
{
	try
	{
		print_entry(1000);
	}
	catch(out_of_range)
	{
		std::cerr << "Domain error\n";
		return 1;
	}
	catch(...)
	{
		std::cerr << "Unknow exception\n";
		return 1;
	}
	return 0;
}

What could be the problem(s)?

Compiler version:
Using built-in specs.
Target: i486-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,treelang --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.1.3 --program-suffix=-4.1 --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-mpfr --enable-checking=release i486-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)

Errors:
vec.cpp: In instantiation of ‘Vec<Entry>’:
vec.cpp:22:   instantiated from here
vec.cpp:19: error: ‘const T& Vec<T>::operator[](int) [with T = Entry]’ cannot be overloaded
vec.cpp:18: error: with ‘T& Vec<T>::operator[](int) [with T = Entry]’
vec.cpp: In function ‘int main()’:
vec.cpp:35: error: expected type-specifier before ‘out_of_range’
vec.cpp:35: error: ‘...’ handler must be the last handler for its try block

L.E: See line 19 const T& operator[](int i) const { return vector<T>::at(i); }
My mistake, now overloading the [] operator work.

cdabbd745f1234c2751ee1f932d1dd75

[Updated on: Thu, 24 April 2008 17:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Template problem [message #14249 is a reply to message #14248] Wed, 20 February 2008 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Strange...
In Windows with MVC 2005 EE it compiles well and work as expected if i comment out the second redefinition of [] operator. On linux(and Windows with mingw(g++)) still get errors about catch.
vec.cpp: In function ‘int main()’:
vec.cpp:35: error: expected type-specifier before ‘out_of_range’
vec.cpp:35: error: ‘...’ handler must be the last handler for its try block

Re: Template problem [message #14264 is a reply to message #14249] Thu, 21 February 2008 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Problem solved... Rolling Eyes
Guess the problem is with g++ STL implementation. It is different from MS implementation. Maybe i give a try with stlport, before really closing the problem.
I also have some questions: which compiler you use daily?
which one appear to implement better the C++ standard?
on which platform you develop your software?

Re: Template problem [message #14265 is a reply to message #14264] Thu, 21 February 2008 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Problem closed. Stlport is almost alike g++ STL. I'm get tired trying to understand those headers. Crying or Very Sad Never try to understand STL implementation! Laughing I mean it deep implementation. The surface always seems clear Razz

Re: Template problem [message #14266 is a reply to message #14265] Thu, 21 February 2008 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masu is currently offline  masu
Hi,

your problem rather is related to wrong function overloading.
If you want to overload a function with another one, they must differ in their signature, i.e. they cannot have the same parameter list. The return value is not part of the signature, so you get an error.

You should decide which version to take.
I don't know what the MSC does, but I think it silently discards one function (which in my opinion is not a good habit).

Matthias
Re: Template problem [message #14284 is a reply to message #14266] Thu, 21 February 2008 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
OK. I know now about overloading function, that's way I've commented one out. But the problem still remain first catch (with out_of_range) and how out_of_range exception is raised in g++ STL implementation. In MS STL implementation (who in past was worse than g++ STL) it compile well. Seems g++ don't recognize such an exception. That's why I've asked which compiler others use.
Expected type-specifier before 'out_of_range' means that out_of_range need to be of some type(and seems it's not). If it is Standard Template Library shouldn't it work in the same way on each platform or compiler which come with such implementation?
If out_of_range exception is implemented in MSC STL and even Bjarne Stroustrup (which guess use a unix os Laughing ) spoken in his book(from where I've got this example) about it, shouldn't it be available on all STL impl.? (Well, guess Bjarne use his own version of compiler. Smile )

Re: Template problem [message #14307 is a reply to message #14284] Fri, 22 February 2008 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masu is currently offline  masu
Concerning the exception, I get the error:
d:\programs\upp-svn\MyApps\StdVecTst\StdVecTst.cpp: In function `int main()':
d:\programs\upp-svn\MyApps\StdVecTst\StdVecTst.cpp:38: error: `out_of_range' has not been declared
d:\programs\upp-svn\MyApps\StdVecTst\StdVecTst.cpp:38: error: invalid catch parameter
d:\programs\upp-svn\MyApps\StdVecTst\StdVecTst.cpp:38: error: `...' handler must be the last handler for its try block

After looking through c++ headers, I found I need to include 'stdexcept' and then it compiles fine. It is nowhere included in the other headers. I assume MSC includes it somewhere in vector headers and that's why there is no problem.

WinXP, Mingw 3.4.2

Matthias
Re: Template problem [message #14310 is a reply to message #14307] Fri, 22 February 2008 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Yes, you are right. It solve the problem. Thanks. Smile

Re: Template problem [message #14320 is a reply to message #14310] Fri, 22 February 2008 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waxblood is currently offline  waxblood
I remember Mirek once said somewhere in the forum that inheriting classes from upp containers is discouraged, as it is with STL... . Maybe problems arise just because STL is not designed to do such operations, but I can't tell more.

David
Re: Template problem [message #14323 is a reply to message #14320] Fri, 22 February 2008 14:58 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
waxblood wrote on Fri, 22 February 2008 15:32

I remember Mirek once said somewhere in the forum that inheriting classes from upp containers is discouraged, as it is with STL... . Maybe problems arise just because STL is not designed to do such operations, but I can't tell more.

David

Yeah i know it's not a good behavior but in that case(it was an example from Bjarne C++ programming book) std::vector doesn't raise any exception if you use [] operator over the vector limits and it could result in segmentation fault. So a solution to this problem is to inherit from vector and in new [] operator use return vector::at(i) which raise an exception if i is out of vector limits(see first example).

Sometimes is useful to inherit from containers[ex. if you want to make some gui stuff(ex. sizers) and cannot keep container as member].

Previous Topic: Try / catch
Next Topic: multiple classes include-problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:40:41 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00956 seconds