Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » OS Problems etc., Win32, POSIX, MacOS, FreeBSD, X11 etc » U++ heap Leak errors on Linux (Kubuntu)
U++ heap Leak errors on Linux (Kubuntu) [message #14466] Wed, 27 February 2008 00:49 Go to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Hi,
I have a question: I have installed U++ .deb package and compiled the sources, but whenever I close the U++ applications (any application), I get "heap leak" errors on Kubuntu (with dynamic linked libs only - static linking does not work at all, it gives errors). Hovewer, I've managed to prevent the "heap leaks" by adding the NOGTK keyword to the build methods. But in that case, the U++ applications return to the classic skin and does not adapt themselves to the system visual styles (even if the desktop is KDE, not Gnome). Confused
Also, I tested the MALLOC keyword combination too, but it didn't compile either.

Here is a sample. When I try to compile an app with DEBUG + static linking or any release mode + static linking, I get the below errors:

----- CtrlLib ( GUI GCC DEBUG BLITZ LINUX ) (1 / 9)
----- CtrlCore ( GUI GCC DEBUG BLITZ LINUX ) (2 / 9)
----- RichText ( GUI GCC DEBUG BLITZ LINUX ) (3 / 9)
----- PdfDraw ( GUI GCC DEBUG BLITZ LINUX ) (4 / 9)
----- Draw ( GUI GCC DEBUG BLITZ LINUX ) (5 / 9)
----- plugin/bmp ( GUI GCC DEBUG BLITZ LINUX ) (6 / 9)
----- Core ( GUI GCC DEBUG BLITZ LINUX ) (7 / 9)
----- plugin\png ( GUI GCC DEBUG BLITZ LINUX ) (8 / 9)
----- HelloWorld ( GUI MAIN GCC DEBUG BLITZ LINUX ) (9 / 9)
Linking...
/home/maldoror/upp/out/Core/GCC.Debug.Gui/$blitz.o: In function `CheckDll__(char const*, char const* const*, Upp::Vector<void*>&)':
$blitz.cpp:(.text+0x21021): warning: Using 'dlopen' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version u
	sed for linking
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libglib-2.0.a(gutils.o): In function `g_get_any_init_do':
(.text+0x1472): warning: Using 'getpwuid' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for li
	nking
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libglib-2.0.a(gutils.o): In function `g_get_any_init_do':
(.text+0x1465): warning: Using 'setpwent' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for li
	nking
(.text+0x147a): warning: Using 'endpwent' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for li
	nking
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libX11.a(GetDflt.o): In function `GetHomeDir':
/build/buildd/libx11-1.1.1/obj-i486-linux-gnu/src/../../src/GetDflt.c:133: warning: Using 'getpwnam_r' in statically linked applications requires at ru
	ntime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
/build/buildd/libx11-1.1.1/obj-i486-linux-gnu/src/../../src/GetDflt.c:135: warning: Using 'getpwuid_r' in statically linked applications requires at ru
	ntime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libX11.a(x11_trans.o): In function `_X11TransSocketOpen':
/usr/include/X11/Xtrans/Xtranssock.c:472: warning: Using 'getaddrinfo' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from 
	the glibc version used for linking
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libX11.a(x11_trans.o): In function `UnixHostReallyLocal':
/usr/include/X11/Xtrans/Xtranssock.c:1893: warning: Using 'gethostbyname' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries fr
	om the glibc version used for linking
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libX11.a(x11_trans.o): In function `_X11TransSocketINETConnect':
/usr/include/X11/Xtrans/Xtranssock.c:1678: warning: Using 'getservbyname' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries fr
	om the glibc version used for linking
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.a(gdkdisplay-x11.o): In function `gdk_display_open':
(.text+0xfbd): undefined reference to `XCompositeQueryExtension'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.a(gdkdisplay-x11.o): In function `gdk_display_open':
(.text+0xfe4): undefined reference to `XDamageQueryExtension'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.a(gdkevents-x11.o): In function `gdk_event_translate':
(.text+0x1947): undefined reference to `XDamageSubtract'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.a(gdkwindow-x11.o): In function `_gdk_windowing_window_set_composited':
(.text+0xbb): undefined reference to `XCompositeRedirectWindow'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.a(gdkwindow-x11.o): In function `_gdk_windowing_window_set_composited':
(.text+0xcf): undefined reference to `XDamageCreate'
(.text+0xf3): undefined reference to `XCompositeUnredirectWindow'
(.text+0x102): undefined reference to `XDamageDestroy'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-jpeg.o): In function `real_save_jpeg':
(.text+0x3a6): undefined reference to `jpeg_std_error'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-jpeg.o): In function `real_save_jpeg':
(.text+0x3e8): undefined reference to `jpeg_CreateCompress'
(.text+0x47b): undefined reference to `jpeg_set_defaults'
(.text+0x495): undefined reference to `jpeg_set_quality'
(.text+0x4a5): undefined reference to `jpeg_start_compress'
(.text+0x531): undefined reference to `jpeg_write_scanlines'
(.text+0x559): undefined reference to `jpeg_finish_compress'
(.text+0x561): undefined reference to `jpeg_destroy_compress'
(.text+0x5fa): undefined reference to `jpeg_destroy_compress'
(.text+0x694): undefined reference to `jpeg_stdio_dest'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-jpeg.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__jpeg_image_load_lines':
(.text+0xe8d): undefined reference to `jpeg_read_scanlines'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-jpeg.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__jpeg_image_load_increment':
(.text+0x10ec): undefined reference to `jpeg_start_output'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-jpeg.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__jpeg_image_load_increment':
(.text+0x112e): undefined reference to `jpeg_finish_output'
(.text+0x1147): undefined reference to `jpeg_input_complete'
(.text+0x1156): undefined reference to `jpeg_input_complete'
(.text+0x120f): undefined reference to `jpeg_save_markers'
(.text+0x121f): undefined reference to `jpeg_read_header'
(.text+0x129a): undefined reference to `jpeg_calc_output_dimensions'
(.text+0x12d0): undefined reference to `jpeg_calc_output_dimensions'
(.text+0x1361): undefined reference to `jpeg_start_decompress'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-jpeg.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__jpeg_image_stop_load':
(.text+0x1507): undefined reference to `jpeg_destroy_decompress'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-jpeg.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__jpeg_image_stop_load':
(.text+0x153c): undefined reference to `jpeg_finish_decompress'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-jpeg.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__jpeg_image_load':
(.text+0x15ad): undefined reference to `jpeg_std_error'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-jpeg.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__jpeg_image_load':
(.text+0x160c): undefined reference to `jpeg_CreateDecompress'
(.text+0x1666): undefined reference to `jpeg_resync_to_restart'
(.text+0x169e): undefined reference to `jpeg_save_markers'
(.text+0x16ae): undefined reference to `jpeg_read_header'
(.text+0x16bf): undefined reference to `jpeg_start_decompress'
(.text+0x1783): undefined reference to `jpeg_read_scanlines'
(.text+0x17d2): undefined reference to `jpeg_destroy_decompress'
(.text+0x1820): undefined reference to `jpeg_finish_decompress'
(.text+0x1828): undefined reference to `jpeg_destroy_decompress'
(.text+0x1904): undefined reference to `jpeg_destroy_decompress'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-jpeg.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__jpeg_image_begin_load':
(.text+0x19d6): undefined reference to `jpeg_CreateDecompress'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-jpeg.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__jpeg_image_begin_load':
(.text+0x1a13): undefined reference to `jpeg_std_error'
(.text+0x1a53): undefined reference to `jpeg_resync_to_restart'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `tiff_pop_handlers':
(.text+0x1e4): undefined reference to `TIFFSetErrorHandler'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `tiff_pop_handlers':
(.text+0x1f1): undefined reference to `TIFFSetWarningHandler'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `tiff_push_handlers':
(.text+0x234): undefined reference to `TIFFSetErrorHandler'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `tiff_push_handlers':
(.text+0x245): undefined reference to `TIFFSetWarningHandler'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__tiff_image_save_to_callback':
(.text+0x3ed): undefined reference to `TIFFClientOpen'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__tiff_image_save_to_callback':
(.text+0x487): undefined reference to `TIFFSetField'
(.text+0x49e): undefined reference to `TIFFSetField'
(.text+0x4b6): undefined reference to `TIFFSetField'
(.text+0x4d6): undefined reference to `TIFFSetField'
(.text+0x4ed): undefined reference to `TIFFSetField'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o):(.text+0x50c): more undefined references to `TIFFSetField' follow
(.text+0x592): undefined reference to `TIFFWriteScanline'
(.text+0x5d6): undefined reference to `TIFFClose'
(.text+0x600): undefined reference to `TIFFSetField'
(.text+0x617): undefined reference to `TIFFSetField'
(.text+0x624): undefined reference to `TIFFClose'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `tiff_image_parse':
(.text+0x96b): undefined reference to `TIFFGetField'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `tiff_image_parse':
(.text+0x9d0): undefined reference to `TIFFGetField'
(.text+0xac5): undefined reference to `TIFFGetField'
(.text+0xb39): undefined reference to `TIFFReadRGBAImageOriented'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__tiff_image_stop_load':
(.text+0xe35): undefined reference to `TIFFClientOpen'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__tiff_image_stop_load':
(.text+0xe7d): undefined reference to `TIFFClose'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__tiff_image_load':
(.text+0x1046): undefined reference to `TIFFFdOpen'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a(io-tiff.o): In function `gdk_pixbuf__tiff_image_load':
(.text+0x10a2): undefined reference to `TIFFClose'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libpangocairo-1.0.a(libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo-fcfontmap.o): In function `pango_cairo_fc_font_ma
	p_get_type':
(.text+0x7a): undefined reference to `pango_fc_font_map_get_type'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libpangocairo-1.0.a(libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo-fcfontmap.o): In function `pango_cairo_fc_font_ma
	p_set_resolution':
(.text+0x16e): undefined reference to `pango_fc_font_map_cache_clear'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libpangocairo-1.0.a(libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo-fcfont.o): In function `pango_cairo_fc_font_get_t
	ype':
(.text+0x6a): undefined reference to `pango_fc_font_get_type'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libpangocairo-1.0.a(libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo-fcfont.o): In function `pango_cairo_fc_font_creat
	e_metrics_for_context':
(.text+0x335): undefined reference to `pango_fc_font_create_metrics_for_context'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libpango-1.0.a(libpango_thai_lang_la-thai-lang.o): In function `thai_engine_break':
(.text+0x124): undefined reference to `th_uni2tis'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libpango-1.0.a(libpango_thai_lang_la-thai-lang.o): In function `thai_engine_break':
(.text+0x173): undefined reference to `th_brk'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/../../../../lib/libX11.a(ConnDis.o): In function `GetAuthorization':
/build/buildd/libx11-1.1.1/obj-i486-linux-gnu/src/../../src/ConnDis.c:1253: undefined reference to `XauDisposeAuth'
/build/buildd/libx11-1.1.1/obj-i486-linux-gnu/src/../../src/ConnDis.c:1058: undefined reference to `XauGetBestAuthByAddr'
/build/buildd/libx11-1.1.1/obj-i486-linux-gnu/src/../../src/ConnDis.c:1197: undefined reference to `XdmcpWrap'
collect2: ld çıkış durumu 1 ile döndü

There were errors. (0:28.73)

I used hello world example, but I can confirm that the errors are almost identical.

Then, I Used dynamic linking and DEBUG + NOGTK, which resulted as this (here I use theIde, but again the behaviour is same in all compiled U++ apps):

index.php?t=getfile&id=1041&private=0

Look at the difference between the taskbar, window NC area and U++ working area.

Also, I have to say that, first I tried with the .deb package of 2007.1, then I updated the U++ source to 2008.1 and recompiled. But the errors remained the same.

When I compile the codes in traditional manner (solely DEBUG, or any release mode + dynamic linking and without any additional keyword) Everythings seem to work well, Until I close the app. When the app is closed, OS gives heap leak errors...

Any idea???

I use Kubuntu 7.10 (Gusty) and it is up-to-date.

Regards.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 February 2008 01:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: U++ heap Leak errors on Linux (Kubuntu) [message #14497 is a reply to message #14466] Wed, 27 February 2008 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
Well, the appearance is normal with NOGTK flag since you need GTK for detecting host theme. And it is very difficult to statically link with GTK+, so IMO it is best just to do full dynamic links.

As to the heap leaks, that is not normal. Chances are that it's your code but the problem can be hard to track down if it's to do with global/static variables.
Re: U++ heap Leak errors on Linux (Kubuntu) [message #14507 is a reply to message #14497] Wed, 27 February 2008 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guido is currently offline  guido
Experienced Member
Gtk theming doesn't work, when statically linked. Since that is all upp uses Gtk for, it is not only difficult to do, but also pointless Very Happy
Maybe the ide could be more helpful here. Quite a lot of build options a beginner is easily lost in, at least on the X11 side.
Re: U++ heap Leak errors on Linux (Kubuntu) [message #14510 is a reply to message #14507] Wed, 27 February 2008 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Quote:

Gtk theming doesn't work, when statically linked. Since that is all upp uses Gtk for, it is not only difficult to do, but also pointless Very Happy
Maybe the ide could be more helpful here. Quite a lot of build options a beginner is easily lost in, at least on the X11 side.

Smile Yes you are right but here the main problem is not gtk or theming. Those attempts were to eliminate the "heap leak" problem.

As I stated in the first topic, When I don't compile with NOGTK macro, ANY application I compile with U++ works and "looks" well until the program is terminated. But when I terminate them, (ANY U++ app, not only those I wrote) they just give "heap leak" error (even theIDE itself, that's why you see theIDE in the screenshot without theming), and that "heap leak" is quite deadly, since almost always it leads to a deadlock after a while. I've tried to backtrace the problem but couldn't arrive any result yet. But one thing is for sure: that the problem lies between U++ core and the OS itself (whether the X server or KDE, I'm not sure).

[Updated on: Wed, 27 February 2008 23:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: U++ heap Leak errors on Linux (Kubuntu) [message #14812 is a reply to message #14510] Sat, 15 March 2008 16:11 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Oblivion wrote on Wed, 27 February 2008 17:36

Quote:

Smile Yes you are right but here the main problem is not gtk or theming. Those attempts were to eliminate the "heap leak" problem.

As I stated in the first topic, When I don't compile with NOGTK macro, ANY application I compile with U++ works and "looks" well until the program is terminated. But when I terminate them, (ANY U++ app, not only those I wrote) they just give "heap leak" error (even theIDE itself, that's why you see theIDE in the screenshot without theming), and that "heap leak" is quite deadly, since almost always it leads to a deadlock after a while. I've tried to backtrace the problem but couldn't arrive any result yet. But one thing is for sure: that the problem lies between U++ core and the OS itself (whether the X server or KDE, I'm not sure).

Sorry that I have ignored KDE problem for so long.... Sad

OK, installed KDE, tried, got leaks Smile

Working theory: The problem is that by overloading new/delete, we impose leak detector upon Qt libs as well.

In ChGtk code, I have not cared, so far, about destroying proxy GTK widgets used to to paint stuff. With "real" Gtk this is not an issue, because we do not track malloc leaks (and of course, all is allocated just once on application startup too). But with GTK, somewhere deep inside our overloaded new is used -> not destroying stuff is serious problem....

I will try to add proper cleanup to the code. But still there might be another issue - if there are any leaks in Qt/KDE, they will be detected as well Wink

Mirek

Previous Topic: Latest Linux distrib
Next Topic: cross compile from win32 to Linux
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:14:25 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01164 seconds