Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » Ultimate++ on Arch Linux?
Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14548] Mon, 03 March 2008 01:57 Go to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
Hello!
I see you provide deb files for Ultimate++ on Linux.
It would be OK if I was running Debian or Ubuntu, but I'm running Arch Linux.

How can I install Ultimate++ on systems that don't handle deb or rpm files?

Thanks
Re: Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14550 is a reply to message #14548] Mon, 03 March 2008 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

lectus wrote on Sun, 02 March 2008 19:57

Hello!
I see you provide deb files for Ultimate++ on Linux.
It would be OK if I was running Debian or Ubuntu, but I'm running Arch Linux.
How can I install Ultimate++ on systems that don't handle deb or rpm files?
Thanks

I use Arch too Wink You can just unpack rpm manually (you need theide file only). If theide won't start try to build it using a makefile attached to upp sources (it was attached in previous linux packages)

[Updated on: Mon, 03 March 2008 10:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14584 is a reply to message #14548] Tue, 04 March 2008 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm more or less new to linux. I don't understand how exactly I can do this.
I could unpack the rpm with rpmextract, but when I start theide it can't find the examples and the libraries path. So, how can I get it right?
Can you please provide a mini-tutorial showing which package to download and which commands to type to get U++ installed?

Thank you

EDIT: It seems I got it installed by unpacking to /usr and running theide.
The problem now is that I can't compile any U++ project.
The compiler can't find "bits/atomicity.h".

[Updated on: Tue, 04 March 2008 06:09]

Re: Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14599 is a reply to message #14584] Tue, 04 March 2008 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
lectus wrote on Tue, 04 March 2008 05:56

I'm more or less new to linux. I don't understand how exactly I can do this.
I could unpack the rpm with rpmextract, but when I start theide it can't find the examples and the libraries path. So, how can I get it right?
Can you please provide a mini-tutorial showing which package to download and which commands to type to get U++ installed?

Thank you

EDIT: It seems I got it installed by unpacking to /usr and running theide.
The problem now is that I can't compile any U++ project.
The compiler can't find "bits/atomicity.h".

Well, quick instructions to manual install of .deb package in rpm distro.... not tested but should work well.
1) extract from .deb the file 'data.tar.gz'. .deb files are just archives, so it's quite easy.
2) put 'data.tar.gz' on root folder (/) and unpack it, as a superuser :
     tar -xzf data.tar.gz
that should recreate the correct folder three. If you use SVN packages, it will put sources in /usr/share/upp-svn/..., the binary in /usr/bin/theide-svn, and so on.
3) Launch theide-svn executable; it will prompt and ask if you want to copy files in user path. Just say OK and accept the default, or change it if you like.

On updates, simply repeat all above steps.
As told above, for svn packages the executable is named 'theide-svn', the default user folder is ~/upp-svn. That allows to have svn, (future) devel and (future) stable releases together.

Ciao

Max

[Updated on: Tue, 04 March 2008 13:58]

Re: Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14602 is a reply to message #14599] Tue, 04 March 2008 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Quote:

I'm more or less new to linux.

IMO, Arch is really not well suited if you are new to Linux. Try something more user friendly until you get really comfortable with command line. Do you use it for the 686 optimized binaries?
Re: Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14614 is a reply to message #14602] Tue, 04 March 2008 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter wrote on Tue, 04 March 2008 08:14

Quote:

I'm more or less new to linux.

IMO, Arch is really not well suited if you are new to Linux. Try something more user friendly until you get really comfortable with command line. Do you use it for the 686 optimized binaries?

I know linux. I just didn't know how to install Ultimate++ in it. I use Arch to learn more about Linux.

mdelfede: Thanks. I'll try it.
EDIT: It was the same what I did before. I just didn't use the commandline. When I tried first it installed but couldn't compile anything. Now it installed again, but the examples didn't load into theide.
Very strange.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 March 2008 16:35]

Re: Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14620 is a reply to message #14614] Tue, 04 March 2008 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
lectus wrote on Tue, 04 March 2008 16:24

mdelfede: Thanks. I'll try it.
EDIT: It was the same what I did before. I just didn't use the commandline. When I tried first it installed but couldn't compile anything. Now it installed again, but the examples didn't load into theide.
Very strange.

mhhhh... *if* you used svn package and *if* you installed it on right places (i.e., the correct three, with theide-svn in /usr/bin and upp source three in /usr/share/upp-svn) it should work.
At least, if you're not missing some dependencies and/or header files.... Which kind of error do you get ?

Max

edit : how did you manage to put stuffs on /usr/bin and /usr/share/upp-svn without command line ? you can, but then you must run nautilus (or whatever you have as file manager) as root.
If you didn't put source tree in right place, it can't work.
BTW, before trying again, remove .upp tree in you home dir :
rm -r ~/.upp

then try *exactly* what I posted before.
Hope that helps...

Max

[Updated on: Tue, 04 March 2008 19:54]

Re: Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14622 is a reply to message #14548] Tue, 04 March 2008 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got it installed!

But can't compile anything:
Quote:

----- CtrlLib ( GUI GCC DEBUG SHARED BLITZ LINUX ) (1 / 10)
BLITZ: LabelBase.cpp Button.cpp Switch.cpp EditField.cpp Text.cpp LineEdit.cpp DocEdit.cpp ScrollBar.cpp HeaderCtrl.cpp ArrayCtrl.cpp DropBox.cpp DropList.cpp DropPusher.cpp DropChoice
.cpp Static.cpp Splitter.cpp FrameSplitter.cpp SliderCtrl.cpp ColumnList.cpp Progress.cpp AKeys.cpp RichTextView.cpp Prompt.cpp Help.cpp DateTimeCtrl.cpp Bar.cpp MenuBar.cpp ToolBa
r.cpp ToolTip.cpp StatusBar.cpp TabCtrl.cpp TreeCtrl.cpp DlgColor.cpp ColorPopup.cpp ColorPusher.cpp FileList.cpp FileSel.cpp PrinterJob.cpp Windows.cpp Win32.cpp TrayIconWin32.cpp
TrayIconX11.cpp CtrlUtil.cpp Update.cpp LNGCtrl.cpp Ch.cpp ChGtk.cpp
In file included from /home/freddy/upp/uppsrc/Draw/Draw.h:4,
from /home/freddy/upp/uppsrc/CtrlCore/CtrlCore.h:4,
from /home/freddy/upp/uppsrc/CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h:4,
from /home/freddy/upp/uppsrc/CtrlLib/LabelBase.cpp:1,
from /home/freddy/upp/out/CtrlLib/GCC.Debug.Gui.Shared/$blitz.cpp :3:
/home/freddy/upp/uppsrc/Core/Core.h:303:28: error: bits/atomicity.h: Arquivo ou diretório não encontrado
In file included from /home/freddy/upp/out/CtrlLib/GCC.Debug.Gui.Shared/$blitz.cpp :271:
/home/freddy/upp/uppsrc/CtrlLib/ChGtk.cpp: In function ‘void Upp::ChHostSkin()’:
/home/freddy/upp/uppsrc/CtrlLib/ChGtk.cpp:453: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
ChWin32.cpp
from /home/freddy/upp/uppsrc/CtrlLib/ChWin32.cpp:1:
/home/freddy/upp/uppsrc/Core/Core.h:303:28: error: bits/atomicity.h: Arquivo ou diretório não encontrado
CtrlLib.icpp
from /home/freddy/upp/uppsrc/CtrlLib/CtrlLib.icpp:1:
CtrlLib: 49 file(s) built in (0:14.40), 293 msecs / file, duration = 14531 msecs

There were errors. (0:14.53)

It's missing bits/atomicity. What depedencies am I missing?

[Updated on: Tue, 04 March 2008 20:30]

Re: Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14623 is a reply to message #14622] Tue, 04 March 2008 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
you're missing some devel libs/includes.
I don't know arclinux, in ubuntu you could get them (afaik) inistalling build-essentials package.... I think you must look for some docs on how to get build environment in arclinux.

Ciao

Max
Re: Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14624 is a reply to message #14548] Tue, 04 March 2008 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks! But I already have GCC installed. But build-essentials is a meta-package that only exists on Ubuntu.

EDIT: I installed from Arch Linux AUR (unsupported repo) and now works!!
Thanks!

[Updated on: Tue, 04 March 2008 21:56]

Re: Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14627 is a reply to message #14624] Tue, 04 March 2008 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
The good stuff of debian packages is that dependencies are really well solved.... Never got that so good when I used rpm.

Max
Re: Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14629 is a reply to message #14624] Tue, 04 March 2008 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
lectus wrote on Tue, 04 March 2008 21:12

Thanks! But I already have GCC installed. But build-essentials is a meta-package that only exists on Ubuntu.

EDIT: I installed from Arch Linux AUR (unsupported repo) and now works!!
Thanks!

GCC is GNU collection of compilers... it's far from complete build toolchain. (there's a reason why it is called "tool chain" after all)
Compiler is very very important part of building process, but also quite small part of it anyway.

The meta-package "build-essentials" on *Ubuntu was one of those points which made me very enthusiastic and happy about Kubuntu. I really fell in love for the 1 step process of turning my freshly installed user desktop OS into environment ready to produce SW. Since than I found also many things which make me sad, but still in overall I like it a lot.
Re: Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14635 is a reply to message #14629] Wed, 05 March 2008 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Quote:

I know linux. I just didn't know how to install Ultimate++ in it. I use Arch to learn more about Linux.

Sorry, I didn't mean to implly that you don't know it. I was just suggesting a more user friendlly distro with larger user base.

But if you want to really go in depth with Linux, I guess Arch is a very good candidate offering a nice balance of manual configuration and maybe possibly frustration Smile.

Quote:

GCC is GNU collection of compilers... it's far from complete build toolchain. (there's a reason why it is called "tool chain" after all)
Compiler is very very important part of building process, but also quite small part of it anyway.

The meta-package "build-essentials" on *Ubuntu was one of those points which made me very enthusiastic and happy about Kubuntu. I really fell in love for the 1 step process of turning my freshly installed user desktop OS into environment ready to produce SW. Since than I found also many things which make me sad, but still in overall I like it a lot.

Well, here is some info regarding build-essential: link. It is Ubuntu specific, but could point you in the right direction of what packages to download. You need the dev packages of you basic C/C++ library functions + glib-dev + gtk-dev (If you want skinning). Sorry that I can't give you more specific info, because I usually just tick a checkbox or two in setup, and have an almost fully functional build machine.
Re: Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14669 is a reply to message #14548] Thu, 06 March 2008 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, Ubuntu is very handy for that. Razz
But for now, I'll stick to my arch.

BTW... I got it pretty much installed on Arch Linux and compiles fine. My problem now: I don't get the templates when I click "new package".
What files am I missing?
Re: Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14691 is a reply to message #14669] Sun, 09 March 2008 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waxblood is currently offline  waxblood
Quote:

I don't get the templates when I click "new package".
What files am I missing?

See this thread:
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=935 9&#msg_9359

Maybe there are other template files you could find useful, look for *.upt in uppsrc directory

David
Re: Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14699 is a reply to message #14548] Sun, 09 March 2008 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks waxblood.
This pretty much solves my problem. I can now use Ultimate++ on Arch Linux (my current favorite linux).

For anyone wanting to install Ultimate++ on Arch Linux follow these steps:
1) Get the Ultimate++ PKGBUILD from http://aur.archlinux.org.
2) Go to a terminal, on the same folder as the PKGBUILD and run: makepkg
3) Type pacman -U upp-2007.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz (I used this version)
4) Run TheIde. Say OK so it copies the files to your home folder.
5) Extract the templates from the link provided by waxblood to the home folder.

Ultimate++ is now installed on Arch. Wink

PS: I just needed to add using namespace Upp. The templates seems a bit outdated, but no problem there.
Re: Ultimate++ on Arch Linux? [message #14701 is a reply to message #14699] Sun, 09 March 2008 20:07 Go to previous message
waxblood is currently offline  waxblood
I updated the file, know includes more and updated upt files.

David
Previous Topic: small bug on 2444 Uvs on Linux
Next Topic: bugs on Uvs release 2459
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:43:16 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01654 seconds