Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released
Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15015] Tue, 25 March 2008 23:52 Go to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

This release fixes MingGW linking problems and version number.
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15020 is a reply to message #15015] Wed, 26 March 2008 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

I just successfully compiled my project with Upp 2008.1beta2v2 using builder MSC8 but with MSC8x64 I encountered the following error:

C:\upp-beta\uppsrc\Core/Defs.h(499) : error C3861: '_byteswap_int64': identifier not found

// Tom
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15021 is a reply to message #15020] Wed, 26 March 2008 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Ops. A typo.

Place replace with "_byteswap_uint64"

Mirek
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15047 is a reply to message #15021] Wed, 26 March 2008 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
Do you need .deb packages also for 1beta2V2 ?

Max
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15173 is a reply to message #15015] Mon, 07 April 2008 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I'm trying all examples with beta2, and OleCalc is giving me some compilation problems, I will have to dig deeper into them to understand what's going on, but so far I found some disturbing things in other packages as well.

C:\upp\uppsrc\Core\Dli.cpp(138) : warning C4390: ';' : empty controlled statement found; is this the intent?
				if(!missing)
					LLOG(fn << " missing exports:");

I suggest to enclose the LLOG into {} to make sure the "if" will work even when LLOG consists of thing like "Function1(); Function2()".

c:\upp\uppsrc\core\lang.cpp(1088) : warning C4715: 'Upp::GetLanguageInfo' : not all control paths return a value
	LanguageInfo *rinfo = 0;   //line 1072

Shouldn't this be static? Doesn't make sense to me in current version.
And as far as I can tell calling this with lcode != 0 will reach the end of function without "return" statement.

Digging more into OleCalc itself:

The calc_idl.cpp has pending UVS conflict! Very Happy

Under MINGW I get:
C:\upp\uppsrc/Ole/Ctrl/OleCtrl.h:141: error: 'Guid' was not declared in this scope
This is due to uppsrc/Ole/util.h starting with
#if defined(PLATFORM_WIN32) && defined(COMPILER_MSC)
so the Guid class is not defined at all under MINGW.

Should be this "Ole" package compiled only under MSVC? If so, can we add some WHEN MSC into build, so it will not compile under MINGW at all, and into OleCalc/calc.cpp some
#if !defined(COMPILER_MSC)
#error "This example is for MSC only!"
#endif

So anyone trying this with MINGW will get only single error message?

[Updated on: Tue, 08 April 2008 14:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15174 is a reply to message #15015] Mon, 07 April 2008 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
After installation of beta2 in the automatic setup the SDL directory is not pre-filled, although the sdl is installed together with upp into C:\upp\sdl. ("$installdir/sdl")

So, why should user select this manually?
This makes the SDL example to fail during compilation, after setting the SDL directory in Setup/Automatic setup... it works without problem.
(well, it does nasty things to window positions in dual monitor setup, but that's way out of scope from my current testing of compilation and running examples)
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15191 is a reply to message #15015] Tue, 08 April 2008 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
C:\upp\uppsrc\Core\CharSet.cpp:1217: warning: unused variable 'b'

Also the -Wall switch for GCC throws many warnings in Core package, some of them can be easily fixed (like for example:
C:\upp\uppsrc/Core/Parser.h:2: warning: suggest parentheses around && within ||
)
I think it's not a good idea to change the source just ahead of full release, but I think this should be TODO item for next version; to minimize amount of warnings with -Wall switch.

And I did want to add -Wall to GCC compilation options, and figured out there's no way in Build methods setup, except adding it directly to debug/speed/size options, so some "global" options edit box would be nice IMO. (another TODO for next version?)
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15205 is a reply to message #15191] Wed, 09 April 2008 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mr_ped wrote on Tue, 08 April 2008 14:13

I think it's not a good idea to change the source just ahead of full release, but I think this should be TODO item for next version; to minimize amount of warnings with -Wall switch.

And I did want to add -Wall to GCC compilation options, and figured out there's no way in Build methods setup, except adding it directly to debug/speed/size options, so some "global" options edit box would be nice IMO. (another TODO for next version?)

I mostly agree with you. I tried also to build with -Wall and I got tons of warnings... Some code cleanup is needed IMHO.

Max
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15216 is a reply to message #15191] Thu, 10 April 2008 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Tue, 08 April 2008 08:13

Also the -Wall switch for GCC throws many warnings in Core package, some of them can be easily fixed (like for example:

Sorry. I am not gonna to fix this. I am no slave of some idiot who does not remember that && has higher priority than || and thus adds such idiotic warning.

What will be next? What about (x * y) + 10?

The whole purpose of operator priorities is to reduce the number of parenthesis. Do you really think this code is more readable

return ((c >= 'a') && (c <= 'z')) || ((c >= 'A') && (c <= 'Z')) || (c == '_');

??

Mirek
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15218 is a reply to message #15015] Thu, 10 April 2008 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bonami is currently offline  bonami
Experienced Member
winXP sp2 chinese version. default language is simplified chinese.
1. why About still shows it as 2008.1 beta?
2. MinGW compiles nice. MSVC9 fails as below,

d:\work\upp\uppsrc\CtrlLib/CtrlLib.t : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (936). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
d:\work\upp\uppsrc\CtrlLib/CtrlLib.t(112) : error C2001: newline in constant
d:\work\upp\uppsrc\CtrlLib/CtrlLib.t(179) : error C2001: newline in constant
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15221 is a reply to message #15216] Thu, 10 April 2008 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
luzr wrote on Thu, 10 April 2008 02:59

mr_ped wrote on Tue, 08 April 2008 08:13

Sorry. I am not gonna to fix this. I am no slave of some idiot who does not remember that && has higher priority than || and thus adds such idiotic warning.

The whole purpose of operator priorities is to reduce the number of parenthesis. Do you really think this code is more readable

??

Mirek

Actually, I'm one of those idiots, and I prefer exactly that return like you wrote it. Smile
I have 2 reasons to do so... from my historic experience I don't believe compilers (it's not like I hit a bug in them every month or so, actually probably less than 1 bug per year, but it made my faith gone), and for me it's easier to "parse" parentheses in head, than to think about interaction between operators, as the parentheses is one *single* rule, and there are *many* operators. I got so far that in my source I already see ((a * b) + c); Razz Very Happy

edit: but this is the least important "problem" from those I reported. Smile Look rather at that weird LanguageInfo without return issue.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 April 2008 09:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15223 is a reply to message #15221] Thu, 10 April 2008 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

I have 2 reasons to do so... from my historic experience I don't believe compilers (it's not like I hit a bug in them every month or so, actually probably less than 1 bug per year, but it made my faith gone)

this must be a really historical argument Wink
Quote:

, and for me it's easier to "parse" parentheses in head, than to think about interaction between operators, as the parentheses is one *single* rule, and there are *many* operators. I got so far that in my source I already see ((a * b) + c);

ok, that's an argument. However parentheses in every subexpression is wrong imo. I think acceptable form for you and us (not idiots Wink )is
return (c >= 'a' && c <= 'z') || (c >= 'A' && c <= 'Z') || (c == '_');

only to split ors
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15224 is a reply to message #15218] Thu, 10 April 2008 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
bonami wrote on Wed, 09 April 2008 23:13

d:\work\upp\uppsrc\CtrlLib/CtrlLib.t : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (936). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss

Damn it... I know what this bug probably is, but I hoped they would fix it in MSC9...

Well, unfortunately, they did not. MSC still seems to ignore "pragma locale("C")". Means the only possible fix is to switch your codepage.

Well, maybe you could try to put even other locale somewhere. It might help.

Mirek
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15225 is a reply to message #15216] Thu, 10 April 2008 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Thu, 10 April 2008 02:59

Well, operator precedence warnings are (IMO) really not necessary, in particular for usual operator precedence rules.
I can see them useful only in few cases, as ternary operator ?:, but not on && and || which have well known precedence rules.
What I think we should make go away are other warnings :

1- unused variables. Those usually means that old/broken code is still present, or at least that code is still unpolished
2- missing return statement. That can hide nasty bugs too.
3- non virtual destructor on polymorphic classes. Well, in upp code style they may be not necessary, but can still bring bugs if classes are used in non-upp style code.
4- some automatic type conversions. In my experience, they can bring very difficult to find bugs.
5- un-initialized variables
6- some bad uses of references
7- other stuffs that now I don't remember Smile

I don't know which of those are still caught by upp default warning style, but I've seen that compiling it with -wall bring really tons of warnings....

BTW, working on an open source well established library, I just caught a bug just enabling a bit more warnings on it... si I think that making compiler a bit stricter can bring benefits.

Max
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15228 is a reply to message #15015] Thu, 10 April 2008 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

Found a bug in 2008.1beta2:CtrlLib/FileSel.cpp line 1024 causing Desktop entry with international characters in path to be incorrectly shown on directory listing. Please apply the following fix adding FromSystemCharset(..) to the existing line of code:

dir.Add(FromSystemCharset(GetWinRegString("Desktop", "Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Shell Folders", HKEY_CURRENT_USER)));

// Tom
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15230 is a reply to message #15228] Thu, 10 April 2008 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Thu, 10 April 2008 09:52

Hi,

Found a bug in 2008.1beta2:CtrlLib/FileSel.cpp line 1024 causing Desktop entry with international characters in path to be incorrectly shown on directory listing. Please apply the following fix adding FromSystemCharset(..) to the existing line of code:

dir.Add(FromSystemCharset(GetWinRegString("Desktop", "Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Shell Folders", HKEY_CURRENT_USER)));

// Tom

Thank you!

Mirek
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #15239 is a reply to message #15224] Fri, 11 April 2008 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bonami is currently offline  bonami
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Thu, 10 April 2008 20:09

bonami wrote on Wed, 09 April 2008 23:13

Damn it... I know what this bug probably is, but I hoped they would fix it in MSC9...

Well, unfortunately, they did not. MSC still seems to ignore "pragma locale("C")". Means the only possible fix is to switch your codepage.

Well, maybe you could try to put even other locale somewhere. It might help.

Mirek

i did not quite understand "put even other locale somewhere". so i changed my Windows' regional options to US-EN as default. what i cannot change is only my Win's Chinese version.
now when it compiles as below, a cl.exe failure pops out by Windows,

----- CtrlLib ( GUI MT MSC9 DEBUG BLITZ WIN32 MSC ) (1 / 9)
----- CtrlCore ( GUI MT MSC9 DEBUG BLITZ WIN32 MSC ) (2 / 9)
----- RichText ( GUI MT MSC9 DEBUG BLITZ WIN32 MSC ) (3 / 9)
----- Draw ( GUI MT MSC9 DEBUG BLITZ WIN32 MSC ) (4 / 9)
----- plugin/bmp ( GUI MT MSC9 DEBUG BLITZ WIN32 MSC ) (5 / 9)
BLITZ: Bmp.cpp BmpWrite.cpp Icon.cpp
----- Core ( GUI MT MSC9 DEBUG BLITZ WIN32 MSC ) (6 / 9)
BLITZ: Cpu.cpp Mt.cpp lheap.cpp heap.cpp heapdbg.cpp String.cpp WString.cpp StrUtil.cpp CharSet.cpp P
ath.cpp NetNode.cpp App.cpp Stream.cpp BlockStream.cpp Log.cpp Debug.cpp Util.cpp mathutil.cpp Vc
ont.cpp Hash.cpp Callback.cpp TimeDate.cpp Value.cpp Format.cpp Convert.cpp Color.cpp Gtypes.cpp
t.cpp Lang.cpp parser.cpp XML.cpp Xmlize.cpp Uuid.cpp Ptr.cpp z.cpp Topic.cpp CoWork.cpp Dli.cpp
Win32Util.cpp
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #16228 is a reply to message #15015] Tue, 03 June 2008 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
How far are we from 2008 release? I think the progress with valgrind/mingw/allocator was too big to go for RC straight away from beta2, so I suggest beta3. If there's any bigger change pending, it should be done ahead of b3, as it will be changed a lot anyway. Smile
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #16233 is a reply to message #16228] Tue, 03 June 2008 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Tue, 03 June 2008 04:21

How far are we from 2008 release? I think the progress with valgrind/mingw/allocator was too big to go for RC straight away from beta2, so I suggest beta3. If there's any bigger change pending, it should be done ahead of b3, as it will be changed a lot anyway. Smile

I believe we are now really close. I have just finished the very last feature...

Sorry for delays, some of them were maybe a little bit irresponsible. Most of them were however caused by new ubuntu....

Mirek
Re: Upp 2008.1beta2 v2 released [message #16238 is a reply to message #16233] Tue, 03 June 2008 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
could you apply the patch at the end of this topic before release:
Previous Topic: Scripts to build debian packages added to SVN repository
Next Topic: SVN Restructuration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:41:10 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02305 seconds