Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ MT-multithreading and servers » MT on Linux?
MT on Linux? [message #14762] Thu, 13 March 2008 16:08 Go to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
I was just wondering whther anyone is using multi-threading on Linux, as I'm having a variety of problems with it. Basically I have two programs with a client/server relationship. Both are Upp, server is a console app and the client has a GUI.

This works perfectly on Windows, but on Linux (KDE) I'm seeing the following problems:
1- Running a single thread in the server causes many (10+) seemingly identical processes to be added (as visible on the task-manager equivalent). Why?
2- I still see the issue that Chameleon only works in MT mode.
3- The GUI app has heap leaks that only appear when compiled with MT. I have tested this on a literally empty program (just GUI_APP_MAIN { }) and they still occur. This is particularly annoying because of (2), and I suspect these issues may be related.
4- It's very easy to make the GUI lock-up. I'm doing this:
Main window with progress bar
Thread doing something across the network
Thread updates the progress bar (via callback)
On network error the thread trigger a callback that does the following, then exits the thread:
void OnError(String txt)
{
   Exclamation(txt);
   wnd.Close();
   SetExitCode(2);
}

The main window locks up after the Close call.

The only similar problem I had with Win32 was that it's possible to trigger the ASSERT(!IsPainting()) in Ctrl::WindowProc if you call Exclamation at the wrong time, and I can't see way to do any sort of lock since IsPainting is private.

I know I should submit some test cases, but I'm going to try installing a native GTK distribution first and see if the problems persist. Am I the only one having these problems?

Cheers,
James

[Updated on: Thu, 13 March 2008 16:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: MT on Linux? [message #14778 is a reply to message #14762] Fri, 14 March 2008 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mrjt wrote on Thu, 13 March 2008 11:08

3- The GUI app has heap leaks that only appear when compiled with MT. I have tested this on a literally empty program (just GUI_APP_MAIN { }) and they still occur. This is particularly annoying because of (2), and I suspect these issues may be related.

This would happen if you would use posix threads directly, without Upp::Thread... If something deep under does pthread_..., it is the culprit.

How are these leaks reported?

Also, you might try to compile with USEMALLOC.

Mirek
Re: MT on Linux? [message #14779 is a reply to message #14778] Fri, 14 March 2008 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Hm, actually looks like pthread_cleanup_push could be very helpful here.... Smile

Mirek
Re: MT on Linux? [message #15407 is a reply to message #14762] Mon, 21 April 2008 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nixnixnix is currently offline  nixnixnix
Hey James, no you're not the only one. My app runs for a while with one thread for the interface and one thread doing the work of optimising my windfarm then after maybe 20 iterations it will completely lock up for no discernible reason. I am using Ubuntu 7.10.

I also got the MessageBox error in Win32 when calling PromptOK from a thread that I've made. However, I figured this was reasonable behaviour and so now I call all my message boxes from the main thread which I think is better (Just IMO)

Nick
Re: MT on Linux? [message #15421 is a reply to message #15407] Wed, 23 April 2008 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
nixnixnix wrote on Mon, 21 April 2008 17:15

Hey James, no you're not the only one. My app runs for a while with one thread for the interface and one thread doing the work of optimising my windfarm then after maybe 20 iterations it will completely lock up for no discernible reason. I am using Ubuntu 7.10.

I also got the MessageBox error in Win32 when calling PromptOK from a thread that I've made. However, I figured this was reasonable behaviour and so now I call all my message boxes from the main thread which I think is better (Just IMO)

Nick

There was a very fatal (and extremely stupid too) error in Linux/MT recently fixed.

Quick patch:

inline int  AtomicXAdd(volatile Atomic& t, int incr)  { using namespace __gnu_cxx; return __exchange_and_add(&t, incr); }

inline int  AtomicInc(volatile Atomic& t)             { return AtomicXAdd(t, +1) + 1; }
inline int  AtomicDec(volatile Atomic& t)             { return AtomicXAdd(t, -1) - 1; }

Please try, I believe this will help. I have encountered this problem while testing new "CoWork" reference example.

Without this fix, example crashes within 30s. With it, it was running 24 hours until I finally closed it.

Sorry for this problem, it was stupid mistake. MT is sometimes tricky Smile

(And of course, it is not unlikely there are more problems like this one... but definitely, this will fix a lot of issues).

Mirek
Re: MT on Linux? [message #15429 is a reply to message #14762] Wed, 23 April 2008 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cocob is currently offline  cocob
Experienced Member
I have some serious problems with Linux and MT. I will try it this evening.

Thanks to you
Re: MT on Linux? [message #15435 is a reply to message #15421] Wed, 23 April 2008 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I patched over lines 117 to 119 of MT.h but still my app locks up after about 50 iterations Sad

The task manager in Ubuntu says it is sleeping and there is no CPU activity.

Nick
Re: MT on Linux? [message #15439 is a reply to message #15435] Wed, 23 April 2008 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
nixnixnix wrote on Wed, 23 April 2008 12:28

I patched over lines 117 to 119 of MT.h but still my app locks up after about 50 iterations Sad

The task manager in Ubuntu says it is sleeping and there is no CPU activity.

Nick

Deadlock?

Mirek
Re: MT on Linux? [message #15441 is a reply to message #15439] Wed, 23 April 2008 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess it could be but I am not using Mutex anywhere in my code. In the case I am describing I am only using MT to stop the main GUI thread from locking up so it can repaint and respond to user actions and it all works fine in Win32.

Nick

[Updated on: Wed, 23 April 2008 21:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: MT on Linux? [message #15449 is a reply to message #15441] Thu, 24 April 2008 05:10 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
nixnixnix wrote on Wed, 23 April 2008 15:26

I guess it could be but I am not using Mutex anywhere in my code. In the case I am describing I am only using MT to stop the main GUI thread from locking up so it can repaint and respond to user actions and it all works fine in Win32.

Nick

Stop the main GUI thread? How do you test for it? How do you stop? Hard to imagine:)

Mirek
Previous Topic: CoWork buggy!?
Next Topic: How to send broadcast
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:35:40 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01822 seconds