Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Ubuntu 8.04
Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15481] Fri, 25 April 2008 22:26 Go to next message
bytefield is currently offline  bytefield
Experienced Member
Have you tried Ubuntu 8.04?
After 2 hours of downloads and updates (~upgrade) (due to their servers overloading), finally I have it installed.
At startup I've got some reports about few applications crashing (u++ work out of box Smile ), even with new themes Chameleon is doing his excellent job.
What you get with this version?
- a fresh Firefox 3 Beta 5 version (+ incompatibility with some plug-ins ex. del.icio.us)
- some new wallpapers
- Clearlooks theme changed a bit
- Human theme expanded with 2 new styles: Human-Clearlooks and Human-Murines
- some new (maybe not useful) programs, installed by default
- latest version of Gnome, more secure(with PolicyKit) and stable (don't forget initial applications crashes Laughing )

From programmer perspective you get nothing special, unless you install Ultimate++ Smile .
Happy Ubuntu!

cdabbd745f1234c2751ee1f932d1dd75
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15483 is a reply to message #15481] Sat, 26 April 2008 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I was testing a bit Kubuntu8.04, also with KDE4.

I still didn't migrate yet, because I'm connected to Internet trough some pre-historical USB ADSL modem for which I have to compile driver, and the newer version of kernels and "improved" drivers didn't work as good as the old one I did work out in Kubu6.10. So I never managed to get away from original 6.10 install, where "everything just works" and I'm used to it.

But as the support will end for 6.10, I will have probably to upgrade finally. 8.04 with KDE4 looks like nice fancy toy for hardcore geeks and KDE4 apps developers, not very usable as ordinary desktop yet.
The classic KDE3 looks very tempting and worked quit ok during tests (still I hit several problems, but nothing what would stop *me* ... I feel just sorry for non-tech users trying it out).
And I did cancel the ADSL line anyway (if you live in Czech, you probably know which $*#@$&#@ company I'm parting with, yes, it's 2 letters), within 3 weeks I will hopefully not need that damn modem ever again, so another reason to not upgrade will be gone. (Although I'm not sure when I will be again online from home, and using linux without Internet is ... well ... sort of difficult Smile ... and LIMITED, that's the right word)

I'm planning to test U++ on kubu8.04 too, but there's always something slowing me down or more important to solve. Sad
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15501 is a reply to message #15483] Sat, 26 April 2008 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
After spending a while with last version, my advice is not to upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04, better install a fresh copy of 8.04, in that way you have a full working system(without the errors which I've meet until now).

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15502 is a reply to message #15501] Sat, 26 April 2008 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
The very first problem I've met with 8.04 is that it couldn't see a hard-drive and won't boot because of that. I recall having the same problem with Gentoo. After spending several hours configuring Gentoo (I've managed to install it on my hardware) I've decided to choose an easy way and went with Ubuntu. Now I'm thinking I'd better stayed with Gentoo.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15505 is a reply to message #15501] Sun, 27 April 2008 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mobilehunter is currently offline  mobilehunter
bytefield wrote on Sun, 27 April 2008 00:48

After spending a while with last version, my advice is not to upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04, better install a fresh copy of 8.04, in that way you have a full working system(without the errors which I've meet until now).

I agree with this. I got problem for failed packages to be replaced with the new one.

But i'm lucky, since i can boot and use it as normal user (sudo not working, but can be solved using live cd and fixing /etc/hosts)
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15518 is a reply to message #15505] Sun, 27 April 2008 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
Uhmmm... I'm just downloading DVD version to upgrade... which problem did you find ?? I usually like to have the latest distro installed....

Max

EDIT : And I'd hate to have to wipe my 7.10 and reinstall 8.04 from scratch.... we aren't using Micro$oft, aren't we ? Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 27 April 2008 23:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15520 is a reply to message #15518] Mon, 28 April 2008 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
mdelfede wrote on Mon, 28 April 2008 00:49

Uhmmm... I'm just downloading DVD version to upgrade... which problem did you find ?? I usually like to have the latest distro installed....

Max

EDIT : And I'd hate to have to wipe my 7.10 and reinstall 8.04 from scratch.... we aren't using Micro$oft, aren't we ? Smile

Me too like to have latest distro installed.
I've upgraded directly from their servers.
Problems I've meet:
After upgrade and restart the system I've received warning messages about applications crashes;

My second hard-disk didn't get mounted automatically because in /etc/fstab it was remaining at /dev/hdb1 and system recognized it as /dev/sdb1(if i remember well);

Some of cd and dvd disks couldn't be mounted(i don't know the reason, but them gave me errors);

Even usb flash disk was unable to umount until i've removed it directly from root account (sudo) (mention: usb disk was plugged in all the time on upgrade process);

I don't know if DVD version surfer from same problems, you should try and give some feedbacks. Maybe my system was the problem, i don't know. Now i'm back to 7.10 version and maybe i can wait until 8.10 come out or change the distribution.

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15526 is a reply to message #15520] Mon, 28 April 2008 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Well, I'm trying right now... Hope it'll go better than in your case Smile
OTOH, I'll upgrade first the 64 bit version, so I'll have the old working 32 bit in case of problems.

Max

EDIT :

Well, what must I say ? The upgrade where perfect, so far I've tested 50% of stuffs and all it's ok.
Hardware was 100% ok, the only message that appeared was something about sensor applet (the one that monitors cpu and gpu temperature), in 7.10 was incomplete (just cpu temperature) and installed by hand, 8.04 brought the complete one (gpu temperature too) and told me that previous was incompatible. That's all !

The upgrade was even smoother than from 7.04 to 7.10, far less questions asked during process (well, just 1 of it, if I wanted to keep samba configs or replace it).
If you think that I'm using an HP9695 notebook (on which I had to fiddle many hardware stuffs to get 7.10 completely working), that's an incredible result.... Thanx ubuntu again !

Max

[Updated on: Mon, 28 April 2008 10:55]

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15538 is a reply to message #15526] Mon, 28 April 2008 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gertwin is currently offline  gertwin
Promising Member
A fresh install of 8.04 gives me no problems, no errors or crashes.

The only problems i have is with gcc/g++.
Compilation of 2007.1 from the sources gives an (easy to fix) compile error.
Compilation of the latest version from svn gives an very unstable ide as result, it will not even fully start.

The provided 32 bits package from bytefield works well on 8.04, until now no problems.
Maybe because of the g++ version shipped with 8.04: gcc version 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7).

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15539 is a reply to message #15538] Mon, 28 April 2008 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Well, a small problem : Nautilus doesn't browse well windows shares that require password.... a problem in gvfs.
But, as usual, somebody solved already the issue Smile

Second stuff, on 64 bit the flash plugin (previously installed by hand...) doesn't work... but there's an installer that does all automagically and better now Smile

The rest seems perfect!

Max
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15541 is a reply to message #15539] Mon, 28 April 2008 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mdelfede wrote on Mon, 28 April 2008 15:48

The rest seems perfect!

You are lucky. I couldn't even boot from Ubuntu 8.04 CD :-/

Regards,
Novo
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15544 is a reply to message #15541] Mon, 28 April 2008 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Novo wrote on Mon, 28 April 2008 23:46

The rest seems perfect!

Neither me. When I've tried to install Ubuntu from cd, it booted showing the menu and after that it showed a shell and nothing more.

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15546 is a reply to message #15544] Mon, 28 April 2008 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
bytefield wrote on Mon, 28 April 2008 22:59

Novo wrote on Mon, 28 April 2008 23:46

The rest seems perfect!

Neither me. When I've tried to install Ubuntu from cd, it booted showing the menu and after that it showed a shell and nothing more.

Uhmmm... that's weird... BTW, did you use the normal or the alternate cd ? Or dvd ? 32 bit or 64 bit ?

Max
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15547 is a reply to message #15546] Mon, 28 April 2008 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Normal CD, 32 bits.

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15548 is a reply to message #15547] Mon, 28 April 2008 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
bytefield wrote on Mon, 28 April 2008 23:32

Normal CD, 32 bits.

Uhmmmm... on 7.10 there was a bug with splash screen, that slowed boot for minutes, with black screen... maybe that's the problem.
Or, some bluetooth adapters are known to have problems...
I just did an upgrade from 7.10, but I can test booting from cd as well.

BTW, the easiest way to solve problems is to burn and use the alternate cd, or even better the dvd version.... You'll get many more 'safe boot' options.

Max

EDIT: if you want, here my icq number... three-nine-nine-five-four-three

[Updated on: Mon, 28 April 2008 23:56]

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15549 is a reply to message #15548] Tue, 29 April 2008 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Normal CD. x86_64.

I've already installed 7.10 back.

Regards,
Novo
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15551 is a reply to message #15549] Tue, 29 April 2008 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Novo wrote on Tue, 29 April 2008 00:04

Normal CD. x86_64.

I've already installed 7.10 back.

The best if you've problems is to try with DVD version... I got some problems on 7.10 (64 bit, the 32 bit was fine) that were solved with dvd
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15571 is a reply to message #15551] Tue, 29 April 2008 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
There is the option to install from usb disk. See here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick
I had problems with booting to the CD with a certain motherboard (Sapphire with ATI chipset), and the problem was fixed by tweaking the bios USB settings.

I would imagine that this upgrade would be much more difficult due to the new sound system (Pulse Audio) and security system (Policy Kit). I haven't had good experiences with the upgrade procedure, probably due to the amount of customization I end up doing. Fresh installs usually run much smoother for me.
Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15592 is a reply to message #15571] Tue, 29 April 2008 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
It can't be possible, when I run Ubuntu in VirtualBox it work ok but when I want to use it on real machine it doesn't work.
Problems follow (note: "..." means more lines skipped):
After choosing to boot from cd/dvd (I've tried booth solutions), I've selected installer language and pressed enter to run/install Ubuntu. Splash animation appear for few seconds, the it disappear and let me alone with a shell.
Quote:

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs)

I've tried to start the kernel with kinit command, and here is part of his output:
Quote:

kinit
argc == 8
argv[0]: "kinit"
argv[7]: "--"
argc == 3
argv[0]: "IP-Config"
argv[2]: "Linux kinit"
IP-Config: no devices to config
kinit: do_mount
kinit: root_dev = dev(0,0)
kinit: failed to identify filesystem /dev/root, trying all
kinit: failed to mount /dev/root on /root with type cramfs
kinit: Cannot open root device(0,0)
kinit: init not found!

Doing a directory listing I seen casper.log, which contain the following:
Quote:

/init: /init: 1: Cannot open /dev/sda : No such file
stdin: error 0
stdin: I/O error
stdin: I/O error
Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

Well error about init is not normally, init file exist and here is his output when I called it:
Quote:

Loading, please wait...
mount: Mounting none on /sys failed: Device or resurce busy
udevd[6652]: init_udev_sockd: bind failed: Address already in use
error initializing udevd socked
udevd[6652]: main: error initializing udevd socket

Well after failed to install/upgrade from dvd I've rebooted my system and tried to upgrade directly from it. So I've opened a console, entered in /media/cdrom and called update script
Quote:

"cdromupgrade", and here are his error outputs:
tar: ./dists/stable/main/dist-upgrader/binary-all//hardy.tar.gz : Cannot open: No such file
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous error
Could not find the upgrade application in the archive, exiting

After checking cdromupgrade script
Quote:

#!/bin/sh
#
# "cdromupgrade" is a shell script wrapper around the dist-upgrader
# to make it possible to put it onto the top-level dir of a CD and
# run it from there
#
# Not that useful unfortunately when the CD is mounted "noexec".
#
# WARNING: make sure to call it with a absolute path!
# (e.g. /cdrom/cdromugprade)

# the codename is AUTO-GENERATED from the build-host relase codename
CODENAME=hardy
UPGRADER_DIR=dists/stable/main/dist-upgrader/binary-all/

cddirname="${0%\/*}"
fullpath="$cddirname/$UPGRADER_DIR"

# extrace the tar to a TMPDIR and run it from there
if [ ! -f "$fullpath/$CODENAME.tar.gz" ]; then
echo "Could not find the upgrade application archive, exiting"
exit 1
fi

TMPDIR=$(mktemp -d)
cd $TMPDIR
tar xzf "$fullpath/$CODENAME.tar.gz"
if [ ! -x $TMPDIR/$CODENAME ]; then
echo "Could not find the upgrade application in the archive, exiting"
exit 1
fi
$TMPDIR/$CODENAME --cdrom "$cddirname"

I've found the solution, the line
UPGRADER_DIR=dists/stable/main/dist-upgrader/binary-all/

should be
UPGRADER_DIR=dists/stable/main/dist-upgrader/binary-all #without last slash 

But how to modify it and put again on dvd?
Hope you don't get bored until now Smile.
Should I post it on Ubuntu forums?

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 [message #15595 is a reply to message #15481] Wed, 30 April 2008 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Definitely post it either at their forums or add a bug into launchpad. I wonder if it will get some attention, as most of my bugs get rarely attention, some are holding there now more than 1.5 year. Very Happy
Previous Topic: MPL
Next Topic: U++ versioning
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:27:23 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02359 seconds