Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » Understanding pick behaviour and containers
Understanding pick behaviour and containers [message #15627] Thu, 01 May 2008 21:09 Go to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

Let`s say, one needs to have hashed container of some complex objects. OK, taking Index and putting some moveable and optional deep copy flavour to objects contained:

class AAA : public VectorMap<int, int>, public MoveableAndDeepCopyOption<AAA>
{
public:
	AAA() {}
	AAA(const AAA &, int) {}
	unsigned GetHashValue() const {return 0;/*proxy here*/;}
};

CONSOLE_APP_MAIN
{
	AAA a;
	a.Add(10,1);
	AAA a2(a);
	Cout() << a2.GetCount();

Index<AAA> ai;
	ai.Add(a2);
	Cout() << " / " << ai[0].GetCount();
}

Output gives us 1 / 0. First value is OK, since first pick operation succeeded. Second one is zero, which is not right IMO: I added object to Index and it didn`t appear in the container.
When we talk about Vector or even VectorMap - it`s OK, we have AddPick() there, which works in this case.

So, why add operation didn`t work and how to solve this?

P.S. Why (pick_ != const) for MSC compiler?

[Updated on: Thu, 01 May 2008 21:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Understanding pick behaviour and containers [message #15635 is a reply to message #15627] Thu, 01 May 2008 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Bug in docs (now fixed). Keys have to be Moveable and have deep copy constructor and assignment.

I sugguest this fix:

class AAA : public WithDeedCopy< VectorMap<int, int> >

Mirek
Re: Understanding pick behaviour and containers [message #15650 is a reply to message #15635] Fri, 02 May 2008 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Mirek, also I want to suggest add
int AIndex::Find[Prev,Next,Last](unsigned _hash)
functions. What for?
Let`s see typical situation: I have a number of objects and I want them to be in quick access. For a number of reasons, Map doesn`t fit: i.e. key value is a natural part of internal object structure and cannot be taken out as different key object (it is possible but not good solution). Of course your hashed Index container is an ideal solution here.
Of course in some situations I want object to be found quickly and I can compute hash. But all I have in AIndex is AIndex::Find[Prev,Next,Last](const T& x, unsigned _hash)
But I don`t need this x variable, I just want object(s) who`s hash value is _hash. Also this function could make testing (are any objects with such hash value) easier.

[Updated on: Fri, 02 May 2008 08:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Understanding pick behaviour and containers [message #15657 is a reply to message #15650] Fri, 02 May 2008 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Fri, 02 May 2008 02:27

Mirek, also I want to suggest add
int AIndex::Find[Prev,Next,Last](unsigned _hash)
functions. What for?
Let`s see typical situation: I have a number of objects and I want them to be in quick access. For a number of reasons, Map doesn`t fit: i.e. key value is a natural part of internal object structure and cannot be taken out as different key object (it is possible but not good solution). Of course your hashed Index container is an ideal solution here.
Of course in some situations I want object to be found quickly and I can compute hash. But all I have in AIndex is AIndex::Find[Prev,Next,Last](const T& x, unsigned _hash)
But I don`t need this x variable, I just want object(s) who`s hash value is _hash. Also this function could make testing (are any objects with such hash value) easier.

Maybe you might want to use "HashBase" directly?

Mirek
Re: Understanding pick behaviour and containers [message #15658 is a reply to message #15657] Fri, 02 May 2008 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

HshBase seems too low-level class since I`d have to duplicate all the AIndex functionality. The only thing is needed - to make "gate" Find(unsigned) function to the one in protected member HashBase.
Re: Understanding pick behaviour and containers [message #15703 is a reply to message #15658] Mon, 05 May 2008 12:08 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
Sorry, but I am not sure I get it.

I thought the problem is that you cannot extract the key from the structure (e.g. to use parallel Index).

Anyway, in that case I think the best you can achieve is to have hashvalue of key and do the testing yourself. I do not see what Index functionality you can use in this case.

Maybe some small code-snippet would enlight me Smile

Mirek
Previous Topic: Convenient work with options/properties
Next Topic: cout, cin etc. question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 11:51:51 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01018 seconds