Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » An idea for heap-checking stuffs
An idea for heap-checking stuffs [message #15678] Sun, 04 May 2008 12:06 Go to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
After last bug (still unresolved) of memory corruption on upp compiled under ubuntu hardy, I was thinking about some heap checking stuffs that IMO could be incorporated in upp.
So, the idea (I don't know if somebody already did it!) :

1) Set up a new building flag, for example HEAPCHECK.
2) when code is compiled with HEAPCHECK, do the following:

3) On each dynamic allocation, reserve some more bytes, some before and some after returned pointer, and fill with known data.
For example, if I need 10 bytes, I could reserve 20, like this :
DDDDDAAAAAAAAAADDDDD
     |
returned pointer here

DDDDD represent the 'spare' allocated bytes, filled with known values.

4) Keep a linked list not only for freed data but also for allocated data. I know that this can slow down much the code, but.... it's just when needed for debugging.

5) create 2 functions, FreeCheck() and UsedCheck() that scans the free and used allocated space and checks for values on DDDDD fileds.

6) allow the ability to switch on/off the heap checking on each allocation/free of memory. That one would slow down much the code, but would also allow to find corruptions just a little after they happens.

Up to here, not much work in upp code, IMHO.
The best would also be to add

7) Add container's methods entry/exit pointer checking. So, for each method called for a container, check container's pointers on method entry and exit. That one would catch 99% of pointer misusage as soon as it happens. Of course, that last one would mean to add a lot of (conditional) code to upp core.

Ciao

Max
Re: An idea for heap-checking stuffs [message #15688 is a reply to message #15678] Sun, 04 May 2008 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Sun, 04 May 2008 06:06

After last bug (still unresolved) of memory corruption on upp compiled under ubuntu hardy, I was thinking about some heap checking stuffs that IMO could be incorporated in upp.

Good idea to actviate heap checks in release mode.

Quote:

3) On each dynamic allocation, reserve some more bytes, some before and some after returned pointer, and fill with known data.
DDDDDAAAAAAAAAADDDDD
     |
returned pointer here

This is already done (in debug mode).

Quote:

4) Keep a linked list not only for freed data but also for allocated data. I know that this can slow down much the code, but.... it's just when needed for debugging.

Yep, this is also done Wink BTW, I am using these links as sentinels. And it is also used to check leaks.

Quote:

5) create 2 functions, FreeCheck() and UsedCheck() that scans the free and used allocated space and checks for values on DDDDD fileds.

MemoryCheck.

Quote:

6) allow the ability to switch on/off the heap checking on each allocation/free of memory. That one would slow down much the code, but would also allow to find corruptions just a little after they happens.

Each allocation has serial number. You can set breakpoint to this serial number to catch the very allocation that gets corrupted later.

Quote:

Indeed. Only MEMORYCHECK in release.

Quote:

7) Add container's methods entry/exit pointer checking. So, for each method called for a container, check container's pointers on method entry and exit. That one would catch 99% of pointer misusage as soon as it happens. Of course, that last one would mean to add a lot of (conditional) code to upp core.

That is a good idea. A lot of code involved thought ("each method" Smile

Mirek
Re: An idea for heap-checking stuffs [message #15690 is a reply to message #15688] Sun, 04 May 2008 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Sun, 04 May 2008 18:23

Quote:

DDDDDAAAAAAAAAADDDDD
     |
returned pointer here

Yes ? before and after the returned pointer ? that's good !

Quote:

Quote:

Yep, this is also done Wink BTW, I am using these links as sentinels. And it is also used to check leaks.

Quote:

MemoryCheck.

mhhhh... as far as I could see, MemoryCheck does a check on freed blocks, and only on small allocs... or am I wrong ?
Does it check also allocated blocks integrity ?

Quote:

Quote:

Each allocation has serial number. You can set breakpoint to this serial number to catch the very allocation that gets corrupted later.

That's very interesting... but how do you see the serial number and how do you set breakpoint ?

Quote:

Quote:

Indeed. Only MEMORYCHECK in release.

Quote:

That is a good idea. A lot of code involved thought ("each method" Smile

Mirek

yep, but that could be done slowly... I could help for some classes. No hurry on that one Smile

Max
Re: An idea for heap-checking stuffs [message #15692 is a reply to message #15690] Sun, 04 May 2008 20:13 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Sun, 04 May 2008 12:45

luzr wrote on Sun, 04 May 2008 18:23

Quote:

DDDDDAAAAAAAAAADDDDD
     |
returned pointer here

Yes ? before and after the returned pointer ? that's good !

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MemoryCheck.

mhhhh... as far as I could see, MemoryCheck does a check on freed blocks, and only on small allocs... or am I wrong ?
Does it check also allocated blocks integrity ?

Sorry, it is in fact "MemoryCheckDebug". It calls basic MemoryCheck and then goes through the list.

Quote:

That's very interesting... but how do you see the serial number and how do you set breakpoint ?

You should see breakpoint serial number in the .log.

You can set it using "MemoryBreakpoint" function or using --memory_breakpoint commandline option. However, this is not very helpful in our Ubuntu problem as both can get active only AppInit...

Mirek
Previous Topic: rvalue vs Pick
Next Topic: If we are going to do debugger in Linux
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 11:42:37 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03296 seconds