Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Upp 2008.1rc1 released
Upp 2008.1rc1 released [message #16385] Thu, 12 June 2008 09:17 Go to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Finally we've reached rc. Changelog since last beta:

• GCC updated from 4.3.0 to 4.3.0.20080502
  • stable sort was reimplemented; merge-sort implementation was replaced by adaptor to standard Sort
  • Stream::GetLine was optimized to be about 2x faster
  • formatted stream output is not longer supported (Begin/End)
  • Remove(int i, count) was added to Index, VectorMap, ArrayIndex and ArrayMap
  • added new RWMutex
  • added bool Mutex::TryLock() (Win95/98/ME copatability)
  • fixed fatal problem in Linux/MT AtomicInc/AtomicDec
  • added new CoWork reference example
  • TheIDE can now runs console application in terminal (Linux)
  • added "Fixed flags" option in Build methods
  • added two new diagnostic flags HEAPDBG, CHECKINIT
  • added PROFILEMT flag which activates mutex profiling
  • sources fixed not to produce harmless warnings about #pragma "BLITZ_APPROVE".
  • New allocator was implemented (non-locking for in-thread allocations, false sharing - cacheline contention - is no more a problem, faster in single-threaded apps)
  • TheIDE builders now recognize SSE2 flag in mainconfig
  • added pcx plugin
  • BiVector optimized, now about 5x faster
  • fixed MySQL to work in 64-bit linux
  • Valgrind support in TheIDE
  • File selector displays hidden items ant its icons in different color
  • Assist, Goto, File selector now respects system font height
  • Compiz-related improvement - annoying "black flash" with Compiz active when opening a new window or zooming it was fixed
  • U++ now reads text rendering info from GTK
  • added "File index" in code editor
  • many fixes to GridCtrl

Re: Upp 2008.1rc1 released [message #16387 is a reply to message #16385] Thu, 12 June 2008 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

unodgs wrote on Thu, 12 June 2008 10:17

• stable sort was reimplemented; merge-sort implementation was replaced by adaptor to standard Sort
  • added new RWMutex
  • New allocator was implemented (non-locking for in-thread allocations, false sharing - cacheline contention - is no more a problem, faster in single-threaded apps)
  • added pcx plugin
  • Compiz-related improvement - annoying "black flash" with Compiz active when opening a new window or zooming it was fixed
  • many fixes to GridCtrl

Thank you for update. In future I Include in svn builds!
Re: Upp 2008.1rc1 released [message #16388 is a reply to message #16387] Thu, 12 June 2008 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masu is currently offline  masu
Hi,

I have attached both Makefiles I would like to include in source package for final release (only for Linux/FreeBSD builds). I took a pragmatic approach to make it as easy as possible this time since I do not have much time (I leave this Saturday for 4 weeks).

I have taken the Makefile provided with last release and newly generated ide Makefile. A new variable was added to root Makefile to define host type (only LINUX and FreeBSD at the moment).

Simply extract the archive into rc1 root directory should give you two files:

./Makefile
./uppsrc/ide/Makefile

Can somebody check building on Linux using provided Makefiles?
Are the install paths ok given in root Makefile?

Regards,
Matthias
Re: Upp 2008.1rc1 released [message #16389 is a reply to message #16388] Thu, 12 June 2008 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Thanks Masu. I will add them in final.
Re: Upp 2008.1rc1 released [message #16392 is a reply to message #16389] Thu, 12 June 2008 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
There has been some sort of change recently to WndProc (I believe) that broke my Docking package. I don't usually run my applications against the SVN version so I didn't notice.

This means that the Bazaar nest in this release contains a broken version of the Docking package. I've fixed the bug and committed it to the svn.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 June 2008 16:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upp 2008.1rc1 released [message #16626 is a reply to message #16388] Thu, 03 July 2008 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riri is currently offline  riri
Promising Member
Hi,

I tested your Makefiles on an Ubuntu 8.4 (hardy) i386 system (in fact a 32bits system on an amd64 cpu, no matter Razz) with gcc-4.2 (despite the announced internal bug). I first had some problems I explain below to have things compiled, but at the end, I've a link error.

So, the problems Smile :
Due to the content of the Makefiles, you assume a GNU Make no ? (because of MACRO ?= value constructs). In this case, it would be good to detect some things with a $(shell ) macro expansion, such as the HOSTTYPE, and above all compiler and linker flags for various libraries (most them them use pkgconfig, which is handy). If you want, I can make some modifications in this way and give you a patch.

The compile errors were for almost of them due to missing compiler flags.
  • HOSTTYPE is defined in the root makefile, which starts $(MAKE) with -f uppsrc/ide/Makefile. A better solution (if GNU make is assumed) is to use $(MAKE) -C uppsrc/ide, because makeflags are transferred to the called make. To have a HOSTTYPE defined, I exported an environment variable, overriding the root Makefile's one.
  • in uppsrc/ide/Makefile, LOCALBASE defaults to /usr/local. On most system, the distribution library packages are used, and the path is /usr, but this's not important, because of next point Smile
  • On my Ubuntu, the glibconfig.h is not in /usr/include/glib-2.0 but under /usr/lib/glib-2.0/include (don't ask me why, I installed the ubuntu's deb via apt). The same for gdkconfig.h in /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include. This problem can be solved using pkgconfig to retrieve libraries flags automagically.
  • After having made the needed modifications in the CINC macro of the Makefile, all compilations went ok Smile, but the final link reported an error. Maybe due to a missing link flag, or incompatibility, I don't know: "/usr/lib/libcairo.so: undefined reference to `pixman_format_supported_destination'". An idea ?

Despite theses problems, It's cool to have Makefiles to build an initial ide, good work Wink
Re: Upp 2008.1rc1 released [message #16842 is a reply to message #16626] Wed, 16 July 2008 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
masu is currently offline  masu
Thank you for testing.

Sorry, I have not answered earlier, I had vacations Smile.

I had to generate the Makefile with modifications quite quickly before my holidays, so they are not perfect, but should serve as a kind of minimal starting point on *NIX systems.

For example I think of getting system information from 'uname' output and react on the result accordingly concerning library locations etc.

Thank you for your hints, I will take them into account ...

A Google search on the link error ( searched for pixman_format_supported_destination) revealed a library version problem maybe you are in the same situation.

Matthias
Re: Upp 2008.1rc1 released [message #17069 is a reply to message #16385] Sun, 27 July 2008 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
unodgs wrote on Thu, 12 June 2008 09:17

• added new RWMutex
  • added pcx plugin
  • many fixes to GridCtrl

Hello,

I daily follow the forum (most without to login) and perhaps I missed some post. My silly and boring question is:
why the name of the final release will be 2008.1? (if I remember 1 being January).
I would expect 2008.X with X near 7. If I were unawere of U++ after seeing the announce "released new Upp 2008.1" after discovering the 1 is jabuary I could think that all the stuff were freezed back to january. It seems the release born already old. Instead, if I am not missed many posts, it includes all very recent changes and bug fixes.

Forgive me for wasting your time.

Luigi
Re: Upp 2008.1rc1 released [message #17070 is a reply to message #17069] Sun, 27 July 2008 12:14 Go to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
forlano wrote on Sun, 27 July 2008 12:32

Hello,

I daily follow the forum (most without to login) and perhaps I missed some post. My silly and boring question is:
why the name of the final release will be 2008.1? (if I remember 1 being January).
I would expect 2008.X with X near 7. If I were unawere of U++ after seeing the announce "released new Upp 2008.1" after discovering the 1 is jabuary I could think that all the stuff were freezed back to january. It seems the release born already old. Instead, if I am not missed many posts, it includes all very recent changes and bug fixes.

Forgive me for wasting your time.

Luigi

I believe we do not follow the Ubuntu versioning model where xxxx.n means that it was released in month n. Instead, it means that it is the n-th release of year xxxx. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Previous Topic: Upp 2008.1rc2 released
Next Topic: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 324 - 2008-08-02
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:33:38 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07128 seconds