FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Documentation and Topic++
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #16503 is a reply to message #16501] Wed, 18 June 2008 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

Fulltext is of course a highly required thing (as well as text search within text page) - this is first approach. But in my opinion fulltext search is rather ineffective in teaching new techniques. It requires different approach - something like manual docs.
First approach is experienced users - they already know HOW to do things but may forget some details from time to time. Second approach is for everyone else - from novice to those almost expert users who may uncover for themselves new parts of library. In U++, knowing methods of class doesn`t guarantee that you use them in a good way. Because, you know, library is very advanced in many ways comparing to mainstream toolkits. Even comparing to QT.
It is like a bying new shiny hi-tech car, where you first should discover how to use it`s abilities, then use it.

[Updated on: Wed, 18 June 2008 14:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #16508 is a reply to message #16501] Wed, 18 June 2008 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Wed, 18 June 2008 13:22

Well, I think some nice fulltext works here pretty well. Actually, if I look for help (about anything), I always use google...

Me too, for public APIs and so. But for upp I have to dig inside code... and it's a pity that what I find get lost because we haven't a quick way to add document.

Max
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #16509 is a reply to message #16508] Wed, 18 June 2008 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Wed, 18 June 2008 10:29

luzr wrote on Wed, 18 June 2008 13:22

Well, I think some nice fulltext works here pretty well. Actually, if I look for help (about anything), I always use google...

Me too, for public APIs and so. But for upp I have to dig inside code... and it's a pity that what I find get lost because we haven't a quick way to add document.

Max

Well, IMO, we are sort of wasting the time, as all suggested approaches are compatible and valuable.

In fact, if you have noticed, there always was an idea of "src" T++ group for reference and "srcdoc" for tutorials and other docs.

Anyway, if you are about to write those tutorial/conceptual docs, I think there is nothing to prevent you doing so now.

Meanwhile, I think it is my responsibility to aim for parser/browser/reference...

Mirek
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #16514 is a reply to message #16509] Thu, 19 June 2008 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

The idea of converting "src" and "srcdoc" into something more comfortable for user didn`t survive through all these discussions? Razz
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #16515 is a reply to message #16514] Thu, 19 June 2008 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
src and srcdoc are just low-level facilities. User does not have to be bothered (unless he wants to).

I guess the more serious issue is T++ modularity - I mean, each package has its T++ themes. That might cause some issues, OTOH I think it has its advantages too...

Mirek
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #16661 is a reply to message #16509] Sun, 06 July 2008 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

luzr wrote on Wed, 18 June 2008 19:43

Anyway, if you are about to write those tutorial/conceptual docs, I think there is nothing to prevent you doing so now.
Actually there is. For now it is quite slow and complicated process imo. It is funny that the functionality itself is enough, what we need now is a little "service" items for our help engine. They are small and simple but save a lot of time to docs developers.

a)While editing help docs we need additional toolbar with predefined styles like "common text", "comment", "important", "code", etc.
b) Newly created article must be created from template with all main items ("heading", "see also", etc). This is base help page template, which would be much easier to edit than creating new standard page each time from the start.
c) Better links support. For now creating new link is rather complicated process. Ideally this operation should take 2-3 mouse clicks and no more.
d) Adding new article shouldn`t be a nightmare. 1 click to articles tree (newly creating article root item), then 1 click to "Add new article" button from toolbar. This should generate new article with predefined text (see (b)) and predefined name (just "New article"). That`s it.
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #16666 is a reply to message #16661] Sun, 06 July 2008 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Sun, 06 July 2008 03:45

luzr wrote on Wed, 18 June 2008 19:43

Actually there is. For now it is quite slow and complicated process imo. It is funny that the functionality itself is enough, what we need now is a little "service" items for our help engine. They are small and simple but save a lot of time to docs developers.

a)While editing help docs we need additional toolbar with predefined styles like "common text", "comment", "important", "code", etc.
b) Newly created article must be created from template with all main items ("heading", "see also", etc). This is base help page template, which would be much easier to edit than creating new standard page each time from the start.
c) Better links support. For now creating new link is rather complicated process. Ideally this operation should take 2-3 mouse clicks and no more.
d) Adding new article shouldn`t be a nightmare. 1 click to articles tree (newly creating article root item), then 1 click to "Add new article" button from toolbar. This should generate new article with predefined text (see (b)) and predefined name (just "New article"). That`s it.

Add c). I believe it actaully IS 2-3 mouse clicks now.

Add d). Do not forget that topics are still bound to packages. Creating new article is IMO quite simple from package. In other words, I believe you are gona spend much more time writing the article than creating it either way...

Mirek

Mirek
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #16685 is a reply to message #16666] Mon, 07 July 2008 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
One issue I have with topic++ is that when I add custom Styles, it only shows/applies to the current topic. I would love a way to save styles and use them globally across any/all topics for any project. Maybe an import/export feature or global/local setting for the style.
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #16691 is a reply to message #16685] Mon, 07 July 2008 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
captainc wrote on Mon, 07 July 2008 13:37

One issue I have with topic++ is that when I add custom Styles, it only shows/applies to the current topic. I would love a way to save styles and use them globally across any/all topics for any project. Maybe an import/export feature or global/local setting for the style.

It is there since beginning, via "Stylesheet" ("Store stylesheet", "Apply stylesheet".

Mirek
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #16712 is a reply to message #16691] Tue, 08 July 2008 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
Here's what I did...
Clicked the "..." button to open the style manager.
Right-Clicked empty space and clicked "Create New Style"
Used the style in topic.
Created 2nd topic.
Looked for style in list, but its not there.
Went back to 1st topic, selected the style from the list.
Clicked "<" store button, clicked ok to keep the name.
Switched to the second topic.
Looked for style, still not there.

Was this the correct way to go about this?

Note: If I copy and paste text into the new topic that has the new style from the first topic, then the style is imported into the new topic.

On a side note, I'm still getting that pesky mouse highlight text offset problem when I decrease the zoom. Screenshot of this attached...

[Updated on: Tue, 08 July 2008 14:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #16722 is a reply to message #16712] Tue, 08 July 2008 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
captainc wrote on Tue, 08 July 2008 08:06

Here's what I did...
Clicked the "..." button to open the style manager.
Right-Clicked empty space and clicked "Create New Style"
Used the style in topic.
Created 2nd topic.
Looked for style in list, but its not there.
Went back to 1st topic, selected the style from the list.
Clicked "<" store button, clicked ok to keep the name.
Switched to the second topic.
Looked for style, still not there.

Was this the correct way to go about this?

No. Each document has its own stylesheet. You need to save this stylesheet to global stylesheets and then choose it when creating the document.

Alternatively, you can also "apply" the stylesheet - adding all global stylesheet styles to current document.

Mirek
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #16725 is a reply to message #16712] Tue, 08 July 2008 18:11 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
captainc wrote on Tue, 08 July 2008 08:06

On a side note, I'm still getting that pesky mouse highlight text offset problem when I decrease the zoom. Screenshot of this attached...

Fixed, thanks.

Mirek
Previous Topic: Task: How to read GTK/Gnome settings
Next Topic: U++ infrastructure server...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:31:34 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01645 seconds