Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Final release
Final release [message #16891] Sat, 19 July 2008 19:58 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I am not aware about any really serious problems (there are some minor, but I am afraid there still will be..), so let us procede.

Anyway, change of tactics. Instead of releasing another rc, I recommend doing a final release - but at first only put it to website, not sf.net, and not annouce it.

Then let us test files a bit and if everything OK, proceed.

OK?

Mirek

[Updated on: Wed, 23 July 2008 10:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Final release [message #16920 is a reply to message #16891] Mon, 21 July 2008 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TeCNoYoTTa is currently offline  TeCNoYoTTa
Experienced Member

OK........And thanks for this greaaaaaat Library
Re: Final release [message #16952 is a reply to message #16891] Tue, 22 July 2008 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Ok, I will prepare in this week final release.
Re: Final release [message #16975 is a reply to message #16952] Thu, 24 July 2008 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
Tagged 2008.1 release in svn.

You can get it with :

svn co https://upp.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/upp/tags/2008.1 upp

You can also test 64 bit debian build here :
http://www.ultimatepp.org/releases/upp_2008.1_amd64.deb

Ciao

Max

[Updated on: Thu, 24 July 2008 01:06]

Re: Final release [message #16976 is a reply to message #16975] Thu, 24 July 2008 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bytefield is currently offline  bytefield
Experienced Member
32 bit Debian build here:
http://www.ultimatepp.org/releases/upp_2008.1_i386.deb

Edit: you can access all upp releases through http://www.ultimatepp.org/releases/

cdabbd745f1234c2751ee1f932d1dd75

[Updated on: Thu, 24 July 2008 01:37]

Re: Final release [message #16985 is a reply to message #16976] Thu, 24 July 2008 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guido is currently offline  guido
Experienced Member
If you can't find a solution for the recent dependency issues in Lenny, please take them out. We are programmers, we can handle it. A unworkable package is worse.
Re: Final release [message #16988 is a reply to message #16985] Thu, 24 July 2008 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
guido wrote on Thu, 24 July 2008 16:07

If you can't find a solution for the recent dependency issues in Lenny, please take them out. We are programmers, we can handle it. A unworkable package is worse.

Well, packages are build on ubuntu hoary, as stated many times here... which is 80% of user base, afaik.
I've got no time at all to build packages for every debian distro.... If you like to do it, you're wellcome.

That's an open source project, not a commercial one.
And, IMHO, is better to serve 80% of users than no one.

Max

[Updated on: Thu, 24 July 2008 16:44]

Re: Final release [message #16989 is a reply to message #16988] Thu, 24 July 2008 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Debian is now considered esoteric around here?

Thanks, for nothing, asshole!

Bye!
Re: Final release [message #16990 is a reply to message #16989] Thu, 24 July 2008 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
guido wrote on Thu, 24 July 2008 17:20

Bye!

As some (by luck seldom) idiots out there, you maybe think that an opensource project means that you get work of other people for free without giving back anything.
Well, much better you'll go somewhere else, then.

And, to be more clear, I DON'T think debian is esotheric, I'm just doing a FREE job because I LIKE to do it and because I LIKE to share it with others. That doesn't mean that i MUST do anything.
What I think is really esotheric is your damaged brain.

Bye

Max
Re: Final release [message #16991 is a reply to message #16990] Thu, 24 July 2008 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
mdelfede wrote on Thu, 24 July 2008 17:29

Bye!

As some (by luck seldom) idiots out there, you maybe think that an opensource project means that you get work of other people for free without giving back anything.

And, to be more clear, I DON'T think debian is esotheric, I'm just doing a FREE job because I LIKE to do it and because I LIKE to share it with others. That doesn't mean that i MUST do anything.

Bye

Max

You can read my name in the About TheIDE box. Though I'm a bit embarassed for it, as my contribution was very minor back then. Wouldn't complain if it was taken out now.
I have done my fair share of contributions to various parts of the Linux stack, don't worry. As a FOSS contributor you should commit to some responsibility for your work. At least try not to waste other people's time gratitously. Or else don't complain, when they say Linux is only free when your time has no value.

Anyway, don't take it too personal. That was a scream of frustration. Upp targets primarly mISV. Now if we can't manage to deploy upp itself, how is there any hope at all, developers will be able to deploy their apps with it? What is the point of a Linux port then, other as a toy for college kids?
This lame ass attitude is why Linux is stuck at 1% solid.

Sorry pal Confused

[Updated on: Thu, 24 July 2008 17:53]

Re: Final release [message #16992 is a reply to message #16991] Thu, 24 July 2008 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
I for one really like the proper packaging/dependancy downloading. It used to be a real pain in the arse to get the correct libs installed (I'm looking at you GTK!). Smile

I may be a programmer, and yes I can handle it, but life is too short to mess with the Linux missing dependancy madness (sometimes worse than DLL hell if you ask me).
Re: Final release [message #16993 is a reply to message #16991] Thu, 24 July 2008 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
guido wrote on Thu, 24 July 2008 17:52

mdelfede wrote on Thu, 24 July 2008 17:29

Bye!

Bye

Max

You can read my name in the About TheIDE box. Though I'm a bit embarassed for it, as my contribution was very minor back then. Wouldn't complain if it was taken out now.
I have done my fair share of contributions to various parts of the Linux stack, don't worry. As a FOSS contributor you should commit to some responsibility for your work. At least try not to waste other people's time gratitously. Or else don't complain, when they say Linux is only free when your time has no value.

Anyway, don't take it too personal. That was a scream of frustration. Upp targets primarly mISV. Now if we can't manage to deploy upp itself, how is there any hope at all, developers will be able to deploy their apps with it? What is the point of a Linux port then, other as a toy for college kids?
This lame ass attitude is why Linux is stuck at 1% solid.

Sorry pal Confused

Well, ok Smile
I'm a bit nervous too... too much work (real life one, and it's not programming).
BTW, I'm contributing too to linux, well, better said to wine development, with some (very) small patches. I do it because I like it and because I see some usefulness on it, we got autocad working on wine and that one IS useful for my job too Smile

BTW, back to upp... I'm involved on it because I like it and I do in my spare time, which is becoming very very scarce, lately.
So, for me it's impossible to build other than 64 bit ubuntu and, thanx to bytefield, we've got 32 bit ubuntu maintained too, and to others for windows daily builds.
That said, my build scripts, which contains all dependencies, are on svn. If you have a solution about dependencies on Lenny, you can patch the script for it and we can put on svn too.
Maybe somebody will take care of daily Lenny builds.

Max
Re: Final release [message #16994 is a reply to message #16991] Thu, 24 July 2008 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
guido wrote on Thu, 24 July 2008 11:52

Anyway, don't take it too personal. That was a scream of frustration. Upp targets primarly mISV. Now if we can't manage to deploy upp itself, how is there any hope at all, developers will be able to deploy their apps with it?

Well, maybe developers can do the same thing - target the same 80% user base as us. In fact, Ubunutu seems to be the exact kind of relief here you are calling for.

Mirek
Re: Final release [message #16995 is a reply to message #16994] Thu, 24 July 2008 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
(P.S.: The first little flame-war. Is this a sign that the project is maturing? Smile
Re: Final release [message #16997 is a reply to message #16988] Thu, 24 July 2008 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cocob is currently offline  cocob
Experienced Member
Ubuntu hoary ?? it must be hardy no ?

I understand why we don't have svnbuilds for debian but for a final release it would be great !

I agree with 80 % user on ubuntu against debian but i think most developpers (or old users of linux) are on debian.

Personnaly i love UPP and i want promote it around me bu it is very difficult to show seriousness of a open-source project which debian package can't be installed on current debian testing.

Thanks for the release i will test it tonight !
Re: Final release [message #17000 is a reply to message #16993] Thu, 24 July 2008 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
The blame should have gone to the people, who make it so hard for you to provide a widely working package, in the first place.

Sorry again! This should be a day to celebrate Razz

After eight years of Linux use, it is getting hard to tolerate these things any longer. People like me are starting to give up and go Mac for their desktop needs. Many have left already.
I'm flirting with Solaris, so as not having to leave my comfort zone completely. But fear it is too focused on the big enterprisy stuff, to become usefull as a regular desktop.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 July 2008 21:12]

Re: Final release [message #17020 is a reply to message #16891] Fri, 25 July 2008 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, I guess that while not easy, it currently IS possible to provide comercial closed-source apps:

http://www.zero-bugs.com/2.0/free_download.html

I am putting this example also because perhaps we can learn something from its packaging (essentially, we have similar requirements).

Mirek
Re: Final release [message #17034 is a reply to message #16891] Sat, 26 July 2008 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bytefield is currently offline  bytefield
Experienced Member
Hi,
All Debian users please test upp_2008.1_i386.deb from Releases. I expect some feedback if there are U++ Debian users. Rolling Eyes . Ubuntu users please test this package too to see if it work on your system (it work on mine), preferably a fresh system, without upp previously installed.

Now some explanation about the package...
Logically, if we have installed g++-4.1 it needs libstdc++6-4.1-dev (g++-4.1 dependencies say that) and if libstdc++6-dev (no matter which version 6-*) is installed, Utlimate++ can be used to develop software. I've modified control file from *.deb package to have as dependencies libstdc++6-4.1-dev which however get installed with g++-4.1 which is for moment the main compiler used by upp under Linux. If feedback is positive, we would use the same package for Debian and Ubuntu without any problem.

Edit: link update
Andrei

cdabbd745f1234c2751ee1f932d1dd75

[Updated on: Sun, 03 August 2008 11:50]

Re: Final release [message #17037 is a reply to message #17034] Sat, 26 July 2008 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
BTW, I do not want to be to picky and certainly it is OK for this release, BUT should not we install into /usr/local in the future?

Mirek
Re: Final release [message #17040 is a reply to message #17034] Sat, 26 July 2008 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Experienced Member
Thank you for your effort!
Works fine as far as I can tell.

I'll use this post to file a bug against upp:
There is a layout glitch in build methods. See attachment.
Also, edit fields height is too large for font size. See the white stripe padded with background color. Is that intentional?
Previous Topic: Makefiles warning!
Next Topic: A problem of released versions compiled by gcc 4.3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:44:16 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01279 seconds