Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Ultimate make (umk)
Ultimate make (umk) [message #16693] Mon, 07 July 2008 22:36 Go to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

I think build and package mangment (reading and accessing project structure) code could be separated from the ide. That would allow to create real umk which dosn't need ide to build a project. This also would reflect in much simpler "startup" makefile (easier to maintain) on unix systems. With this makefile anyone could build umk and then using umk the whole upp. What do you think about that?
Re: Ultimate make (umk) [message #16694 is a reply to message #16693] Mon, 07 July 2008 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Mon, 07 July 2008 16:36

I think build and package mangment (reading and accessing project structure) code could be separated from the ide. That would allow to create real umk which dosn't need ide to build a project. This also would reflect in much simpler "startup" makefile (easier to maintain) on unix systems. With this makefile anyone could build umk and then using umk the whole upp. What do you think about that?

I agree. Not a trivial job though.

(OTOH, new Export solves some of these problems Wink

Mirek
Re: Ultimate make (umk) [message #16700 is a reply to message #16694] Mon, 07 July 2008 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:

(OTOH, new Export solves some of these problems

I haven't tried this new feature yet, maybe creating better umk has no sense now. On the other hand you would not have to call export project each time it changes having umk.
I'll try to investigate how much build process is integrated with ide and what time cost separating is.
Re: Ultimate make (umk) [message #16702 is a reply to message #16700] Mon, 07 July 2008 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
unodgs wrote on Mon, 07 July 2008 16:54

Quote:

(OTOH, new Export solves some of these problems

I haven't tried this new feature yet, maybe creating better umk has no sense now. On the other hand you would not have to call export project each time it changes having umk.
I'll try to investigate how much build process is integrated with ide and what time cost separating is.

Well, the main advantage of "separated" umk is that you would be able to run it on systems without X11 libraries....

Mirek
Re: Ultimate make (umk) [message #17636 is a reply to message #16702] Sun, 24 August 2008 08:32 Go to previous message
ebojd is currently offline  ebojd
Experienced Member
there is another advantage in that a standalone bootstrap program can regenerate the entire ide makefiles without them.

It is times like this I think Ultimate++ should completely redo the build system using Jam (which is platform independent AND bootstrapable).

EBo --
Previous Topic: #include "_uses_.h"
Next Topic: updating portage tree, questions, etc.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 13:29:49 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03139 seconds