Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » The plan....
Re: The plan.... [message #17772 is a reply to message #17771] Thu, 28 August 2008 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
zsolt wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 08:21

luzr wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 09:02

Maybe we should make CtrlCore fully MT safe (in common sense, where you are required to serialize access to single widget by multiple threads).

PostCallback is good, but sometimes more straighforward solution would be even better...

Mirek

A thread safe Callback system would be much more useful, I think.

Callback itself is thread-safe.

And, I guess, PostCallback method can be considered a thread-safe callback system; that is what we have now...

What else should it do? (Note that it is technically impossible to call another thread's routine - that would be "interrupt").

Mirek
Re: The plan.... [message #17778 is a reply to message #17646] Thu, 28 August 2008 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Another: Win32 release should perhaps include some more free-license libraries, like PostgreSQL, SSL etc.. to simplify setup. Maybe even mysql.

Mirek
Re: The plan.... [message #17781 is a reply to message #17772] Thu, 28 August 2008 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
luzr wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 14:46

zsolt wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 08:21

luzr wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 09:02

Maybe we should make CtrlCore fully MT safe (in common sense, where you are required to serialize access to single widget by multiple threads).

PostCallback is good, but sometimes more straighforward solution would be even better...

Mirek

A thread safe Callback system would be much more useful, I think.

Callback itself is thread-safe.

And, I guess, PostCallback method can be considered a thread-safe callback system; that is what we have now...

What else should it do? (Note that it is technically impossible to call another thread's routine - that would be "interrupt").

Mirek

I would like an inter-thread communication framework:
  1. threads are waiting for a job queue
  2. threads can have special job-creating Callback like objects
  3. threads can register their methods to that Callback like objects of other threads ( in a type-safe way, like with current callback functions or THISBACK macros)
  4. when a thread calls it's own Callback like object, it creates the job-objects and puts them to the fifos of registered threads
  5. threads are executing jobs from fifos on their own threads
Re: The plan.... [message #17784 is a reply to message #17778] Thu, 28 August 2008 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
luzr wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 15:31

Another: Win32 release should perhaps include some more free-license libraries, like PostgreSQL, SSL etc.. to simplify setup. Maybe even mysql.

Mirek

Yes, in ideal world I would personally deliver "online" and "offline" install.exe. The online would be just couple of kB file, which would let user configure what should be installed. (U++, MINGW, SDL, PSQL, ...) Those parts would be downloaded than, and installed.
Offline installer would contain everything (so it would be several MB big file), but it would work without internet connection. (visually it would behave in the same way as online installer)

I think right now we are at "offline" installer, with having several different .exe with different things bundled (right now just MINGW vs non-MINGW). Sticking to this path may lead to 4-5 installers maybe (some common configurations). As the build process will be fully automated, I think this is still viable to maintain and usable. The online/offline model would just lessen the strain on newcomers, so they would need to choose just from 2 options, not 4-5 of them.

Edit:
and the "online" installer should be usable to ADD some package later after the U++ is already installed without it. Or even "remove" some part of it (although I think that's really just adding some polish, not really needed function, the ADD is important part).

[Updated on: Thu, 28 August 2008 17:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The plan.... [message #17785 is a reply to message #17781] Thu, 28 August 2008 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
zsolt wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 09:54

I would like an inter-thread communication framework:
  1. threads are waiting for a job queue
  2. threads can have special job-creating Callback like objects
  3. threads can register their methods to that Callback like objects of other threads ( in a type-safe way, like with current callback functions or THISBACK macros)
  4. when a thread calls it's own Callback like object, it creates the job-objects and puts them to the fifos of registered threads
  5. threads are executing jobs from fifos on their own threads

I believe this is very specific scenario. Sometimes, this can be handy, but I doubt it is something common.

Mirek
Re: The plan.... [message #17789 is a reply to message #17778] Thu, 28 August 2008 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
amrein is currently offline  amrein
Experienced Member
mr_ped wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 12:51

Well, assemblies don't just "collect" packages, but they also handle inclusion of other assemblies in build process, i.e. after default 2008.1 install at Win32 you can't work with Bazaar packages in MyApps assembly (until you add that in Edit assembly).
This also allow you to have two uppsrc (stable / SVN), and assemblies MyApps/MyAppsSVN, which both refer to "Core" package, but from different assembly (version), and work on/build both in the same TheIDE.

In this sense I think the "assembly" is better name than "collection".

Well, for me, assemblies are collection of packages. Packages refer to other packages from uppsrc/ (uppsrc is the main assembly) and not to other assemblies.

So, for me my proposition is still valid.

luzr wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 15:31

Mirek

Well: www.graphicsmagick.org or www.imagemagick.org to support reading, writing, and manipulating images (over 88 or more major image formats supported).

[Updated on: Thu, 28 August 2008 19:16]

Re: The plan.... [message #17791 is a reply to message #17789] Thu, 28 August 2008 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
Quote:

Well: www.graphicsmagick.org or www.imagemagick.org to support reading, writing, and manipulating images (over 88 or more major image formats supported).

That is a GREAT idea. 'Motion Seconded'!
Re: The plan.... [message #17793 is a reply to message #17789] Thu, 28 August 2008 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
amrein wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 13:15

mr_ped wrote on Thu, 28 August 2008 12:51

Well, assemblies don't just "collect" packages, but they also handle inclusion of other assemblies in build process, i.e. after default 2008.1 install at Win32 you can't work with Bazaar packages in MyApps assembly (until you add that in Edit assembly).
This also allow you to have two uppsrc (stable / SVN), and assemblies MyApps/MyAppsSVN, which both refer to "Core" package, but from different assembly (version), and work on/build both in the same TheIDE.

In this sense I think the "assembly" is better name than "collection".

Well, for me, assemblies are collection of packages. Packages refer to other packages from uppsrc/ (uppsrc is the main assembly) and not to other assemblies.

Assemblies are ordered sets (ok, collections as good term as set) of "nests". Nests are directories where packages reside.

Well, in practice, assembly has often just two nests in it (second being uppsrc), but that is not a rule.

Mirek
Re: The plan.... [message #17795 is a reply to message #17793] Fri, 29 August 2008 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
More:

Decimal type (we have begun working on it; my version is in uppdev/Dec, I am now stuck with mul/div Wink

Move SHA1 and MD5 to Core; perhaps derive it from Stream.

Mirek
Re: The plan.... [message #17796 is a reply to message #17795] Fri, 29 August 2008 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

luzr wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 07:49

More:

Decimal type (we have begun working on it; my version is in uppdev/Dec, I am now stuck with mul/div Wink

Move SHA1 and MD5 to Core; perhaps derive it from Stream.

Mirek

Just one note about decimal. Unfortunatelly MSC8/9 32bit doesn't support int128 type...

[Updated on: Fri, 29 August 2008 14:05]

Re: The plan.... [message #17812 is a reply to message #17752] Fri, 29 August 2008 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
amrein wrote on Wed, 27 August 2008 18:08

So 7 assemblies:

"nests", right?

Quote:

- myapps
- examples
- templates
- theide
- 3rdparty
- plugins

- What is the point of joining all 3 kinds of examples into single dir?

- What is "templates" good for?

- Having separate nests for 3rdparty and plugins would lead to more complicated assemblies - you would have to add 3 nests instead of one. IMO it is better to have it as subdir in the nest, which is current status.

OTOH, to truly separate 3rdparty stuff, we MIGHT consider putting 3rdparty folder in uppsrc and keep only U++ interfacing stuff (-> our core) in "plugin". The grand question is whether is it worth the trouble...

Mirek
Re: The plan.... [message #17814 is a reply to message #17812] Fri, 29 August 2008 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Hm, maybe even better solution to 3rdparty problem is to have direct license support in package system...

I mean, packages could know what is their license and TheIDE can offer license overview or something like that...

Mirek
Re: The plan.... [message #17816 is a reply to message #17812] Fri, 29 August 2008 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 20:12

amrein wrote on Wed, 27 August 2008 18:08

So 7 assemblies:

"nests", right?

Yes.

For me, those two words "Assembly" and "Nest" are complicated and should disappear. "Assembly", "Nest" and "Package" organisation could be break into "Collection","Directory" and "Package" (when someone say "Garbage collector" in java, everyone understand what he means). I don't hate birds ("Nest"...) but a few newcomers are still confused by those names (me included, I had to read the doc 4 times).

Example: in the first TheIDE window (when you open it), there are two rows "Assembly" and "Packages". That create confusion.

In fact, with this window, you are watching packages from the Nests of the default TheIDE Assembly right?
(If I'm wrong about all this, I hope I won't find a gun too close to me)
If you want to create another Assembly, you need at present to do it manually.

Now, lets break this into "Collection","Directories" and "Packages":

- The main title of the window become "Select main package from "Default Collection" ".
- First row title: "Directories"
- Second row title: "Packages"

This doesn't break the "Assembly" original idea. Anyone could create is own Collection/Assembly if he needs to.

Quote:

Quote:

- myapps
- examples
- templates
- theide
- 3rdparty
- plugins

- What is the point of joining all 3 kinds of examples into single dir?

To clean directory listing in c:/upp. Could become for example:

- upp/myapps (your own packages)
- upp/exemples (training packages)
- upp/manual (documentation for learning)
- upp/source (the core: libupp, tools and plugins)

With examples: "applications" = complete apps, "references" = small apps to demonstrate one feature, "manual" = examples from the manual.

With 3 kinds of examples in one directory, their is a need perhaps to add something else: be able to group subdir. The main window in TheIDE use symbol like "(+)" to close or open group of files. Here, the idea is for all Nests without packages but having subdir with packages to be able to open or close groups to see those sub-packages with "(+)".

Quote:

It's where people can create of fix templates for TheIDE. It's the default TheIDE template directory. Could be in TheIDE directory though.

When you create your new application, TheIDE already asks you to choose one of them at present.

Another reason is to transform TheIDE into TheLinuxWindowsIDE with templates and support for many other toolkits. A tool you will want to use for any projects from DLL to .so, from Qt applications to GTK+, MFC, wxWindows.

I don't remember who said something like this: "Keep your friend close to you. Keep your enemies even closer.". They are not enemies, I know. The idea is to open TheIDE doors to all kind of developers. Become the most used IDE. If someone wants to create a new application, he should think TheIDE first.

Quote:

- Having separate nests for 3rdparty and plugins would lead to more complicated assemblies - you would have to add 3 nests instead of one. IMO it is better to have it as subdir in the nest, which is current status.

- When they are from U++ team, sub directories in a packages are better.
- "3rdparty" is a directory containing packages not from U++ team. They could be useful for other applications.
- "Plugins" could be external sql plugins, image format plugins, codecs plugins. The idea of plugins is to open U++ to third party plugins and be able to handle them dynamically at runtime. They could link upplib to "3rdparty" too for example.

Last idea, with 3rdparty and plugins, is to be able to link TheIDE dynamically with 3rdparty lib not in source/3rdparty but in /usr/lib. Why? Because 3rdparty applications receive security fix from main Linux distributor. This is a bit far from Windows security. No need to rebuild your application if the linux distributor has patched one of the dynamically linked library. No need to wait from next U++ release to get those packages fix.

Quote:

OTOH, to truly separate 3rdparty stuff, we MIGHT consider putting 3rdparty folder in uppsrc and keep only U++ interfacing stuff (-> our core) in "plugin". The grand question is whether is it worth the trouble...

Mirek

The main idea is be able to say: U++ is a "Collection" or "Directories" containing "Packages". TheIDE is one of those directories. IDE and Topic++ are packages from TheIDE directory.

More complicated:
A directory contain a complete project with many packages.
Subdirectories are named packages when they contain something to build with a .upp file.
Subsubdirectories are subpackages of packages.

[Updated on: Sat, 30 August 2008 00:06]

Re: The plan.... [message #17817 is a reply to message #17816] Fri, 29 August 2008 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

In fact, with this window, you are watching packages from the Nests of the default TheIDE Assembly right?

Incorrect. You are seeing predefined assemblies.

Quote:

Now, lets call them "Collection","Directories" and "Packages":

I am responding to this in another thread.

Quote:

- The main title of the window become "Select main package from "Default Collection" ".
- First row title: "Directory"
- Second row title: "Packages"

Wrong.

Quote:

To clean directory listing in c:/upp. Would become:

- upp/myapps (your own packages)
- upp/exemples (training packages)
- upp/manual (documentation for learning)
- upp/source (the core: libupp, tools and plugins)

Well, I see no big advantage, but you can do this and maintain original 3 nests too. OTOH, I think the directory structure is not that relevant, once predefined assemblies are setup.

Quote:

With examples: "applications" = complete apps, "references" = small apps to demonstrate one feature, "manual" = examples from the manual.

BTW, now you suggest 2 instead of 3. In previous post you suggested 1 instead of 3 Smile

Quote:

With 3 kinds of examples in one directory, their is a need to add something else: be able to group subdir. The main window in TheIDE use symbol like "(+)" to close or open group of files. Here, the idea is for all Nests without packages but having subdir with packages to be able to open or close groups to see those sub-packages with "(+)".

Great. So we are going to go back to old tired concepts?

I agree that it is less confusing for beginners, but I am not going to sacrifice my productivity Smile

Quote:

Quote:

It's where people can create of fix templates for TheIDE. It's the default TheIDE template directory. Could be in TheIDE directory though.

What is template for TheIDE?

Quote:

When you create your new application, TheIDE already asks you to choose one of them at present.

Ops. But that logically belongs to packages - and that is why all templates are related to packages. E.g. GUI project templates reside in CtrlLib, because that is the package you need for GUI.

Quote:

Another reason is to transform TheIDE into TheLinuxWindowsIDE with templates and support for many other toolkits. A tool you will want to use for any projects from DLL to .so, from Qt applications to GTK+, MFC, wxWindows.

OK. That is valid point... Current status is that such templates really are in Config directory (~/.upp/theide in linux now AFAIK).

Quote:

They could link upplib to "3rdparty" too for example.

Last idea, with 3rdparty and plugins, is to be able to link TheIDE dynamically with 3rdparty lib not in source/3rdparty but in /usr/lib.

If you are going to use .so, you do not need to provide source code at all.

Mirek
Re: The plan.... [message #17821 is a reply to message #17646] Fri, 29 August 2008 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 22:38

Quote:

Incorrect. You are seeing predefined assemblies.

Where is my gun. Confused
I will continue this discussion in the other thread to let people talk here about what is coming next in U++.

[Updated on: Sat, 30 August 2008 00:16]

Re: The plan.... [message #17831 is a reply to message #17646] Sat, 30 August 2008 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cocob is currently offline  cocob
Experienced Member

From my side

- A powerfull graphical profiler
- A graphical fronted for valgrind
- Better debugger integration
- Always more and more performances .... ! Smile

cocob
Re: The plan.... [message #18522 is a reply to message #17646] Mon, 06 October 2008 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
It may sound silly but how about embedding a configurable feed (RDF/RSS/Atom) reader (which would function like the VisualStudio's News reader, and could be opened in a a tab) using the power of QTF into theIDE ? By this way, it may be possible to reach U++ forum content online too. I'm already working on two feed readers (a simple feed ctrl and a "Rich" feed ctrl), so I can handle that part.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 October 2008 20:51]

Re: The plan.... [message #18532 is a reply to message #17646] Tue, 07 October 2008 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello all

Things that I would add:

- A String type that would be truly unicode, by default. I have found some mistakes in U++ code because it has been used String instead of WString.

- A multimedia (Video) control

- Also interesting to have an option to download Postgre, MySql, etc. so they fit perfectly with Upp.

Perhaps we may choose the main things listed in this post and let the volunteers to choose which one is going to implement.

Thank you very much
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: The plan.... [message #18534 is a reply to message #18532] Tue, 07 October 2008 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Tue, 07 October 2008 02:20

Hello all

Things that I would add:

- A String type that would be truly unicode, by default. I have found some mistakes in U++ code because it has been used String instead of WString.

I am afraid you have to be more specific about this....

Also, FYI, WString is goint to be 32-bit soon.

Mirek
Re: The plan.... [message #18536 is a reply to message #18534] Tue, 07 October 2008 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello luzr

I mean, as String seems to be the by default option, it tends to produce some mistakes as programmers tend to use it in functions that usually are going to be used worldwide.

Perhaps it would be better that the by default String would be international. In addition it would be possible to have other types with smaller sizes for special things like binary files management.

Perhaps there could be compatibility problems with old code.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: Releases thoughts....
Next Topic: MMX - no gain again...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:10:13 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04662 seconds