Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 951 - 2009-03-12
SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 951 - 2009-03-12 [message #18211] Tue, 16 September 2008 23:43 Go to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
Sorry for the long time since last build Smile

New builds available here : http://www.ultimatepp.org/svnbuilds

Ciao

Max

[Updated on: Thu, 12 March 2009 23:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 453 - 2008-09-16 [message #18212 is a reply to message #18211] Wed, 17 September 2008 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Excellent! Smile

BTW, I would like to have this automated soon (and performed each night). The idea is that maintainers should control the process via svn script updates.

Do you eventually have any ideas what the infrastructure should look like?

So far, I think that there should be something like 'builders' folder in svn. Each night, user 'upp' on server should export latest svn into ~/upp.src (with subfolders 'uppsrc', 'examples' etc...). Then it would run all scripts in 'builders'. These scripts should create output packages (e.g. .debs) and upload them somewhere (either website, or googlecode or maybe both).

Any comments?

Mirek
Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 453 - 2008-09-16 [message #18218 is a reply to message #18212] Wed, 17 September 2008 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
There should be a simple stuff to implement.... a cron job that does a copy (with rsync, it can skip easily .svn stuffs) in a folder, launch build scripts and upload to ftp server.
It's almost all ready, at least about Linux.
About windows, I'm using UPP under wine and it works perfectly, so it shouldn't be difficult to use UMK to do the same stuff as in Linux and FROM inside Linux.
The script could also update a web page, but that's beyond my skills... maybe Bytefield can cope with it Smile

Ciao

Max
Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 453 - 2008-09-16 [message #18219 is a reply to message #18218] Wed, 17 September 2008 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Wed, 17 September 2008 14:21

The script could also update a web page, but that's beyond my skills... maybe Bytefield can cope with it Smile

Well, I guess you have overlooked it, but that part is already working Smile

Mirek
Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 453 - 2008-09-16 [message #18220 is a reply to message #18219] Wed, 17 September 2008 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Ahh, ok ! Smile

So if you want I can do as try about the rest.... I need an ssh access to your server, of course. Do I have it ? not yet tested...

Max
Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 453 - 2008-09-16 [message #18257 is a reply to message #18220] Fri, 19 September 2008 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Wed, 17 September 2008 16:12

I need an ssh access to your server, of course.

No, there is no ssh access.

In fact, I will try to get as far as possible without it, I mean I would like to build the infrastructure without the need for any developer to have ssh, I believe that long-term it is much better solution.

Means everything should be managed by svn content...

Mirek
Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 453 - 2008-09-16 [message #18258 is a reply to message #18257] Fri, 19 September 2008 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bytefield is currently offline  bytefield
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Fri, 19 September 2008 11:12

mdelfede wrote on Wed, 17 September 2008 16:12

I need an ssh access to your server, of course.

No, there is no ssh access.

In fact, I will try to get as far as possible without it, I mean I would like to build the infrastructure without the need for any developer to have ssh, I believe that long-term it is much better solution.

Means everything should be managed by svn content...

Mirek

It's not hard to do everything just with svn. You have to create a script which do the job and an entry to cron to check from time to time if there are changes to script(which get updated by developers in svn repo) and if there are changes it will update the script which get called by another entry for cron every night to do nighty builds. I can talk about my vision on how it may look but sorry, i can't implement it, my knowledge in cron+bash+svn are quite limited and don't have time to improve them right now.

cdabbd745f1234c2751ee1f932d1dd75
Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 453 - 2008-09-16 [message #18264 is a reply to message #18258] Fri, 19 September 2008 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Yes, that can be done, but can also be very limited and cumbersome to maintain.
Yet, of course, it's by far less prone to damages.
But, to test the build scripts I should reproduce exactly your machine, build and debug the scripts, which can depend on many many factors (for example, wine for windows builds...) and then upload to svn and hope they'll work also on your machine.
Then I must ask you to add them to a cron job. Then if something goes wrong I can't see easily what happened, I must ask you to stop the job, retest scripts, ecc ecc.

In conclusion, IMHO, ssh access IS necessary for maintaining purposes. For the rest svn is more than enough.

Ciao

Max

EDIT: without ssh, it would be by far easier to setup a build machine locally and use a cron job that builds theide and upload it to an ftp server. The problem would be the updates when my machine is off (for example, holydays)

[Updated on: Fri, 19 September 2008 15:07]

Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 453 - 2008-09-16 [message #18267 is a reply to message #18264] Fri, 19 September 2008 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
Quote:

EDIT: without ssh, it would be by far easier to setup a build machine locally and use a cron job that builds theide and upload it to an ftp server. The problem would be the updates when my machine is off (for example, holydays)

Here is another idea for using some sponsorship money: can get a Virtual Private Server (VPS), choose our own OS and let the hosting company manage the uptime with automated backups etc... Then you can assign *nix user accounts and groups to contributors.

Example: http://www.spry.com/

[Updated on: Fri, 19 September 2008 15:58]

Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 453 - 2008-09-16 [message #18272 is a reply to message #18264] Fri, 19 September 2008 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Fri, 19 September 2008 09:04

Yes, that can be done, but can also be very limited and cumbersome to maintain.
Yet, of course, it's by far less prone to damages.
But, to test the build scripts I should reproduce exactly your machine, build and debug the scripts, which can depend on many many factors (for example, wine for windows builds...) and then upload to svn and hope they'll work also on your machine.

In fact I believe this is a GOOD thing. It will make well defined environment that can be used in the future.

Quote:

Then I must ask you to add them to a cron job.

I plan to run ALL scripts from certain svn directory. This part is easy Smile Just add the script there...

Quote:

Then if something goes wrong I can't see easily what happened, I must ask you to stop the job, retest scripts, ecc ecc.

In conclusion, IMHO, ssh access IS necessary for maintaining purposes. For the rest svn is more than enough.

IMO, let us try first Smile

I believe it is as complicated as you believe.

For starters, script runs under "upp" user, theide is on the PATH. FTP access info will be given in environment. Do you need anything else?

Mirek
SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 539 - 2008-10-18 [message #18730 is a reply to message #18211] Sat, 18 October 2008 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Ciao

Max
Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 539 - 2008-10-18 [message #18739 is a reply to message #18730] Sun, 19 October 2008 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
mdelfede wrote on Sat, 18 October 2008 21:05

Thanks,

usually there was a build even for Windows but I cannot see it Rolling Eyes

Luigi
Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 539 - 2008-10-18 [message #18741 is a reply to message #18739] Sun, 19 October 2008 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bytefield is currently offline  bytefield
Experienced Member
We are doing it for free for pleasure or learning purpose, so please don't expect there is someone forced to do something. What we are doing is because we know that we can help us helping others and even if we don't expect others to help us. In the bible is written "Without cost you have received; without cost you are to give."(Matthew 10:8b) so mainly that is what some of use are doing in fact that's also one part of OSS.

And sometimes we cannot do what we want because of unfavorable circumstances, For example when I've entered last night on forum and seen the build i was in my room on my notebook which is 64bit system, so even if i wanted to build 32bit build(for linux) i couldn't done that without waking all my family because the 32 bit pc is somewhere in the middle of the house and it isn't quite silent, so i've decided to wait until this morning.

So, please be kind and understand we are all humans Wink
Regards, Andrei

P.S.: i think you known what i've said above but you were too lazy as sometimes happen me to be to build the package your self Razz

cdabbd745f1234c2751ee1f932d1dd75

[Updated on: Sun, 19 October 2008 12:12]

Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 539 - 2008-10-18 [message #18745 is a reply to message #18739] Sun, 19 October 2008 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
forlano wrote on Sun, 19 October 2008 03:42

Thanks,

Luigi

PM Daniel Smile

Anyway, I hope to establish Ubuntu and Win32 nightly builds soon.

I just wanted to finish T++ issues first, which in turn ended in endless loop of A++ issues... (I am now working on parser/A++ for the 4th week....)

Mirek
Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 539 - 2008-10-18 [message #18746 is a reply to message #18745] Sun, 19 October 2008 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
luzr wrote on Sun, 19 October 2008 15:21

forlano wrote on Sun, 19 October 2008 03:42

Thanks,

Luigi

PM Daniel Smile

Anyway, I hope to establish Ubuntu and Win32 nightly builds soon.

I just wanted to finish T++ issues first, which in turn ended in endless loop of A++ issues... (I am now working on parser/A++ for the 4th week....)

Mirek

Ah... Daniel maintain the windows build. I believed was done by Max. So I thought there were just a problem with some link because the linux version in on.
I tried to install and use a svn client to do it by myself but without instructions it is not evident how to do it... at least for me, so I stopped to fight with svn.
Anyway thanks a lot for these new exciting features!

Luigi
Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 539 - 2008-10-18 [message #18764 is a reply to message #18746] Mon, 20 October 2008 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
forlano wrote on Sun, 19 October 2008 15:44

Ah... Daniel maintain the windows build. I believed was done by Max. So I thought there were just a problem with some link because the linux version in on.
I tried to install and use a svn client to do it by myself but without instructions it is not evident how to do it... at least for me, so I stopped to fight with svn.
Anyway thanks a lot for these new exciting features!

Luigi

Don't give up with svn, it's a strong piece of software Smile
I don't maintain window svn build because I'm trying to not use windows anymore.... I've got just a wine upp setup in case I need to build a windows executable. The same is for 32 bit version, we've divided our efforts to be able to provide builds as often as possible.
BTW, as Mirek said, there are plans to setup a nighty build machine, but that's not so easy, as we want to target all most used linux distros AND windows.
So, we're still thinking on how to implement it using a single build machine using Ubuntu 64 bit.
So, if there's here some "expert" on multi-target builds and cross builds, he's wellcome !
Mirek thinks on setting up chrooted environs for the different builds, and I'm quite optimistic on the ability to use wine to build windows version on the Linux machine automatically.
If somebody has some chrooted environments ready for building RPMs, 32 bit linux on 64 bit or even other distros, please drop a word here on forum, so we can speed up stuffs !

Ciao

Max
Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 539 - 2008-10-18 [message #18774 is a reply to message #18764] Mon, 20 October 2008 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
mdelfede wrote on Mon, 20 October 2008 14:13

Luigi

Today I was able to get in some weird way the full update and compile a new ide. Now I believe to stop to suffer because theide has an automatic way to update the distro.
But I am afraid that the sync works in the two way... I want only download and not update spoiling your work Smile . Can I use this feature without problem?

Luigi

[Updated on: Mon, 20 October 2008 19:37]

Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 453 - 2008-09-16 [message #18778 is a reply to message #18211] Mon, 20 October 2008 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Basically when you modify files and then update from repository, SVN will try to merge the changes together. In case you did edit different part of file than the new change available in the repository, SVN will merge it automatically.
In case both you and someone else did edit the same line of file, and the result is different, you will get "conflict".

Try to check SVN book for more information how to work with SVN.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/index.html

For example there's also chapter how to resolve conflicts, but you should try to fly trough whole content of it. It's not that huge and it will maybe explain you the basic principles.

Anyway, conflicts and merging are not that great in SVN, especially merging between different branches is somewhat more difficult, then it has to be, at least GIT looks more powerful in this aspect. But I can assure you SVN is very luxury way how to handle changes - when compared to some more historical options, like doing backups by hand or some years ago I did met MS Source Safe, and it was more like Source Lose than Safe. Very Happy
But it takes some time to get used to SVN and to learn how to use it in smart way, just like C++. It's powerful, but easy to use in wrong way and cause you big headache later.
Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 539 - 2008-10-18 [message #18783 is a reply to message #18774] Mon, 20 October 2008 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
forlano wrote on Mon, 20 October 2008 19:34

mdelfede wrote on Mon, 20 October 2008 14:13

Luigi

Today I was able to get in some weird way the full update and compile a new ide. Now I believe to stop to suffer because theide has an automatic way to update the distro.
But I am afraid that the sync works in the two way... I want only download and not update spoiling your work Smile . Can I use this feature without problem?

Luigi

I've not tested theide built-in svn stuff, but AFAIK it does work like normal svn, so syncing in both ways. There's no simple way to make it one-way sync. BTW, if you don't change synced content, it should just update yours from svn repository.
But, IMHO, it's by far more simple to keep a separate svn repository, update manually and have a script that copies it's content on your upp three, overwriting it and skipping .svn stuffs. In Linux that can be done with rsync command, in windows I guess you should code it by yourself, but that's not hard.
Once you have the svn repository on your pc, the update is quite straighforward :

1) - svn update (on svn local copy)
2) - launch your copy script which updates your upp repo
3) - launch theide and recompile itself
4) - copy the new ide executable in place of old one

With umk's help and some simple batch scripts all that can be automated, and by far quicker than download a full nighty build.

Ciao

Max

Re: SVN UPDATE & .deb BUILD : Revision 453 - 2008-09-16 [message #18789 is a reply to message #18211] Tue, 21 October 2008 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Max: I don't get it.

You can have as many svn working copies at disk, as you want, so in case you do use your own customization of upp sources, you can have "c:\uppsvn" for example, which you will checkout from SVN mirror once. Do all your changes you need to upp sources. And then just keep updating. As long as upp devs don't do changes at the same line, you will get always auto merge of your changes with latest SVN source.

In case you need clean SVN upp, just check out it one more time into different directory.

For windows I strongly recommend TortoiseSVN client, although I didn't like the "explorer extension" way of how it works, it's the only thing I don't like about it, otherwise it's excellent software and makes using SVN very convenient.

In TheIDE (let's say installed from stable release into "c:\upp") you just set up new assembly with "c:\uppsvn" directory (see the origianl upp assembly), select "TheIDE" project from the new uppsvn assembly, compile, exit TheIDE and copy the new ide.exe over the original theide.exe (but make backup! Very Happy very handy Wink ). There you go, you are running latest SVN TheIDE, including your own customized upp changes.

I don't see where you need rsync or copy of files.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 October 2008 07:58]

Previous Topic: Major redesign of MT in GUI
Next Topic: Nominate U++ for sf.net community choice awards!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:24:14 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01306 seconds