Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Linux Mandriva
Linux Mandriva [message #18361] Wed, 24 September 2008 20:35 Go to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I am posting from my new Mandriva linux.
I have removed all tracks of that very ugly Ubuntu and Kubuntu on my computer. Why are those distro so popular?
I finished even to fight with the network module not able to locate an opened wi-fi net.
Even Upp run nicely. I would recommend to have a look at it.

Luigi
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18367 is a reply to message #18361] Wed, 24 September 2008 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
amrein is currently offline  amrein
Experienced Member
forlano wrote on Wed, 24 September 2008 20:35

Hello,

Welcome home Smile

Quote:

I have removed all tracks of that very ugly Ubuntu and Kubuntu on my computer. Why are those distro so popular?

Because they are Debian based and because they are better than Debian for non geek. Old Debian users, now Ubuntu users, are very noisy. Perhaps because Ubuntu has the power of Debian but in an easier, polished and up to date state. How could you resist to tell the world about it? It's like going from DOS to Gnome. They don't care if Ubuntu still has bugs.

Quote:

I finished even to fight with the network module not able to locate an opened wi-fi net.

Luigi

2008.1 is the best Mandriva release.
2009.0 is in RC now. KDE 4.1 is not ready for prime time. If you don't like Gnome, 2009.0 won't be your distro.

2009.0 has the latest and fastest Gnome I have ever see on Mandriva. And no bug so far.
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18381 is a reply to message #18361] Thu, 25 September 2008 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jale is currently offline  jale
Mandriva is a great distribution

I prefer Kubuntu because repositories and information on internet

Kubuntu works very well on my computers
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18382 is a reply to message #18381] Thu, 25 September 2008 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
jale wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 15:03

I prefer Kubuntu because repositories and information on internet

http://www.mandriva.com/en/download
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Home
http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/KB/
http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/
http://forum.mandriva.com/

Wink
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18383 is a reply to message #18382] Thu, 25 September 2008 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bytefield is currently offline  bytefield
Experienced Member
I would like to have Linux also on my notebook but currently just Windows have drivers for my wireless network card. I've tried Mandriva 2008.1 and it was looking to load drivers from windows partition but with no success Crying or Very Sad . Ubuntu also doesn't have drivers for it and i don't have time to search for them on internet, like I'm doing currently for my HP1018 printer(drivers here). I'm waiting until next Ubuntu 8.10, maybe there are some new drivers with it and maybe they solve also the problem with lid closing(when i close the lid and then reopen it the system get blocked, nor consoles works).
Also if I have license(OEM) for Windows changing it working for a Linux with lack of drivers doesn't worth. Still waiting for the proper Linux to appear and solve my problems, else maybe i have to build it from scratch Razz .
(Broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN - i don't know more details about network card)
I was looking for drivers an i think i found some here.

cdabbd745f1234c2751ee1f932d1dd75
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18384 is a reply to message #18383] Thu, 25 September 2008 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
You'll call me crazy if you're balancing between Mandriva and Ubuntu, but why not try... Gentoo ? Wink

Ok it's up to you, I understand this choice of mine makes a lot of people laugh at me. I assume. Razz But at least, information from the gentoo community is most of the time accurate, interesting and can be applied to other distros with a bit of common sense.

I believe your card driver installation is described, the Gentoo way, here :

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Broadcom_43xx

It may be worth reading these lines, and through the lines as well.

(PS. I am "forced" to use Fedora 9 at work, and I _really really_ hate it. Well, less than Windows. Oops, did I said that?)

Lionel
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18386 is a reply to message #18384] Thu, 25 September 2008 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I've tried many distributions until now but Gentoo wasn't one of them. I've remained with Ubuntu for Desktop because Fedora wasn't worked all the time for me, Debian was to "heavy" (Lenny come with 5 DVD IIRC), Linspire and Slax were not on my tase, and i've remained with Ubuntu because I've done some contributions to it and it was "a better Linux" when i was started mainly using Linux. Mandriva was installed at University as second O.S. and i've tried it live this week at home. I have to say that first Linux distribution which was installed on my PC. was RedHat Linux, so maybe that's why i dislike using RPM based distributions because of troubles related to RPM packages i've had using RedHat some years ago.

I will try Gentoo too to see what it can do.

If others have other suggestions, i mainly looking at distro to:

• be programmer friendly
  • have latest Gnome(currently i'm using it) or latest KDE by default(perhaps XFCE could be an option, but speed doesn't matter)
  • don't use RPM packages (use *.gz(source), *.deb or other "internationally" format)
  • Upp run on it
  • is fast (including load, unload)
  • have support for my wireless network card(if i will use it on notebook)
  • i can't think now at more details... Rolling Eyes

Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18387 is a reply to message #18386] Thu, 25 September 2008 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
bytefield wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 12:45

[*] Upp run on it

You mean "out of box"? Smile

Anyway, just to add my little bit: I am using Ubuntu because

- it is the most popular distro, means developing U++ on it will have the bigest impact (in other words, U++ must work with it well)

- it supports all my HW quite well (except scanning on my network printer...)

- the company I work for is using Debian, means I need something debian based

Mirek
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18388 is a reply to message #18386] Thu, 25 September 2008 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hi,

I'm glad you have a look at it. I won't say it's the easiest to install, but you learn a lot when following the Gentoo Handbook. I learnt 75% of my basis Linux knowledge installing Gentoo.

just some answers about Gentoo regarding your requirements:

Quote:

be programmer friendly

Damn. Nearly everything if compiled from source, so I bet you can expect a rock solid and full featured programming environment. Most gentoo users are in fact programmers.

Quote:

have latest Gnome(currently i'm using it) or latest KDE by default(perhaps XFCE could be an option, but speed doesn't matter)

Gentoo has the latest everything. dot. Tip: add this line to /etc/make.conf:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86

(or equivalent if using another platform) and you'll have the bleeding edge, but more frequent updates.

Quote:

don't use RPM packages (use *.gz(source), *.deb or other "internationally" format)

Forget about RPM. you _can_ use RPM if you want (you can virtually choose any packaging system you want), but the main and official packaging system is portage, and is based on the famous BSD ports. Basically, portage downloads the official source archive, and uses a script (ebuild) to know what to do with it. Very flexible. Dependency tracking is the best of all distros I know.

Quote:

Upp run on it

Of course it does! There even used to be an ebuild for it, but unmaintained... Nevermind, fetch the sources or install through the .deb file.

Quote:

is fast (including load, unload)

Gentoo is designed to be fast. My computer starts (including X session and Enlightenment DR17) in about 10 seconds. (Honestly! I'm not joking.). you'll find everything else slow after that.

Quote:

have support for my wireless network card(if i will use it on notebook)

Portage supports lots, lots, lots of packages. Most of the time, drivers are very well supported and when they are not, following the native instructions from the vendor always work because gentoo tries a lot to follow Unix standards.

I'm sorry that I did not find any negative points about your requirements... That would have made the discussions less biased and maybe more instructive. Gentoo is not perfect, but it's by far my preferred.

Lionel
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18391 is a reply to message #18361] Thu, 25 September 2008 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor

Hello,

Luigi

Perhaps I spoke too fast. There is an annoying flickering of the display (S3 unichrome pro IGP), the same under kubuntu but at least I can run my wifi. Perhaps KDE is to heavy and I should try something lighter.

Luigi
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18392 is a reply to message #18391] Thu, 25 September 2008 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
forlano wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 19:27

Hello,

Luigi

Perhaps I spoke too fast. There is an annoying flickering of the display (S3 unichrome pro IGP), the same under kubuntu but at least I can run my wifi. Perhaps KDE is to heavy and I should try something lighter.

Luigi

I'm thinking more and more that Gnome is becoming much better and less bloated of useless stuffs than KDE....

Max
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18393 is a reply to message #18392] Thu, 25 September 2008 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
mdelfede wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 20:12

forlano wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 19:27

Hello,

Luigi

Luigi

I'm thinking more and more that Gnome is becoming much better and less bloated of useless stuffs than KDE....

Max

anyone tried E17 ? Wink

Lionel
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18394 is a reply to message #18383] Thu, 25 September 2008 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
bytefield wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 17:53

I would like to have Linux also on my notebook but currently just Windows have drivers for my wireless network card. I've tried Mandriva 2008.1 and it was looking to load drivers from windows partition but with no success Crying or Very Sad . Ubuntu also doesn't have drivers for it and i don't have time to search for them on internet, like I'm doing currently for my HP1018 printer

This problem is solved in Mandriva updates since a few months. For Ubuntu you need to solve this in command line.

But well.. how can you to get them without network access... Wink
You have a notebook so I guess Ethernet connexion is possible.

Installing a windows driver is not complicated. Example: in mandriva, control panel, add a new connection, select ndiswrapper, browse to the driver directory and select the file it told you to. That it.

If you know the name of the driver and not the location, fire this command in a terminal:

# find /mnt/windows -iname yourdrivername
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18396 is a reply to message #18392] Thu, 25 September 2008 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mdelfede wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 14:12

I second that. Gnome is simple, not very capable, but does its job..

(Side note: I got rashes when I hear litanies about any "new GUI paradigm" Smile

Mirek
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18399 is a reply to message #18361] Fri, 26 September 2008 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi everybody,
I really like this discussion, not only because I'm happy linux user, but also because I'm thinking about changing my distro right now... Let me tell you about my experiences Wink
At first I've tried SuSE and Mandriva, but those didn't really get my attention. I stayed on windows but after some time (few years Smile ) I installed Xubuntu - and it was like charm: Everything faster, easier, configurable... I've started learning rapidly. I tried several other distros,to name three most "useful" for my understanding linux it was: LFS (which gave me a lot of knowledge, but also a lot of work to get a working system Smile ), gentoo (which was not so hard, but I couldn't configure X properly, so it was near to useless) or puppy (which was very fast and lightweight, but had not enough support for my taste) and many others. Today I'm still on my Xubuntu, highly tweaked, mainly because I'm used to it.
But I think about a change. I summarized my wishes and this is what I got:
It definetly must have a good package system.
It shouldn't use any bloated desktop (my hardware is rather old).
It should have a good community support and/or follow the usual ways of doing things, so I can apply hints and howtos from other distros.
I'm not sure et what to choose, but I guess it'll be something debian based, with Enlightenment as desktop. Or maybe gentoo, this time it may work Smile
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18402 is a reply to message #18361] Fri, 26 September 2008 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
http://distrowatch.com/ is your friend Smile

Xubuntu or Ubuntu will answer your need. There are more distro debian based but the underlying community is not as big.
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18403 is a reply to message #18402] Fri, 26 September 2008 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
I'm downloading Pardus Linux today. It is not in the top 10 on distrowatch and it is Turkish targeted Linux (but with good internationalization) yet I hear a lot of praise for it. I noticed that people who praise it consider it better than Ubuntu. I hope this is something original, as advertised, and not just another Ubuntu clone.
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18409 is a reply to message #18403] Sun, 28 September 2008 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

In the last! what is the best linux?
The best linux i mean:
1. easy configure
2. easy learning
3. faster running
4. easy installing
5. stability
6. more packages
7. update with the last technologies

I use Arch linux... it is fast... but the most configuration things i need write in command line!
With respect, John!
Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18410 is a reply to message #18403] Sun, 28 September 2008 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
cbpporter wrote on Fri, 26 September 2008 11:16

I'm downloading Pardus Linux today. It is not in the top 10 on distrowatch and it is Turkish targeted Linux (but with good internationalization) yet I hear a lot of praise for it. I noticed that people who praise it consider it better than Ubuntu. I hope this is something original, as advertised, and not just another Ubuntu clone.

Hi cbpporter.

I use Pardus (2008.1) too. As you've said,it is well internationalized. But I wouldn't say that it is way better than ubuntu. Pardus is very easy to use and relatively "eyecandy" (not because of some fancy gui toolkit (It uses KDE), but rather because of it's official cartoon style). But I have to warn you about it's main drawback: Pardus pacakge installer "PISI" and it's own repositories. Pardus does not officially support *deb, or *.rpm pacakges. It has it's own packages in XML style *.pisi packages, though it'sown repositories are satisfying. And this makes installing other packages and their dependencies harder. If you need any help or have questions, maybe I can help you. Smile

Regards.

[Updated on: Sun, 28 September 2008 11:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Linux Mandriva [message #18440 is a reply to message #18384] Tue, 30 September 2008 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Experienced Member
chickenk wrote on Thu, 25 September 2008 19:18

You'll call me crazy if you're balancing between Mandriva and Ubuntu, but why not try... Gentoo ? Wink

I've tried Gentoo ... Rolling Eyes

• X server failed to set correct resolution.
  • I have to install manually WLAN drivers.
  • It's BSD based, so it's not Linux, because of that it doesn't have apt-get, dpkg, etc. and other programs that i usually use.
  • emerge gave me some errors i've tried to install Upp

Now i have Ubuntu 8.04.1 64bit installed on my notebook. It work "out of box" as 32bit version work on my desktop. WLAN drivers get solved with one CLI command:
sudo /usr/share/b43-fwcutter/install_bcm43xx_firmware.sh

The only thing it's missing are drivers for Fingerprint Reader(i don't have time to search on internet for Fingerprint Drivers, perhaps these devices are supported by Linux too).
I have Upp64 on it, working without problem. The system is easily configurable(to respond to others questions) and it just simply fill my needs.
Other reason why i still remain with Ubuntu is that it still is in DistroWatch top. Now i have to wait 1 month until new 8.10 version of Ubuntu is released and see if i will remain with it from now on.

Previous Topic: UBUNTU 8.04 - /init: /init: 1: cannot open /dev/root: No such device or address
Next Topic: What license Ultimate++ should use? Tell us!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:28:45 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01377 seconds