Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Assertion in Debug.cpp:246 "nesting_depth == 0" [BUGS?]
BugQuestion.gif  Assertion in Debug.cpp:246 "nesting_depth == 0" [BUGS?] [message #1840] Wed, 22 March 2006 16:25 Go to next message
hojtsy is currently offline  hojtsy
Experienced Member
I have an assertion failure in my application while quitting. Assertion is triggered in this method of Core/Debug.cpp:

TimingInspector::~TimingInspector() {
ASSERT(nesting_depth == 0);

I have running timers and threads when I quit. Could this be the reason for this assertion? I am using 603-dev2 on Windows.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 May 2006 19:53] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Assertion in Debug.cpp:246 "nesting_depth == 0" [message #1843 is a reply to message #1840] Wed, 22 March 2006 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
hojtsy wrote on Wed, 22 March 2006 10:25

I have an assertion failure in my application while quitting. Assertion is triggered in this method of Core/Debug.cpp:

TimingInspector::~TimingInspector() {
ASSERT(nesting_depth == 0);

I have running timers and threads when I quit. Could this be the reason for this assertion? I am using 603-dev2 on Windows.

Very likely - if you have threads running at exit. Actually, at the moment, it seems to me like bad practice - IMO code process should start and end with single thread...

Unfortunately, it is also quite possible that this fails with MT app even if ended as one thread - TiminigInspector has very specic use and is not MT safe (and likely will never be).

The real question is: are you using TIMING or RTIMING macros somewhere or they are just forgoten in U++ library code?

Mirek
Re: Assertion in Debug.cpp:246 "nesting_depth == 0" [message #1844 is a reply to message #1843] Wed, 22 March 2006 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I have threads running on exit because those threads are waiting for very slow HTTP servers to respond (inside library method). Since U++ does not provide thread termination, and I can not notify the library function to stop waiting, I would have to wait for the download attempts to time out, which could be 1 minute. It is not acceptable to wait 1 minute for application termination.
I am not using TIMING or RTIMING in my application, so they should be in the library.
Re: Assertion in Debug.cpp:246 "nesting_depth == 0" [message #1846 is a reply to message #1844] Wed, 22 March 2006 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
hojtsy wrote on Wed, 22 March 2006 13:24

I have threads running on exit because those threads are waiting for very slow HTTP servers to respond (inside library method). Since U++ does not provide thread termination, and I can not notify the library function to stop waiting, I would have to wait for the download attempts to time out, which could be 1 minute. It is not acceptable to wait 1 minute for application termination.

Actually, this is quite interesting topic to resolve:

- first, it is IMO impossible to correctly terminate the thread the "hard" way - in C++, many resources would be left allocated. What would indeed be needed is some form of "forced thread exception"... (is that possible)?

- lefts us with "soft" way - somehow signalling to the thread that it should terminate. In "GuiMT" example, I am doing that using active checking of "terminated" state, but that of course is not a very good way...

Any suggestions in this area are welcome!

Quote:

I am not using TIMING or RTIMING in my application, so they should be in the library.

OK, I will run "find in files" Smile

Mirek

[Updated on: Wed, 22 March 2006 20:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Assertion in Debug.cpp:246 "nesting_depth == 0" [message #1847 is a reply to message #1846] Wed, 22 March 2006 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Found one forgotten RTIMING in XML code. Were you using XML? Smile

Mirek
Re: Assertion in Debug.cpp:246 "nesting_depth == 0" [message #1848 is a reply to message #1847] Thu, 23 March 2006 00:14 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
I was using XML.
The library function that is running in the threads during exit is the HttpClientGet. I see no other clean way for using the HttpClient than creating own thread for the communication, so that GUI remains responsive.

I guess I could create and pass a progress callback which stops these functions when exit is requested. Then I would need to count active threads somehow: the best solution would be to manage the thread count in the sThreadRoutine library function, instead of attempting to implement this in multiple client apps. Also the Core package could provide a WaitUntilThreadsExit function, which would wait on the semaphor of this thread count. Than I would somehow invoke the WaitUntilThreadsExit function when exit is requested. These desired library features seems to be usefull for practically every MT app.
Previous Topic: To Save setup settings buttons
Next Topic: Wizard(s) for various class generation...[FEATURE REQUEST][WORKAROUND]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 23:11:43 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01512 seconds