Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Has "file index" any fans?
Has "file index" any fans? [message #18614] Sun, 12 October 2008 01:26 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I am now referring to that ArrayCtrl on the left side of CodeEditor in theide with global names of current file.

I am now thinking that it either is obsoleted by new "navigator" bar or perhaps is should be obsoleted by something like navigator "current file" mode.

Mirek
Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18615 is a reply to message #18614] Sun, 12 October 2008 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
In my opinion, here are 2 functionalities in File Index that would be good to find in the new browser (which is really, really great by the way):

1. Shortcuts to set the focus on the "search in scope" and "search type or header" fields, like F12 was set for File index search. Furthermore, I just noticed while trying that if the File index pane is closed, pressing F12 does not make it appear and set the focus. That would be a really pleasant behaviour, and for the browser as well of course.

2. In the file index, when the focus is on the search field,the behaviour is nice: I can navigate within results with up and down arrows, and press Enter to let the code editor go to the symbol definition. That is not the case (yet) in the browser pane, and that would be really nice. I found myself adding new lines instead of going to the symbol, because I was addicted and used to using this functionality from File index.

If I can found these in Browser++, then actually File Index will be obsoleted IMHO.

My 2 cents...

regards,
Lionel
Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18617 is a reply to message #18615] Sun, 12 October 2008 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
chickenk wrote on Sun, 12 October 2008 03:26

In my opinion, here are 2 functionalities in File Index that would be good to find in the new browser (which is really, really great by the way):

1. Shortcuts to set the focus on the "search in scope" and "search type or header" fields, like F12 was set for File index search. Furthermore, I just noticed while trying that if the File index pane is closed, pressing F12 does not make it appear and set the focus. That would be a really pleasant behaviour, and for the browser as well of course.

BTW, I have added third field, "Find", that searches across all scopes. The shortcut key was planned to go there...

Quote:

2. In the file index, when the focus is on the search field,the behaviour is nice: I can navigate within results with up and down arrows, and press Enter to let the code editor go to the symbol definition. That is not the case (yet) in the browser pane, and that would be really nice. I found myself adding new lines instead of going to the symbol, because I was addicted and used to using this functionality from File index.

The only problem of this is that we have now two lists to deal with (scope + items in the scope).

Well, maybe the right solution is to add "<current file>" to the scope, then stay there for F12?

Any further ideas are welcome.

Mirek
Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18620 is a reply to message #18614] Sun, 12 October 2008 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
I like the idea of being able to see at a glance what is in the current file and the order that it is in, but I think it should be changed to look more like the new Ctrl+N area. Also, currently, it references commented out code.

One thing that would be useful is doing something like SPE (Stani's Python Editor) that allows you to look at a list of what is in the current file, but that list has custom formatting that you can put in for your reference.
For example, inserting a code line like this:
// --#00CCFF My Comment

Would create a line in the File Index list that is colored light blue and contains the message My Comment

// TODO: My Todo Message

Would color the line some predefined color and create bold and italicized text with the todo message.

//----

Might create a horizontal ruler in the list

See attached screenshot...
  • Attachment: spe.png
    (Size: 206.49KB, Downloaded 251 times)

[Updated on: Sun, 12 October 2008 15:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18621 is a reply to message #18620] Sun, 12 October 2008 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Also, as an additional idea, while this might be a big task, one really cool thing that SPE does is generate class diagrams. Maybe it would be easier to do with the new C++ parser. Check out the attached screenshot.

• Attachment: spe_uml.png
    (Size: 203.37KB, Downloaded 274 times)
Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18622 is a reply to message #18614] Sun, 12 October 2008 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kodos is currently offline  kodos
Experienced Member
I like the idea of the new "navigator", but how can we
- open layout files
- create/add/remove files from the project
without the old file explorer?

And I think it would be nice if the navigator had some more filter options like just showing things from current package or from the nest the main package is in.
Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18623 is a reply to message #18622] Sun, 12 October 2008 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
kodos wrote on Sun, 12 October 2008 13:38

- create/add/remove files from the project
without the old file explorer?

Wait a moment, packages / files are of course still there. These are fundamentals of U++ development, these will never go anywhere.

We are speaking about "File index" from the Assist menu - a list of code items (functions, methods) of current file.

Mirek
Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18624 is a reply to message #18621] Sun, 12 October 2008 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
captainc wrote on Sun, 12 October 2008 09:51

Also, as an additional idea, while this might be a big task, one really cool thing that SPE does is generate class diagrams. Maybe it would be easier to do with the new C++ parser.

I was thinking about something like that, but I am afraid it really can work only when number of attributes/methods is limited...

Of course, we can show class names only, but...

Mirek
Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18625 is a reply to message #18623] Sun, 12 October 2008 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kodos is currently offline  kodos
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Sun, 12 October 2008 19:57

Wait a moment, packages / files are of course still there. These are fundamentals of U++ development, these will never go anywhere.

We are speaking about "File index" from the Assist menu - a list of code items (functions, methods) of current file.

Mirek

Ah ok sorry for the misunderstanding Embarassed
Then I vote for the new one Smile
But as I said a few more filter options would be nice.
Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18626 is a reply to message #18624] Sun, 12 October 2008 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Sun, 12 October 2008 14:00

I was thinking about something like that, but I am afraid it really can work only when number of attributes/methods is limited...

What do you mean? Why limited?
Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18629 is a reply to message #18626] Sun, 12 October 2008 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
captainc wrote on Sun, 12 October 2008 15:15

luzr wrote on Sun, 12 October 2008 14:00

What do you mean? Why limited?

Well consider Ctrl having about 200 methods and 50 member variables. If you put all of them into the box, it will be much bigger than screen.

Mirek
Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18833 is a reply to message #18629] Sat, 25 October 2008 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Well, what about making it generate them on the spot only for user's packages and not for packages in uppsrc.
Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18837 is a reply to message #18833] Sun, 26 October 2008 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
captainc wrote on Sat, 25 October 2008 16:02

Well, what about making it generate them on the spot only for user's packages and not for packages in uppsrc.

Based on presumption that user classes are much more simple? Smile

Mirek
Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18851 is a reply to message #18837] Tue, 28 October 2008 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Exactly. But you could start out simple and just have class names showing relationships and when you double click on a class it will take you to its header file.

Also, maybe a dependency graph would be really cool; showing your package's files and their dependency hierarchy (header includes). This could be beneficial to pinpoint unnecessary and circular dependencies. Many of us have been in include hell before...(though I didn't know better then). It would allow you to see just how deep the chain really is!
Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18883 is a reply to message #18851] Thu, 30 October 2008 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

Excuse if it is not right place.
A little idea about improving navigator usability. I`m talking about top navigator pane - where all types and headers are situated.
After using it for a limited time I found inconvenient that my package` classes and types are mixed with a huge amount of classes and types from U++ packages like Core.
I propose dividing topmost pane. I mean make two panes one below another. One pane contains my package types, and other contains everything from "base" packages included.
As alternative we could have a "filter" switch button, which will be in pushed state by default. This will show my package types only. If one clicks it - all the types will be displayed.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 October 2008 14:52]

Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18886 is a reply to message #18883] Thu, 30 October 2008 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Quote:

I found inconvenient that my package` classes and types are mixed with a huge amount of classes and types from U++ packages like Core.

I ran into the same issue, I found that my own references were being "drowned" by Upp packages. Something like a toggle button would be helpful, but what criteria do you filter by? All packages in uppsrc directory?
Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18887 is a reply to message #18886] Thu, 30 October 2008 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Filter criteria is simple: all types defined not in active package must be filtered.

Also << and >> navigator buttons will be handy. I mean web browser analogy - go to previous visited item.
Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18889 is a reply to message #18614] Thu, 30 October 2008 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I suggest active assembly, not package. As my projects often consist of several packages tightly coupled, so it makes little sense to use just single package in such case.
Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18890 is a reply to message #18889] Thu, 30 October 2008 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

This makes three-buttons multibutton switch: everything, active assembly, active package.

P.S. I think it is still important to filter uppsrc packages. Even in assembly filter mode.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 October 2008 16:07]

Re: Has "file index" any fans? [message #18892 is a reply to message #18887] Thu, 30 October 2008 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Thu, 30 October 2008 10:04

Filter criteria is simple: all types defined not in active package must be filtered.

Also << and >> navigator buttons will be handy. I mean web browser analogy - go to previous visited item.

I think Alt+Left / Right should work quite well here now.

Mirek
Previous Topic: String == optimization hint...
Next Topic: Macro thoughts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:29:19 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02268 seconds