Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Library : Other (not classified elsewhere) » "All shared" in Windows question
"All shared" in Windows question [message #18641] Tue, 14 October 2008 00:54 Go to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

I have a question about "All shared" option in Build options. As far as I understand it means compiling all the included packages into dynamic libraries (*.dll) and loading them dynamically to application executed.
I switched to "all shared" and tried to compile with MSC8 / MSC71 under Windows but TheIDE crashed each time.

Questions.
1) Do I understand "all shared" properly?
2) TheIDE crash is a bug or am I doing something wrong?
3) I`m making U++ based application with U++ based plugins. In order to solve potential memory managers conflicts I need libraries to be shared (this means compilation as dynamic libraries). Will it be enough?
Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #18666 is a reply to message #18641] Wed, 15 October 2008 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

No ideas about "all shared"?
Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #18668 is a reply to message #18666] Wed, 15 October 2008 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
Try to diff the output of the makefile generation of a few of the projects. I am trying that now myself to see what is different between the options.
Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #18674 is a reply to message #18641] Wed, 15 October 2008 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Quote:

No ideas about "all shared"?

AFAIK it is a posix/linux specific option (at least, for now) and links dynamically the created application to it's "dependencies" (gtk/kde libs etc.)

[Updated on: Wed, 15 October 2008 23:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #18678 is a reply to message #18674] Thu, 16 October 2008 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Yes, it seems like "all shared" is truly a POSIX specific. Still we know that memory manager problem (main app / plugin) is solved by using U++ Core as dynamic library. I searched this forum and came to conclusion that there is no way to make U++ Core DLL-based without applying hacks. This makes classic plugin approach unworkable with U++.

There is one bigger issue with U++ versioning. Let`s imagine we managed to compile U++ libs as DLLs, wrote main application and released some number of U++ plugins for it. Then we distribute them and people start using our application.
After some time passed, we`ve decided to upgrade some plugins and added a pair of new ones. This time, we have U++ with newer version than one in DLLs distributed. And our newly written plugins will most likely crash on user machines where old U++ Core DLLs are resided.

This all means that each DLL should be standalone with U++ libraries statically linked. Yes, it is the hard way, but it is more likely the only way because of problems with U++ core libraries` dynamic linking and rapid U++ growth.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 October 2008 10:00]

Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #18683 is a reply to message #18678] Thu, 16 October 2008 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
Maybe we can take in incremental approach to it, like on a per package basis to see what kind of issues will come up. Maybe some part of U++ must remain statically linked for now, but some parts can be dynamically linked. It may be best to test it out with some easy packages ("pick the low hanging fruit") first.
Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #18686 is a reply to message #18683] Thu, 16 October 2008 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
I believe there would be two solution two the problem.

1. Very careful monitoring of all breaking changes and make some mechanism for maintaining compatibility. Very difficult, and there will be times when breaking changes are introduced if you don't want to be stuck with the same features and design for years (Gtk is facing this problem right now: they can't do new stuff because of current interface limitations and adding new features would break link compatibility), you'll have to use a new version of the dynamic library.

2. Since releases are so infrequent, have a different dll for each version. Using an inappropriate version should not be permitted. This approach will only be useful if multiple U++ applications run on the same machine, by not replicating the same code in all the applications through static linking. I believe MFC uses this approach because they are not were not able to preserve compatibility.
Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #18695 is a reply to message #18641] Fri, 17 October 2008 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Mon, 13 October 2008 18:54

I have a question about "All shared" option in Build options. As far as I understand it means compiling all the included packages into dynamic libraries (*.dll) and loading them dynamically to application executed.
I switched to "all shared" and tried to compile with MSC8 / MSC71 under Windows but TheIDE crashed each time.

Questions.
1) Do I understand "all shared" properly?

Yes. Anyway, it is sort of experimental feature for Win32...

Quote:

2) TheIDE crash is a bug or am I doing something wrong?

A bug (well, rather "failed experiment" Smile

Quote:

3) I`m making U++ based application with U++ based plugins. In order to solve potential memory managers conflicts I need libraries to be shared (this means compilation as dynamic libraries). Will it be enough?

Well, this is a trouble with U++ / Win32. Anyway, why do you suppose to solve memory manager conflicts using .dll?

Mirek
Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #18703 is a reply to message #18695] Fri, 17 October 2008 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

luzr wrote on Fri, 17 October 2008 17:45

Anyway, why do you suppose to solve memory manager conflicts using .dll?

Thanks for a good question.
Just looked into command line in verbose mode and found "-MTd" switch selecting static linking of CRT. In theory, if I use dynamic CRT for main app and plugins it will share memory manager between them. And it will solve some low-level memory allocation issues.
Again, even if I manage to compile with "-MDd" switch, it will solve only half of a problem. Other half is equality of U++ Core objects versions, which will be unique in each plugin depending on U++ version it was developed with.
Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #18710 is a reply to message #18703] Fri, 17 October 2008 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Quote:

Other half is equality of U++ Core objects versions, which will be unique in each plugin depending on U++ version it was developed with.

Just freeze the whole development platform including the tools for the actual application, so whenever you need to add new plugin, you will install the frozen environment from backup, and work there until you are done. Release plugin. Backup whole thing again.

In case you plan to let others to create plugin themselves, you are still in trouble. Then the best way is maybe to stick some of the stable releases for the whole life cycle of application. But in that perspective the u++ does change way too fast, even if it does only 1.5 of stable release per year, or how much of them happen at average.

I don't think freezing ABI between different upp versions is possible (within reasonable costs).
Maybe it would be better to distribute whole application and plugins in source form, and let ever user compile with current upp. (just like linux and GNU is used)
Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #18711 is a reply to message #18710] Sat, 18 October 2008 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I was thinking about this issue from time to time and I think the one possible way worth investigating is plugin as separate process.

Of course, clearly depends on what plugins are supposed to do...

Anyway, one interesting advantage of possible plugin system via separate processes is possibility to even run on different machine Smile (And e.g. communicate via TCP/IP or UDP...).

Mirek
Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #18836 is a reply to message #18711] Sun, 26 October 2008 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

The main question here is if Core DLL will solve all the problems with memory management.

Finally I have a pair of little sample plugin apps. Both GUI. First application is linked into DLL and has 2 functions like Start and Finish. It is common U++ GUI project, with main window Execute() called from Start();
Second application is U++ EXE and loads this DLL dynamically with LoadDll__. Loading is successful, but when I call DLL`s Start() function, an exception is thrown. I thought it would not be a problem. In theory these modules have different memory managers and no problems should appear. What is done wrong here?

[Updated on: Sun, 26 October 2008 02:30]

Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #18838 is a reply to message #18836] Sun, 26 October 2008 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Sat, 25 October 2008 21:18

The main question here is if Core DLL will solve all the problems with memory management.

Finally I have a pair of little sample plugin apps. Both GUI. First application is linked into DLL and has 2 functions like Start and Finish. It is common U++ GUI project, with main window Execute() called from Start();
Second application is U++ EXE and loads this DLL dynamically with LoadDll__. Loading is successful, but when I call DLL`s Start() function, an exception is thrown. I thought it would not be a problem. In theory these modules have different memory managers and no problems should appear. What is done wrong here?

There are many many small details than can go wrong....

I think it can be heap, but it can be anything else as well. IMO, even the very simple thing like registering the same window class....

Everything also depends on HOW exactly you link the plugin..

Mirek
Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #18839 is a reply to message #18838] Sun, 26 October 2008 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

///////MAIN EXE
typedef void (* PlugFunc)();
struct Plugin
{
	PlugFunc plugStart, plugFinish;
	bool activated;
	DLLHANDLE handle;

Plugin() :plugStart(0), plugFinish(0), activated(false) {}
	void Start() {plugStart();}
};
Array<Plugin> plugins;
AdvPlugTest::AdvPlugTest()
{
	::CtrlLayout(*this);

plugStart <<= THISBACK(PluginStart);
	plugList.AddColumn("Íàéäåíû ïëàãèíû");
	FindFile ff(DIR_PLUGINS+"*.dll");
	while (ff)
	{
		plugList.Add(ff.GetName());
		ff.Next();

Plugin newPlugin;
		String pluginName = DIR_PLUGINS+ff.GetName();
		static const char *const names[3] = {"PlugStart", "PlugFinish",0};
		void *      procs[] = {&newPlugin.plugStart,&newPlugin.plugFinish,0};
		newPlugin.handle = LoadDll__(pluginName, &names[0], &procs[0]);

plugins.Add(newPlugin);
	}
}
void AdvPlugTest::PluginStart()
{
	int row = plugList.GetClickRow();
	if (row<0 || row>=plugList.GetCount())
		row = 0;

if (plugins[row].activated)
		return;

plugins[row].activated = true;
	plugins[row].Start();
}

///////DLL
Plug *plug = 0;
extern "C"
{
	DLLEXPORT void PlugStart();
	DLLEXPORT void PlugFinish();
};
extern "C" void PlugStart()
{
	plug = new Plug();
	plug->Execute();
}

extern "C" void PlugFinish()
{
	delete plug;
}

Plug::Plug()
{
	::CtrlLayout(*this, "Plugin window");
}

[Updated on: Sun, 26 October 2008 09:57]

Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #18907 is a reply to message #18839] Fri, 31 October 2008 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I wonder what U++ version is this.

error: ‘::CrtlLayout’ has not been declared

CtrlLayout has been moved into namespace long time ago....

Apart from that, I do not see anything particulary wrong. Anyway, devil is in details, especially as far as DLLs are considered...

Also, maybe in fact it would be possible, at least in Win32, to follow some sort of "clean cut" plugin DLL arrangements. That in fact would mean the exact opposite to current "SO" flag: we would avoid makeing any U++ symbols exported, only connecting plugin using narrow interface and regular Win32 libraries.

Of course, that would mean DHCtrl for plugin widgets and separated message loops. And duplicating all library stuff in plugin.

Mirek
Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #19179 is a reply to message #18641] Mon, 17 November 2008 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cocob is currently offline  cocob
Experienced Member
I think it would be nice to secure the output mode, because some combinations doesn't work or crash regulary.

Some examples :

- "all shared" with MSC
- "all shared" with blitz

and by the way i have again some problems with "all shared" and MINGW like compiling UWord example (problem with plugin/png) and some others with build order.

cocob
Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #19180 is a reply to message #18641] Mon, 17 November 2008 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cocob is currently offline  cocob
Experienced Member
Ok, for the problem with plugin/png i think a dependency to Draw package is missing

cocob
Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #19183 is a reply to message #19179] Mon, 17 November 2008 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
cocob wrote on Mon, 17 November 2008 06:17

I think it would be nice to secure the output mode, because some combinations doesn't work or crash regulary.

Some examples :

- "all shared" with MSC
- "all shared" with blitz

and by the way i have again some problems with "all shared" and MINGW like compiling UWord example (problem with plugin/png) and some others with build order.

cocob

There is "Lock link mode" Option in Build methods.

Perhaps it is time to start releasing U++ with this mode on....

Mirek
Re: "All shared" in Windows question [message #19207 is a reply to message #18641] Thu, 20 November 2008 11:11 Go to previous message
Factor is currently offline  Factor
Promising Member
I was able to compile the upp packages to shared lib with mingw 4.3 on windows (some minor changes needed only). During compilation the following warning message appears:

Info: resolving vtable for Upp::ImageEncoder by linking to __imp___ZTVN3Upp12ImageEncoderE (auto-importd:/prg/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32
/4.3.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/ld.exe: warning: auto-importing has been activated without --enable-auto-import specified on the command line.
This should work unless it involves constant data structures referencing symbols from auto-imported DLLs.)

I've tested a lot of applications in the reference and example directory and all works as excepted.
My question is that how usable this method in a real world application that uses shared libs as plugins?
Previous Topic: Huge font in upp[Gnome-Debian]
Next Topic: Help - I'm trying to draw an array of images
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:11:59 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01902 seconds