Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: CodeEditor, Assist++, Topic++ » Proposal on editor
Proposal on editor [message #18694] Fri, 17 October 2008 15:28 Go to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

C++ Builder had a nice feature of rapidly switchng between .cpp and .h files. I think this feature is useful for a majority of files (.h usually has it`s .cpp complementary file, not always though).

The idea is simple. On active tab`s caption left mouse click (active tab "pushed" again) or some key (like F2) do search the file with the same name and complementary extension (cpp->h, h->cpp). If there is one, open it in the same tab.

Saves clicks while switching between class header and implementation.
Nice and simple. No parsing or looking for dependencies.

This will also save much space in tabs area (2x times less tabs).

P.S. Not to spam with topics, posting possible bug on the same topic, TheIDE editor. It looks like useful Alt-C feature fails to work properly on 810.r165.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 October 2008 15:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Proposal on editor [message #18698 is a reply to message #18694] Fri, 17 October 2008 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Alt+O does switch between cpp/h files, but it will open it in new tab.
Re: Proposal on editor [message #18700 is a reply to message #18698] Fri, 17 October 2008 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Maybe sharing single tab is not bad idea after all. Smile
It`s interesting what people think about it.
Re: Proposal on editor [message #18708 is a reply to message #18700] Fri, 17 October 2008 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Mindtraveller wrote on Fri, 17 October 2008 10:43

Maybe sharing single tab is not bad idea after all. Smile
It`s interesting what people think about it.

Don't worry - one of tabbar extension will be exactly this and more - all files with the same name but different extenstions will share the same tab. Of course this will be configurable.
Re: Proposal on editor [message #18709 is a reply to message #18698] Fri, 17 October 2008 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Fri, 17 October 2008 10:15

Alt+O does switch between cpp/h files, but it will open it in new tab.

IMO even more usefull is Alt+I - the smart version of the same thing...

Mirek
Re: Proposal on editor [message #18715 is a reply to message #18709] Sat, 18 October 2008 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Wow! This is surely a time economy! Thanks.
Re: Proposal on editor [message #18717 is a reply to message #18715] Sat, 18 October 2008 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, this is the list of "the most useful keys"

Ctrl+Tab
Alt+J (note recent improvements)
Alt+I
Alt+Left (back from Alt+J/Alt+I)
Alt+C

Mirek
Re: Proposal on editor [message #18744 is a reply to message #18717] Sun, 19 October 2008 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Thanks again.

After some thinking I have little proposal. Maybe you will find it useful.
We have package files list in the left TheIDE frame. What if we slightly change this list according to the same idea.
I mean listing file names and a number of small icons to the right of it. Icons are: cpp, h, iml, inc, asm, icpp (, ...). Clicking the icon opens the file with specific extension. Clicking file name opens/activates the tab with this file. If tab is already opened and active, clicking file name cycles through existing files with it`s name and different extensions.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 October 2008 15:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Proposal on editor [message #18754 is a reply to message #18744] Sun, 19 October 2008 23:37 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Sun, 19 October 2008 09:03

Thanks again.

After some thinking I have little proposal. Maybe you will find it useful.
We have package files list in the left TheIDE frame. What if we slightly change this list according to the same idea.
I mean listing file names and a number of small icons to the right of it. Icons are: cpp, h, iml, inc, asm, icpp (, ...). Clicking the icon opens the file with specific extension. Clicking file name opens/activates the tab with this file. If tab is already opened and active, clicking file name cycles through existing files with it`s name and different extensions.

Well, but that IMO sort of expects 1:1 .cpp vs .h ratio... Which might be true for your code, but is not true for mine Smile

But interesting idea anyway.

Mirek
Previous Topic: How to make professional help system for my app's?
Next Topic: Proposal: search in Help window
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:07:17 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01454 seconds