Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Packages » Filtering packages problem?
Filtering packages problem? [message #18894] Fri, 31 October 2008 00:17 Go to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

It looks like Select package dialog doesn`t show all the packages available. And there are two problems with it.

1. Selecting main package dialog seems to filter some packages. It looks like some packages can only be seen with "All packages" checked. For example, bazaar/SysExec. If you select bazaar assembly, you won`t see it. But it is there. Clicking "all packages" shows all "hidden" packages, but all packages collected together is a mess.

2. Second issue is about adding dependency package to current package under development. Selecting Project>Add package to ... has no "all packages" checkbox. And so it can`t show any "hidden" package to add it. Let take as example bazaar/SysExec again. It seems impossible to add this package as it is not shown.

Am I right and this is a bug? Or is it some kind of feature?
It is important issue and you all have likely met it before.

P.S. Problem could happen because of some old cache files, but I couldn`t find where to look for.
Re: Filtering packages problem? [message #18895 is a reply to message #18894] Fri, 31 October 2008 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
captainc is currently offline  captainc
Experienced Member
Maybe it is any package without a CONSOLE_APP_MAIN or GUI_APP_MAIN function?
Re: Filtering packages problem? [message #18896 is a reply to message #18895] Fri, 31 October 2008 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Yes, it is "helper" package with helper functions.
It is strange TheIDE disallows adding of these packages.
Re: Filtering packages problem? [message #18900 is a reply to message #18896] Fri, 31 October 2008 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bytefield is currently offline  bytefield
Experienced Member
I think it is a feature because you usually don't edit packages(libs) which doesn't have *_APP_MAIN unless you are the developer of that package and having such a package visible for usual users of theide may trick them to consider that every packages from every assembly are resulting in executables. If you browse the forum you will see there was such cases when users tried to build an executable from e.g. DockCtrl which is a "lib", so these packages should be hidden in "Select main package" and be shown just with "Add package to *". You may hide a package from "Select main package" dialog by removing it's GUI flag IIRC and it will appear in "Add package to *".
I've tried your example with SysExec package and it is showed in "Add package to *" but not in "Select main package", so i think this is the right way for packages.

cdabbd745f1234c2751ee1f932d1dd75
Re: Filtering packages problem? [message #19038 is a reply to message #18900] Thu, 06 November 2008 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

bytefield wrote on Fri, 31 October 2008 11:41

I think it is a feature because you usually don't edit packages(libs) which doesn't have *_APP_MAIN unless you are the developer of that package and having such a package visible for usual users of theide may trick them to consider that every packages from every assembly are resulting in executables.

I generally agree with you, but how can I make it visible for me as a developer? Only by adding file with _APP_MAIN to package? I think it is rather non-obvious feature. May be it will be better to add explicit (packages list visibility) checkbox to Package config?
bytefield wrote on Fri, 31 October 2008 11:41

I've tried your example with SysExec package and it is showed in "Add package to *" but not in "Select main package", so i think this is the right way for packages.
Strange, I`m still unable to add this package to my working package as it`s not in list, even in Add package to *. Could you please tell what may be wrong? May be it is something with bazaar.var file?
Re: Filtering packages problem? [message #19041 is a reply to message #18894] Fri, 07 November 2008 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Do you have bazaar added to your current assembly your main package resides in?
Re: Filtering packages problem? [message #19042 is a reply to message #18894] Fri, 07 November 2008 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Thu, 30 October 2008 19:17

It looks like Select package dialog doesn`t show all the packages available. And there are two problems with it.

1. Selecting main package dialog seems to filter some packages. It looks like some packages can only be seen with "All packages" checked. For example, bazaar/SysExec. If you select bazaar assembly, you won`t see it. But it is there. Clicking "all packages" shows all "hidden" packages, but all packages collected together is a mess.

Well, that is why it does not show all packages, correct? Smile

Only packages that have "main configuration" and are in the last nest are displayed.

Quote:

2. Second issue is about adding dependency package to current package under development. Selecting Project>Add package to ... has no "all packages" checkbox. And so it can`t show any "hidden" package to add it. Let take as example bazaar/SysExec again. It seems impossible to add this package as it is not shown.

Actually, "add package" should work as if "Display all" is active. It therefore "the mess". That is why there is the "Search field" (I do not see any better solution now).

Mirek
Re: Filtering packages problem? [message #19044 is a reply to message #19042] Fri, 07 November 2008 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

luzr wrote on Fri, 07 November 2008 12:13

Actually, "add package" should work as if "Display all" is active.
But for me it doesn`t show i.e. bazaar/SysExec.
Re: Filtering packages problem? [message #19045 is a reply to message #19041] Fri, 07 November 2008 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

mr_ped wrote on Fri, 07 November 2008 10:49

Do you have bazaar added to your current assembly your main package resides in?
No. Why should it be added? I think manual adding bazaar/SysExec from TheIDE must do all the work. Shouldn`t it?
Re: Filtering packages problem? [message #19078 is a reply to message #18894] Mon, 10 November 2008 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I think you need to specify all package directories in assembly to let U++ build process know, where it should look.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you have your package "myapp\App" using "uppsrc\Core", and you create new assembly which will list "uppsrcSVN" instead of "uppsrc", you can use the very same myapp\App package, but it will build+link with the Core from the new uppsrcSVN directory.

If the bazaar is not in assembly definition, theIDE will not look for packages there when adding package to current project.
Re: Filtering packages problem? [message #21089 is a reply to message #19078] Sun, 03 May 2009 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

There is
Quote:

TheIDE can also be used to develop non-U++ applications.
on the U++ main page. And I do use TheIDE for developing non-U++ applications (it helps me very much in many cases).

If you really position TheIDE as non+U++ development tool, I`d like to add something about this topic. There is a problem with package filtering: non-U++ applications don`t have CONSOLE_APP_MAIN/GUI_APP_MAIN functions. So every time you start TheIDE it takes mauch time to load sources package, because you have to click "All packages" and wait for ALL packages to be read (it`s all your packeges + everything in uppsrc + bazaar). Then you have to find your package among all this list, which is not comfortable at all.
Re: Filtering packages problem? [message #21094 is a reply to message #18894] Sun, 03 May 2009 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cocob is currently offline  cocob
Experienced Member
I don't think the filter is base on GUI_APP_MAIN and CONSOLE_APP_MAIN. I think it checks if there is mainconfig on the .upp file. I have no problems with it.

mainconfig
"" = ""

cocob
Re: Filtering packages problem? [message #21101 is a reply to message #21094] Sun, 03 May 2009 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

I think manually changing text file to have package shown in the list is not the best way to make work with non-U++ projects comfortable. But still this may be my mistake as creating non-U++ projects automatically adds "" = "" to .upp

[Updated on: Sun, 03 May 2009 22:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Filtering packages problem? [message #21102 is a reply to message #21101] Sun, 03 May 2009 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
You can add main configuration by clicking on configuration field in toolbar, or Project/Main configuration.

Once package has at least one main configuration entry (and it can in fact be empty, which designates simple console apps), it is listed in initial "Select package" dialog.

If you use predefined application template, it will do it for you.

Mirek
Re: Filtering packages problem? [message #21103 is a reply to message #21102] Sun, 03 May 2009 22:40 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
P.S.: It is really unrelated to GUI_APP_MAIN and CONSOLE_APP_MAIN. They are not used in this process.
Previous Topic: Problem trying to run the example package OleCalc
Next Topic: packages, sub packages and big projects
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:19:06 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01832 seconds