FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Core » streaming [FEATURE REQUEST]
streaming [FEATURE REQUEST] [message #19337] Thu, 27 November 2008 18:38 Go to next message
amando1957 is currently offline  amando1957
The String's are claimed to be fit for binary data, but do not provide the operator%.
The FileOut have got a Put(), but do not provide the operator<<.

Would not it be the best when String and FileOut both herit the << and %?
Alternative FileOut could get a constructor which allows to select binary or text, and also Little or Big Endian, which IMHO depends of the file format written.

Martin
Re: streaming [FEATURE REQUEST] [message #19348 is a reply to message #19337] Fri, 28 November 2008 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
amando1957 wrote on Thu, 27 November 2008 12:38

The String's are claimed to be fit for binary data, but do not provide the operator%.

You can use StringStream.

The problem is that for String, it would to weird to support bidirectional operator%.

Using StringStream is almost as simple as using String proper.

(But you sent me thinking - maybe only the output is what we need there, right?).

Quote:

It does.

Quote:

Alternative FileOut could get a constructor which allows to select binary or text

And that would do what? Convert '\n' to "\r\n" on Windows?

BTW, such thing is extremely constly in terms of performance in certain scenarios.

Quote:

, and also Little or Big Endian, which IMHO depends of the file format written.

IMO it is more logical to use specific Putn[le|be]. LE/BE is usually not a variable for given file format.

Mirek
Re: streaming [FEATURE REQUEST] [message #19361 is a reply to message #19348] Fri, 28 November 2008 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Mirek

Quote:

You can use StringStream.

Thank you.

Quote:

maybe only the output is what we need there, right?

Yes, I consider string to be an outstream. String could also get a saveAs() function, then the FileOut would even get obsolete, for text.

Quote:

Quote:

It does.

Excuse me, my mistake. I have overlooked.

Quote:

Quote:

Alternative FileOut could get a constructor which allows to select binary or text

And that would do what?

Would save it as binary file or as text file ("wt" or "wb" with FILE pointer), no matter which operator was used for filling. At Windows there are both possible (unlike Linux I've heard).

Quote:

Convert '\n' to "\r\n" on Windows?

at Windows I have always written \n to a text file and never had a problem, thus I don't see the need for.

Quote:

IMO it is more logical to use specific Putn[le|be].

Do not know what you mean with Putn[le|be].

Quote:

LE/BE is usually not a variable for given file format.

Hmmm, I am pretty sure it is. For a *.wav (LE) I need to write/read the low byte first, for a *.mid (BE) at last.
Now its not a problem to sort that myself and push the single bytes then. It would be just more convenient to put a dword LE or BE like:
StringStream binData(LE).
dword d = 0xAA2244FF;
binData % d;

But its your business of course how you make it ultimatly.

kind greets
Martin
Re: streaming [FEATURE REQUEST] [message #19363 is a reply to message #19361] Fri, 28 November 2008 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

Would save it as binary file or as text file ("wt" or "wb" with FILE pointer), no matter which operator was used for filling. At Windows there are both possible (unlike Linux I've heard).

Yeah, but what is the difference?

There is no "wt" or "wb" in Linux, because in Linux there is no difference at all. In Windows, the difference is only in resolving that stupid '\r' issue. In U++, that is succesfully hidden by GetLine usually.

Quote:

Do not know what you mean with Putn[le|be].

Put32le, Get32be etc...

[quote]
Quote:

LE/BE is usually not a variable for given file format.

Hmmm, I am pretty sure it is. For a *.wav (LE) I need to write/read the low byte first, for a *.mid (BE) at last.
[/quoute]

Variable = can be different for one format. It is either one or another (usually based on what system the format has emerged. Amiga / Mac orginated formats tend to be BE, PC formats LE).

There are of course exception to this rule, some formats can e.g. have flags that resolves this.

Quote:

StringStream binData(LE).
dword d = 0xAA2244FF;
binData % d;

But its your business of course how you make it ultimatly.

You should never read 'public' file formats using serialization, the way how things are serialized is "implementation detail".

Use those Getn[le|be] instead.

Mirek
Re: streaming [FEATURE REQUEST] [message #19379 is a reply to message #19363] Sat, 29 November 2008 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Mirek,

Quote:

If it is text I can open it with the editor, otherwise not.

Thank you for the hints.
Martin
Re: streaming [FEATURE REQUEST] [message #19380 is a reply to message #19379] Sat, 29 November 2008 19:55 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
amando1957 wrote on Sat, 29 November 2008 13:40

Hi Mirek,

Quote:

If it is text I can open it with the editor, otherwise not.

Actually, only as long as "editor" is notepad.exe. Other editors (including everything in U++) are able to deal with just '\n' instead of "\r\n" just fine.

BTW, U++ policy is to generate "\r\n" on output (but with the code) and ignore '\r' on input...

Mirek
Previous Topic: [Solved] Any::dtor fails after it is picked
Next Topic: [BUG] resolving program's file name for debug output
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 22:22:49 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01671 seconds