Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: CodeEditor, Assist++, Topic++ » Fold/Unfold in code editor [FEATURE REQUEST]
Fold/Unfold in code editor [FEATURE REQUEST] [message #1970] Wed, 29 March 2006 02:35 Go to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Fold/Unfold in code editor

[Updated on: Tue, 02 May 2006 04:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #1980 is a reply to message #1970] Wed, 29 March 2006 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pivica is currently offline  pivica
That would be very nice.
Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #1984 is a reply to message #1980] Wed, 29 March 2006 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

That would be nice, but frankly in editors that have this feature I dont use it...

IMHO much more useful are blocked opertations..

This is my private editor wishlist (lower number - greater priority)

1. Parsing of external headers in assist++
2. Block operations (in the same way ultraedit does them)
3. Syntax highlighting for xml, html, css..
4. list of edited files placed in tabctrl together with workspace pane
5. As an addition to this tabctrl I would like to have 'go to symbol or definition'
6. Multiline tabs

*4,5 - I think this two can be merged into one pane divided as current workspace pane. At the top there are listed opened files, at bottom there are listed symbols of active file.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 March 2006 12:27]

Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #1988 is a reply to message #1984] Wed, 29 March 2006 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
unodgs wrote on Wed, 29 March 2006 11:26

That would be nice, but frankly in editors that have this feature I dont use it...

I always use Code::Blocks for editing in parralel with Ultimate++. Especially, if I need to navigate through a lot of big files, its various folding/unfolding options are excellent.
Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #1991 is a reply to message #1988] Wed, 29 March 2006 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
fudadmin wrote on Wed, 29 March 2006 06:19

I always use Code::Blocks for editing in parralel with Ultimate++. Especially, if I need to navigate through a lot of big files, its various folding/unfolding options are excellent.

BTW, how are you using it?

I suspect that you are folding all function bodies, right?

Mirek
Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #1992 is a reply to message #1984] Wed, 29 March 2006 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
Quote:

Yeah, same here. Slickedit has code folding and I've used it about once. Could depend on the type of work you're doing I guess but I suspect it's a little overrated and doesn't help productivity much - unlike word completion ...

Graeme
Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #1996 is a reply to message #1991] Wed, 29 March 2006 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
luzr wrote on Wed, 29 March 2006 12:43

BTW, how are you using it?

I suspect that you are folding all function bodies, right?

Mirek

Yes. And classes or "if", "for", "ifdef's" etc. Then it has alternate...
Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #1997 is a reply to message #1996] Wed, 29 March 2006 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
especially usefull when some people put several hundred lines licenses in each file! while the file contains 1 line of code...
Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #1998 is a reply to message #1997] Wed, 29 March 2006 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
fudadmin wrote on Wed, 29 March 2006 07:03

especially usefull when some people put several hundred lines licenses in each file! while the file contains 1 line of code...

Well, at least you cannot blame me of that Wink

(I hate that a lot...)

Mirek
Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #1999 is a reply to message #1988] Wed, 29 March 2006 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Try to use 'Go to line or symbol'. I have a F2 shortcut for it. I think it's better than code folding. You don't have to scroll text view and expand the proper method. You just type the piece of mehtod/symbol name and press enter..
Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #2000 is a reply to message #1992] Wed, 29 March 2006 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

gprentice wrote on Wed, 29 March 2006 06:48

Quote:

Yeah, same here. Slickedit has code folding and I've used it about once. Could depend on the type of work you're doing I guess but I suspect it's a little overrated and doesn't help productivity much - unlike word completion ...

Graeme

You mean dynamically opened popup window during typing with all matched variables/method names? (like in visual assist?)
Yes that would be cool.
Current "ctrl+," is too limited as it only displays names found before cursor.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 March 2006 14:56]

Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #2001 is a reply to message #1999] Wed, 29 March 2006 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
unodgs wrote on Wed, 29 March 2006 13:49

Try to use 'Go to line or symbol'. I have a F2 shortcut for it. I think it's better than code folding. You don't have to scroll text view and expand the proper method. You just type the piece of mehtod/symbol name and press enter..

Ctrl-G shortcut is OK for me.

But how do you navigate comfortably when people put tons of "#ifdefs", which you don't need, without folding?
Edit: Especially, inside e.g "for" loops...
Edit2: and endless comments with their life stories and e-mail discussions... Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 29 March 2006 15:42]

Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #2010 is a reply to message #2001] Wed, 29 March 2006 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

Edit2: and endless comments with their life stories and e-mail discussions... Smile

off topic: Well, that is where my love for comments in the code comes from Smile (Although I agree that I might pushed that too far maybe Smile

Mirek

[Updated on: Wed, 29 March 2006 21:12]

Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #2028 is a reply to message #2000] Thu, 30 March 2006 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
unodgs wrote on Thu, 30 March 2006 00:55

You mean dynamically opened popup window during typing with all matched variables/method names? (like in visual assist?)
Yes that would be cool.
Current "ctrl+," is too limited as it only displays names found before cursor.

Hmmm, well I have to confess I didn't know "Ctrl+," was there coz I'm only just starting to play with the IDE a bit more right now - yeah, that's what I meant ... - it's a great feature - though I would like to be able to use Ctrl+, to step through the list of names instead of having to switch to a different key after pressing Ctrl+,

I haven't used Visual assist but the next release of Slickedit lets you select what type of things show up in the popup window - member names or just local context. It does let you search either forwards or backwards but I don't use forwards direction very often.

(It'll take a lot to drag me away from Slickedit though - jump to definition and pop back is just too useful Smile )

Graeme

[Updated on: Thu, 30 March 2006 08:53]

Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #2065 is a reply to message #2028] Fri, 31 March 2006 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

Hmmm, well I have to confess I didn't know "Ctrl+," was there

Come on, I have added it per your request.

Quote:

(It'll take a lot to drag me away from Slickedit though - jump to definition and pop back is just too useful Smile )

Jump: Alt+J, Alt+I
Pop back: Alt+Left (forward: Alt+Right)

Mirek
Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #2067 is a reply to message #2065] Fri, 31 March 2006 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Fri, 31 March 2006 20:36

Quote:

Hmmm, well I have to confess I didn't know "Ctrl+," was there

Come on, I have added it per your request.

Quote:

Jump: Alt+J, Alt+I

Mirek

I see Ctrl+, listed in the 12 Dec change list - well I was extremely busy then and didn't notice.

I suggest adding these items to the Assist++ topic and the "Keys" topic in TheIDE help. These are great features in my opinion and should be added to Ultimate++ highlights list. Ultimate++ is fast becoming an excellent editor.

I have a feeling I'm going to look into extending the scripting capability and key rebinding - to list some other things I would like Smile

Graeme
Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #2068 is a reply to message #2067] Fri, 31 March 2006 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Quote:

I have a feeling I'm going to look into extending the scripting capability and key rebinding

Oops, you can rebind most keys - forgot about that ...
Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #2069 is a reply to message #2068] Fri, 31 March 2006 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

This might have been suggested already, but in case not, with "navigate in the file" (Ctrl G), a possibility is to allow selection of what type of C++ elements are listed e.g. you might want to see only function names - many editors provide the ability to display a list of the names of functions in the current file so you can find a particular function quickly. It's probably true that variable and class definitions etc. would mostly come before function definitions in a source file (they usually do in my code) but this means scrolling down to see them (in the Ctrl G window). Also, ideally, it would be possible to have one "hot-key" that brings up the Ctrl G window with function definitions only and one that brings up everything (or whatever you last selected) or something or other ...

Graeme
Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #2070 is a reply to message #2065] Fri, 31 March 2006 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

[quote title=luzr wrote on Fri, 31 March 2006 03:36]
Quote:

Mirek

Smile I didn't know these two...
Re: Fold/Unfold in code editor [message #2071 is a reply to message #2069] Fri, 31 March 2006 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

gprentice wrote on Fri, 31 March 2006 05:05

This might have been suggested already, but in case not, with "navigate in the file" (Ctrl G), a possibility is to allow selection of what type of C++ elements are listed e.g. you might want to see only function names - many editors provide the ability to display a list of the names of functions in the current file so you can find a particular function quickly. It's probably true that variable and class definitions etc. would mostly come before function definitions in a source file (they usually do in my code) but this means scrolling down to see them (in the Ctrl G window). Also, ideally, it would be possible to have one "hot-key" that brings up the Ctrl G window with function definitions only and one that brings up everything (or whatever you last selected) or something or other ...

Graeme

There could be tabctrl in Ctrl G window with sheets:
all, functions, variables, classes..

PS: This is the good time to renew my request about 'tabbed'workspace. See attached screenshot to see what I mean (sorry for my terrible painting skills Wink )

Edit:
I moved the screenshot to "Tabbed workspaces..." topic (saving space Smile) fudadmin

[Updated on: Fri, 31 March 2006 13:55] by Moderator

Previous Topic: Change font color in tpp editor doesn't works
Next Topic: Nonsense code in compiling output messages
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:01:28 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01786 seconds