FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » workspace-like package
icon6.gif  workspace-like package [message #19785] Sun, 18 January 2009 20:45 Go to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
I'd like to create an UPP package, which works similar to Visual Studio workspace.

Example:

1) I have a package, which builds a DLL (has DLL as a target);
2) I have a package, which builds an executable, and I'd like to link this executable against DLL. Logical solution would be to add first package to "uses" of the second package because application uses the DLL, and let TheIDE manage the rest.

Unfortunately, this configuration doesn't seem to work. I either have to build each package separately (and manually add path and library name to the second package), or I need to link all as one piece (completely monolith application, no DLLs as modules).

Or, probably, I'm missing something in package-assembly-nest concept. Wink

TIA

Regards,
Novo
Re: workspace-like package [message #19959 is a reply to message #19785] Thu, 05 February 2009 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cocob is currently offline  cocob
Experienced Member
from my side this is a huge problem. I have tried a lot of workaround but
without success.
I really need a way to "use" a package build as shared lib and i will try to find a solution...

cocob
Re: workspace-like package [message #20124 is a reply to message #19785] Thu, 19 February 2009 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Sun, 18 January 2009 14:45

I'd like to create an UPP package, which works similar to Visual Studio workspace.

Example:

1) I have a package, which builds a DLL (has DLL as a target);
2) I have a package, which builds an executable, and I'd like to link this executable against DLL. Logical solution would be to add first package to "uses" of the second package because application uses the DLL, and let TheIDE manage the rest.

Unfortunately, this configuration doesn't seem to work. I either have to build each package separately (and manually add path and library name to the second package), or I need to link all as one piece (completely monolith application, no DLLs as modules).

Or, probably, I'm missing something in package-assembly-nest concept. Wink

TIA

The unsolved problem there is that it is perhaps a little bit hard to decide what package should be created as .dll in the current model.

I am thinking about the model of "multiple main packages" and one "supermain" (just to know which .exe should be executed), but it is hard to say if that would work well.

As there are still many other problems with .dll, I sort of hesitate to proceed. (And of course, I dislike .dlls as maintainance nightmare, but that is another topic Smile

Mirek

P.S.: Moving this to technology forum.

Re: workspace-like package [message #20137 is a reply to message #19785] Sat, 21 February 2009 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cocob is currently offline  cocob
Experienced Member
i hate dlls too but sometimes we delivers programs in dll form to customer it is important to be able to have an executable to test it.

You don't have to imagine a complicated build process with workspaces, main packages and supermain.... In my opinion, the only case to treat is this one. An exutable which use a dll (with DLL in main config for example). This flag must be use to build all packages required by the dll (to enable fPIC for GCC) and to use correct linker settings.

cocob
Re: workspace-like package [message #20141 is a reply to message #20137] Sat, 21 February 2009 17:28 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
cocob wrote on Sat, 21 February 2009 05:02

i hate dlls too but sometimes we delivers programs in dll form to customer it is important to be able to have an executable to test it.

You don't have to imagine a complicated build process with workspaces, main packages and supermain.... In my opinion, the only case to treat is this one. An exutable which use a dll (with DLL in main config for example). This flag must be use to build all packages required by the dll (to enable fPIC for GCC) and to use correct linker settings.

cocob

Not sure I see the difference w.r.t. current DLL main config flag...

Mirke
Previous Topic: The debugger crashed
Next Topic: General questions about Ultimate++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:38:29 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01684 seconds