Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: CodeEditor, Assist++, Topic++ » Please bring back drag'n'drop copy
Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21095] Sun, 03 May 2009 19:45 Go to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

TheIDE has nice behaviour to copy text: select text, pressing Ctrl, drag'n'drop text to destination, and it is copied.
But since one of the latest builds this feature is broken: text is no more moved (to be copied) while pressing Ctrl first. To copy, one should select text, then start dragging, then press Ctrl, then drop text,- a proccess is much less intuitive. Please bring default copying behaviour back.
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21104 is a reply to message #21095] Sun, 03 May 2009 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
OS?

Svn Head works in Win32.

1071 works in PCBSD (no time to check head).

Svn Head works in Ubuntu...

Mirek
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21105 is a reply to message #21104] Sun, 03 May 2009 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

WinXP SP2
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21106 is a reply to message #21105] Sun, 03 May 2009 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Mindtraveller

I have WinXP SP3 and it seems to work:

Select-Drag-Drop: moves
Select-Drag-Drop (with Ctrl in any time): copies

Best regards
Koldo

P.D.: I did not know about that option before your post!

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21111 is a reply to message #21106] Mon, 04 May 2009 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Strange. I`ve just checked again with Ctrl pressing BEFORE dragging - and it didn`t work!

P.S. It looks like TheIDE has vast sea of comfortable features less documented. For example, I`ve just discovered Shift+Tab - a wonderful thing to align blocks! As always U++ along with TheIDE is full of surprises Very Happy
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21114 is a reply to message #21111] Mon, 04 May 2009 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Mindtraveller

Double click so all the line is highlighted and select again to drag and drop.

Does it work?

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21116 is a reply to message #21114] Mon, 04 May 2009 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Double clicking the line with text doesn`t make this line selected (which TheIDE build are you using?) - for me it works only for empty line.

My config is: TheIDE 902r186, Windows XP Professional SP2.
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21117 is a reply to message #21111] Mon, 04 May 2009 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Mon, 04 May 2009 02:24

Strange. I`ve just checked again with Ctrl pressing BEFORE dragging - and it didn`t work!

Strange. Maybe the file is somehow specific?

Quote:

P.S. It looks like TheIDE has vast sea of comfortable features less documented. For example, I`ve just discovered Shift+Tab - a wonderful thing to align blocks! As always U++ along with TheIDE is full of surprises Very Happy

Actually, this one is documented... Smile

http://www.ultimatepp.org/app$ide$Keys$en-us.html

Anyway, I guess there is time to write some "tips" document of TheIDE.

Mirek
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21118 is a reply to message #21116] Mon, 04 May 2009 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Mon, 04 May 2009 03:57

Double clicking the line with text doesn`t make this line selected (which TheIDE build are you using?) - for me it works only for empty line.

Tripple-clicking does.

Quote:

My config is: TheIDE 902r186, Windows XP Professional SP2.

Well, "902r186" is no longer relevant - we are not updating "version.h" in svn at the moment (but it is something to consider).

If you are building from svn, please use svn revision number as reference.

Releases replace version.h with this svn rev number.

Mirek
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21144 is a reply to message #21118] Tue, 05 May 2009 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

luzr wrote on Mon, 04 May 2009 12:05

Well, "902r186" is no longer relevant - we are not updating "version.h" in svn at the moment (but it is something to consider).

Then it would be good to write SVN version number in About dialog (instead of deprecated ***r***) to avoid any confusion in future.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 May 2009 09:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21207 is a reply to message #21144] Sat, 09 May 2009 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Tue, 05 May 2009 03:35

luzr wrote on Mon, 04 May 2009 12:05

Then it would be good to write SVN version number in About dialog (instead of deprecated ***r***) to avoid any confusion in future.

I guess you are right.

I hoped for some automated solution.... Any suggestions? Smile

Mirek

[Updated on: Sat, 09 May 2009 17:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21209 is a reply to message #21095] Sat, 09 May 2009 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kodos is currently offline  kodos
Experienced Member
Not a solution, but I hope a link with the right informations Wink
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#version-value-in-sourc e
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21214 is a reply to message #21209] Sat, 09 May 2009 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Solution could be straightforward: SVN server could generate some file (like version.h with single line like "define UPP_REVISION 1153") which could be included into U++ and used.
This link proposes simple solution, but I don`t kknow if it can be applied to server: http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/how-to-add-revisi on-number-id-automatically-to-subversion-files-in-two-simple -steps/
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21225 is a reply to message #21214] Sun, 10 May 2009 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Sat, 09 May 2009 16:40

Solution could be straightforward: SVN server could generate some file (like version.h with single line like "define UPP_REVISION 1153") which could be included into U++ and used.
This link proposes simple solution, but I don`t kknow if it can be applied to server: http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/how-to-add-revisi on-number-id-automatically-to-subversion-files-in-two-simple -steps/

Sure, this what we use for releases.

Anyway, with svn itself the situation is a little bit more complex. I could do what you propose, BUT it would mean that each commit to svn would generate another revision just for the sake of fixing version.h (to commit changed version.h).

Another option is to add svnversion support to theide compile process.

I have to say neither option looks good enough for me now. Besides, is it so much hard to run svnversion on your trunk copy before posting a message here? Smile

(In any case, you should always check with svn head to find out whether the bug was not fixed meanwhile).

Anyway, back to the topic. Does DnD work for you now or not?

Mirek
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21229 is a reply to message #21225] Sun, 10 May 2009 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

No, it doesn`t.
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21231 is a reply to message #21229] Sun, 10 May 2009 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
OK. May I ask for some tests?

- DnD in some non-U++ app first, e.g. wordpad

- DnD in U++ editfields (E.g. in find dialog)

- DnD from theide to wordpad

- DnD from wordpad to theide

(For me, all of above works just fine..)

Mirek
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21232 is a reply to message #21231] Sun, 10 May 2009 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Ehm, now carefully rereading the first post, I see that maybe the problem is when you (can) press "Ctrl", is that correct?

Mirek
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21235 is a reply to message #21232] Sun, 10 May 2009 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Thank you for rereading initial post. I`ll detail what I mean.

Simple "moving" text works fine in any test case. The problem is specifically with cloning text. How do I used to clone text, by steps:
1. Select text
2. Hold Ctrl
3. Drag selected text (click + move)
4. Release Ctrl
5. Release left mouse button
The problem appeared in step (3), where in previous versions it was semi-transparent text with "+" sign at mouse cursor. Recently, at this step neither transparent text nor "+" is displayed. But the mouse cursor itself is changed as if I was dragging text (it is almost the same, but U++ DnD cursor has slightly more opaque shadow than native Windows` one).

Talking about the latest SVN version, after careful tests, I found following:
a) Cloning words/phrases became OK in all situations. The problem is with cloning with all the line selected (or a number of lines selected).
b) When I clone the line (after triple click or Shift+Down or mouse select - no difference), sometimes now it is cloned OK (previous version didn`t clone all the time). But sometimes (with about 50% probability) it fails to work the way I described above. And now failure is accompanied by interesting effect: at stage (4), when I release Ctrl, semitransparent text and "+" sign is appeared but disappeared after small period or after I move mouse button.

So, your tests:
1. OK
2. OK (!)
3. "sometimes fails" which is described above.
4. OK

I`ve uploaded video with DnD problem. Please notice rwo things in video:
1) each time I drag text, I press Ctrl first
2) Correct DnD mouse cursor is displayed highly minimized (a capture program bug).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wE27NHHa30
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21236 is a reply to message #21235] Sun, 10 May 2009 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Sun, 10 May 2009 08:04

Thank you for rereading initial post. I`ll detail what I mean.

Simple "moving" text works fine in any test case. The problem is specifically with cloning text. How do I used to clone text, by steps:
1. Select text
2. Hold Ctrl
3. Drag selected text (click + move)
4. Release Ctrl
5. Release left mouse button

Well, if you do this in this sequence, releasing Ctrl before left mouse button, it would not (and should not) work in any "conforming" Win32 app: operation is finished by releasing mouse button and actual Ctrl status at this point is what is relevant.

Quote:

The problem appeared in step (3), where in previous versions it was semi-transparent text with "+" sign at mouse cursor. Recently, at this step neither transparent text nor "+" is displayed. But the mouse cursor itself is changed as if I was dragging text (it is almost the same, but U++ DnD cursor has slightly more opaque shadow than native Windows` one).

Is in it possible that something has changed in your Win32 setup?

This almost sounds like visual glitch, like that mouse cursor is not correctly defined or composed or something...

Quote:

Talking about the latest SVN version, after careful tests, I found following:
a) Cloning words/phrases became OK in all situations. The problem is with cloning with all the line selected (or a number of lines selected).
b) When I clone the line (after triple click or Shift+Down or mouse select - no difference), sometimes now it is cloned OK (previous version didn`t clone all the time). But sometimes (with about 50% probability) it fails to work the way I described above. And now failure is accompanied by interesting effect: at stage (4), when I release Ctrl, semitransparent text and "+" sign is appeared but disappeared after small period or after I move mouse button.

Correctly as with correct mouse shape?

Quote:

1) each time I drag text, I press Ctrl first

Well, as I explained above, [+] there is only visual quide. It should change on pressing/releasing Ctrl. Operation is defined n mouse release.

Mirek
Re: Please bring back drag'n'drop copy [message #21237 is a reply to message #21235] Sun, 10 May 2009 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Sun, 10 May 2009 08:04

2) Correct DnD mouse cursor is displayed highly minimized (a capture program bug).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wE27NHHa30

Hm, there is obvious visual artifact there instead of correct cursor image!

What is your visual setup? (Videocard etc...)

Mirek
Previous Topic: TheIDE help keyword search calls Firefox
Next Topic: Naviagot bar: 1 issue, 1 suggestion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:40:57 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01357 seconds