Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Funny way how NOT to speedup sorting of small arrays
Funny way how NOT to speedup sorting of small arrays [message #19909] Sun, 01 February 2009 11:30 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, I got a nice idea that does not work, but I want to share anyway.

One of critical issues in polygon rasterizer (which I could not resist to work on in the end) is the scanline x positions sorting.

Usually the number of elements to sort is quite low. So I was thinking about optimizing selection sort:

template <class I, class Less>
inline I SelectMin2(I ptr, const Less& less)
{
	return less(ptr[0], ptr[1]) ? ptr : ptr + 1;
}

inline I SelectMin3(I ptr, const Less& less)
{
	I l = SelectMin2(ptr, less);
	I h = ptr + 2;
	return less(*l, *h) ? l : h;
}

inline I SelectMin4(I ptr, const Less& less)
{
	I l = SelectMin2(ptr, less);
	I h = SelectMin2(ptr + 2, less);
}

inline I SelectMin5(I ptr, const Less& less)
{
	I l = SelectMin4(ptr, less);
	I h = ptr + 4;
}

inline I SelectMin6(I ptr, const Less& less)
{
	I h = SelectMin2(ptr + 4, less);
}

inline I SelectMin7(I ptr, const Less& less)
{
	I h = SelectMin3(ptr + 4, less);
}

inline I SelectMin8(I ptr, const Less& less)
{
	I h = SelectMin4(ptr + 4, less);
}

inline I SelectMin9(I ptr, const Less& less)
{
	I l = SelectMin8(ptr, less);
	I h = ptr + 8;
}

inline I SelectMin10(I ptr, const Less& less)
{
	I h = SelectMin2(ptr + 8, less);
}

inline I SelectMin11(I ptr, const Less& less)
{
	I h = SelectMin3(ptr + 8, less);
}

inline I SelectMin12(I ptr, const Less& less)
{
	I h = SelectMin4(ptr + 8, less);
}

inline I SelectMin13(I ptr, const Less& less)
{
	I h = SelectMin5(ptr + 8, less);
}

inline I SelectMin14(I ptr, const Less& less)
{
	I h = SelectMin6(ptr + 8, less);
}

inline I SelectMin15(I ptr, const Less& less)
{
	I h = SelectMin7(ptr + 8, less);
}

inline I SelectMin16(I ptr, const Less& less)
{
	I h = SelectMin8(ptr + 8, less);
}

void FwSort(I begin, int len, const Less& less)
{
	switch(len) {
	case 16: IterSwap(begin, SelectMin16(begin, less)); begin++;
	case 15: IterSwap(begin, SelectMin15(begin, less)); begin++;
	case 14: IterSwap(begin, SelectMin14(begin, less)); begin++;
	case 13: IterSwap(begin, SelectMin13(begin, less)); begin++;
	case 12: IterSwap(begin, SelectMin12(begin, less)); begin++;
	case 11: IterSwap(begin, SelectMin11(begin, less)); begin++;
	case 10: IterSwap(begin, SelectMin10(begin, less)); begin++;
	case  9: IterSwap(begin, SelectMin9(begin, less)); begin++;
	case  8: IterSwap(begin, SelectMin8(begin, less)); begin++;
	case  7: IterSwap(begin, SelectMin7(begin, less)); begin++;
	case  6: IterSwap(begin, SelectMin6(begin, less)); begin++;
	case  5: IterSwap(begin, SelectMin5(begin, less)); begin++;
	case  4: IterSwap(begin, SelectMin4(begin, less)); begin++;
	case  3: IterSwap(begin, SelectMin3(begin, less)); begin++;
	case  2: IterSwap(begin, SelectMin2(begin, less));
	}
}

The final result: it works, but it is not faster than normal loop based sort:) Maybe if I could make C++ to emit CMOV, it would be better...

Mirek
Re: Funny way how NOT to speedup sorting of small arrays [message #19911 is a reply to message #19909] Sun, 01 February 2009 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

luzr wrote on Sun, 01 February 2009 13:30

One of critical issues in polygon rasterizer (which I could not resist to work on in the end)
Mirek, so you started working on image<->polygon converter as polygonized Da Vinci`s Mona Liza you`ve shown some time ago? Smile
Re: Funny way how NOT to speedup sorting of small arrays [message #19912 is a reply to message #19911] Sun, 01 February 2009 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Sun, 01 February 2009 10:59

luzr wrote on Sun, 01 February 2009 13:30

One of critical issues in polygon rasterizer (which I could not resist to work on in the end)
Mirek, so you started working on image<->polygon converter as polygonized Da Vinci`s Mona Liza you`ve shown some time ago? Smile

Well, I rather got tired of AGG bugs, design problems and limitations and (re)started new 2D sw renderer ("Painter 2.0") from scratch. Smile

But heavily mining AGG sources - but I feel no shame, as AGG heavily mined others - it is actually funny to trace the code back - the bread and butter of AGG, antialiased polygon renderer, is based on Freetype code, which in turn is based on LibArt code.

That said, I am not sure whether the polygon rasterizing algorithm was invented by Raph Levien of LibArt, but if it was, he is really really smart guy.

Mirek
Re: Funny way how NOT to speedup sorting of small arrays [message #19916 is a reply to message #19909] Sun, 01 February 2009 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I think with 10+ elements already quicksort can pay off. A well implemented quicksort will not hurt even with 2-3 elements that much.

Then the question is also, what do you sort, and how much the data can be pre-sorted already, in such case you can either avoid sort at all, or bubble sort can yield best results if every element is already close to it's sorted order position.
Re: Funny way how NOT to speedup sorting of small arrays [message #19917 is a reply to message #19916] Sun, 01 February 2009 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Sun, 01 February 2009 14:13

I think with 10+ elements already quicksort can pay off.

In U++, we maintain 16 as threshold.

Quote:

A well implemented quicksort will not hurt even with 2-3 elements that much.

There is only so much you can do with plain quicksort. All real quicksort algorithms switch to selection sort or insert sort when subsequence goes under certain threshold. It makes it quite faster.

Thus, if I could invent some faster variant for up to 16 elements, we would have a huge win...

Mirek
Re: Funny way how NOT to speedup sorting of small arrays [message #21280 is a reply to message #19909] Mon, 11 May 2009 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piotr5 is currently offline  piotr5
Experienced Member
I really am no expert in this sorting-thing, but I guess the real advantage of the sort-algorithm in this thread is that one can easily paralellize it. as far as I remember mmx had some possibility to sort aribatry bytes with this method in paralell: each 64-bit register can hold 8 bytes, and so comparing 2 registers will sort up to 16 bytes in a few assembler-mmx-commands. naturally larger values require more registers. of course with only 16 values starting a seperate thread (on some other processor or multicore) is quite an overhead, the same with switching from float to mmx on my amd. but if the overhead has already been taken of...
Re: Funny way how NOT to speedup sorting of small arrays [message #22880 is a reply to message #19917] Mon, 24 August 2009 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

luzr wrote on Mon, 02 February 2009 00:06

mr_ped wrote on Sun, 01 February 2009 14:13

I think with 10+ elements already quicksort can pay off.

In U++, we maintain 16 as threshold.

Quote:

A well implemented quicksort will not hurt even with 2-3 elements that much.

There is only so much you can do with plain quicksort. All real quicksort algorithms switch to selection sort or insert sort when subsequence goes under certain threshold. It makes it quite faster.

Thus, if I could invent some faster variant for up to 16 elements, we would have a huge win...

Mirek

Founded on Wikipedia that one of the fasted sorting algorithm of small number of elements is Shell sort.

Here is another interesting article of sorting.
Ion Lupascu (tojocky)

[Updated on: Mon, 24 August 2009 17:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Funny way how NOT to speedup sorting of small arrays [message #22929 is a reply to message #22880] Sat, 29 August 2009 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I'm not sure how this would look like:

16 elements means 4x4 table. sorting each column iteratively means splitting it up into 2x2 tables and combining them into a 4-row column. however, with 9 elements to sort one could make a 3x3 table and sort each column with 3-4 comparisons instead of 1 comparison and a whole insert-sort of the 3 elements along with the whole overhead of it. also, after sorting the 4 columns, what next? should it now be 2x8 or 3x6 or immediately insertion-sort? according to the article it must be insertion-sort, but maybe in this particular case 2x8 would be better? and what to start with? when is 3x6 better than 4x4? what about 5x4?

sorry for the rant, I would be interested in some input though.
meanwhile I will do some testing...
Re: Funny way how NOT to speedup sorting of small arrays [message #22937 is a reply to message #19909] Mon, 31 August 2009 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
a small update since I wont get the time to make a full test:

with my particular test-data I can only confirm that nothing can drastically outperform a simple sort-loop. (i.e. exchange the minimum with the first element, and continue without that first element.) only through full speed-optimization the divide-and-conquer search for a minimum can really keep up with the loop. especially shell-search isn't much faster than even bubble-sort (all that with sorting only 16 integers)! however, with a trick I managed to find a sorting-algorithm which is about twice as fast: insert-sort. insert-sort in combination with binary search and a mem-copy for the insertion is faster (with my particular test-data) than any of them. it isn't much, but it's noticable. unfortunately memcpy() isn't fair since it doesn't take care of any pick-beaurocracy -- but it certainly is faster than any piece-by-piece swapping or shifting.

in my previous message I said something which is wrong: Rolling Eyes
shell-sort is done by applying insert-sort, and not
as I said by recursively applying the same method.
recursive shell-sort would only re-do what has already
been done in the previous step!
Re: Funny way how NOT to speedup sorting of small arrays [message #22955 is a reply to message #22937] Wed, 02 September 2009 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
piotr5 wrote on Sun, 30 August 2009 19:38

insert-sort in combination with binary search and a mem-copy for the insertion is faster (with my particular test-data) than any of them. it isn't much, but it's noticable. unfortunately memcpy() isn't fair since it doesn't take care of any pick-beaurocracy -- but it certainly is faster than any piece-by-piece swapping or shifting.

Well, but it IS compatible with Moveable.

Actually, this is an interesting point w.r.t. to moving some of algorithms to containers. Obviously, if Sort would be Vector's method, it would be OK for it to use memmove...

Mirek
Re: Funny way how NOT to speedup sorting of small arrays [message #22959 is a reply to message #22955] Wed, 02 September 2009 20:33 Go to previous message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

Also it would be easier to use and learn. Rolling Eyes
Previous Topic: 1538 compilation fails
Next Topic: German language added to Docking.t of bazar/Docking
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:26:36 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01951 seconds