FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » 32 bit .deb releases
32 bit .deb releases [message #23830] Wed, 25 November 2009 10:12 Go to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello all

I would like to submit periodically .deb files for 32 bit platforms. I think it is very interesting.

Unfortunately I do not know how to do it. Sad

Could somebody lend Smile me some script file or something similar to prepare .deb file ?.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: 32 bit .deb releases [message #23833 is a reply to message #23830] Wed, 25 November 2009 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

koldo wrote on Wed, 25 November 2009 11:12

Hello all

I would like to submit periodically .deb files for 32 bit platforms. I think it is very interesting.

Unfortunately I do not know how to do it. Sad

Could somebody lend Smile me some script file or something similar to prepare .deb file ?.

Best regards
Koldo

In svn repository you can find script files in direcotry "linux_scripts".

Before of all read file "Readme"!

Ion Lupascu.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 November 2009 13:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 32 bit .deb releases [message #23930 is a reply to message #23833] Sat, 05 December 2009 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Ion

I have tried them but without success.

Beginning with dosvn I get: 53: Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "then"). I do not know script but the source does not seem to be wrong Sad

I have tried to run other scripts called from dosvn like idebuild and I get different errors.

Does anybody has tried them ?

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: 32 bit .deb releases [message #23931 is a reply to message #23930] Sat, 05 December 2009 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

koldo wrote on Sat, 05 December 2009 15:04

Hello Ion

Beginning with dosvn I get: 53: Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "then"). I do not know script but the source does not seem to be wrong Sad

I have tried to run other scripts called from dosvn like idebuild and I get different errors.

Best regards
Koldo

Hi Koldo,

I've just tried to make a .deb using dosvn script without any problems. I even checked the source of the scripts and they do look OK. It's hard to believe that your bash is wrong, so the only reason I see that might cause this, is that the file is corrupted... But it's also possible that I'm missing something Smile

Regards,
Honza

PS: A loosely related sidenote: I tried to install the .deb I made and realized that it "requires" several packages I don't have installed (like libgtk2.0-dev). I was happily using upp for many months without it (using .NOGTK flag), so it's not really requirement. I suggest to make the package "recommend" it instead. Also g++ is not really needed to run theide...
Re: 32 bit .deb releases [message #23932 is a reply to message #23931] Sat, 05 December 2009 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
dolik.rce wrote on Sat, 05 December 2009 20:13

koldo wrote on Sat, 05 December 2009 15:04

Hello Ion

Best regards
Koldo

Hi Koldo,

I've just tried to make a .deb using dosvn script without any problems. I even checked the source of the scripts and they do look OK. It's hard to believe that your bash is wrong, so the only reason I see that might cause this, is that the file is corrupted... But it's also possible that I'm missing something Smile

Regards,
Honza

PS: A loosely related sidenote: I tried to install the .deb I made and realized that it "requires" several packages I don't have installed (like libgtk2.0-dev). I was happily using upp for many months without it (using .NOGTK flag), so it's not really requirement. I suggest to make the package "recommend" it instead. Also g++ is not really needed to run theide...

Hello Honza,
We introduced gtk+ dependency because people expect to compile and run U++ examples unmodified(without flagNOGTK). g++ is not required to run theIDE but is a requirement to compile U++ examples and because the package doesn't install just theIDE executable but entire U++ framework, I think it's normal to provide g++ as a requirement and not as a recommended package else we have to split package in theIDE package and U++ development package and I think it's not what Mirek and others developers want and without a compiler what you'll do with theIDE?

Andrei
Re: 32 bit .deb releases [message #23933 is a reply to message #23932] Sat, 05 December 2009 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

andrei_natanael wrote on Sat, 05 December 2009 19:31

Hello Honza,
We introduced gtk+ dependency because people expect to compile and run U++ examples unmodified(without flagNOGTK). g++ is not required to run theIDE but is a requirement to compile U++ examples and because the package doesn't install just theIDE executable but entire U++ framework, I think it's normal to provide g++ as a requirement and not as a recommended package else we have to split package in theIDE package and U++ development package and I think it's not what Mirek and others developers want and without a compiler what you'll do with theIDE?

Andrei

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for reply... I understand your opinion and it's perfectly reasonable. But with all respect I still have some objections. Let me first quote debian site about package management:
  • "Depends" This declares an absolute dependency and all of the packages listed in this field must be installed at the same time or in advance.
  • "Recommends" This declares a strong, but not absolute, dependency. Most users would not want the package unless all of the packages listed in this field are installed.
  • "Suggests" This declares a weak dependency. Many users of this package may benefit from installing packages listed in this field but can have reasonable functions without them.

All the programs I know (aptitude, synaptic and gdebi) install recommended packages by default without asking. So for average user, "recommend" means basicaly the same as "depend". But for me (and probably other people who are trying to keep their system clean and small) "depend" means installing unnecessary stuff. Just to illustrate the situation: my system consist of less than 900 packages, installation of upp asked me for additional 40...

There is no need to split the package in two (and I would vote against too). Concerning the compiler dependency: g++ is just a virtual package. It might be a bit nonstandard, but I have installed GNU compilers but not the virtual package g++. Also other people might wish to use different compilers (e.g. for cross-compiling).

Anyway, I apologize, this is bit off-topic from Koldos post. If there's any more discussion in this direction, it should probably be moved in separate thread...

Best regards,
Honza
Re: 32 bit .deb releases [message #23934 is a reply to message #23933] Sat, 05 December 2009 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
Hi Zonda,
(last off-topic message, so no need to split the thread)
You are right about that so feel free to modify build scripts and when you have a working package which use Debian recommendations and a working patch for it, commit the patch or send it to Mirek or me or other developer.

Andrei

P.S.: I know I have only to introduce Recommends field and move packages names from Depends to it but I'm too lazy to do it now Wink
Re: 32 bit .deb releases [message #23935 is a reply to message #23934] Sun, 06 December 2009 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
raxvan is currently offline  raxvan
andrei_natanael wrote on Sat, 05 December 2009 22:22

Hi Zonda,
(last off-topic message, so no need to split the thread)
You are right about that so feel free to modify build scripts and when you have a working package which use Debian recommendations and a working patch for it, commit the patch or send it to Mirek or me or other developer.

Andrei

P.S.: I know I have only to introduce Recommends field and move packages names from Depends to it but I'm too lazy to do it now Wink

I use Ubuntu 9.10 and to install Upp i used the Fedora rpm.
`alien` will convert the rpm to a deb.

For me work without any problems and the ide is working exactly as the windows version.

92b48bf94855483bb4cec8bcc8c0c933
Re: 32 bit .deb releases [message #23940 is a reply to message #23935] Tue, 08 December 2009 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Honza

I follow getting this error:

dosvn: 53: Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting "then")

The script is:

#!/bin/bash
# dosvn
# quick go to create deb package from local svn repo
#
#################################################################
#		REPLACE VALUES WITH YOUR OWN			#
# SVN repository full path
SVN_REPO="/media/cofs2/Desarrollo/upp"
#
# Destination path for generated debian
DEST_PATH="/media/cofs2/Desarrollo/upp"
#
# Mantainer name and email
export MAINTAINER="Massimo Del Fedele"
#
export EMAIL="max@veneto.com"
#################################################################
#
# checks if svn repo and destination path are ok
if [ ! -d $SVN_REPO/.svn ]
then
	echo "ERROR - SVN repository not found in '$SVN_REPO'"
	echo "Please modify current script to fit your Upp SVN repository path"
	exit 1
fi

if [ ! -d $DEST_PATH ]
then
	echo "ERROR - Invalid destinatio path '$DEST_PATH'"
	echo "Please modify current script to fit your destination path"
	exit 1
fi

#locates 'uppsvn2deb' script - first try on path
uppsvn2deb="`which uppsvn2deb`"
if [ x$uppsvn2deb = x ]
then
	# couldn't find it on path, just try on this script's path
	LSOF=$(lsof -p $$ 2>/dev/null | grep -E "/"$(basename $0)"$")
	uppsvn2deb=$(echo $LSOF | sed -r s/'^([^\/]+)\/'/'\/'/1 2>/dev/null)
	uppsvn2deb=$(dirname $uppsvn2deb)/uppsvn2deb
fi
if [ ! -f $uppsvn2deb ]
then
	echo "ERROR - Could not find 'uppsvn2deb' script"
	echo "Please check if it's on current path"
	exit 1
fi

#just run uppsvn2deb with my params
$uppsvn2deb $SVN_REPO $DEST_PATH

Could you help me ?

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: 32 bit .deb releases [message #23941 is a reply to message #23940] Wed, 09 December 2009 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

koldo wrote on Tue, 08 December 2009 20:46

Could you help me ?

Best regards
Koldo

Hi Koldo,
I would like to help you, I'm just not sure how Smile
The script is absolutely the same as I was using. So there must be some difference in how is it handled. What distro do you use? And what shell (version)? I always thougth that bash should behave in the same way everywhere, but it seems like I was wrong (again) Very Happy

Just a wild guess: try running something as simple as
if [ -d /media ]; then; echo "OK"; fi 
in your terminal. The error message sound like the problem is in the if part...

One last question: can you try on some other machine?

Regards,
Honza

PS: I almost forgot... Try to run the script in debug mode:
bash -x ./dosvn
That might help us a lot Wink
Re: 32 bit .deb releases [message #23955 is a reply to message #23941] Wed, 09 December 2009 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Honza

I have tried this:

if [ -d /media ]; then; echo "OK"; fi 

and I get:

Quote:

upp/linux_scripts$ bash -x ./text
./text: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
./text: line 1: `if [ -d /media ]; then; echo "OK"; fi '

I am working in an Ubuntu 9.04.

When doing the same in "doSvnKoldo" I get:

Quote:

+ uppsvn2deb=/media/cofs2/Desarrollo/upp/linux_scripts/dosvnKo ldo
++ dirname /media/cofs2/Desarrollo/upp/linux_scripts/dosvnKoldo
+ uppsvn2deb=/media/cofs2/Desarrollo/upp/linux_scripts/uppsvn2 deb
+ '[' '!' -f /media/cofs2/Desarrollo/upp/linux_scripts/uppsvn2deb ']'
+ /media/cofs2/Desarrollo/upp/linux_scripts/uppsvn2deb /media/cofs2/Desarrollo/upp /media/cofs2/Desarrollo/upp
./dosvnKoldo: line 51: /media/cofs2/Desarrollo/upp/linux_scripts/uppsvn2deb: Permission denied

But if I try to run directly in the console the last line:

Quote:

bash uppsvn2deb /media/cofs2/Desarrollo/upp /media/cofs2/Desarrollo/upp

It runs Smile (until next error Sad), so it seem commands like:

$uppsvn2deb $SVN_REPO $DEST_PATH

are not executed well by bash.

What do you think ?

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: 32 bit .deb releases [message #23976 is a reply to message #23955] Sun, 13 December 2009 21:28 Go to previous message
Senior Veteran
Hello all

From the original set of scripts made by mdelfede (Massimo), dolik.rce (Honza) has prepared an only script (dvn+stable included) that works well for my Ubuntus and also from an empty system, so thanks to them I am happy to close this topic Smile (from my side)

From now on there will be 32 bits .deb files in the SourceForge releases (every 2-3 weeks).

Best regards and thanks to Massimo and Honza
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: Speller dictionaries...
Next Topic: .deb libnotify-dev warning!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:17:22 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01782 seconds