Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Upp meeting on next Tuesday 12
Re: Upp meeting on next Tuesday 12 [message #24379 is a reply to message #24303] Wed, 13 January 2010 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Some notes to/from first meeting:
- we should probably focus a bit on "discipline", i.e.:
* making the meeting from 20:30UTC (optional) with "official" part starting at 21:00UTC, expected end of official part 22:00UTC and no delays allowed.
* a moderator during official hours
* some agenda for official part, if desirable, so everybody can prepare some notes beforehand

During first meeting we did end talking about our biggest personal issues, and just so so managed to listen to everyone, so while I don't like discipline too much, to make these meetings as effective as possible we should maybe look into it a bit.

- we should do these meetings regularly, like every 2 weeks, and rotate main official theme. I mean something like:
* biggest personal issues
* biggest bugs/problems/deficiencies in library code (similar to previous, but focused on direct code fixing)
* well defined (easy to moderate) quests for volunteers which would help project immediately
* things done since previous meeting (connected to previous)
* best dev practices, development techniques, new trends, how U++ does cope with them, how to use U++ effectively, etc...
* daydreaming and future guessing, i.e. what would you like to happen in next years with U++
* [added during edit] one man show - somebody would do basically a presentation/training on some interesting topic (although IRC is not very good platform for that)

What do you think about it? I think it would allow us to focus on the similar things together, which IMHO should be more effective then random chitchat talking.
And if you like it, what's the best theme for next meeting? (I would probably choose to define quests for volunteers or development practices discussion)

- I'm looking forward for summary, the meeting did fly by so fast I have problems to recall everything from it, it was quite intensive and packed with information. Smile Good job everyone.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 January 2010 10:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upp meeting on next Tuesday 12 [message #24380 is a reply to message #24378] Wed, 13 January 2010 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
cbpporter wrote on Wed, 13 January 2010 09:57

Well I couldn't connect neither with mIRC nor Opera's incorporated IRC chat. Using the web interface I had more luck, but by the time I managed this it was 23 UTC. I was the only one in the room, and later I was 3 times at the same time in the room with random names generated by the interface Smile. How long was the meeting?

I'm pretty sure there were at least 4 people there at 23 UTC. I did left the channel just before 00 UTC.
So something went wrong? Different server? Let's try it before second meeting, so you are ready then Smile. (get somebody on IM probably to help you, I'm on jabber (google talk), ICQ and skype, write me PM if you wish)
Re: Upp meeting on next Tuesday 12 [message #24385 is a reply to message #24380] Wed, 13 January 2010 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrjt is currently offline  mrjt
Contributor
I like the idea of a general topic for each meeting, it would make it more coherent and 'in-depth'. Only problem is that for someone not interested in that topic there would be little incentive to attend, so maybe also have some time for a general discussion too.

A moderator is also a good idea, maybe on rotation. He could prevent the discussion from going off on tangents and at the end of the meeting offer a summary/conclusion.

And why not say 'official' meeting every 2 weeks. Other week can be a time for unoffical chatting/organising of projects etc. for anyone who is there.

Not bad for a first meeting though. It was fun to chat in real-time and I look forward to the next one at an earlier time (so my girlfriend doesn't tell me off for coming to bed late! Smile)
Re: Upp meeting on next Tuesday 12 [message #24407 is a reply to message #24303] Fri, 15 January 2010 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello all

In this page you can find the meeting minute and the meeting agenda for next meeting on January 26.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2KJA8BmYq-CYTU2OWM2ODctZGJ iNy00ZTg3LTk0NGUtMjgxYzMxYTg5YjE4&hl=en

The reason to put them there has been:
- It lets to share a formated text
- It lets to be modified

Specially the meeting agenda is open for you to add and modify issues. Please mail me for edit permission. If you have problems I can enter them for you.

Proposals for next meeting to underline are:
- Duration 1 hour
- To include at the end a technical presentation (uno is invited Smile )
- To do the meeting minute during the meeting, using a collaborative word processor like Google Docs

If there are things you are not agree lets discuss and fix them. If they are not simple please put them in next meeting.

Meeting agenda is a dynamic text that would have to be in a collaborative place. However meeting minute perhaps could be hosted in Upp page.

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Upp meeting on next Tuesday 12 [message #24502 is a reply to message #24407] Thu, 21 January 2010 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
koldo wrote on Fri, 15 January 2010 00:01

Hello all

In this page you can find the meeting minute and the meeting agenda for next meeting on January 26.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2KJA8BmYq-CYTU2OWM2ODctZGJ iNy00ZTg3LTk0NGUtMjgxYzMxYTg5YjE4&hl=en

The reason to put them there has been:
- It lets to share a formated text
- It lets to be modified

Specially the meeting agenda is open for you to add and modify issues. Please mail me for edit permission. If you have problems I can enter them for you.

Proposals for next meeting to underline are:
- Duration 1 hour
- To include at the end a technical presentation (uno is invited Smile )
- To do the meeting minute during the meeting, using a collaborative word processor like Google Docs

If there are things you are not agree lets discuss and fix them. If they are not simple please put them in next meeting.

Meeting agenda is a dynamic text that would have to be in a collaborative place. However meeting minute perhaps could be hosted in Upp page.

Best regards
Koldo

Hello all

Meeting Minute has been updated. Added subjects and moderator (mr_ped).

In addition, Unodgs is almost convinced to answer questions about his packages Smile.

There have been complaints as to edit in Google Docs a Google account is necessary, and not everyone wants to.

I agree but I do not know any other free internet document editing system. If somebody propose a nicer place I would move the files immediately.

Other comments are that some people does not want Meeting Minutes, Agendas and things like this, just a time and a place to chat about U++. What do you think about it ?

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki

[Updated on: Thu, 21 January 2010 12:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upp meeting on next Tuesday 12 [message #24503 is a reply to message #24502] Thu, 21 January 2010 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

koldo wrote on Thu, 21 January 2010 12:17

Other comments are that some people does not want Meeting Minutes, Agendas and things like this, just a time and a place to chat about U++. What do you think about it ?

Hi Koldo,

IMHO: Moderated discussion with agenda and all the related stuff is necessary if we want to use those meetings to solve problems and lay out direction for next development.

But I also believe that outside of these official meetings, anyone can chat about anything. There should be no problem to maintain the IRC room opened all the time (I can be there whenever I'm on-line, thats just few clicks in pidgin settings). Also unofficial meetings every other week as proposed by mrjt seem like a good idea to me.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Upp meeting on next Tuesday 12 [message #24507 is a reply to message #24503] Thu, 21 January 2010 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Honza

Quote:

But I also believe that outside of these official meetings, anyone can chat about anything. There should be no problem to maintain the IRC room opened all the time (I can be there whenever I'm on-line, thats just few clicks in pidgin settings).

Of course. It is like private messages (PM), but using chat.

Quote:

Also unofficial meetings every other week as proposed by mrjt seem like a good idea to me.

Me too. Really the goals are different:

- No agenda
An open chat to share ideas, like a brain storming

- Monothematic
To enter deep in one subject. For example: Upp and Mac OSX development

- With agenda
There are in the agenda the problem and probably some proposed solutions.
As there are only few minutes per subject, the attendees vote the solution.

The problem with chat meeting like IRC, ICQ, ets is that there are few time so or there are few subjects or few minutes per subject.

We would have to choose the kind of meeting before if we want to take advantage of the time and not being disappointed

Best regards
Koldo

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Upp meeting on next Tuesday 12 [message #24516 is a reply to message #24507] Thu, 21 January 2010 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Not sure where to post this, but one of biggest issues quoted in the last meeting was theide help system.

I have exploited some minutes when not skiing or too tired and asleep of skiing and tried to improve there. Searched words now are properly higlighted and there is up/down navigation for them.

I hope this is the step in the right direction.

More comments about meetings:

I believe that the date/time should be announced here.

I also think that maybe we should still have "general issues" part and also "report of progress" part of the meeting. Talk is cheap, let us show some code... Smile

Mirek
Re: Upp meeting on next Tuesday 12 [message #24521 is a reply to message #24516] Fri, 22 January 2010 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Quote:

Searched words now are properly higlighted and there is up/down navigation for them.

Great news !

Best regards
Iñaki
icon14.gif  Re: Upp meeting on next Tuesday 12 [message #24529 is a reply to message #24521] Fri, 22 January 2010 19:34 Go to previous message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Quote:

Searched words now are properly higlighted and there is up/down navigation for them.

Great
Works fine Smile and fast !
Previous Topic: Happy new year 2010!
Next Topic: Nightly builds broken...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:59:22 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01650 seconds