Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Debian repository up and running
Debian repository up and running [message #24504] Thu, 21 January 2010 14:56 Go to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hello all!

As I promised on the meeting last week, I've started to investigate the possibilities of using launchpad.net to build debian/ubuntu packages. Today, after several unsuccessful attempts, I finally got it right. For anyone interested, here is a link with instruction how to add the repository to your system: https://launchpad.net/~dolik-rce/+archive/upp/. Amd64 and i386 architectures are supported.

For now my approach is partly manual, but in next days I'll automate it in a nice, simple script (hopefully nice&simple Smile ). I'm packaging the nightly X11 build, in the repo is now revision 1875. It should behave exactly the same way as the amd64 debs produced in nightly builds and Koldos i386 packages published on sourceforge (the script is almost identical). If you try it, please let me know about any unexpected behavior.

The next step should be to integrate this script into upp server infrastructure so it all works automatically (if Mirek agrees). The only question is if the repository should contain stable releases or nightly builds. What's your opinion? Or should we have upp and upp-nightly repositories?

Best regards,
Honza

EDIT: Fixed typos Embarassed

[Updated on: Thu, 21 January 2010 14:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Debian repository up and running [message #24505 is a reply to message #24504] Thu, 21 January 2010 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
dolik.rce wrote on Thu, 21 January 2010 15:56

If you try it, please let me know about any unexpected behavior.
[...]
The only question is if the repository should contain stable releases or nightly builds. What's your opinion? Or should we have upp and upp-nightly repositories?

Hello Honza,
You done a good job. Though i have a small problem with your ppa:
[...]
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net karmic Release    
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net karmic/main Packages
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net karmic/main Packages
Err http://ppa.launchpad.net karmic/main Packages
  404  Not Found
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/dolik-rce/upp/ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz  404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

With U++ i don't know what stable and nightly-builds means Laughing the difference is just the time when they get released because there isn't the repository frozen for a release or a tag created for it so technically until now we had only one stable release 2008.1 but since all upp releases (even nightly build) are considered stable we're having stable releases under different names upp and upp-nightly. Seems that nightly builds from GoogleCode have attention (based on downloads statistics), 1024 stable from sf.net has been released before 1875 from googlecode.com but 1875 got more downloads than stable version, so i might say based on that we definitely have to create a ppa for nightly or to drop nightly builds and release stable packages more often and advertise them a bit. The problem is that we should keep also sf.net and/or googlecode.com because launchpad only support deb packages or gzipped sources.
I think that we should have deb packages in launchpad and other packages in sourceforge and you may sync your launchpad releases with Koldo releases from sourceforge, in that way we support both deb and rpm.

To summarize everything:
launchpad.net: upp and upp-nightly (deb)
sourceforge.net: upp (rpm)
googlecode.com (only svn mirror)

Andrei
Re: Debian repository up and running [message #24506 is a reply to message #24505] Thu, 21 January 2010 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Right now, stable releases are equivalent of some nightly build.

Packages that are not part of such nightly builds are (or should be) created based on src package.

Mirek
Re: Debian repository up and running [message #24508 is a reply to message #24505] Thu, 21 January 2010 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Andrei!
andrei_natanael wrote on Thu, 21 January 2010 16:13

Hello Honza,
You done a good job. Though i have a small problem with your ppa:
[...]
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net karmic Release    
Hit http://ppa.launchpad.net karmic/main Packages
Err http://ppa.launchpad.net karmic/main Packages
  404  Not Found
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/dolik-rce/upp/ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz  404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Sorry I forgot to mention this... There is only repository for Ubuntu Lucid Lynx now. It's not a problem the package will work in any of the ubuntu versions (and in debian as well). Just change the corresponding line in your /etc/apt/sources.list to say lucid instead of karmic. I'll have a look if it's possible to make the repo universal...

andrei_natanael wrote on Thu, 21 January 2010 16:13

With U++ i don't know what stable and nightly-builds means Laughing the difference is just the time when they get released because there isn't the repository frozen for a release or a tag created for it so technically until now we had only one stable release 2008.1 but since all upp releases (even nightly build) are considered stable we're having stable releases under different names upp and upp-nightly.

Well, the difference would be in the frequency of updates. On slower machines (like mine Wink ) it could be pretty inconvenient to rebuild the core packages everyday, because the code got updated. With stable releases, this would happen only once every few weeks. On the other hand, with upp-nightly user could install the newest nightly build and than mark the package "hold", to stop the updates until next time he wants to update. But that needs some knowledge, that not every ubuntu user has. That is why I canẗ't decide Smile To me, it seems the best to provide both, it'll be just one more call of the same script...

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Debian repository up and running [message #24513 is a reply to message #24508] Thu, 21 January 2010 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

dolik.rce wrote on Thu, 21 January 2010 17:18

Sorry I forgot to mention this... There is only repository for Ubuntu Lucid Lynx now. It's not a problem the package will work in any of the ubuntu versions (and in debian as well). Just change the corresponding line in your /etc/apt/sources.list to say lucid instead of karmic. I'll have a look if it's possible to make the repo universal...

I'm sorry, but I was lying here Embarassed It actually does matter what ubuntu version it is built for. Lucid has newer version of libc, so it doesn't work on karmic. Thanks to Andrei for pointing this out. I've added karmic builds to the repository now. Should I also add some older? Theoretically we can go all the way back to Dapper Drake (which was my first linux distro, btw Smile ), but I donẗ't think that is necessary Smile

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Debian repository up and running [message #24514 is a reply to message #24504] Thu, 21 January 2010 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I'm on Hardy Heron (8.04). After the support ends, I'm by 60% "sure" I will switch to Debian. Smile
Re: Debian repository up and running [message #24515 is a reply to message #24504] Thu, 21 January 2010 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
Anyway, on more important note... how does this relate to "Quickly"? I think it should help with the part of template which is responsible for building quickly template in PPA, otherwise probably not related at all.

Honza: please, focus on finishing this PPA building to be in top shape, this is IMHO the way how to get into universe later, don't worry about Quickly right now.

I also think both "stable" and nightly would be good, because it may be annoying to have new updates way too often. I think nightly PPA should be recommended only to people who are sure they want it, but by default I would recommend "stable" releases which are less frequent, and in case we get some bad flux of new users in forums suddenly, it's more likely we will know which version they have problems with. Smile
Re: Debian repository up and running [message #24519 is a reply to message #24515] Thu, 21 January 2010 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

mr_ped wrote on Thu, 21 January 2010 22:03

Anyway, on more important note... how does this relate to "Quickly"?

Not at all Smile I mentioned Quickly in different thread, not here.

About debian: I would like to support it too. Not sure if it's possible through launchpad, probably not. I'll look at that once ubuntu is covered Wink

Regards,
Honza
Re: Debian repository up and running [message #24555 is a reply to message #24504] Sun, 24 January 2010 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi,
I just uploaded new packages (release 1924) to launchpad. Targeted lucid, karmic, jaunty and hardy for mr_ped Wink They will become available sometime in next 24 hours. Unfortunately sometimes there is not enough compiling machines, the i386 queue is now about 22 hours long :/

I am still working on automating the script...

Regards,
Honza

EDIT: Just found there was a mistake in all the packages, they will fail to build Confused I'll try to do it better tomorrow.
Note for myself: Packaging should NOT be done manualy, it's too error prone Sad

[Updated on: Sun, 24 January 2010 12:15]

Re: Debian repository up and running [message #24558 is a reply to message #24504] Sun, 24 January 2010 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
Yep, that's the reason why a very reliably high quality automated script has to be done.
Maybe it would be good also to write some documentation explaining how the process works, and which debian/ubuntu rules are followed, etc... so in the future it will be easier to fix it in case of some major changes.

Anyway, thank you so far for the great job, I hope you will make it to finish successfully. Also if you are struggling with something, let us know here, maybe somebody will take a look too and help. (I'm not core dev, but I believe a quality .deb is very important for U++ now, so it has at least some chance to make it into officials repos later).
Re: Debian repository up and running [message #25093 is a reply to message #24504] Wed, 10 February 2010 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hello all!

Good news! The build script is almost ready. In the repository mentioned above is now full set of 14 debian packages for 5 ubuntu flavours (hardy to lucid) and 3 architectures (amd64,i386,lpia). Please test them and report any unusual behaviour.

There is only two minor glitches (of which I'm aware at the moment) that have to be fixed, so I hope I can incorporate this into U++ infrastructure soon.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Debian repository up and running [message #25129 is a reply to message #25093] Fri, 12 February 2010 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Honza

The upp_2042~ppa1~jaunty1_i386.deb file has worked well for me.

I have tested it in a clean Ubuntu 9.04. It has installed all dependencies including compilers and libraries.

I did not realized until now that the package name is "upp" instead of "ultimate", "ultimate++", "ultimatepp", "u++" or "theide" Wink

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: Debian repository up and running [message #25131 is a reply to message #25129] Fri, 12 February 2010 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Koldo,
koldo wrote on Fri, 12 February 2010 00:41

The upp_2042~ppa1~jaunty1_i386.deb file has worked well for me.

I have tested it in a clean Ubuntu 9.04. It has installed all dependencies including compilers and libraries.

Glad to hear that! Smile Thanks for testing.

koldo wrote on Fri, 12 February 2010 00:41

I did not realized until now that the package name is "upp" instead of "ultimate", "ultimate++", "ultimatepp", "u++" or "theide" Wink

Well that is just for testing purposes. No problem to change to almost anything else. Here "almost" means anything without underscores and maybe some weird characters and not "u++" (since it already exists in Debian). Something with ultimate would be probably better. Let's open the discussion Wink

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Debian repository up and running [message #25133 is a reply to message #25093] Fri, 12 February 2010 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

dolik.rce wrote on Wed, 10 February 2010 07:28

There is only two minor glitches (of which I'm aware at the moment) that have to be fixed, so I hope I can incorporate this into U++ infrastructure soon.

Both problems solved. First was getting the Makefiles compatible with dpkg-buildpackage. The fix actually makes them more standard, and I'll upload it to svn tonight. Second problem was how to make the script to sign the packages non-interactively, while not compromising the security. The solution was easier than I expected, just a simple wrapper script.

So everything is ready to start incorporating it in the uppbox. Be patient, it will take a few days, I have to solve the little detais with Mirek. And also a bit more of testing won't hurt Smile

Best regards,
Honza

PS: Version 2057 is compiled and ready in the repository Wink

[Updated on: Fri, 12 February 2010 02:15]

Re: Debian repository up and running [message #25444 is a reply to message #24504] Wed, 24 February 2010 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
Shouldn't you contact Christoph from here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/456359 and discuss the newest changes and improvements? Maybe he would be helpful with review of your current .deb builds and verify they are suitable for universe repository, eventually improving his own builds as well.
I think this may help a tiny bit to move further toward inclusion.

And I should finally test your repo on all my kubuntu machines (I have 2x (real+virtual box) 9.10 and one 8.04 Smile )

Christoph has also account here in upp forums:
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=4717& amp;start=0
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=usrinfo&id=8 27

And I wonder what to do about that launchpad "bug", if you should report your ppa there or it's irrelevant, maybe he will know better, what to do now and where to push.
Re: Debian repository up and running [message #25457 is a reply to message #25444] Wed, 24 February 2010 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

mr_ped wrote on Wed, 24 February 2010 08:51

Shouldn't you contact Christoph from here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/456359 and discuss the newest changes and improvements? Maybe he would be helpful with review of your current .deb builds and verify they are suitable for universe repository, eventually improving his own builds as well.
I think this may help a tiny bit to move further toward inclusion.

And I should finally test your repo on all my kubuntu machines (I have 2x (real+virtual box) 9.10 and one 8.04 Smile )

Christoph has also account here in upp forums:
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=4717& amp; amp;start=0
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=usrinfo&id=8 27

And I wonder what to do about that launchpad "bug", if you should report your ppa there or it's irrelevant, maybe he will know better, what to do now and where to push.

Hi,
I will get in touch with Christopher in few days if we see that the builds are stable and working.

I think I should post notification about the PPA in bugtracker... There is a high chance someone will notice it and that should give us some feedback on what to improve to get into ubuntu.

On the other hand, I would prefer to get U++ into Debian first. There is less formalities and adopting Debian package into ubuntu later is relatively easy. I will try to contact someone on Debian mentors mailing-list soon, perhaps after talking to Christopher.

Regards,
Honza
Re: Debian repository up and running [message #25458 is a reply to message #25457] Wed, 24 February 2010 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
Hi Honza,
I've tested your packages from upp-nightly for Ubuntu 9.10 64bit and everything is ok.

Andrei
Re: Debian repository up and running [message #25897 is a reply to message #24504] Thu, 18 March 2010 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hello everyone who uses ubuntu based OS! Smile

We finally fixed all the problems and nightly .deb builds are now working. So if you wish to have a fresh sources and theide every night, just add ppa:dolik-rce/upp-nightly to your system's Software Sources (see detailed how-to).

Just to remind: If you want only stable releases (about every 2 weeks), the procedure is the same, just use ppa:dolik-rce/upp.

Best regards,
Honza

PS: To Mirek: If you grant me access to uppweb, I will put this information in the Download page. Or should I just send you the tpp?
Re: Debian repository up and running [message #29189 is a reply to message #24504] Sat, 09 October 2010 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hello all,

Just a little announcement: Starting from today, the PPA on launchpad will contain also packages for Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, which is being released tomorrow.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Debian repository up and running [message #31500 is a reply to message #29189] Mon, 07 March 2011 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

Hello everyone,

Just a little announcement: Starting from today, the packages for Ubuntu 11.4 Natty Narwhal (which should be released some time next month) are being available in our PPA on launchpad.

Best regards,
Honza
Previous Topic: Cookie Prize 2011
Next Topic: porting an app from vc++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 12:51:08 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04357 seconds