Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » Build methods: remote host
Build methods: remote host [message #2105] Sat, 01 April 2006 13:38 Go to next message
hojtsy is currently offline  hojtsy
Experienced Member
How is the remote host options are used in the build method configuration? Is TheIde able to connect to a telnet (ssh?) port and start a compilation on a remote machine? Is it possible to run gdb and the compiled application on the remote machine, and debug it? How can I control what commands are issued on the remote machine for compilation? We have a 1000 file project compiled on Unix servers, but edited on Windows workstations. Would it be possible to use TheIde on the workstation to trigger the compilation (actually start a shell script) on the remote Unix machine, and display the compilation results in the results panel? Source files are visible both by Samba, and by Clearcase client software, and I would need path translation applied to the compilation results.
Re: Build methods: remote host [message #2111 is a reply to message #2105] Sat, 01 April 2006 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
hojtsy wrote on Sat, 01 April 2006 06:38

How is the remote host options are used in the build method configuration? Is TheIde able to connect to a telnet (ssh?) port and start a compilation on a remote machine? Is it possible to run gdb and the compiled application on the remote machine, and debug it? How can I control what commands are issued on the remote machine for compilation? We have a 1000 file project compiled on Unix servers, but edited on Windows workstations. Would it be possible to use TheIde on the workstation to trigger the compilation (actually start a shell script) on the remote Unix machine, and display the compilation results in the results panel? Source files are visible both by Samba, and by Clearcase client software, and I would need path translation applied to the compilation results.

You need to compile and start a special application on host which is in Web/TServ (actually, IMO ssh would be possible and better option, however this is how things are now).

GDB and others - yes, it is possible. That is how Linux port was originally developed.

So far, this was tested with Win32/linux pair and I believe also with sun sparc/solaris. It is quite interesting feature, but with limited use....

Mirek
Re: Build methods: remote host [message #2516 is a reply to message #2105] Sun, 16 April 2006 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FryPpy is currently offline  FryPpy
Remote compilation is very good feature (And TheIDE is the Best - THANK YOU). But i haven't enough documentation for that feature. First of all, i have compiled TServ over gcc 2.95 on very very old Linux (2.2 kernel) and seems it starts good. But all my tries to do something with that remote host from Win2000 TheIDE ends with fail.
I can't to use SCRIPT builder - i can't to write right script file for it.
I can't use GCC or GCC3 builder - file synchronization works fine, but when compilation starts all hangs up. I think that remote host don't send back right answer. Now i debugging that problem, but it is very hard to understand what is
going on having only raw C++ code.

Please share some tips / help about remote building.
Re: Build methods: remote host [message #2558 is a reply to message #2516] Mon, 17 April 2006 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rylek is currently offline  rylek
First of all make sure tserv is up and running on the remote machine. The correct syntax for its invocation is

tserv <port number>

(I normally use 2346 and TheIDE assumes it as default, but any port can be specified). After you run tserv with this syntax, it should report on the standard output that it's starting its accept loop and keep running in an infinite loop waiting for requests from TheIDE. After that, define a Build method with the correct remote host name (and possibly :<port number> after the IP address) and enter source and destination path mappings into the table on the right, like

e:\src\ -> /usr/src/
e:\uppout\ -> /tmp/out/

or something like that. (The trailing slashes are important as the path conversion is more or less a plain character substitution.)

You have also two options concerning remote file management. You can either use SAMBA to make your Windows files visible to the Unix filesystem, or TheIDE plus tserv can automatically transfer the necessary source files over the network.

After setting this up, you should be use remote compilation. If you stumble accross some troubles, please turn on the verbose mode to see what's happening on TheIDE console in greater detail. Also, especially the first compilation tends to seem stuck for a while in the beginning as the source files in the whole project are being checked and BZ2-compressed for transfer to the remote machine. If you fear that something's gone wrong, please look at the tserv console on the Unix machine. Some random-looking text should scroll very quickly there and so you should be able to see that the remote machine is responding.

Regards

Tomas
Re: Build methods: remote host [message #2624 is a reply to message #2105] Wed, 19 April 2006 09:27 Go to previous message
FryPpy is currently offline  FryPpy
Try to describe what i see more precise.

i. I have Linux Box in Virtual Machine, so i can see what is going with TheIDE and TServ simultaneously.
ii. Now i having my experiment with program as simple as Hello World.

1. File transfer. Indirect file transfer (TheIDE -> TServ) works fine. TServ
shows binary symbols and new files appears on Linux machine.

2. Remote Build. I press 'Build / F7' button in TheIDE and see
----- Test ( MAIN GCC DEBUG DEBUG_FULL LINUX )
aaa.cpp

in TheIDE's Console. 

In TServ's output i see
///Binary symbols///
=c++ -c -I ...  -o "/ttt/out/Test/MINGW.Debug_full.Linux.Main.Noblitz/aaa.o"

and timer is going on.
I can run another console, and find, that file
/ttt/out/Test/MINGW.Debug_full.Linux.Main.Noblitz/aaa.o
exist. That mean, that this compilation step is finished, but TheIDE is still Building...

I can press 'Stop building' button, after that TheIDE declares error, and TServ prints this string
-/ttt/out/Test/MINGW.Debug_full.Linux.Main.Noblitz/aaa.o

and deletes this file.

WHAT IS GOING WRONG?
How can i turn on the verbose mode in TheIDE?
How works SCRIPT build method?

By The Way, i try to setup path mapping with trailing slashes
C:\MyApps\ -> /ttt/
and without
C:\MyApps -> /ttt
In any case, problem persists.

Previous Topic: Hydra is FAST
Next Topic: Problem on building HelloWorld
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:00:57 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01080 seconds