FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Google Summer of Code
Google Summer of Code [message #25695] Mon, 08 March 2010 12:08 Go to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello all

Google Summer of Code is a program that awards with money students that work in approved Open Source projects.

To participate in it first the open source project has to apply to it as a "mentor organization".

The deadline for this is this Friday 12.

Main things to do are:
- Open a "ideas" page in web
- Fill the mentor organization questionnaire

There is few time and few opportunities to be approved but some of us think that we would have to try it.

If you can help please answer to this post ASAP.

We have only 4 days, so we have to be very constructive talking ONLY about "Applying to GSoC as a Mentoring Organization". Please put other discussions in other posts.

If you cannot participate this week but you have an idea for a project please post it, including:
- Project description
- Experience required to do it

Do not forget that there is few time to do the project ("summer of code") so please be specific including only projects to be finished in short time.

Some links:

- Google Summer of Code 2010 FAQ
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google /gsoc2010

- "ideas" page examples:
-- https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/soc2009
-- http://wiki.winehq.org/SummerOfCode
-- http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Development:_Student_Projects

- Selection criteria
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc 2009/orgcriteria

- Advices for mentor organization
http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/Advicefo rMentors

- Mentoring How To
http://people.gnome.org/~federico/docs/summer-of-code-mentor ing-howto/index.html

- Mentoring experiences
-- http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2008/01/netbsd4-inte rview.ars/8
-- http://blog.musicbrainz.org/?p=310
-- http://my.bzflag.org/gsoc/bzflag_gsoc2007_post_mortem.pdf

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25697 is a reply to message #25695] Mon, 08 March 2010 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I think tomorrow we can have a irc meeting about this issue, correct?

I would really be happy if you can arrange this because I am really busy now doing other things.

Mirek
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25700 is a reply to message #25695] Mon, 08 March 2010 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
U++ port to KDE/Qt
The goal is to provide a library* which wraps Qt theming API and draw U++ widgets using it. Right now U++ is using gtk+ theming API which make applications look ugly under KDE and gtk+ libs have to be available in order for application to run. This library will make U++ non-dependent on a theming API but rather selecting proper theming engine at runtime so application look will be changed based on running context - KDE(Qt based) or Gnome(gtk+ based). If Qt or gtk+ don't exists and user have only X11 server U++ will use it's own theming API for drawing widgets.

Experience needed
Some U++ knowledge, some Qt knowledge.

Andrei

(* Package in U++ terms)

[Updated on: Mon, 08 March 2010 22:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25705 is a reply to message #25700] Mon, 08 March 2010 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Andrei

Thank you for your proposal. I would ask you just more details, about three lines about it.

Do not think this text is a commitment. Final project definition will change as it comes from an agreement between mentor and student.

Mirek

I am agree with you. We can talk about it tomorrow Tuesday. In advance you can propose some ideas and think where to locate "ideas" page in main page.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25708 is a reply to message #25705] Mon, 08 March 2010 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hello Koldo,
I've updated my previous post.

Regarding GSOC Ideas page it may be located on (upp-mirror)googlecode.org wiki so we don't have to use uppweb or wait one night for it to update. Btw, who should edit Ideas page, students or mentors or both? Smile If both then having Ideas page on googlecode wiki will allow students which participate in GSOC to edit it if they are added as contributor to U++ in upp-mirror.

Andrei
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25711 is a reply to message #25708] Tue, 09 March 2010 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Andrei

Quote:

I've updated my previous post.

Very good

Quote:

Regarding GSOC Ideas page it may be located on (upp-mirror)googlecode.org wiki so we don't have to use uppweb or wait one night for it to update. Btw, who should edit Ideas page, students or mentors or both? Smile If both then having Ideas page on googlecode wiki will allow students which participate in GSOC to edit it if they are added as contributor to U++ in upp-mirror.

I think ideas page do not have to be very dynamic and it is not the last word about new project proposals.

The final GSOC approved projects come from an arrangement between mentor organizations and students.

I think ideas page and other infrastructure included in GSOC mentor organization application questionnaire have to demonstrate Google that Upp is a dynamic well organized project able to manage projects with external people, mentoring and integrating them into the developers structure.

In addition projects have to be attractive, they can be developed in few months and ( Smile ) cool.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25714 is a reply to message #25711] Tue, 09 March 2010 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello all

Two possible ideas:

- Video Player Control
This control would integrate ffmpeg video decoding and sdl to visualize .avi, .mpg, ... video files.
It would need to work using ffmpeg, sdl so gcc/mingw knowledge and Upp knowledge would help.

- Web Browser Control
This control would integrate a web browser into a control. Possibly the best option would be to use webkit.
It would need to work using webkit so gcc/mingw knowledge and Upp knowledge would help.

In all projects if external libraries are used it would be necessary that the license would be BSD or similar.

Similarly it would be important that all projects would be implemented in Windows and GNU/Linux leaving open the possibility to, in a future, be implemented in OSX.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25734 is a reply to message #25714] Tue, 09 March 2010 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
SVG parser (->Painter)

Maybe even vector editor (for TheIDE).
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25736 is a reply to message #25695] Tue, 09 March 2010 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello all

I cannot be in the meeting.

However I can help in doing the ideas web and the questionnaire.

Please send a post after the meeting to know what to do.

Thank you.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25742 is a reply to message #25736] Wed, 10 March 2010 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Well, I think we have enough themes now.

Perhaps somebody now should go and create these pages?

Mirek
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25746 is a reply to message #25742] Wed, 10 March 2010 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
luzr wrote on Wed, 10 March 2010 09:01

Well, I think we have enough themes now.

Perhaps somebody now should go and create these pages?

Mirek

Hello Mirek

I can do the ideas page.

About the place to put it, in a long term I would add a "Developer page" in the left side menu, and GSOC would be inside it.

However for now I see two possibilities:

1. From Andrei
Quote:

Regarding GSOC Ideas page it may be located on (upp-mirror)googlecode.org

The three projects I have seen (see previous post) have a wiki page with GSOC inside it.

2. To put GSOC ideas in "Status & Roadmap".

Please answer me which of them, or other.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25749 is a reply to message #25746] Wed, 10 March 2010 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Whatever works for you the best.

Another option is "hidden" webpage in www.ultimatepp.org.

Mirek
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25750 is a reply to message #25749] Wed, 10 March 2010 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
luzr wrote on Wed, 10 March 2010 11:34

Mirek

Hello Mirek

At least from this Friday the page should be visible and convincing as if Upp proposal would be approved by Google, many students would try to see our projects and contact us.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25751 is a reply to message #25750] Wed, 10 March 2010 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Wed, 10 March 2010 05:52

luzr wrote on Wed, 10 March 2010 11:34

Mirek

Hello Mirek

At least from this Friday the page should be visible and convincing as if Upp proposal would be approved by Google, many students would try to see our projects and contact us.

Sorry, I meant that the page is not normally accessible from frontpage - more or less to avoid redesign of the page. But page itself would be visible.
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25754 is a reply to message #25751] Wed, 10 March 2010 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
One more important:

- U++ as library (with possible separation or mode of TheIDE as resource editor only).
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25771 is a reply to message #25695] Thu, 11 March 2010 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello all

Draft page is included from Status & Roadmap although it is not online now so you would have to download it and run uppweb to see it in advance.

To improve the quality of the proposals I have included

- Difficulty
- Proposed roadmap including internal or external references to previous works

It is important to fill those fields because it demonstrates GSOC administrators that our proposals are well prepared.

Today I have fixed some details but please post whatever you have found.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25785 is a reply to message #25771] Thu, 11 March 2010 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
koldo wrote on Thu, 11 March 2010 10:33

Draft page is included from Status & Roadmap although it is not online now so you would have to download it and run uppweb to see it in advance.

This is a reason why i like GSOC Ideas page to be in upp-mirror wiki and not in Upp site. We have to wait for sync and modifications may do only people which have uppweb configured. Tomorrow is the last day for organization applications and changes made tomorrow will appear only the day after tomorrow... i dislike that. Btw, what's the status of application? Is Upp registered or we wait until last day or maybe next year Smile ?
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25787 is a reply to message #25785] Thu, 11 March 2010 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
andrei_natanael wrote on Thu, 11 March 2010 16:45

koldo wrote on Thu, 11 March 2010 10:33

This is a reason why i like GSOC Ideas page to be in upp-mirror wiki and not in Upp site. We have to wait for sync and modifications may do only people which have uppweb configured. Tomorrow is the last day for organization applications and changes made tomorrow will appear only the day after tomorrow... i dislike that. Btw, what's the status of application? Is Upp registered or we wait until last day or maybe next year Smile ?

Hello Andrei

As I posted before we are working a lot in this application. It is the first time so we are learning fast.

And of course all support is acknowledged. I think that all this work is worthwhile anyway because it helps new developers to enter in the project, with or without the kind help from Google.

And we will enter our application tomorrow Smile

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25793 is a reply to message #25695] Thu, 11 March 2010 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Hello Andrei

Quote:

This is a reason why i like GSOC Ideas page to be in upp-mirror wiki and not in Upp site. We have to wait for sync and modifications may do only people which have uppweb configured.

Both wiki and uppweb need permission and Upp site could be updated more frequently as server is most the time idle.

However IMHO web is enough big for now. I would only:
- Follow with translations
- Improve and standardize page look

IMO I would add the majority of new contents in Wiki pages.

I thought Google Code wiki had too much simple look. However after checking this http://code.google.com/p/gps-gimp-paint-studio/wiki/Introduc tion perhaps we can have a nice looking wiki.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Google Summer of Code [message #25799 is a reply to message #25793] Fri, 12 March 2010 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Experienced Member
About GSOC Idea page, doesn't have mentors for each idea to be listed there? Who are u++ mentors? Until now i guess Mirek and Koldo.
Previous Topic: About Painter vs OpenGL
Next Topic: Question about pick behaviour
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:39:01 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01298 seconds