Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Widgets - General questions or Mixed problems » howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes
howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26758] Wed, 26 May 2010 13:15 Go to next message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
hi there people

i am dealing with a performance issue, tackling the borders of Upp (or maybe better: my mind Smile

got a MT environment wich diversly generates a LOT of frequent refreshes on a LOT of small Ctls.

example:

some 5+ Threads (communication from devices) generate visual data for ~25 Views (with a LOT of Ctrl hierarchy) every 200 ms for each view, each data element causes a refresh of a particular Ctrl (maybe somewhere *deep* in hierarchy).

so the problem is the perfomance is *sh..*, no fluidity

>> How to deal with a lot of frequent updates / refreshes to a lot of Ctrls from several threads (!= main GUI thread)?

i imagine the problem is my design itself, where the threads use GuiLock to do the stuff in the Gui or need to wait for MainThread to finish the work for them and so there is a lot of context switches.. or the Ctrls are pretty deep in hierarchy and refreshing them toggles refreshes on upper ones as well?

is there a possib to disable a view for repainting, have all the update ctrl stuff done and then by enabling trigger a refresh in Main GUI thread for all *dirty* Ctrl (which would be done without context switches)

help apriciated

[Updated on: Wed, 26 May 2010 13:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26765 is a reply to message #26758] Wed, 26 May 2010 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi kohait,

Just a few ideas:

You can try to update the GUI using PostCallback rather then GuiLock. It sends callback to main thread and gets executed there. I believe it could speed things a bit.

Alternatively, it might (I did not test this) help a little bit to just change the GUI without refresh and then call refresh from main thread periodically.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26766 is a reply to message #26758] Wed, 26 May 2010 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
GuiLock works in similar way like PostCallback?!
Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26767 is a reply to message #26766] Wed, 26 May 2010 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

1. By the way, is GUI MT-safe? If it is so, maybe it is a good idea to have some flag (like GUI_MT) to enable/disable GUI-MT features? This will speed things too.

2. Maybe you could make some descendant class of ParentCtrl which keeps cached image and drws it upon refresh. Actual refresh of child Ctrl is to be made only on explicit request (let's call it ParentCtrlCache). I don't know exactly (didn't test it) but this could give additional speedup by reducing actual GUI updates.

[Updated on: Wed, 26 May 2010 17:25]

Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26771 is a reply to message #26767] Wed, 26 May 2010 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sergeynikitin is currently offline  sergeynikitin
Contributor

I propose to decide: How frequently refreshing needed?
Usually I update Ctrl only one times per second, And ignore more frequently updates. But you can decide to refresh more frequently.

It makes no sense to update the widget and spend system resources on it, more often than it is able to notice the eyes.

SergeyNikitin<U++>( linux, wine )
{
    under( Ubuntu || Debian || Raspbian );
}
Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26772 is a reply to message #26771] Wed, 26 May 2010 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
thanks guys for replys.

the app is kind of an audio devices monitoring tool with meterbridges data coming in as push data (i dont have control over time when it comes in). it should display kind of fluidly, 200 ms is alright, but if you imagine 25+ devices firing thir live data, that comes in at random time in different threads, there it's the mess.

Quote:

It makes no sense to update the widget and spend system resources on it, more often than it is able to notice the eyes.

i'd need even 1/20 = 50 ms refreshtime..so 200ms is a compromise already

Quote:

is GUI MT-safe?

as far as i know GUI "is" MT safe, as long as you use GuiLock __; scope helper in the other threads to modify the gui.. internally it maps some stuff to Main Thread and waits for it anyway. but not everythin in GUI is MT, like DnD stuff etc.. dig in the CtrlCore win32 code, and you will find some ASSERT(IsMainThread).

Quote:

ParentCtrl which keeps cached image and drws it upon refresh

this would increase memory consumptiion for rather huge ctrl's, but is an option. but what about all the small ctrls already present? it would be a lot of work to adjust them

Quote:

GuiLock works in similar way like PostCallback?!

no, not quite the same. PostCallback gets executen in the same TimerThread, while the GuiLock is only a mutex to aquire GUI use rights for your own different thread (!= main)

Quote:

little bit to just change the GUI without refresh and then call refresh from main thread periodically.

this was my intention, but i dnot know of any means in Ctrl to update a Ctrl (using its API, SetData() etc) without causing an internal Refresh(). setting data to controls always results in an Refresh(), unlike i.e. setting Ctrl properties like maybe font, color, min max etc..this needs a manual Refresh() as far as i know. this all is by design. Ctrls distinguish in their between "parametrising" a Ctrl (setting it up) which does *not* trigger a Refresh() automatically, and "using, providing actual data" to Ctrl, which automatically Triggers a Refresh().
Now I am "using" my Ctrls, so they refresh that frequently..

it would be great to "postpone" the Refresh() of a Ctrl for later.. but donno how to do it, or if the Ctrl API already supports it
Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26775 is a reply to message #26772] Wed, 26 May 2010 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

kohait00 wrote on Wed, 26 May 2010 20:43

i'd need even 1/20 = 50 ms refreshtime..so 200ms is a compromise

Then, believe me, you MUST use OpenGL/DirectX for this. No alternatives.

The frame rate you require is beyond GUI abilities (this means that there is no way to guarantee that operating system will refresh window with rate you required). This is especially important for POSIX/X11 systems.

So, graphics acceleration is your only choice here.
And - if you wish to use accelerated control like DHCtrl (I don't remember exact name), please consider using ONE accelerated control per application, not many.
Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26776 is a reply to message #26758] Thu, 27 May 2010 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Kohait,

If you develop some kind of graphics/video/game application where framerate matters, then you should use graphic acceleration as Mindtraveller suggested. But if you just want to show some rapidly changing data in real time, you should be fine with some 5 fps max, user don't react any quicker Wink

Here is something that might or might not help you:
#include <CtrlLib/CtrlLib.h>
using namespace Upp;

template <class T>
class Cached : public T{
	Value val;
	bool refreshflag;
public:
	void operator<<=(Callback action) {T::operator<<=(action);}
	void operator<<=(Value data)      {refreshflag=true; val=data;}
	void SetData(Value data)          {refreshflag=true; val=data;}
	Value GetData()                   {return val;}
	Value operator~()                 {return val;}
	void Apply()                      {if(refreshflag) T::SetData(val);}
	bool IsChanged()                  {return refreshflag;}
};

class guitest : public TopWindow {
public:
	typedef guitest CLASSNAME;
	Cached<EditIntSpin> s;
	guitest(){
		s.SetRect(0,0,50,24);
		Add(s);
		s<<=0;
		s.Apply();
	}
	void LeftDown(Point p,dword keyflags){
		s<<=int(~s)+1;
	}
	void RightDown(Point p,dword keyflags){
		s.Apply();
	}
};

GUI_APP_MAIN{
	guitest().Run();
}

It is a simple wrapper template that should work on any Ctrl overloading it's SetData and GetData methods, so they don't trigger Refresh. It will help you only if:
  1. You just change the data, not the Ctrls.
  2. Your app has some idea about the hierarchy of Ctrl so it can call Apply on all of them when needed.
To update I would use single function called using SetTimeCallback with reasonable interval, let's say 200ms.

Best regards,
Honza

Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26787 is a reply to message #26776] Thu, 27 May 2010 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
thanx guys, i'll spend some time thinking about it.. maybe there is also an option to use a "globaly accessible" data cache, where to deposit data, that frequently comes in, and then, independantly trigger refresh operations, that take the data and forward it to the controls which would refresh then in one.., thus decoupling the refreshment if visual data itself from the data that comes in.

but anoter general question:

how to best update a whole LOT of controls at once (just once, not frequently, but at once) without causing the GUI to repaint each time in different locations..but at the end maybe to repaint all?
maybe thats the way to go as well..

the OpenGL option is worth thinking about..
Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26788 is a reply to message #26776] Fri, 28 May 2010 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently online  koldo
Senior Veteran
dolik.rce wrote on Thu, 27 May 2010 09:20

Hi Kohait,

If you develop some kind of graphics/video/game application where framerate matters, then you should use graphic acceleration as Mindtraveller suggested. But if you just want to show some rapidly changing data in real time, you should be fine with some 5 fps max, user don't react any quicker Wink

Here is something that might or might not help you:
using namespace Upp;

template <class T>
	Value val;
	bool refreshflag;
public:
};

public:
	Cached<EditIntSpin> s;
	guitest(){
		s.SetRect(0,0,50,24);
		Add(s);
		s<<=0;
		s.Apply();
	}
		s<<=int(~s)+1;
	}
		s.Apply();
	}
};

GUI_APP_MAIN{
	guitest().Run();
}

It is a simple wrapper template that should work on any Ctrl overloading it's SetData and GetData methods, so they don't trigger Refresh. It will help you only if:
  1. You just change the data, not the Ctrls.
  2. Your app has some idea about the hierarchy of Ctrl so it can call Apply on all of them when needed.
To update I would use single function called using SetTimeCallback with reasonable interval, let's say 200ms.

Best regards,
Honza

I like this sample Smile.

And you told you are not a programmer... Twisted Evil

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26789 is a reply to message #26776] Fri, 28 May 2010 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sender Ghost is currently offline  Sender Ghost
Hello, Jan.

Another sample:

using namespace Upp;

template <class T>
class CachedCtrl : public T {
private:
	Value value;
	bool change;
public:
	CachedCtrl() : change(false) { }
	Callback operator<<=(Callback action) { return T::operator<<=(action); }
	void operator<<=(const Value& data) { change = true; value = data; }
	void SetData(const Value& data) { change = true; value = data; }
	Value GetData() const { return value; }
	Value operator~() const { return value; }
	void Apply() { if (change) T::SetData(value); }
	bool IsChanged() { return change; }
};

const int NUM_CTRLS = 10,
	REFRESH_RATE = 50; // ms

class App : public TopWindow {
private:
	bool doing;
public:
	typedef App CLASSNAME;
	App();
	~App();

Thread work;
	typedef CachedCtrl<EditInt> CEditInt;
	Array<CEditInt> ctrls;

void ChangeData();
	void UpdateData();
	void LeftDown(Point p, dword keyflags);
	void RightDown(Point p, dword keyflags);
};

App::App() : doing(false)
{
	Title("CachedCtrl test application");
	CenterScreen().Sizeable().MinimizeBox().MaximizeBox();
	SetRect(Size(640, 480));

for (int i = 0; i < NUM_CTRLS; ++i)
	{
		ctrls.Add().HSizePosZ(4, 4).TopPosZ(4 + i*(19 + 4), 19).SetData(i + 1);
		ctrls[i].Apply();
		Add(ctrls[i]);
	}
}

App::~App()
{
	Thread::ShutdownThreads();
	work.Wait();
}

void App::ChangeData()
{
	if (!doing) doing = true;
	else return;

const PaintRect curRect = GetBackground();
	Background(PaintRect(ColorDisplay(), SColorPaper()));
	work.Run(THISBACK(UpdateData));

while (doing)
	{
		Sleep(1);
		GuiLock __;
		if (Thread::IsShutdownThreads()) break;

{
			ctrls[i].SetData(int(~ctrls[i]) % (NUM_CTRLS * 100) + 1);
		}
	}

Background(curRect);
	doing = false;
}

void App::UpdateData()
{
	while (doing)
	{
		Sleep(REFRESH_RATE);
		GuiLock __;
		if (Thread::IsShutdownThreads()) break;

{
			ctrls[i].Apply();
		}
	}
}

void App::LeftDown(Point p, dword keyflags)
{
	doing = !doing;
}

void App::RightDown(Point p, dword keyflags)
{
	work.Run(THISBACK(ChangeData));
}

GUI_APP_MAIN
{
	Ctrl::GlobalBackPaint();

App app;
	app.Run();
}

But may be here needed manual refresh mode for all Ctrls instead of automatic (fullrefresh). No need to store extra data. Also IsChanged() equals IsModified() in last case.

For example, in .Net Framework:
// Stop refreshing
ctrl.BeginUpdate();
// Change data
// ...
// Start refreshing again
ctrl.EndUpdate();

[Updated on: Fri, 28 May 2010 13:29]

Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26944 is a reply to message #26788] Fri, 11 June 2010 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
the sample from dolik is interesting, it intercepts the data change stuff, nice idea. tnhanks.

the only drawback is, that there are several controls where you dont only have GetData/SetData which triggers the refresh, like Label or Static or sth.. SetText(), SetLabel()...

it'd be great to have kind of a more general way of disabling refresh in entire gui for some time..
Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26945 is a reply to message #26944] Fri, 11 June 2010 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

kohait00 wrote on Fri, 11 June 2010 14:11

the sample from dolik is interesting, it intercepts the data change stuff, nice idea. tnhanks.

the only drawback is, that there are several controls where you dont only have GetData/SetData which triggers the refresh, like Label or Static or sth.. SetText(), SetLabel()...

it'd be great to have kind of a more general way of disabling refresh in entire gui for some time..

Hi Kohait,

I admit I didn't think about that. One usually expects Static widgets to be, uhm, kind of static Very Happy

Anyway, if you are changing those as well, you can use template specialization. E.g. for label:
using namespace Upp;

template <class T>
	Value val;
	bool refreshflag;
public:
};
template <>
class Cached<Label> : public Label{
	Value val;
	bool refreshflag;
public:
	void Apply()                      {if(refreshflag) Label::SetLabel(AsString(val));}
};

public:
	Cached<EditIntSpin> s;		Cached<Label> l;
	guitest(){
		s.SetRect(10,10,50,24);	l.SetRect(10,40,100,54);
		Add(s);			Add(l);
		s<<=0;			l<<="Nothing yet";
		s.Apply();		l.Apply();
	}
		s<<=int(~s)+1;		l<<=String("Last value: ")+IntStr(s.EditIntSpin::GetData());
	}
		s.Apply();		l.Apply();
	}
};

GUI_APP_MAIN{
	guitest().Run();
}

This will unify the interface between usual widgets and Label. Of course you could also make a different template that would keep the SetLabel interface and just added the caching capabilities. That is up to your choice Wink

BTW: I guess you don't need it, but I quite like the possibility to access the actual value displayed by the control, regardless on what is in cache. So I put it into the example code as a little bonus Wink

Best regards,
Honza
Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26948 is a reply to message #26945] Fri, 11 June 2010 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
thanks dolik, nice idea with templates Smile
i think i generally need to rethink my concept of propagation of data. the aspecht of refresh 5 times a sec. above from Mindtraveler is a word.. maybe i can dig in code to make some kind of switch to disable refreshing while updating controls, and then enabling it again and trigger some deep RefreshLayout..

i'll pass with you here for more info and ideas guys
Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26964 is a reply to message #26948] Tue, 15 June 2010 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
hey folks

the problem is still there and i cant handle it properly because the basic question is not solved yet:

?? how to Update/Refresh a LOT of different small Ctrl's in as little time as possible ???.

as far as i understand there is (for Win32 at least) the ::InvalidateRect functions called in a Refresh(), invoking a WM_PAINT message somewhere. now if shortly after this a *second* Ctrl is Updated/Refreshed, it will cause the same procedure..or is it accumulated and in some time later, the WM_PAINT would outline a rect to repaint, that contains *both* dirty Ctrl's..

i think this is a very basic question. without knowing this behaviour i cant say to wich direction to optimize the gui handling. maybe this should even go into documentation: for performance reasons..

maybe there should be a static flag which is normally on and enables refresh by default, turning it off can then give the possibility to update a bunch of ctsl at once and then reenable normal operation and call a deep refresh.. i thinnk this would be faster..

what do you think?
Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26968 is a reply to message #26964] Tue, 15 June 2010 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sender Ghost is currently offline  Sender Ghost
Hello, Konstantin.

Another possibility is changing Ctrl class.
You can start with Ctrl::RefreshFrame method(s).
void Ctrl::RefreshFrame(const Rect& r) {
	GuiLock __;
	if (manualRefresh || !IsOpen() || !IsVisible() || r.IsEmpty()) return;

Add switches in private area of Ctrl:
private:
	bool manualRefresh;

in public area:
public:
	bool IsUpdate() const { return manualRefresh; }
	void BeginUpdate() { manualRefresh = true; }
	void EndUpdate() { manualRefresh = false; RefreshFrame(); }

Default value in Ctrl constructor:
Ctrl::Ctrl() {
	GuiLock __;
	manualRefresh = false;

And use in some threading function:
	Array<Ctrl *> ctrls;
	// Adding needed ctrls to update
	// ...
	// Begin updating of ctrls
	for (int i = 0, n = ctrls.GetCount(); i < n; ++i)
		ctrls[i]->BeginUpdate();
	// Changing data
	// ...
	// End updating of ctrls
	for (int i = 0, n = ctrls.GetCount(); i < n; ++i)
		ctrls[i]->EndUpdate();

[Updated on: Wed, 16 June 2010 00:53]

Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26971 is a reply to message #26964] Wed, 16 June 2010 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
kohait00 wrote on Tue, 15 June 2010 09:00

hey folks

the problem is still there and i cant handle it properly because the basic question is not solved yet:

?? how to Update/Refresh a LOT of different small Ctrl's in as little time as possible ???.

as far as i understand there is (for Win32 at least) the ::InvalidateRect functions called in a Refresh(), invoking a WM_PAINT message somewhere.

InvalidateRect does not invoke WM_PAINT directly.

In either case, in Win32 or X11 (where it has to be implemented by u++), Paint is always as lazy as possible - it only happens when input queue is empty (unless you request immediate repaint using Sync).

Quote:

what do you think?

I think we have spent years optimizing Refresh/Paint. You can only make it worse:)

Simply do not worry. U++ will do the best possible.
Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26972 is a reply to message #26968] Wed, 16 June 2010 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Sender Ghost wrote on Tue, 15 June 2010 16:18

Hello, Konstantin.

You can start with Ctrl::RefreshFrame method(s).

General word of advice: Do not be so eager to change U++ sources. Some time later you can find yourself standing on diverging platform Smile
Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26974 is a reply to message #26972] Wed, 16 June 2010 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
hy guys

Quote:

if (manualRefresh || !IsOpen() || !IsVisible() || r.IsEmpty()) return;

this is exactly what i had been thinking of.

Quote:

InvalidateRect does not invoke WM_PAINT directly.

In either case, in Win32 or X11 (where it has to be implemented by u++), Paint is always as lazy as possible - it only happens when input queue is empty (unless you request immediate repaint using Sync).

Quote:

what do you think?

I think we have spent years optimizing Refresh/Paint. You can only make it worse:)

Simply do not worry. U++ will do the best possible.

now this is a word. this exactly answers my questions..and creates others. how to keep the queue busy so ith wont trigger a refresh each and everytime.

imagine: 50 devices push their live monitoring data (acutally not the problem, 48 bytes only) to the gui, where the data income is linked to Ctrls (SetData, SetText, cusom Ctrls as well) for each device separately. the devices fire unsynchronously, more or less every 200 ms.
==> consequence: Refreshes over and over (even with 4 devices its a problem already), because queue is kept empty..any idea about that?

Quote:

this is what *I* want the *least*. i know of upp beeing prepared for any cases and ooptimized to the edge. i'd rather need to rethink my model.

cheers
Re: howto best Ctrl Refresh handling w/ MT & very frequent refreshes [message #26975 is a reply to message #26974] Wed, 16 June 2010 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

kohait00 wrote on Wed, 16 June 2010 09:56

how to keep the queue busy so ith wont trigger a refresh each and everytime.

imagine: 50 devices push their live monitoring data (acutally not the problem, 48 bytes only) to the gui, where the data income is linked to Ctrls (SetData, SetText, cusom Ctrls as well) for each device separately. the devices fire unsynchronously, more or less every 200 ms.
==> consequence: Refreshes over and over (even with 4 devices its a problem already), because queue is kept empty..any idea about that?

Hi Kohait,

Thanks for better description of the problem. I still think that this is not a problem of how to refresh Ctrls... It is about the app design. You can solve your problems by altering it just a little bit.

What you need is not to feed the incoming data directly into GUI. If I understand correctly, you know very well what is coming from "outside", so it should not be a problem to create some structure representing those 48b of information. Doing this of the screen is very fast. Now all these structures, one for each device, can reside in Vector. If you use one thread per device there should not be no problem with MT.

Then you can just create a function that will iterate through this array and update the Ctrls based on its content. This function can be called using PostCallback. To make it really MT safe you can use some kind of locking (to prevent writing into the structures or to pause receiving new data). If you refresh "only" 10-20 times per second (which is more than enough for human eye, I usually aim for ~5fps), it should not bring any performance problems.

Well, at least that is what I would do Wink

Best regards,
Honza
Previous Topic: GtkWidget inside U++
Next Topic: DONE: ColumnList with Ctrl's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:45:00 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01236 seconds