Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » Applications created with U++ » STermPro: next generation serial port monitor
STermPro: next generation serial port monitor [message #26009] Thu, 25 March 2010 11:06 Go to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

With STermPro you can

* Control serial device with parameters, not bytes. Just select protocol. STermPro takes care of the rest.
* Check device output as parameters of protocol, not just a sequence of bytes.

* Send and receive with many serial ports simultaneously. Each port has it's tab.
* Send mixed strings with hex characters. Analyze clearly arranged messages.
* Unique serial port flow visualization makes it clear at once.
* Work with custom serial devices.

http://stermpro.com/static/stermpro-shot.png

U++ rule!

[Updated on: Tue, 27 April 2010 21:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: STermPro: Powerful Software Solution for Serial Port Monitoring and Control with Protocols [message #26035 is a reply to message #26009] Fri, 26 March 2010 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Very nice app Smile

Look's very pro !

It's the most complete serial port app I've ever seen.
Re: STermPro: Powerful Software Solution for Serial Port Monitoring and Control with Protocols [message #26060 is a reply to message #26035] Sat, 27 March 2010 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Thanks!
Re: STermPro: Powerful Software Solution for Serial Port Monitoring and Control with Protocols [message #26206 is a reply to message #26060] Mon, 12 April 2010 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Is there anyone @ U++ forum in need of STermPro? I will give personal free licenses. Write here if you are forum member and wish to have a key.
Re: STermPro: Powerful Software Solution for Serial Port Monitoring and Control with Protocols [message #26208 is a reply to message #26009] Tue, 13 April 2010 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
U++ rocks Smile

Nice program, nice web, a lot of awards !

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: STermPro: Powerful Software Solution for Serial Port Monitoring and Control with Protocols [message #26209 is a reply to message #26206] Tue, 13 April 2010 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
Mindtraveller wrote on Mon, 12 April 2010 21:17

Is there anyone @ U++ forum in need of STermPro? I will give personal free licenses. Write here if you are forum member and wish to have a key.

I would be very interested in the upcoming version for Linux. The Windows one does not meet my actual needs for now... So I suppose I have to be patient Wink

anyway, seems like a great product. I am very grateful you could set this up.

Lionel
Re: STermPro: Powerful Software Solution for Serial Port Monitoring and Control with Protocols [message #26224 is a reply to message #26206] Thu, 15 April 2010 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

Mindtraveller wrote on Mon, 12 April 2010 22:17

Nice product!

What about linux version?

Can I test it?
Re: STermPro: Powerful Software Solution for Serial Port Monitoring and Control with Protocols [message #26227 is a reply to message #26009] Thu, 15 April 2010 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hi Mindtraveler,

I would like to test it to, if possible of course Wink

Linux and/or windows version

Re: STermPro: Powerful Software Solution for Serial Port Monitoring and Control with Protocols [message #26368 is a reply to message #26227] Tue, 27 April 2010 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

STermPro v1.1.3 is out. It is ready as Windows and Linux versions.
Linux Ubuntu: please download attached archive and unpack it into your home directory.
Windows: please download file from here and install it.
Testers are welcome and will be supplied with free licenses on request.

Any critics, recommendations and fresh ideas are welcome!

[Updated on: Tue, 27 April 2010 21:15]

Re: STermPro: Powerful Software Solution for Serial Port Monitoring and Control with Protocols [message #26373 is a reply to message #26368] Wed, 28 April 2010 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
Great !

I've not had time to really test it, but a small suggestion before I forget : The file .proto is loaded only if it is present in the current directory. I would be more interesting to load it from a list a directories, like this :
  • load .proto files from current directory
  • load .proto files from ~/.STermPro directory
  • load .proto files from ${PREFIX}/share/STermPro directory (PREFIX is most probably /usr or /usr/local)
  • load .proto files from the directory where the STermPro executable resides
My 2 cents,
Lionel
Re: STermPro: Powerful Software Solution for Serial Port Monitoring and Control with Protocols [message #26383 is a reply to message #26373] Thu, 29 April 2010 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Agreed. I'll add this feature in v1.1.4. It will make possible sharing .proto files, as app will parse all existing .proto files in a number of dirs.

Also it would be great to see any Linux users report: if app works well, are there any crashes or bugs.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 April 2010 09:22]

Re: STermPro: next generation serial port monitor [message #27384 is a reply to message #26009] Thu, 15 July 2010 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
avpavp is currently offline  avpavp
Promising Member
May I have a key, please, for STermPro?

Thanks,
Anthony
Re: STermPro: next generation serial port monitor [message #27661 is a reply to message #27384] Wed, 28 July 2010 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
avpavp is currently offline  avpavp
Promising Member
Ok, I downloaded STTermPro and installed it.

I'm running win7-64bit.

Install went fine. Registration went fine.

But now everything is grayed out. I can't seem to do anything. Eventually I dbl clicked and the prg crashed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Anthony
Re: STermPro: next generation serial port monitor [message #27710 is a reply to message #27661] Fri, 30 July 2010 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

Did you try to open com-port by clicking on '+' tab?
Re: STermPro: Powerful Software Solution for Serial Port Monitoring and Control with Protocols [message #27939 is a reply to message #26206] Wed, 11 August 2010 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
ofcorse, i am interested in a key Smile it's a beating app, compared to all the complicated stuff out there..
Re: STermPro: Powerful Software Solution for Serial Port Monitoring and Control with Protocols [message #27944 is a reply to message #27939] Wed, 11 August 2010 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerson is currently offline  jerson
Experienced Member

If you're looking for something to build on, I have contributed a single threaded serial port application built on the inputs from this forum.
Re: STermPro: Powerful Software Solution for Serial Port Monitoring and Control with Protocols [message #27946 is a reply to message #27944] Wed, 11 August 2010 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

jerson wrote on Wed, 11 August 2010 17:48

If you're looking for something to build on, I have contributed a single threaded serial port application built on the inputs from this forum.
jerson, I use ctb library which performs well and is cross-platform, and I've got wrapper around it using MtAlt package.
Re: STermPro: Powerful Software Solution for Serial Port Monitoring and Control with Protocols [message #27949 is a reply to message #27946] Wed, 11 August 2010 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Mindtraveller wrote on Wed, 11 August 2010 18:44

jerson wrote on Wed, 11 August 2010 17:48

jerson, I use ctb library which performs well and is cross-platform, and I've got wrapper around it using MtAlt package.

Hello Mindtraveller

I have seen ctb library for serial communications is done with wxWidgets.

Do you know if there is any lighter library for building a wrapper for U++ on top of it?

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: STermPro: Powerful Software Solution for Serial Port Monitoring and Control with Protocols [message #27955 is a reply to message #27949] Thu, 12 August 2010 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

koldo wrote on Wed, 11 August 2010 23:51

I have seen ctb library for serial communications is done with wxWidgets.

Do you know if there is any lighter library for building a wrapper for U++ on top of it?

You are not right in this case. ctb is a part of wxW project. But ctb doesn't use ANY wxWidgets code. It is completely standalone.
So I embed it into U++ without a single wxW header, just as is.
It's the most robust yet complete and cross-platform seriall comms library I've ever met.
I use it for almost a year. I tested it in production apps and finally must admin it is good, efficient and works without bugs for me.

The only problem with it is that ctb is LGPL licensed.

Also, ctb is only a part of infrastructure for programming serial communications. It should also be asynchronous call methods (I solve it with MtAlt - very comfortable, we may discuss it if someone is interested). And also there must be protocols layer.

My 10-year experience with serial comms finally led me to a high-layed calls which support both async & protocol ways:
	int io = Send(sensorPort, NULL, RECEIVE_TIMEOUT_NB3000, NULL, "modbus", 4,6,51,1);

I found it the most convenient way to interact with devices.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 August 2010 06:30]

Re: STermPro: Powerful Software Solution for Serial Port Monitoring and Control with Protocols [message #27960 is a reply to message #27955] Thu, 12 August 2010 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Senior Veteran
Hello Mindtraveller

Just excellent Smile.

Could you release your library including ctb sources as a plugin?. It would useful and a good example of MtAlt.

As your library is more complex than ctb, it could be called SerialComm or something similar.

About WxWidgets license, it is not as BSD license but I think it is enough comfortable to be used in commercial and non-commercial programs.

Best regards
Iñaki
Previous Topic: CsvComparator application
Next Topic: S7DataArchiver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:58:02 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01567 seconds