Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Working on new installer / makeinstall...  () 1 Vote
Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #1340] Tue, 28 February 2006 12:18 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I am now working on new installer / release system for Win32 packages.

There are two goal - bring down the size of installer and completely automatize the installation process, perhaps as far as uploading to sf.net FTP server (in specified hour). Means, release maintainer will just start MakeInstall in the evening, fill in the release name and MakeInstall will compile all necessary files, performs conversions, create installers and maybe even uploads them to sf.net.

New installer will use LZMA and it looks like the biggest archive (mingw) should go down to 14MB (from 24). Installation should even be faster.

Mirek

Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #1356 is a reply to message #1340] Tue, 28 February 2006 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
OK, after great purge in mingw (I have removed everything unnecessary for TheIDE) we are at 12.3MB for mingw release.

Not bad....

Release process is also completely automatized, including uploading to sf.net. That is perhaps more important for me and Daniel, however for everybody else that means more regular releases.....

Mirek
Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #28482 is a reply to message #1356] Fri, 03 September 2010 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Mirek

Could we do a second windows installer including all just out of the box, like MinGW and SDL?

This way a windows user just run the installer and will compile and run U++ examples.

The actual packages to do windows installer could be modified to do both.

Do you agree?. If yes, I can do it.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #28485 is a reply to message #1356] Fri, 03 September 2010 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tojocky is currently offline  tojocky
Contributor

luzr wrote on Tue, 28 February 2006 20:19

OK, after great purge in mingw (I have removed everything unnecessary for TheIDE) we are at 12.3MB for mingw release.

Not bad....

Release process is also completely automatized, including uploading to sf.net. That is perhaps more important for me and Daniel, however for everybody else that means more regular releases.....

Mirek

Very interesting, What is unnecessary?
Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #28526 is a reply to message #28482] Mon, 06 September 2010 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Fri, 03 September 2010 02:07

Hello Mirek

Could we do a second windows installer including all just out of the box, like MinGW and SDL?

This way a windows user just run the installer and will compile and run U++ examples.

I suggest to:

- keep Google automated builds as they are
- possibly put mingw releases to "official" sf.net downloads.

Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #28527 is a reply to message #28485] Mon, 06 September 2010 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
tojocky wrote on Fri, 03 September 2010 02:27

luzr wrote on Tue, 28 February 2006 20:19

Not bad....

Mirek

Very interesting, What is unnecessary?

I guess today this is absolutely irrelevant - the post you are responding to is 4 years old...

If we are about to ship mingw again, it will have to be refreshed thoroughtly....
Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #28528 is a reply to message #28526] Mon, 06 September 2010 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
luzr wrote on Mon, 06 September 2010 10:33

koldo wrote on Fri, 03 September 2010 02:07

Hello Mirek

I suggest to:

- keep Google automated builds as they are
- possibly put mingw releases to "official" sf.net downloads.

I agree 100%.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #29008 is a reply to message #28528] Fri, 01 October 2010 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rishi is currently offline  Rishi
Sdl is suck-licensed. Replace it with a permissive one. Else it will contaminate everything.
Put llvm instead of suck-licensed mingw.
This post is 2 years old but it is kept within first 5 threads. This shows this forum is inactive. :-D:-)Wink
Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #29017 is a reply to message #29008] Sat, 02 October 2010 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Rishi wrote on Fri, 01 October 2010 20:27

This post is 2 years old but it is kept within first 5 threads. This shows this forum is inactive. :-D:-)Wink
This thread is actually over four years old Smile But one month ago the same topic was discussed again, so the thread was reused and revived, that is why it's on top 5 (they are sorted by date of the last comment). The forum is actually very active Wink

As for the licenses, we are trying to keep it as permissive as possible. And nobody is forced to use mingw Wink I am not sure what is current state of llvm, but last time I checked it was working only for C, not C++. And clang is not ready to compile U++ yet, I think...

Anyway if you are that much into permissive licenses, you should probably abandon windows platform and start using something else, let's say some BSD system Wink Then you'd have not problems with migw, sdl etc.

Honza
Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #29039 is a reply to message #29017] Sun, 03 October 2010 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't hate proprietary. I hate the GPL and other copy-left sucking software.
Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #29040 is a reply to message #29039] Sun, 03 October 2010 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Add support for OGRE, portmidi, CEGUI, allegro and OpenSL ES.
The uppcore doesn't compile for beginners.
Add a precompiled binary of uppcore.
Don't forget fancy public domain Icons from Tango.
:):):):)Smile
Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #29041 is a reply to message #29039] Sun, 03 October 2010 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
Rishi wrote on Sun, 03 October 2010 08:59

I don't hate proprietary. I hate the GPL and other copy-left sucking software.

This "GPL and other copy-left sucking software" as you name it has allowed *many* people with few money to have access at tons of software they couldn't even look at if they were not GPLed.

And, as we're speaking about it, "open source" doesn't mean "use other's people software for free" but "use AND CONTRIBUTE TO other's people software".

Max
Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #29044 is a reply to message #29041] Sun, 03 October 2010 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I couldn't understand the post... I understand that the GPL definitely sucks by reading GPL... The OSS need to help proprietary. When proprietary end, OSS will slowly end its development. Competition is needed to the world. LGPL is not fair. LGPL, GPL are definitely suck with hardware and drivers (like robots).

/*I don't know when will android switch to the BSD kernel from Linux kernel if they prefer permissive.*/
Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 03 October 2010 16:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #29119 is a reply to message #29044] Wed, 06 October 2010 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I figured out an alternative. SFML instead of SDL. SFML and VCF Very Happy
Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #29121 is a reply to message #29119] Wed, 06 October 2010 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Rishi wrote on Wed, 06 October 2010 07:36

I figured out an alternative. SFML instead of SDL. SFML and VCF Very Happy

Hello Rishi

You are right. SFML and Allegro are very nice packages, with more options, more free license and updated frequently.

However the old, a bit less free, scarcely released SDL:

- matchs very well with ffmpeg video and audio
- directly support YUV overlay for fast video playing
- has a lot of coding samples

SFML seems to be very nice, with good options... For now, I will follow with SDL but I will separate more the packages:

- SDLCtrl
- Ffmpeg++
- AudioVideo including MediaPlayer control

this way it will be easier to plug it to other video-audio package.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #29125 is a reply to message #29121] Wed, 06 October 2010 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can we make U++ GPL incompatible (for direct modification)? We don't need advertising clause--Future GPL may support Adv. clauses.

GPL will ruin our plans.
All we have to do is publicly saying that derivatives can't be GPL but you can link GPL apps into it.

We don't have to allow one-way road--Better to close it. Very Happy

We are allowing GPL, but GPL doesn't allow code to be put on looser licenses. That is the only fault we did. The GPL will end Proprietary and everything - It also ends Open Spirit. If MS die, can you expect a better 'Linux/UNIX'?
They have been the best competitors. But one thing I can Say is -- If your project is taken over by LGPL by someone, The project will go w/o traces (like X11 and Xlib).::(:.

Can you imagine a world w/o proprietary?
People are becoming selfish.
We have to put the copy-left world to end -- in which everyone is selfish and jealous About others.
We don't need the 'advertising clause' for it -- later GPL and LGPL may allow advertising clause:(.
We have to publicly say that we don't allow copy-left direct modification in the license.

Quote:

Real Freedom is Worth much more than ~$300 million
Consider the value of the Apache HTTPD server. If you developed a method to quantify the economic impact of a given technology, Apache HTTPD would probably rank as the most economically significant open source product to date (other than sendmail or bind). Although impossible to accurately measure, the commercial impact of HTTPD is immense - I’d venture that if one were to put a monetary value on the technology that runs 2/3 of the web you’d end up with a figure in the hundreds of billions possibly more. This figure would not only factor in the value of the technology itself, but the value of the commercial ecosystem built atop it - services and products. Chances are high that the majority of people reading this blog entry have in some form or another profited from the work of the HTTPD server project. The key difference between the economic impact of a product like HTTPD and the economic impact of a product like JBoss is that the immense economic benefits of HTTPD haven’t been consolidated in one single corporate entity. This is due in no small part to the Apache Software License. “Free to take, free to change, free to distribute (just tell people where you got it from)”
So, calll me an idealist, but I’d much rather that the fruits of my own open-source “labor” be distributed widely. I’d much prefer to work on an Apache-licensed project with heavy involvement from IBM than a GPL-licensed project owned by Red Hat. Even if IBM is going to take my effort and resell it to many, I’m confident that I have the same rights for code that they contribute. In an Apache licensed project, there is a level playing field, there is an open ecosystem. Geronimo can welcome the participation of individuals and corporations like Virtuas alike, they all have equal right to benefit from the intellectual property developed - there are no second class citizens. I (or you) could take the Maven or Geronimo codebase tomorrow, customize it and sell it to some corporation for thousands of dollars without distributing source of my customizations - the FSF sees that as a bad thing, I see it as encouraging participation and allowing people to create a sustainable commercial “ecosystem” around open-source.
What causes the most damage? When a community is mediated by a single corporate commercial entity, you fail to attract those with casual, but valuable interest, and you end up creating a top-down corporate structure. Open communities like the Apache Software Foundation serve as a sort of neutral referee, they can more easily scale to meet market demand and keep up with the pace of innovation. This is not to say that open source foundations are perfect, the Apache Software Foundation itself tends to get bogged down in the governance process, but at least this process isn’t driven by the commercial interests of a single contributor. And the rules of Apache prevent a single commercial interest from gaining a controlling “share” of a particular PMC. In my view, the ASF exists to encourage open communities, and, IMO, the license is central to that effort.
An alternative reality: the GPL’d Apache HTTPD server
Imagine if there was a single company in 1996 that funded HTTPD development and licensed it under a reciprocal license like GPL. I’m certain that this project wouldn’t have seen the level of corporate and individual participation it has seen over the last ten years. A company like IBM probably would have balked at extending and enhancing such a system knowing that such altruism was simply subsidizing the operations of the controlling corporate organization. You wouldn’t have seen a whole constellation of commercial interests attracted to the development effort, you probably wouldn’t have seen the large number of books printed on the subject. When a company controls the community, you also tend to expect them to take care of the documentation.
If such a company had existed and the httpd server community was “owned” by a single corporate entity, I know what would have happened to that corporation in early 1997, They would have been purchased by Microsoft, and this would have affected the Linux adoption curve as well. If Apache HTTPD had been purchased by Microsoft in 1997, we’d be working in a dramatically different environment. Microsoft would have not only had a monopoly on the browser, they would have had a monopoly on the server-side as well. Java would have been dead on arrival. Technologies like Rails or PHP would have to go through the central mediator that is Redmond. We’d all be paying a lot more for software, and Microsoft would have brought httpd development to a close.
All of these GPL plays will fall off the radar one by one, InnoDB purchased by Oracle. MySQL will eventually be acquired, etc. These companies are buying these products because they want to be the original copyright owner and they want to eventually dual-license, extend and sell commercial licenses. This isn’t scare tactics as much as it is my fear that corporate / GPL / open-source strategies point toward consolidation and we’re not better for it.

Source

Some people are shy to say that they disallow copy-left and they put alternative barriers to copy-left. (Apache, BSD). We can't trust GPL-- Some day it will allow the 'Alternative methods' mentioned
Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #29126 is a reply to message #29125] Wed, 06 October 2010 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Please, this is not the place to push your personal anti-GPL agenda. As long as GPL does not limit our freedom (I mean of the project and the way we can use it), there is no reason to take such drastic steps.

And we can't say that you can link GPL applications in. That is not our right. GPL already grants and limits your right in its own way and we can not override it. If someone links with GPL and publishes the code, all the code is going to be GPL also.
Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #29132 is a reply to message #29126] Wed, 06 October 2010 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Then make ide gpl incompatible. :-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)Smile
Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #29135 is a reply to message #29132] Wed, 06 October 2010 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
Off-topic:
Rishi wrote on Wed, 06 October 2010 21:02

Then make ide gpl incompatible. :-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)SmileSmile

Hello Rishi,

U++ license was discussed in many topics, especially this one, so i think it's a closed subject.

Regarding your anti-GPL posts, there are people who love, don't care or hate GPL. Feel free to be in one of these categories, it's your choice and as long as it doesn't affect me, I personally don't care (and i think other don't care too), so please say your anti-GPL words in a place where you have supporters (people with same believes as you). If want to talk about GPL, it's fine doing that in another topic.

This topic isn't about SDL, OGRE, CEGUI, Allegro, portmidi, SMFL, etc. so please write about that in other topics and don't write just to be written, write if you (really) need help or give help. Don't pollute topics with off-topic replies.

Maybe it's a bit earlier (or not) for you to hear that, but it's time to grow up. Do much and talk less or you're doing otherwise Rolling Eyes

Best regards,
Andrei

P.S.:
How to ask questions the smart way

icon1.gif  Re: Working on new installer / makeinstall... [message #29137 is a reply to message #29135] Thu, 07 October 2010 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
I am talking about the libs TO BE included.
What about including boost? At lease Boost::threads?
I cannot help directly because:

I only know LibCurl and the sucking GTK+
I am less than 14 years old
I am busy on writing a progressbar for zpaqc and helping the author of it.
I don't have experience with the SVN and GIT. Sad

The above things are not off-topic. They are about LIBS.

But I may plan for libcurl updater later if anyone will put the source which I give on svn instead of putting myself Very Happy

If anything is bad, Forgive Me please.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 October 2010 09:31]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Memory leaks before program begin
Next Topic: Building 32 bit apps on Ubuntu64
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:12:24 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05348 seconds