Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » Draw, Display, Images, Bitmaps, Icons » WebP - new image format
WebP - new image format [message #29062] Mon, 04 October 2010 09:22 Go to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
http://code.google.com/speed/webp/

... soooooo ...
Shouldn't we make UPP one of first things in the world supporting it? Smile I think it can earn some nice share of PR.

I'm willing to look a bit into it, but need somebody who will keep nagging me and help with tedious stuff. Like reading the link I posted, because I don't have time right now, and write here what's the state of the format and if it's ready to be implemented.

And if there's some MIT/BSD compatible license lib, so it's just about upp plugin wrapper, or we have to recreate it from definition.

If anyone else is interested in this, write it here, so we know about each other and can coordinate our effort.
Re: WebP - new image format [message #29104 is a reply to message #29062] Tue, 05 October 2010 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Mon, 04 October 2010 03:22

http://code.google.com/speed/webp/

... soooooo ...
Shouldn't we make UPP one of first things in the world supporting it? Smile I think it can earn some nice share of PR.

There is nothing that could stop stop you Smile

And this would go directly into uppsrc too...
Re: WebP - new image format [message #29107 is a reply to message #29062] Tue, 05 October 2010 11:35 Go to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
"progress" so far:

- licenses look to be mostly MIT + patent grant from Google, so there doesn't look to be real problem.

- source code is a bit more tricky, for decoding/encoding you need whole VP8 (video codec) lib, because WebP uses parts of it. (I don't think ripping out just WebP related parts is good idea, in the end having support for VP8 shouldn't hurt too, I'm just afraid about size and dependencies of it) (todo: check the lib and evaluate it's inclusion in upp)
Then there's the RIFF data encapsulation (maybe already part of UPP sources, didn't check yet, but it's quite possible, if not, it should be easy to add)

And there's some more available source code from google as plugin for leptonica (which looks MIT/BSD compatible as well), and conversion tool standing aside (probably useless for us).

This sort of distracted me, I did expect some nice lib with picture only encoder/decoder...

We have already leptonica in bazaar, so it may be to get preliminary WebP support all we need is to update leptonica package.

Still the proper goal should be standalone uppsrc/plugin/webp (IMHO).

That's all from me so far, next time I will probably check the vp8 lib finally and see how it looks. In the meantime updating bazaar/leptonica may be good idea and then check what it added about webp support and if it helps with something. Mdelfede is original author of bazaar package?

edit: Mirek: my (lack of) determination may stop me, let's see how far it will go, and whether somebody will help me to stay on track.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 October 2010 11:38]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: GetExifThumbnail doc
Next Topic: Default line cap and join
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:26:21 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01041 seconds