Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » Look and Chameleon Technology » Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP)
Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29227] Tue, 12 October 2010 09:05 Go to next message
porto is currently offline  porto
There is a strange issue with UPP windows rendering: the window title bar becomes rounded shape (themed) not immediately, but first rectangle is drawn. Animated GIF File is attached. Native applications that use WinAPI and QT apps don't have this issue. It's a little bit annoying. Can you explain or fix it?

Sorry for bad English.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 October 2010 16:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29241 is a reply to message #29227] Wed, 13 October 2010 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Porto

Excellent gif to explain it. However I cannot reproduce it, perhaps because window opening in my case is so fast that I cannot see the defect.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29251 is a reply to message #29241] Wed, 13 October 2010 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello koldo!
Maybe your system is too fast. The best way to see this issue is to use an application that can record video screenshots, and then play the recorded video in slow motion mode or by frames.
I made another animation with this program:
http://www.wisdom-soft.com/downloads/setupautoscreenrecorder free.exe
If you will try this app, don't set "Object / Window" of "Active window" in "Record What" section. I dod't know why, but these options don't work properly with UPP windows for me.

Animation file is attached. (This animation is recorded on other system)

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2010 10:53]

Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29254 is a reply to message #29251] Wed, 13 October 2010 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello porto

I have used your program to record the desktop but I did not get the problem.

I was wondering if the issue is not about how a new window is rendered, but about how an U++ application fills the upper borders of a window that is opened over it.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29257 is a reply to message #29254] Wed, 13 October 2010 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're right, I incorrectly described the issue - it's about how an U++ application fills the upper borders of a window.
Very strange. I'm getting this issue on 3 different systems with WindowsXP.
What operating system and version of UPP do you use? Can you upload your recorded video?

P.S. Can you ask the developers, maybe they would look at my post with a description of the issue? I really liked UPP, but a little bit annoying this issue.

P.P.S. I have just tried to record another video, and at first in slow view mode I dont't noticed the issue. But when I loaded the video to VirtualDub and watched it frame by frame - I noticed this issue.

Thanks.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2010 14:54]

Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29258 is a reply to message #29251] Wed, 13 October 2010 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

I think I saw this effect when parsing progress indicator dialog showed up. In other cases I was not able to see it. Open CtrlCore/Win32Wnd.cpp. There is InitWin32 method. Try to change values for wc.hbrBackground and/or wc.style (maybe CS_SAVEBITS or 0x20000 causes this, try to remove them). It's just an idea. Hard to say what's the source of the problem.
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29259 is a reply to message #29258] Wed, 13 October 2010 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, I tried to do as you wrote, but it didn't help. Maybe I did something wrong. I'd love to know the opinion of UPP creators about this issue, if it's of course possible...

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2010 18:08]

Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29262 is a reply to message #29259] Wed, 13 October 2010 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
porto wrote on Wed, 13 October 2010 09:37

Thanks, I tried to do as you wrote, but it didn't help. Maybe I did something wrong. I'd love to know the opinion of UPP creators about this issue, if it's of course possible...

Well, the problem is we have little influence there: All windows borders (including these round corners) are in fact drawn by win32.

Does this happen if window gets opened over U++ app? In that case the issue is most likely caused by delayed rendering of underlying window.

Is it only delay, or you have to move the window to make it look right?

Mirek
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29275 is a reply to message #29262] Wed, 13 October 2010 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Does this happen if window gets opened over U++ app?

No, this happens in any case (for new UPP windows too) whith every UPP app, but sometimes it's hard to notice.

Quote:

Is it only delay, or you have to move the window to make it look right?

It's only delay.

I'll say it again, the issue arises on an different computers running Windows XP. Native WinAPI apps or e.g. apps that use QT don't have this issue. Perhaps it is not necessary to pay your attention, but I would like to UPP application looked more natively in Windows.

Does not anyone notice this issue? I noticed this around 3 years ago when I first meet whith UPP. This is a wonderful framework!

[Updated on: Wed, 13 October 2010 20:05]

Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29276 is a reply to message #29275] Wed, 13 October 2010 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
No, never noticed it and I have an eye for things like this. Are your systems new or old? Do they have the same video card/driver?

And a question for Mirek: does U++ create the underlying WinAPI frame in one go? I am sure you are aware that for some properties, updating them is not enough and you have to "recreate" the HWND. I ran into this problem with my ancient WinAPI wrapper. This doesn't affect us that much because our widgets don't wrap native ones, but still maybe it is related to this?
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29277 is a reply to message #29276] Wed, 13 October 2010 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of my systems is a netbook ASUS Eee PC 1001P, the second system is a modern desktop with discrete video (NVidia GSO 9600). My third system is 4 years old (Pentium 4 3Ghz, int. video). But I saw this issue on other systems. Every system I tried runs Windows XP SP3.
Now this issue is mystycal for me... Sad

For Mirek: May be a delay happens at the stage of initializing the window? Because when a window is moving, or when it is minimizing / maximizing issue doesn't occur.
And a silly assumption: all of my systems are running Russian edition of Windows XP. Can there be a reason for this issue?

[Updated on: Thu, 14 October 2010 07:25]

Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29294 is a reply to message #29262] Thu, 14 October 2010 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found a better way to see this issue.
Download this app (it slows down the CPU):
http://www.cpukiller.com/cpukil305.zip
install it, set the "Slow Down Factor" (I set it on 95%), start slowing down CPU. Now, this issue will be visible very well.
I observed as native applications and applications written using QT. They did not have this defect.
If no one will confirm this issue, I will perform yet another experiment: I will install a clean copy of Windows XP SP3 Eng in VirtualBox and try to notice this issue there.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 October 2010 11:00]

Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29295 is a reply to message #29227] Thu, 14 October 2010 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Don't you use some special theme or something like windows blinds?

I'm using "win classic" (like Win2000) theme, so I have sharp corners and no problems at all.
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29296 is a reply to message #29295] Thu, 14 October 2010 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For mr_ped: I am using standart WinXP Luna theme. When I'm switching theme to "classic", I don't see this issue too.
What is your OS? If it's Windows XP, can you try to use "Luna" theme and "Cpukiller3"?

[Updated on: Thu, 14 October 2010 11:29]

Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29304 is a reply to message #29262] Thu, 14 October 2010 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have already started to doubt myself, because no one notices the issue. I performed an experiment with VirtualBox and clean copy of Windos XP SP3 Eng. Now I can confidently say: the issue is exist. Download the attached files, open them in VirtualDub and see the range of frames from the names of these files. The first file:

[Updated on: Sat, 16 October 2010 10:02] by Moderator

Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29306 is a reply to message #29227] Thu, 14 October 2010 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

From your videos, it looks to me like it only happens when there is a window behind the "wrong rendered" one and even only when the app is busy with something else then repainting. To be sure could you try to find out if this effect happens when you open some U++ window on top of any other application? IMHO the bottom window reacts slowly on the requests to repaint the area of rounded corners and you can notice it (that also explains why it takes longer if you keep the cpu busy with cpukill). I'm not an expert, but I am afraid there is most likely no solution if that's the case...

Honza
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29307 is a reply to message #29306] Thu, 14 October 2010 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce wrote on Thu, 14 October 2010 20:42

To be sure could you try to find out if this effect happens when you open some U++ window on top of any other application?

Yes, it happens too.
Thank you for your comment. Before, I sometimes noticed that the UPP applications are opened on a clean desktop had this issue.
I still hope that a solution must be, because in other frameworks I didn't notice anything like it.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 October 2010 14:27]

Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29324 is a reply to message #29307] Fri, 15 October 2010 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
In this very case, it is a Windows problem - that applet to remove apps is responsible repainting itself.

I would say if you would move the prompt somewhere, where would be whole black areas behind - because applet is busy and does not process WM_PAINT painting requests...
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29325 is a reply to message #29324] Fri, 15 October 2010 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
P.S.: Do not post .avi files into the forum. I guess if you need to post video, put it to the youtube and link it...
Re: Question to UPP developers: the issue with windows rendering (Windows XP) [message #29326 is a reply to message #29324] Fri, 15 October 2010 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
But what about the cases described above? Is it possible to fix this issue?

P.S. Sorry for posting .avi files.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 October 2010 14:30]

Previous Topic: Style: DefaultInk / default
Next Topic: HotSpots usage HOWTO
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:02:48 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.99963 seconds