Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Widgets - General questions or Mixed problems » Borderless always-on-top non-modal window
Borderless always-on-top non-modal window [message #2926] Sun, 30 April 2006 12:47 Go to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member

I have an idea a borderless always-on-top non-modal window isn't possible in X11, however, for Windows only ...

TopWindow::SyncCaption doesn't support it either, so I guess I have to call SetWindowLong myself and not call Style() or ExStyle(). Is this likely to work as long as I avoid any "property setting" functions like zoomable, or might this get screwed up somewhere e.g. U++ might call SyncCaption when I'm not expecting it to ?

Graeme
Re: Borderless always-on-top non-modal window [message #2927 is a reply to message #2926] Sun, 30 April 2006 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
It can get called.

Save time and use popup...

Mirek
Re: Borderless always-on-top non-modal window [message #2937 is a reply to message #2927] Mon, 01 May 2006 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Mon, 01 May 2006 00:24

It can get called.

Mirek

Yes, I'm aware of popup but I suspect it's not gonna do what I want. I'm trying to create an "appbar" - a Microsoft type toolbar that pops up when you drag the mouse to the edge of the screen, except that the MS one doesn't work reliably or do everything I want so I'm making my own.

I need a one-pixel wide window that I will make one or two inches long that sits "on-top" at any chosen edge and detects mouse movement, at which point it pops up a toolbar window (which could be itself, expanding in size) and goes away automatically a short time after the mouse has left the popup window.

I don't think popup will work for the narrow on-top, mouse movement detecting window part of this because popup grabs the focus as soon as it appears and dies as soon as it loses the focus - right ??

What I want is more like a floating on-top toolbar with no title-bar.

What do you mean when you say "it can get called" - do you mean I will have problems trying to bypass SyncCaption?

Graeme

Re: Borderless always-on-top non-modal window [message #2948 is a reply to message #2937] Mon, 01 May 2006 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
gprentice wrote on Sun, 30 April 2006 18:20

luzr wrote on Mon, 01 May 2006 00:24

It can get called.

Mirek

Yes, I'm aware of popup but I suspect it's not gonna do what I want. I'm trying to create an "appbar" - a Microsoft type toolbar that pops up when you drag the mouse to the edge of the screen, except that the MS one doesn't work reliably or do everything I want so I'm making my own.

I need a one-pixel wide window that I will make one or two inches long that sits "on-top" at any chosen edge and detects mouse movement, at which point it pops up a toolbar window (which could be itself, expanding in size) and goes away automatically a short time after the mouse has left the popup window.

I don't think popup will work for the narrow on-top, mouse movement detecting window part of this because popup grabs the focus as soon as it appears and dies as soon as it loses the focus - right ??

What I want is more like a floating on-top toolbar with no title-bar.

What do you mean when you say "it can get called" - do you mean I will have problems trying to bypass SyncCaption?

Graeme

Hm, what about just periodically detecting mouse position?

Mirek
Re: Borderless always-on-top non-modal window [message #2949 is a reply to message #2948] Mon, 01 May 2006 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Mon, 01 May 2006 20:08

Hm, what about just periodically detecting mouse position?

Mirek

yep, I had thought of that, but I fear the overhead and slower response, but I guess it would have the benefit of possibly working on non-Windows platform.

I don't suppose U++ has a wrapper function for detecting mouse position?

Graeme
Re: Borderless always-on-top non-modal window [message #2952 is a reply to message #2949] Mon, 01 May 2006 11:31 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
Point GetMousePos();

Mirek
Previous Topic: ColumnList question (sort column)
Next Topic: Could anyone create a small example with the new ScrollArea?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:07:34 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03930 seconds