Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Usage of DUMPC and other macros by using flags
Usage of DUMPC and other macros by using flags [message #29338] Fri, 15 October 2010 15:21 Go to next message
281264 is currently offline  281264
Experienced Member
Hi,

Is there an easy way to control (whether you want them to be executed depending upon you are debugging or not) the execution of, for instance, DUMPC() by using the flags defined in Main Package Configuration dialog?

I have done the following:

1.- I created a flag in the Main Package Configuration:

field Flags: .FLAGDEBUG (the point is for its application in this specific package, is it not?
Field Optional names: flagDEBUG.

2.- I created a .h file like this:
#ifdef flagDEBUG 
	#define DEPUR(a) DUMPC(a)
#else
	#define DEPUR(a)
#endif

3.- I created an additional flag NORMAL (just to control the usage ot DUMPC)

4.- in the .cpp file:
DEPUR(vector);

So, it works but it is not elegant at all; so is there a more direct (less baroque) way to do it?

Thank you,

Javier
Re: Usage of DUMPC and other macros by using flags [message #29340 is a reply to message #29338] Fri, 15 October 2010 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Javier,

The DEBUG flag is set up automaticaly when compiling in Debug mode. You can test it with #ifdef flagDEBUG in your code.

The debugging macros DUMP,DUMPC,DUMPM,LOG etc. are already defined only in debug mode, you don't have to take care of that yourself.

I guess that is all you need Wink Your solution was of course correct, but unnecessary. BTW the code behind the LOG, DUMP,... is basicaly the same as yours Wink

Additionally, if you use the dot (.FLAG), then it is used for the main package and for any package that has this FLAG in its Accept field in package manager.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Usage of DUMPC and other macros by using flags [message #29343 is a reply to message #29340] Fri, 15 October 2010 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Honza,

Thank you. Definitely U++ design is well thought out!

Cheers,

Javier
Re: Usage of DUMPC and other macros by using flags [message #29345 is a reply to message #29338] Fri, 15 October 2010 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
An additional question regarding ASSERT() macro; how can it be activated/deactivated? I have tried compiling both MSC Debug and Optimal and in both cases it is always activated.

Javier
Re: Usage of DUMPC and other macros by using flags [message #29347 is a reply to message #29345] Fri, 15 October 2010 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

281264 wrote on Fri, 15 October 2010 17:50

An additional question regarding ASSERT() macro; how can it be activated/deactivated? I have tried compiling both MSC Debug and Optimal and in both cases it is always activated.

Javier

The idea behind ASSERT is that it should never, ever trigger. The condition in it is ussualy protecting something that would lead into application crash or data coruption, so it is ussualy safer to let the application crash in semi-controllable manner before it demages something. But as I said alreay: good production code should never trigger them anyway Wink

If you want to use them in debug mode, then you'll have to define your own, using something like the code in the first post.

Honza
Re: Usage of DUMPC and other macros by using flags [message #29350 is a reply to message #29347] Fri, 15 October 2010 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Thanks. Perhaps it is more convenient using standard C/C++ assert and #define NDEBUG macro. What is the actual advantage of ASSERT compared with C/C++ assert?

Cheers,

Javier
Re: Usage of DUMPC and other macros by using flags [message #29353 is a reply to message #29350] Fri, 15 October 2010 21:52 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

281264 wrote on Fri, 15 October 2010 19:53

Thanks. Perhaps it is more convenient using standard C/C++ assert and #define NDEBUG macro. What is the actual advantage of ASSERT compared with C/C++ assert?

Cheers,

Javier

I am not really comfortable with standart C++, so I am not sure what assert does Smile But I believe the advantages of U++ ASSERT might be 1) gui error report in GUI, 2) automatic break when run in debugger and 3) possibility to run custom cleanup function (set using "SetAssertFailedHook(void (*h)(const char *))" ).

Honza
Previous Topic: I'm a U newbie
Next Topic: tar library for u++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:33:53 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01536 seconds