FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Using U++ without UppIDE
Using U++ without UppIDE [message #29765] Mon, 15 November 2010 16:41 Go to next message
Apoptyzm is currently offline  Apoptyzm
Hello,
i would like to use U++ in my application, but i dont want to migrate with everything to UppIDE. I just want to maintain layout in UppIDE, and implement all the rest in Visual Studio.

Looking at the U++ it seems it's not designed to be used outside the UppIDE. i can't find any simple tutorial about it. Dlls are hidden in some magic directories, and seems to be corrupt, and so on...

Is there anyone using U++ outside U++IDE for Windows based apps?

[Updated on: Mon, 15 November 2010 16:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Using U++ without UppIDE [message #29766 is a reply to message #29765] Mon, 15 November 2010 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Apoptyzm wrote on Mon, 15 November 2010 16:41

Hello,
i would like to use U++ in my application, but i dont want to migrate with everything to UppIDE. I just want to maintain layout in UppIDE, and implement all the rest in Visual Studio.

Hi Apoptyzm,
Welcome to the forum Wink It is possible to use U++ code separately, it is just plain C++ after all. It might not be simple, but it can be achieved. You are not the first one (and probably also not the last Smile ) to ask this question... By the way: It is "TheIDE", not UppIDE Wink

Looking at the U++ it seems it's not designed to be used outside the UppIDE. i can't find any simple tutorial about it. Dlls are hidden in some magic directories, and seems to be corrupt, and so on...
The overall design revolves a lot around the "package" paradigm, that is dividing the code into small modular parts. To reasonably manage that you need either tool that understands the .upp files, or some patience to read them yourself and transform them into Visual Studio project or whatever else you need (don't worry, they're easy to understand).

AFAIK absolute majority of U++ users uses TheIDE, so that is the reason why there is no tutorial aimed in this direction.

There are no DLLs (apart from libs that come from windows SDK, but those are not distributed with U++ plus few exceptions in bazaar), so they can't be broken Wink U++ compiles statically as much as possible.

Is there anyone using U++ outside U++IDE for Windows based apps?
I can't talk for windows based apps, but on Linux I was able to create a Makefile capable of compiling any U++ project (based only on info it found in .upp files). On windows thing are not that easy, but I am pretty sure it is possible to create a Visual Studio project that will allow you to compile simple gui apps.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Using U++ without UppIDE [message #29776 is a reply to message #29766] Tue, 16 November 2010 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
There is a lot of information on this forum if you search it.

My advice is to start slow. Take s simple console example from the samples included in U++, take a look at the packages and try to replicate it in Visual Studio. Packages are folders after all. So a workspace with tree projects should work. There are some extra steps involved, but first see if this works for you. You don't need than many projects, but unless you are experienced with C++ build system, libraries and include paths this is the safest way IMO.
Re: Using U++ without UppIDE [message #29778 is a reply to message #29765] Tue, 16 November 2010 09:42 Go to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Also use Setup / Be verbose in TheIDE if you want to see exact compilation commands used by TheIDE (may help setting up VS project properly to compile U++ sources).

Just take some more advanced example, set it up to desired way of compilation (basically it boils down to single or multi-threaded and of course debug/release), hit rebuild all and check the output window to get idea how upp application is build.
Previous Topic: Static Ctrl Picture and .iml
Next Topic: Socket - send multiple lines
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 05:27:43 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.69420 seconds