Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » TheIde Pixelated icons?
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22083 is a reply to message #22081] Tue, 16 June 2009 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ptDev is currently offline  ptDev
Promising Member
Concluded version 1.0 of BarArt, the following fixes were implemented:

- Improved contrast in some 16x16 icons.
- Added images for theIDE: a few package icons and an internationalization icon.
- Reproduced theIDE application icon (included as a 128x128 image in BarArt48 class): tried to keep the classic look, but make it a bit shinier.
- Added Building_1() and Building_2() icons as an animation for theIDE app icon while it's building.
- Added contact information for the author of the Silk icon package
- Added separate icon list file for all classes in the package.

Known issues:

- Designer icons still missing.
- Some images in Silk class are rendered with a white background, this is caused by inconsistent alpha channels. There are over 1000 (!) icons in this class, so it's better to fix this only as needed, rather than comb every single image. Although it's easy to open the icons in the Image Editor and fix them, please PM me and let me know which need correcting, so that I can include the Silk fixes alongside the BarArt ones.

You can see a preview running under Vista here:

index.php?t=getfile&id=1802&private=0

[Updated on: Wed, 17 June 2009 15:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22092 is a reply to message #22083] Wed, 17 June 2009 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
The zipped package is here for testing.

Regards,
Francisco

Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22095 is a reply to message #22092] Wed, 17 June 2009 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
janwilmans is currently offline  janwilmans

I will test asap (which will probably be friday)

Gr,

Jan

Jan (skyhawk)
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22136 is a reply to message #22095] Fri, 19 June 2009 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Should be moved to bazaar.

Mirek
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22140 is a reply to message #22136] Fri, 19 June 2009 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Now that I'm thinking about it, I should add the possibility to my theme loader to load a set of images. The only question is how to identify these images. Should we have some fixed string names for images, like "file_open"?

BTW, I like Silk.
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22141 is a reply to message #22140] Fri, 19 June 2009 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
cbpporter wrote on Fri, 19 June 2009 14:43

Now that I'm thinking about it, I should add the possibility to my theme loader to load a set of images. The only question is how to identify these images. Should we have some fixed string names for images, like "file_open"?

BTW, I like Silk.

Silk seems to be very popular indeed. We all like it. Smile
(I just fear my hard work making new icons was for naught Sad )

wxWidgets has a pluggable artwork framework called "ArtProvider", where they define a number of standard icon names and allow alternate artwork to be pushed preserving consistency (they do use ugly ALLCAPS_CONSTANTS for everything, though). Perhaps a similar solution could be implemented for this.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 June 2009 15:02]

Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22142 is a reply to message #22141] Fri, 19 June 2009 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Well yours a fine too, but much too blurry. If you could reduce the blurriness factor they would look much better IMO. I know that this is 2009, but not everything needs to be antialiased Smile.

I'll try to compile a list of icons and post it in the themeing thread for review after I finish my zip support.

Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22144 is a reply to message #22092] Fri, 19 June 2009 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Screenshot of some of the bArt icon in upp

index.php?t=getfile&id=1808&private=0

Jan (skyhawk)
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22145 is a reply to message #22144] Fri, 19 June 2009 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Another screenshot.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1809&private=0

I agree that some icons need to be less blurry, anti-aliasing is one thing, but it shouldn't make the meaning of the icons hard to make out Smile

Also there are quite a few icons in theide (>50) I think, not all of them are immediately apparent (like the FastSource/FastPackage)
I think BarArt is a good start. Now that we have at least a partial alternative set of icons we should device a way to make them dynamically loadable at runtime, I'm thinking of 'theme-art directories' that contain a index file to match internal icon names to actual icons.

Gr,

Jan

Jan (skyhawk)

[Updated on: Fri, 19 June 2009 15:44]

Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22147 is a reply to message #22145] Fri, 19 June 2009 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Glad for the constructive feedback, and especially glad that the alternative TheIDE icon ended up looking good. Smile

I'm going to rework (probably, again from start) a bunch of icons to make them sharp enough to be clear - cut/copy/paste and file icons are very important, so I'll give those extra attention.

While a standard artwork mapping method is defined, I'll make a new version of BarArt, and if you come accross any Silk icons with a faded white background, send me their names, so that I can clear the background. That icon set is very complete, and we could reskin TheIDE much faster by adopting it.
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22149 is a reply to message #22147] Fri, 19 June 2009 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
I'd like to make a reference to a topic that was already opened a while ago about icons refactoring :

http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=977 0

An integration of the Tango standard icons was suggested and posted, and I already made reference to the Silk icons set. Maybe you should try to contact each others to benefit of the work already done...

regards,
Lionel
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22159 is a reply to message #22149] Sat, 20 June 2009 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Well, everyone seems to agree we should make this configurable, I would like to add/propose: configurable at runtime, so an executable should be able to contain multiple sets/skins/themes whatever we decide to call it.

The question now is, who is going to be implementing it Smile
I'm very inexperienced with the U++ libs myself, but as I have said before, I would like to learn...

Gr,

Jan

Jan (skyhawk)
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22175 is a reply to message #22159] Mon, 22 June 2009 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
As for the issue of icon names... In fact, everything needed is already there.

Any image in .iml has its name and is addressable by the name and iml class name (like CtrlImg).

At the same time, it is possible to overwrite any icon.

see

int    GetImlCount();
String GetImlName(int i);
Iml&   GetIml(int i);
int    FindIml(const char *name);
Image  GetImlImage(const char *name);
void   SetImlImage(const char *name, const Image& m);

If you can provide "alternate .iml", just make names the same and we can then simply write 10 lines of code to "patch" existing iml class with anything else.

Mirek
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22247 is a reply to message #22083] Sat, 27 June 2009 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

ptDev wrote on Wed, 17 June 2009 01:58

index.php?t=getfile&id=1802&private=0
I like this new style of logo. I`ll surely try to make big version using this idea.
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #22252 is a reply to message #21851] Sat, 27 June 2009 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I personally find "silk" ones very good and professional. And honestly, I think "BarArt" is not that good yet.
icon13.gif  Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #29367 is a reply to message #22252] Sat, 16 October 2010 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rishi is currently offline  Rishi
Please anyone make some effort... binaries...?
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #29390 is a reply to message #21851] Mon, 18 October 2010 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Rishi: there's also lot of experimental art in this thread:
http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=4251& amp;start=0&
including also my own TheIDE icon, which I still like much more then current one Smile
( http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&&th= 4251&goto=22381#msg_22381 )
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #30019 is a reply to message #29390] Fri, 03 December 2010 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor

I propose changing U++ IDE icon to somewhat little version of current *logo* (it was Mirek's good idea to use magnet). Personally, it looks much more modern than old pixelated one. Have a look how it looks between other Windows 7 icons. IMHO, rather worthy:
index.php?t=getfile&id=2959&private=0

[Updated on: Fri, 03 December 2010 12:36]

Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #30022 is a reply to message #30019] Fri, 03 December 2010 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
It looks good.

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: TheIde Pixelated icons? [message #30023 is a reply to message #30022] Fri, 03 December 2010 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Experienced Contributor

OK, here are the icons in case you need them.
  • Attachment: theide16.png
    (Size: 0.94KB, Downloaded 307 times)
Previous Topic: An unimportant bug - Clicking detail arrow when debugging crashes TheIDE
Next Topic: PROPOSAL: "MyClass + MyClassTest" Template in TheIDE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:01:53 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04643 seconds