Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » Linux-oriented field report
Linux-oriented field report [message #3041] Fri, 05 May 2006 05:57 Go to next message
Werner is currently offline  Werner
Experienced Member
I have found the following SUSE Linux-oriented field report:

http://beranger.org/index.php?article=409

I have added it to my web site LINK OUT OF DATE, too.

Werner

[Updated on: Sat, 05 May 2007 09:27] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Linux-oriented field report [message #3043 is a reply to message #3041] Fri, 05 May 2006 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
I think, the owner must update its website, especially:
Quote:

What are the dark parts of upp?

* The documentation. Starting to get used with it for getting serious results is not the easiest thing in the world. It's better to dig into the sources (and you have to be a C++ guru) and to subscribe to their mailing lists.

Or you, Werner, add comments that the website is outdated : Sep 14, 2005 (06:17 PM)! It's been a loooong time ago!

There are more sites on the WWW saying "Ultimate++ don't have forums"...

And I don't agree with "you have to be a C++ guru". I repeat once again "some people start writing tutorials after 1 month with U++ and no C++ experience at all!"

And from Sep 14, 2005 (06:17 PM) Ultimate++ has progressed a lot.
Re: Linux-oriented field report [message #3044 is a reply to message #3043] Fri, 05 May 2006 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
fudadmin wrote on Fri, 05 May 2006 02:16

I think, the owner must update its website, especially:
Quote:

What are the dark parts of upp?

* The documentation. Starting to get used with it for getting serious results is not the easiest thing in the world. It's better to dig into the sources (and you have to be a C++ guru) and to subscribe to their mailing lists.

Or you, Werner, add comments that the website is outdated : Sep 14, 2005 (06:17 PM)! It's been a loooong time ago!

There are more sites on the WWW saying "Ultimate++ don't have forums"...

And I don't agree with "you have to be a C++ guru". I repeat once again "some people start writing tutorials after 1 month with U++ and no C++ experience at all!"

And from Sep 14, 2005 (06:17 PM) Ultimate++ has progressed a lot.

Come on, that was blog entry....

Mirek
Re: Linux-oriented field report [message #3048 is a reply to message #3044] Fri, 05 May 2006 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Blog entry? I haven't noticed. So other people might not notice. This way wrong info is spreading. But, it's up to you...
Re: Linux-oriented field report [message #3049 is a reply to message #3048] Fri, 05 May 2006 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
fudadmin wrote on Fri, 05 May 2006 03:15

Blog entry? I haven't noticed. So other people might not notice. This way wrong info is spreading. But, it's up to you...

I guess that if you want to fight with misinformation, there are much better ways than alerting www content authors.

There are public forums (like that CodeProject or our wiki-spaces) where you can post articles showing the real potential of U++. Much more effective IMHO.

BTW, one little note about "marketing bubble". I was thinking a lot about the idea that we should "finish" (whatever that means) U++ first and make PR later. I believe that is completely wrong:

First, while perhaps lacking some features now, this collection of buttons is deadly useful for quite a large set of applications.

Second, more important, large community will show us what is really important to add.

Finally, the most important, large community is more likely to contribute. If you want feature complete, the best bet is to involve more programmers.

Mirek
Re: Linux-oriented field report [message #3052 is a reply to message #3049] Fri, 05 May 2006 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Yes, I agree. I must publish somewhere that Ultimate++ has the worst unsearchable help system among all software.
Re: Linux-oriented field report [message #3053 is a reply to message #3041] Fri, 05 May 2006 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Werner is currently offline  Werner
Experienced Member
May I just suggest to follow the cited link and actually read the report?

My link points to a report dated December 12, 2005 though it begins with a link to a report dated September 14, 2005.

Werner

Re: Linux-oriented field report [message #3054 is a reply to message #3053] Fri, 05 May 2006 13:13 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Werner wrote on Fri, 05 May 2006 10:58

May I just suggest to follow the cited link and actually read the report?

My link points to a report dated December 12, 2005 though it begins with a link to a report dated September 14, 2005.

Werner

I actually followed the link in the report "See my older post upp: Ultimate++ first."... but, because there was no link back, I didn't go back. Let's say I'm alone who forgets to go back...

But thanks for mentioning it. Because I've found that I'm not alone about Topic++:
from Dec 22, 2005 (06:46 AM) report

I have to admit the whole thing is a little too complex for my brains Smile, and using stuff like "Topic++" (Assist -> Topic++ or just CTRL+ENTER), "Browser++" (Assist -> Show Browser++ or just CTRL+B) and all the different areas of the IDE is... well... a little too complex, just like I said.

Very polite way to say "rubbish"...
Edit:
not about you Werner - about the help system!...

[Updated on: Fri, 05 May 2006 13:24]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Is current t++ documentation style too verbose?
Next Topic: GEO Documentation or Samples
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:23:07 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01099 seconds