Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » TheIde new look and new features
TheIde new look and new features [message #30485] Tue, 04 January 2011 17:33 Go to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

It's not the secret that theide doesn't look too modern these days. It's very useful and intuitive* but its look wasn't refreshed from a long time. I would like to do something about that. My plan is to create ide style that could be chosen in ide options and if it became accepted to make it default. First thing I tried are new splitters. Have a look:
index.php?t=getfile&id=3015&private=0
Workspace seems to be cleaner now, and there is a little bit more space everywhere. Next step would be toolbar style and its icons, then help system - a better integration and navigation (for example I don't like help as a tab so I planned to add option to show it in a separate window or split it between editor and right side of ide like in qt creator). Docking must wait until I fix all errors there. If you have any opinion about that or any ideas please share Smile

* Famous "insert package directory file" isn't intuitive - but only the first time you run theide Smile
  • Attachment: ide.png
    (Size: 40.54KB, Downloaded 1367 times)

[Updated on: Thu, 20 January 2011 15:05] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: TheIde new look [message #30486 is a reply to message #30485] Tue, 04 January 2011 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Very good! Smile

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: TheIde new look [message #30487 is a reply to message #30485] Tue, 04 January 2011 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
some points:
1. Is it possible now in upp to choose style files from menu? Or styles are hard compiled?
2. Could you, please, remove that MS windows sacred trio "cut-copy-paste" Smile from the toolbar? I think, everyone knows those as shortcuts...
3. One main menu tree would ok as in Opera.
4. Configurable toolbar options
Re: TheIde new look [message #30490 is a reply to message #30487] Tue, 04 January 2011 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, I guess is is about the time to improve looks... Smile

WRT to icons, I guess we should use some free sets. The question is whether we should aim for configurable? (I mean, allow more sets of icons). I think it would not hurt and is relitevely easy to do.

Re: TheIde new look [message #30493 is a reply to message #30490] Wed, 05 January 2011 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

mirek wrote on Tue, 04 January 2011 13:22

Well, I guess is is about the time to improve looks... Smile

WRT to icons, I guess we should use some free sets. The question is whether we should aim for configurable? (I mean, allow more sets of icons). I think it would not hurt and is relitevely easy to do.

Sure and this should not be only possible for toolbar but also for assist, designer etc.
Re: TheIde new look [message #30519 is a reply to message #30493] Thu, 06 January 2011 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
My priority would be the menus. They are organized in a way that is probably considered logical, even by me, but they tend to defy convention. And it confuses people. I've seen experienced and good coders stumble upon simple things like there is no "open file" in the file menu. And then proceeding to dismiss TheIDE as some cheap ide wannabe.

Not all menus need work. "Edit" is OK, but I would still move some find options out of the nesting menu. And add a "Help" menu. And it must be last.

I said this before: it is "Set main package..." not "Set main package..". Back then I lacked confidence to change this without approval, but I might end up raiding SVN only to change this Twisted Evil.

Also the 20 different places where you can put build options are confusing.

Those two lines after "Select all" (that is using a copy icon) seem redundant.

There was a lot of talk about using Tango icons. But I like the standard Windows icons for open, edit, etc. So it should be customizable.

I am kind of busy in this period, but after I'm done with my loc quota I could try and help.
Re: TheIde new look [message #30524 is a reply to message #30485] Thu, 06 January 2011 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MatthiasG is currently offline  MatthiasG
Promising Member
not really something that has to do with ide look, but could someone implement to make the filelist of a package sortable in alphabetical order. or if something like this already exist point me to where to activate this.

greetings,
Matthias
Re: TheIde new look [message #30525 is a reply to message #30485] Thu, 06 January 2011 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
you can do it by hand in TheIDE by Ctrl+Alt+arrowsUp/Down (I think).
Or you may open the particular .upp file in OOo Calc (excel?) and use sort on lines (use selection to modify only file names, also take note of separators and sort only inside groups), fix "," ";" at end of file names, save back. Open IDE back.
Re: TheIde new look [message #30544 is a reply to message #30524] Fri, 07 January 2011 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
MatthiasG wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 08:53

not really something that has to do with ide look, but could someone implement to make the filelist of a package sortable in alphabetical order. or if something like this already exist point me to where to activate this.

greetings,
Matthias

Not that I like this idea (I tend to carefully place files to groups etc..), but as option it might be nice.

The question is whether as "one time" operation, or "always sorted" option...
Re: TheIde new look [message #30545 is a reply to message #30544] Fri, 07 January 2011 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

That can be useful if project consists of packages with lot of files. But sorting isn't trivial if file list have separators Smile I think the best strategy here would be sorting separators first and then files within particular separator.
Re: TheIde new look [message #30546 is a reply to message #30544] Fri, 07 January 2011 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MatthiasG is currently offline  MatthiasG
Promising Member
mirek wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 20:44

The question is whether as "one time" operation, or "always sorted" option...

i would vote for an 'always sorted' option...
Re: TheIde new look [message #30547 is a reply to message #30525] Fri, 07 January 2011 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

mr_ped wrote on Thu, 06 January 2011 09:14

you can do it by hand in TheIDE by Ctrl+Alt+arrowsUp/Down (I think).
Or you may open the particular .upp file in OOo Calc (excel?) and use sort on lines (use selection to modify only file names, also take note of separators and sort only inside groups), fix "," ";" at end of file names, save back. Open IDE back.

I missed very often here drag and drop support - it's much more convenient than holding key combo or modifying upp file.
Re: TheIde new look [message #30597 is a reply to message #30547] Tue, 11 January 2011 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
[quote title=unodgs wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 20:56][quote I missed very often here drag and drop support
[/quote]
yeah, me too

considering the filelist ColumnList:

it has a rather weired behavior when scrolling, the content that disappears from one column, will slide in lets say from bottom in the previous column. this makes scrolling less usefull. a la: 'i dont want to see the content again that i moved out of my sight' or 'i expect only unseen things to appear'

i definitely like the slim splitters, lets one focus on really important things.

it'd be great to make the global style persistable / exportable, this means, to simply be able to save all the things even chameleon could read in and later be able to restore / override its settings.

this implys all relevant controls beeing using CH_STYLE, where one can edit and override the StyleDefault i.e.

this also means, that things like size of splitter, not only it's Color is considered style. this is currently not the case.

check out StyleTest, some forst steps on live changing Style infos of some controls / and the colors.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 January 2011 14:41]

Re: TheIde new look [message #30598 is a reply to message #30597] Tue, 11 January 2011 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
kohait00 wrote on Tue, 11 January 2011 08:33

it has a rather weired behavior when scrolling, the content that disappears from one column, will slide in lets say from bottom in the previous column. this makes scrolling less usefull. a la: 'i dont want to see the content again that i moved out of my sight' or 'i expect only unseen things to appear'

Well, but the only alternative is to have items sorted horizontally... Which IMO is much worse.

Or, of course, have only single column.

Having said that, ColumnList already has RowMode (thanks mrjt!).

So the only thing missing is some flag in Setup/Environment (or perhaps even local menu of filelist).
Re: TheIde new look [message #30612 is a reply to message #30598] Wed, 12 January 2011 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
mirek wrote on Wed, 12 January 2011 02:42

kohait00 wrote on Tue, 11 January 2011 08:33

Well, but the only alternative is to have items sorted horizontally... Which IMO is much worse.

Or, of course, have only single column.

Or, do what Windows explorer does when in "list" mode - it shows multiple columns sorted column-wise with a horizontal scroll-bar. When you move the scroll-bar, the display jumps one column at a time - which is really awful to use.

Another possibility is to allow the top and bottom panes to be side by side instead of vertically aligned - but that would waste some screen space by having two full-height scroll-bars.

P.S. I like it the way it is.

Graeme

[Updated on: Wed, 12 January 2011 12:33]

Re: TheIde new look [message #30665 is a reply to message #30485] Sat, 15 January 2011 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
raxvan is currently offline  raxvan
Hello,

I would like to get a bit involved in this because the ide now needs a lot of improvements Smile. First of all i like the 1 pixel border and reminds me of OllyDbg. With this the ide looks alot better but i believe there should be alot of improvements regarding:
1. Ide Colors to be customizable (all of them): Ollydbg has a nice simple yellow as a background, Also SublimeText is very interesting as it uses a dark color as a background, keeping your eyes relaxed after reading alot of text.
See: http://www.sublimetext.com/

2. Ide Icons. This is a must do.
3. Add docking: at least the source file should be detachable from the interface because right now the IDE can't be used with dual monitors.

I believe these are the first thing that have to be addressed.

Thanks,
Raxvan.

92b48bf94855483bb4cec8bcc8c0c933
Re: TheIde new look [message #30713 is a reply to message #30665] Tue, 18 January 2011 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

index.php?t=getfile&id=3043&private=0
  • Attachment: theide.png
    (Size: 126.88KB, Downloaded 1132 times)
Re: TheIde new look [message #30715 is a reply to message #30713] Tue, 18 January 2011 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
Very interesting layout. I like it very much.

Apart from that, I feel that the fonts are too blurry, and both the rendered text and icons lack some contrast. I don't like pure black text, I appreciate a small grey tint, but maybe a little darker... And the icons look nice, but lack contrast too IMHO.

Keep up the effort! I guess we'll need a lot of screenshots from a lot of different people to get a common direction and agreement. Thanks for that.

regards,
Lionel
Re: TheIde new look [message #30717 is a reply to message #30715] Tue, 18 January 2011 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Wow, you certainly have something there! I especially love the package browser, even though it takes up a little to much space. And are those "merged" c++/h entries for files?

Is this done in an image editor or though code?
Re: TheIde new look [message #30719 is a reply to message #30717] Tue, 18 January 2011 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
kohait00 is currently offline  kohait00
Experienced Contributor
definitely cool, the new package explorer gives a lot more space, and it stays in background keeping eye focus on the blank edit screen, for which there is more space now..

the graphics is a second feature, which is more sort of taste related. i also prefer the sharpness to the blurry antialised fonts. but keep going..certainly this is a good direction.
Previous Topic: Docking
Next Topic: v8 JavaScript in U++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:40:44 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01760 seconds